PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll - Week 1

Thunderstruck84
September 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1573177

Team (1st votes) Record Points LW
1. North Dakota State (13) 1-0 671 2
2. Appalachian State (12) 0-1 664 1
3. Richmond (1) 1-0 603 6
4. Massachusetts 1-0 587 5
5. Northern Iowa 0-1 569 4
6. Montana 0-0 539 7
7. Delaware (1) 0-1 519 8
8. James Madison 0-1 482 3
9. McNeese State 0-1 466 10
10. Eastern Washington 0-1 460 9
11. Cal Poly (1) 1-0 435 14
12. Southern Illinois 0-0 427 11
13. Wofford 1-0 349 13
14. Youngstown State 0-1 327 12
15. New Hampshire 0-0 290 16
16. Georgia Southern 0-1 237 17
17. Western Illinois 0-1 179 22
18. Eastern Illinois 0-1 173 18
19. Elon 0-1 160 15
T20. Villanova 0-1 155 19
T20. South Dakota State 0-1 155 20
22. Eastern Kentucky 0-1 113 13
23. The Citadel 1-0 94 23
24. Central Arkansas 1-0 82 25
25. Harvard 0-0 47 24

Other receiving votes: Northern Arizona (39), Fordham (35), Montana State (34), UC Davis (30), Delaware State (29), Sam Houston State (22), Yale (18), Furman (16), Hofstra (13), Holy Cross (11), Liberty (11), South Carolina State (10), Jacksonville State (9), Hampton (7), Tennessee State (5), Florida A&M (5), Prairie View A&M (5), Weber State (4), Maine (4), Sacramento State (3), Dayton (3), Missouri State (2), Grambling State (1), Stony Brook (1).

Thunderstruck84
September 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure if NDSU should've leapfrogged App State yet but take Week 1 polls for what they're worth... not much.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Looks like the coaches were underwhelmed with App's performance against LSU.

ericsaid
September 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Dominate from here on out. I'd hate to be a reciever for Appalachian after that LSU game. Can you say stadium steps?

B&G
September 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Like any FCS school would've fared much better against LSU. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things though.

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Looks like the coaches were underwhelmed with App's performance against LSU.

Looks that way. Reckon we should've scheduled Murray State for our first game. xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
September 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
geez what is it with these crazy polls of 20 people????? this one is included in the AQ this year! NUTZ!!

spelunker64
September 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
geez what is it with these crazy polls of 20 people????? this one is included in the AQ this year! NUTZ!!

Yeah, what do FCS coaches know... xrolleyesx

BisBison
September 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Looks that way. Reckon we should've scheduled Murray State for our first game. xsmiley_wix

Or Austin Peay xwhistlex

Syntax Error
September 1st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, what do FCS coaches know... xrolleyesxis that rhetorical or do you want an answer? xwhistlex

UAalum72
September 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
The article says this one is two coaches from each FCS conference,

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Or Austin Peay xwhistlex

Nah, I'd still rather have a loss against LSU than a win over Austin Peay. xthumbsupx

Congrats on the #1 spot, Bison. xbeerchugx

spelunker64
September 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Nah, I'd still rather have a loss against LSU than a win over Austin Peay. xthumbsupx

Congrats on the #1 spot, Bison. xbeerchugx

not to mention the $$$ I'm sure you received... :D

Syntax Error
September 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
The article says this one is two coaches from each FCS conference,xconfusedx So? it also gave a #1 vote to NDSU AFTER Appalachian State won the national title and NDSU didn't even win their conference. Your point?

Redwyn
September 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM
xconfusedx So? it also gave a #1 vote to NDSU AFTER Appalachian State won the national title and NDSU didn't even win their conference. Your point?

There's a good chance one of the coaches selected to vote was the App State Coach. Not sure if you can vote for your own team. Most conferences have that rule, why not coaches polls for all of FCS?

Syntax Error
September 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
There's a good chance one of the coaches selected to vote was the App State Coach. Not sure if you can vote for your own team. Most conferences have that rule, why not coaches polls for all of FCS?No, the App State coach doesn't vote, they announced who votes. Before last year the coaches poll allowed all coaches to vote. Now the AFCA and CCA say who can vote.

