View Full Version : MEAC Week 1

DSUrocks07
September 1st, 2008, 06:42 AM
Half of the conference was in action this week. Hampton, Florida A&M, North Carolina A&T, Norfolk State and South Carolina State, with four out of the five picking up victories.

Hampton vs Jackson St. in Orlando (MEAC/SWAC Challenge)
Pirates 17 - Tigers 13
Annual MEAC/SWAC Challenge matchup pitting the defending SWAC champion JSU against the annual preseason favorite Pirates. Herbert Bynes shook off a rough start to lead Hampton back from a 7-3 halftime deficit to the victory. Tigers had over 100 more total yards than the Pirates but could not put together enough scoring drives.

South Carolina State @ Central Florida (I-A C-USA)
Knights 17 - Bulldogs 0
The Bulldogs traveled to UCF and surprisingly made a game out of this by holding the Knights to just 7 points going into the 4th quarter. SCSU's defense looks great and if their offense can come together the 'dogs will make some noise this year in the MEAC.

Alabama State (SWAC) @ Florida A&M
Rattlers 30 - Hornets 20
The Hornets had more rushing yards and twice as many passing yards than FAMU (253-124) but three costly turnovers giving the Rattlers a short field were too much to overcome in this contest.

Virginia State (D-II) @ Norfolk State
Spartans 47 - Trojans 7
The Spartans cruised to victory in their annual rivalry game against Virginia State.

Johnson Smith (D-II) @ North Carolina A&T
Aggies 44 - Golden Bulls 12
The streak is over. A&T picks up their first victory in 27 games albeit against a D-II school. They hope to parlay this into a good offensive showing against the Rams at home next week.

Week 2 games:

Florida A&M @ Delaware State* (on ESPNU)
Hampton @ Southern Illnois
Winston-Salem @ North Carolina A&T*
Norfolk State @ Kentucky
Georgetown @ Howard
Morgan State @ Towson
Alabama State @ Bethune-Cookman
Benedict @ South Carolina State

*conference games

Tribe4SF
September 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM
Two interesting matchups this week as Hampton takes on the Salukis, and FAMU faces Delaware State. We'll get a read on how the MEAC stacks up from the Hampton game, and whether FAMU is going to be a player in the conference this year.

R.A.
September 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
We had a good week one. Hampton @ S. Illinios, Morgan @ Towson, Alabama State @ Bethune-Cookman, and Georgetown @ Howard are big games for our Mid- Eastern Athletic Conference next weekend. We want all of those games.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'd like to wish Hampton the worst of luck in Carbondale.
xwhistlex

93henfan
September 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Good luck to DelState v FAMU on ESPNU on Thursday night. Heck, I might swing by and check that one out. Should I wear my new Under Armour Delaware jersey?xlolx DSURocks, you got my back, right?xsmiley_wix

DSUrocks07
September 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Good luck to DelState v FAMU on ESPNU on Thursday night. Heck, I might swing by and check that one out. Should I wear my new Under Armour Delaware jersey?xlolx DSURocks, you got my back, right?xsmiley_wix

I plan on being there...I'll look for the one blue jeresy in the crowd xlolx

Big Dawg
September 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
Nice review.

FAMU vs. DSU is going to be a good one. Also SCSU may be the most dangerous team in the MEAC this season.

DSUrocks07
September 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'd like to wish Hampton the worst of luck in Carbondale.
xwhistlex

And I hope that they beat the snot out of those Salukis xthumbsupx

all in the spirit of competition of course xrotatehx

G.S.Green
September 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Looking for a great game in Carbondale. HU gave SIU a template for beating them by providing a tight game video from the JSU game.

Offense looked shaky early and not too imaginative. Let's see if we can make a game of it.

PantherRob82
September 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
My predicition is SIU over HU by 17

DSUrocks07
September 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Week 2 predictions:

DSU 35-31
SIU 28-17
WSSU 21-20
Norfolk State @ Kentucky
UK 45-10
Georgetown @ Howard
Howard 28-3
Morgan State @ Towson
Towson 21-14
BCC 35-20
SCSU 24-3

*conference games

B&G
September 2nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Week 2 predictions:

DSU 35-31
SIU 28-17
WSSU 21-20
Norfolk State @ Kentucky
UK 45-10
Georgetown @ Howard
Howard 28-3
Morgan State @ Towson
Towson 21-14
BCC 35-20
SCSU 24-3

*conference games

I agree with your winners but I think the Howard game will be a little closer while the SCSU game will be more of a blowout. Didn't Benedict stop playing them for awhile because SCSU was beating them too badly?