BisonBacker
September 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM
Take it for what it's worth, it's week 1. Most Bison fans now that we are playoff eligible are not worried right now about the poll. Yeah it's nice and all but it is what it is a poll. 10 weeks into the season it would mean a lot more this is only week 1.

smallcollegefbfan
September 1st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Take it for what it's worth, it's week 1. Most Bison fans now that we are playoff eligible are not worried right now about the poll. Yeah it's nice and all but it is what it is a poll. 10 weeks into the season it would mean a lot more this is only week 1.

To me the one in mid December is the only one that truly matters anyway. Afterall, if the early ones mattered then App State would be the champs and I doubt they will win a 4th straight title. They have too many question marks, however, I see them back in the title game in 2009.

AppStFan76
September 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM
If App totaly rolls Jacksonville U and LSU shuts out Troy, does App go back to the #1 spot?

Not that it matters, pre-season and early polls are almost useless, IMO

ASU_MBA
September 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
my money says JMU will be 1-2 and ranked out of the top ten when they play App on Sept 20th.......so much for the hype machine
and App will finish them off in week 4

Which is worse losing to LSU 41-13 or
Duke the football devils 31-7 or
playing some high school named Shorter and winning 35-0

i know the answer.....just curious....

PurpleandGold
September 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
The correct answer to which is worse JMU's loss or App's loss is neither. Neither one will make a difference in November or on Sept. 20 for that matter. I may not like perennially watching JMU tank I-A games, but if we get out with no injuries and having revealed little of the playbook and getting a payday, then it can be viewed as a victory for the program. That said, Saturday was embarrassing.

appfan2008
September 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
I would much rather have lost to lsu 41-13 than lose to duke 31-7.... by far...

Woof
September 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Pretty ironic you are picking on WC for playing Shorter High when the Bulldogs beat up on an on-line secretarial school ? xrolleyesx xoopsx

my money says JMU will be 1-2 and ranked out of the top ten when they play App on Sept 20th.......so much for the hype machine
and App will finish them off in week 4

Which is worse losing to LSU 41-13 or
Duke the football devils 31-7 or
playing some high school named Shorter and winning 35-0

i know the answer.....just curious....

elcid96
September 2nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Dominate from here on out. I'd hate to be a reciever for Appalachian after that LSU game. Can you say stadium steps?

I was watching the game and pulling for the upset and was really upset to see eight dropped passes. I really thought if App receivers could have caught some really good passes by Armanti, then there could have been a game.

elcid96
September 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
The correct answer to which is worse JMU's loss or App's loss is neither. Neither one will make a difference in November or on Sept. 20 for that matter. I may not like perennially watching JMU tank I-A games, but if we get out with no injuries and having revealed little of the playbook and getting a payday, then it can be viewed as a victory for the program. That said, Saturday was embarrassing.

There is only one word to sum up your performance on Saturday. A word so loathed in the football community, that teams will disban before being called this. A word so disgusting that grown men will cry like babies after being called this. A word so haneous, it will cause football players to switch over to badmitton to avoid the stigma. The one word to sum up your performance is "DUKE" Shame on you.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Stang Fever
September 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure if NDSU should've leapfrogged App State yet but take Week 1 polls for what they're worth... not much.

Agreed. APP st lost to LSU... what voter really expects anyteam in FCS to beat them??

james_lawfirm
September 2nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
I don't think NDSU should leapfrog App quite yet.

I saw some positives for App in Baton Rouge:
1) No turnovers;
2) Unbelievable conditioning was evident (e.g., no one cramped up);
3) No serious injuries;
4) No player gave up when we were down;
5) 2 three-&-outs for LSU at the start of the 3rd Q.;
6) Edwards' passing was not the problem - it was the receivers' catching;
7) Our punter was better than LSU's.

To me, based on what I saw in the unbelievable heat confirmed that ASU is still the FCS team to beat. Jacksonville is going to get slammed.

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Wow big drop for JMU, that suprises me. Also UMass should not have moved up at all.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM

Not true, that Duke loss could really sting JMU come November. With all the tough games on their schedule, a win over Duke could have been the difference between getting a seed in the playoffs or even getting a playoff bid. Doing so poorly in a game viewed as winnable could come back to haunt JMU.

Yeah, if you go undefeated the rest of the way, then it won't make any difference, but somehow I don't think that will be happening.

Eaglesrus
September 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
If App totaly rolls Jacksonville U and LSU shuts out Troy, does App go back to the #1 spot?