DSUrocks07
September 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with your winners but I think the Howard game will be a little closer while the SCSU game will be more of a blowout. Didn't Benedict stop playing them for awhile because SCSU was beating them too badly?

The Howard game may be a little closer, I don't know too much about the G'Town football program or their recent competitive history. I'm not so sure about SCSU scoring much more than 24 points (maybe 30 tops). They still need to get their offense on the same page. With their defense, there's a really good chance of a shutout.

ASU88
September 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Congrats to NCA&T for finally getting a win and ending their 27 game losing streak (4th longest in 1AA-FCS history.)

DSUrocks07
September 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Congrats to NCA&T for finally getting a win and ending their 27 game losing streak (4th longest in 1AA-FCS history.)

even though its over a D-II school...but when you're A&T you'll take what you can get xwhistlex

Big Dawg
September 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Actually I believe we will pull off the upset on Thursday...

gr8ness97
September 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM

nothing like buying your way out a losing streak....

Big Dawg
September 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Actually I believe we will pull off the upset on Thursday and SCSU will blowout Benedict.

DSUrocks07
September 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Actually I believe we will pull off the upset on Thursday and SCSU will blowout Benedict.

I think that we may surprise the MEAC again this year...not guaranteeing a conf. title but word on the street is that our run last year was a fluke so our squad still has that chip on its shoulder...I hope that its a great game xthumbsupx

bigchocolate
September 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
The Howard game may be a little closer, I don't know too much about the G'Town football program or their recent competitive history. I'm not so sure about SCSU scoring much more than 24 points (maybe 30 tops). They still need to get their offense on the same page. With their defense, there's a really good chance of a shutout.

SCSU didn't open their playbook this past weekend...they run a spread offense but only attempted 16 passes the entire day. They should put up 50 point this weekend with at least 14 being scored by their defense. Its too bad holding Central Florida to 7 points through 3 quarter doesn't warrant any respect in the polls. For those that say its early and it doesn't matter...Remove your team when you know they are one of the better FCS teams and see the reaction of your fan base.xwhistlex

B&G
September 2nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
SCSU didn't open their playbook this past weekend...they run a spread offense but only attempted 16 passes the entire day. They should put up 50 point this weekend with at least 14 being scored by their defense. Its too bad holding Central Florida to 7 points through 3 quarter doesn't warrant any respect in the polls. For those that say its early and it doesn't matter...Remove your team when you know they are one of the better FCS teams and see the reaction of your fan base.xwhistlex

If SCSU doesn't win the MEAC this season would Coach Buddy Pough's job be in jeopardy? Seems like the fanbase is growing a little impatient.

ASU88
September 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
nothing like buying your way out a losing streak....

I think when a streak starts getting THAT long, whatever you have to do to get past it and move on is probably good for the program.

It may not be a "quality win," but since it was a blowout it could help their confidence.

bigchocolate
September 2nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
If SCSU doesn't win the MEAC this season would Coach Buddy Pough's job be in jeopardy? Seems like the fanbase is growing a little impatient.

I'm not a part of the decision making body @ SCSU but I would say Buddy's job is safe. Continuity is a major key to success...I think Moore has been @ ASU for over 15 years. You guys have fielded some good team across the years but only in the last 4 or 5 years have you enjoyed the cummulative success of that longevity. I believe that if SCSU can keep some solid assistant coaches in place for more than 1 or 2 year they will be Okay.xnodx

DSUrocks07
September 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I know that they're not officially in the MEAC just yet but how about this one for a shocker?

Fayetteville State 33 (D-II CIAA)
NCCU 22xeekx

Hey Eagles what happened?

G.S.Green
September 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
No love for the Pirates in a contest at Carbondale.

Intrepid
September 3rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Actually I believe we will pull off the upset on Thursday...

It is possible since FAMU failed to provide DSU with a game tape but you'll be in for a long night.