Not that it matters, pre-season and early polls are almost useless, IMO

Don't know; Jacksonville U. did win Saturday, but then it was Savannah State that they beat.

Black Saturday
September 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Not true, that Duke loss could really sting JMU come November. With all the tough games on their schedule, a win over Duke could have been the difference between getting a seed in the playoffs or even getting a playoff bid. Doing so poorly in a game viewed as winnable could come back to haunt JMU.

Yeah, if you go undefeated the rest of the way, then it won't make any difference, but somehow I don't think that will be happening.

It stings for anyone to start 0-1, APP included. Historically there is only room for 2 more losses. We have to go to JMU, where I'm sure they will be playing well by then wanting to get revenge.xeekx

bluehenbillk
September 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
If UR wins at UVA this week, can a case be made to not have them #1?

mcveyrl
September 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM

I agree that it could come back to haunt us, but the bottom line is we have to finish at least 8-3 to make the playoffs, regardless of whether we beat Duke.

Plus, what if Duke is better than everybody expects? That could factor in too. Everybody acts like we lost to a D2 team. I think UVa and possibly NC State are worse than Duke this year in the ACC, but that's just my opinion.

Having said that about UVA, I think you would almost have to put them at No. 1. They would have two quarlity wins, both on the road. I would definitely be impressed (moreso than I already am, but don't tell the UR folks that xsmiley_wix )

Ultimately, I can take solace (for now) in the fact that none of this really matters. If we don't beat either UMass or App State (or both), our ranking means nothing.

Mountaineer
September 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM

Absolutely. It'd be well deserved too, IMO. xnodx

BDKJMU
September 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
There is only one word to sum up your performance on Saturday. A word so loathed in the football community, that teams will disban before being called this. A word so disgusting that grown men will cry like babies after being called this. A word so haneous, it will cause football players to switch over to badmitton to avoid the stigma. The one word to sum up your performance is "DUKE" Shame on you.xlolx xlolx xlolx

It won't look as bad at the end of the year. I think Duke will win an ACC game or 2, go 4-8. Cutcliffe has a great track record. 6 of his 7 years at Ole Miss he had winning records, including 03' tying for the SEC West title and a Cotton Bowl win. True, Duke will be harder to build a winning program at than Ole Miss. Then again, the ACC isn't the SEC either.

BDKJMU
September 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

I predicted JMU to go 9-2, with one of those losses being to Duke. I'm still sticking to that. Bottom line is 8-3 or better they'll be in the playoffs. 7-4 or worse they'll be sitting at home.

BDKJMU
September 2nd, 2008, 01:56 PM

Absolutely.

Drblankstare
September 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Gotta love the early season FCS coaches assistants poll. xlmaox

BisonBohl
September 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Little surprised with app st falling down, but hey we will take it. Now time to run with it and never look back.

james_lawfirm
September 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I predicted JMU to go 9-2, with one of those losses being to Duke. I'm still sticking to that. Bottom line is 8-3 or better they'll be in the playoffs. 7-4 or worse they'll be sitting at home.

Do the Dukes only play 11 games this season? App plays 12.

Which brings up another question. How is the playoff committee going to compare teams that play 12 games against those that play 11? This will negate the guideline of allowing only at-large teams with 7 wins or more.

danefan
September 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Do the Dukes only play 11 games this season? App plays 12.

Which brings up another question. How is the playoff committee going to compare teams that play 12 games against those that play 11? This will negate the guideline of allowing only at-large teams with 7 wins or more.

Why will it negate the 7 win guidance? 7-4 and 7-5 will still "qualify" for consideration.

You have to win 7 DI games to be considered. Whether you win 7 out of 11 or 7 out of 12 shouldn't matter for consideration.

Now putting a 7-4 up against a 7-5 will be interesting. I would think it will depend on how the committee views "good loses".

Keeper
September 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
How can anyone fairly assess a poll when 14 out of
the top 25 teams are 0-1?. You know who the major
players are. Yet I thought there would a few more
wins by FCS teams over FBS last Saturday. IMO,
Delaware was the toughest looking FCS squad.
But ASU deserves a top two rank until they lose
another game.

srgrizizen
September 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I 'm not sure where they were in the coaches poll before, but I noticed Montana moved up in some other polls by not playing. If they had about five more byes, they'd be #1! But Cal Poly will likely expose tham as overrated, at least this early in the season. Ironic that UM rates higher than Cal Poly in every poll (except on this board), yet nobody thinks they aren't the underdog in this game. How does that workl? So yes, polls are goofy at this stage.