Good luck!!!

WileECoyote06
September 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I think when a streak starts getting THAT long, whatever you have to do to get past it and move on is probably good for the program.

It may not be a "quality win," but since it was a blowout it could help their confidence.

Last year A & T was a team who didn't know how to win. Five of their games last year were decided in the fourth quarter. The Aggies have grown up, and are playing upperclassmen, while the Rams are reloading.

As much as I dislike A & T, I think they get capture a win this weekend over WSSU.

Bulldog87
September 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM
SCSU didn't open their playbook this past weekend...they run a spread offense but only attempted 16 passes the entire day. They should put up 50 point this weekend with at least 14 being scored by their defense. Its too bad holding Central Florida to 7 points through 3 quarter doesn't warrant any respect in the polls. For those that say its early and it doesn't matter...Remove your team when you know they are one of the better FCS teams and see the reaction of your fan base.xwhistlexIf we beat BCU next week and play well at Clemson on the 20th we'll break into the top 25. Our defense played a great game at UCF. If they stay healthy and we can get the offense together the DOGS will be a force like we were in the 70's and early 80's. Hopefully UCF will play well or beat #17 South Florida this weekend. It'll make our loss get the respect you're talking about. Benedict won't score on SCSU's Defense if we play like we did Saturday. Pough won't run up the score on the Tigers. SCSU 48-Benedict 0. Looking forward to FAMU vs DSU tonight.xthumbsupx

WileECoyote06
September 4th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I know that they're not officially in the MEAC just yet but how about this one for a shocker?

Fayetteville State 33 (D-II CIAA)
NCCU 22xeekx

Hey Eagles what happened?

Can't beat many teams when you have five turnovers and your senior receivers drop 5 passes between them.

Other than that, I have no excuses for that performance. It looks like it's going to be an extremely long season. We need to go ahead and let some of these tall freshmen receivers and tight ends get some good reps this year.

G.S.Green
September 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Can't beat many teams when you have five turnovers and your senior receivers drop 5 passes between them.

Other than that, I have no excuses for that performance. It looks like it's going to be an extremely long season. We need to go ahead and let some of these tall freshmen receivers and tight ends get some good reps this year.

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me. Better get your act together quickly if you want some inkling respect on this board.

WileECoyote06
September 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Sounds like a lot of excuses to me. Better get your act together quickly if you want some inkling respect on this board.

Didn't really ask for respect xrolleyesx ; but either way, I'm just enjoying the FCS ride. The eagles will be okay. You guys worry about SIU, and we'll prepare for JMU.

HIU 93
September 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Why the hate for Central?

G.S.Green
September 4th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Didn't really ask for respect xrolleyesx ; but either way, I'm just enjoying the FCS ride. The eagles will be okay. You guys worry about SIU, and we'll prepare for JMU.

I think we'll be OK. Sounded like a little whine with that cheese about the 5 TOs and dropped passes. If you thought last week was tough, JMU is a serious step up in competition.

G.S.Green
September 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Why the hate for Central?

No hate here, he just sounded kind of, well xbawlingx about how they lost.

WileECoyote06
September 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I think we'll be OK. Sounded like a little whine with that cheese about the 5 TOs and dropped passes. If you thought last week was tough, JMU is a serious step up in competition.

Dude asked a question, I answered. And believe me, we are well aware of how daunting our schedule is this year.

B&G
September 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Week 2 predictions:

DSU 35-31

*conference games

Pretty good so far.

DSUrocks07
September 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Pretty good so far.

I was close...I was expecting FAMU to squeeze in a field goal during the game...but with our defense its either feast or famine for the other team...there are a lot of things that need to be improved on.

G.S.Green
September 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I can't believe HU got so little love this week. The face SIU this week and they are ranked at #12.

R.A.
September 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
No love for the Pirates in a contest at Carbondale.

Hampton Institute's gonna win!

G.S.Green
September 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hampton Institute's gonna win!

I'm with you bro.

DSUrocks07
September 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Week 2 predictions:

DSU 35-31
SIU 28-17
WSSU 21-20
Norfolk State @ Kentucky
UK 45-10
Georgetown @ Howard
Howard 28-3
Morgan State @ Towson
Towson 21-14