CrazyCat
September 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Why do all the comments such as "the first couple weeks don't matter" all come from teams already at the top of the polls?

RabidRabbit
September 3rd, 2008, 08:54 AM

Yes. If Cal Poly beats Montana convincingly, and a win over San Diego St. already, Cal Poly has a strong, if not stronger case than Richmond through 2 weeks of play.

Thundering_Herd
September 3rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
My 17 cents (and some pocket lint)

1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (has to lose to FCS before they lose #1)
2. North Dakota State Bison (solid all-around. Both running game and passing game strong. Defense may be best I've seen)
3. Cal Poly Mustangs (I've been saying that this is a great team,...going to crush Montana. Still think that they'll play Wisconsin close later!)
4. Richmond Spiders (#4 too high?)
5. Delaware Blue Hens (hung with Maryland)
6. Northern Iowa Panthers (played OK vs. BYU)
7. Eastern Washington Eagles (played OK vs. Texas Tech)
8. Massachusetts Minutemen
9. McNeese State Cowboys (played UNC tough)
10. Georgia Southern Eagles (looked good against Georgia)
11. James Madison Dukes (played like dookie against Duke)
12. Montana Grizzlies (overrated)
13. Southern Illinois Salukis
14. Wofford Terriers
15. Elon Phoenix
16. Western Illinois Leathernecks (was winning most of game against Arkansas. Ark had to score 2 TDs in 4th to win!)
17. Youngstown State Penguins (choked big-time at Ohio State)
18. Villanova Wildcats (played decent againt West Virginia)
19. The Citadel Bulldogs
20. New Hampshire Wildcats (top 20 team?)

Grizaholic17
September 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
My 17 cents (and some pocket lint)

1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (has to lose to FCS before they lose #1)
2. North Dakota State Bison (solid all-around. Both running game and passing game strong. Defense may be best I've seen)
3. Cal Poly Mustangs (I've been saying that this is a great team,...going to crush Montana. Still think that they'll play Wisconsin close later!)
4. Richmond Spiders (#4 too high?)
5. Delaware Blue Hens (hung with Maryland)
6. Northern Iowa Panthers (played OK vs. BYU)
7. Eastern Washington Eagles (played OK vs. Texas Tech)
8. Massachusetts Minutemen
9. McNeese State Cowboys (played UNC tough)
10. Georgia Southern Eagles (looked good against Georgia)
11. James Madison Dukes (played like dookie against Duke)
12. Montana Grizzlies (overrated)
13. Southern Illinois Salukis
14. Wofford Terriers
15. Elon Phoenix
16. Western Illinois Leathernecks (was winning most of game against Arkansas. Ark had to score 2 TDs in 4th to win!)
17. Youngstown State Penguins (choked big-time at Ohio State)
18. Villanova Wildcats (played decent againt West Virginia)
19. The Citadel Bulldogs
20. New Hampshire Wildcats (top 20 team?)

I love ThunderingHerd because of his Montana hatred. I think it's funny. I agree that Montana is too high right now. And that 12 after a loss is way too high. Cal Poly if they beat us should make #3. Montana will drop to #15, all hypothetical of course.
xpeacex

SteelCurtain
September 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM
My top 10 would go like this

1.) App St.
2.) Deleware(very impressive)
3.) Richmond
4.) EWU
5.) UNI
6.) Cal-Poly
7.) NDSU
8.) Montana
9.) Mcneese St.
10.) U Mass

ViennaSpider
September 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Yes. If Cal Poly beats Montana convincingly, and a win over San Diego St. already, Cal Poly has a strong, if not stronger case than Richmond through 2 weeks of play.

Going from #11 to #1 is a bit of a stretch for Cal Poly. On the other hand, it will be hard to deny the Spiders #1, if they beat UVA in Charlottesville.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 5th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Top 10 - IMO:

1. Appalachian State
2. NDSU
3. Richmond
4. Cal-Poly
5. Delaware
6. EWU
7. UNI
8. UMass
9. McNeese
10. Montana

ERASU2113
September 5th, 2008, 10:23 PM
If the Spiders beat UVa they should be #1

Only if Richmond wins would the poll look like this
1. Richmond
2. ASU
3. NDSU

Regardless - I would think ASU might drop to #2 before JMU. That would be only because after Jacksonville they're off. So if Richmond, NDSU, or Delaware was impressive enough they could leapfrog ASU. Errr whoever is #2. Most likely UR or NDSU

Stang Fever
September 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
So just a General Question. What do most of you guys out there think it will take for Cal Poly to be Number 1?

Week 1: Beat SDSU (A TERRIBLE FBS team but FBS non the less) while everyone above them either lost or beat some terrible FCS team

Week 2: Beat Montana? will that do it? Or will still only climb 3-5 spots?

Week 3: Beat Mcneese St? will that do it. Start the season off 3-0

* Its my opinion that 3-0 start would have to put CAL POLY #1 even with NDSU and APP st wins.
Simply put on Strength of Schedule. What do you guys think??? Serious Question?

BisonBacker
September 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM
So just a General Question. What do most of you guys out there think it will take for Cal Poly to be Number 1?

Week 1: Beat SDSU (A TERRIBLE FBS team but FBS non the less) while everyone above them either lost or beat some terrible FCS team

Week 2: Beat Montana? will that do it? Or will still only climb 3-5 spots?

Week 3: Beat Mcneese St? will that do it. Start the season off 3-0

* Its my opinion that 3-0 start would have to put CAL POLY #1 even with NDSU and APP st wins.
Simply put on Strength of Schedule. What do you guys think??? Serious Question?

I think that would hinge a great deal on what NDSU does with Wyoming. If NDSU beats Wyoming I don't see Cal Poly passing NDSU in the rankings.

Poly Pigskin
September 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I think that would hinge a great deal on what NDSU does with Wyoming. If NDSU beats Wyoming I don't see Cal Poly passing NDSU in the rankings.

SDSU and Wyoming are both at the bottom of the MWC, so those wins wash. Beating Montana and McNeese would look better than AP and CCSU. xtwocentsx

grayghost06
September 6th, 2008, 12:53 AM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1573177

Team (1st votes) Record Points LW
1. North Dakota State (13) 1-0 671 2
2. Appalachian State (12) 0-1 664 1
3. Richmond (1) 1-0 603 6
4. Massachusetts 1-0 587 5
5. Northern Iowa 0-1 569 4
6. Montana 0-0 539 7
7. Delaware (1) 0-1 519 8
8. James Madison 0-1 482 3
9. McNeese State 0-1 466 10
10. Eastern Washington 0-1 460 9
11. Cal Poly (1) 1-0 435 14
12. Southern Illinois 0-0 427 11
13. Wofford 1-0 349 13
14. Youngstown State 0-1 327 12
15. New Hampshire 0-0 290 16
16. Georgia Southern 0-1 237 17
17. Western Illinois 0-1 179 22
18. Eastern Illinois 0-1 173 18
19. Elon 0-1 160 15
T20. Villanova 0-1 155 19
T20. South Dakota State 0-1 155 20
22. Eastern Kentucky 0-1 113 13
23. The Citadel 1-0 94 23
24. Central Arkansas 1-0 82 25
25. Harvard 0-0 47 24

Other receiving votes: Northern Arizona (39), Fordham (35), Montana State (34), UC Davis (30), Delaware State (29), Sam Houston State (22), Yale (18), Furman (16), Hofstra (13), Holy Cross (11), Liberty (11), South Carolina State (10), Jacksonville State (9), Hampton (7), Tennessee State (5), Florida A&M (5), Prairie View A&M (5), Weber State (4), Maine (4), Sacramento State (3), Dayton (3), Missouri State (2), Grambling State (1), Stony Brook (1).

While I'm as embarrased as anyone by our performance against Duke, I do have intersesting food for thought: How much would JMU have dropped if they lost a road game to a team ranked 11th-25th in FCS??...Would it have been more than the 5-7 slots we dropped after losing to Duke? You could make the argument that it would have been no different. We all think that the top FCS teams can ( on AGS ) compete w/ a team like Duke based on Dukes' history, but I think we're also realistic enough to say that even in Duke's worst years, they'd still be a top 25 FCS team. And this years Duke team is much quicker and talented along the lines than in previous years. Hopefully the same bias against Duke will even out should they play tough the rest of the year as I suspect they will.