PDA

View Full Version : Darren Rizzi is GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cobblestone
August 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
YES that is a strong statement but...

I saw a much more disciplined team today than I have seen in years. How nice it was to see a west coast style offense instead of the outdated Tim Stowers "pitch the ball back 5 yards on third and short" type offense.

It wasn't a pretty win (27-24) over Monmouth but for Rizzi to do with this team what he did in such a short time with so many new faces on the roster, I think is pretty remarkable. We need some work on the kickoff team but I want to congratulate our WR's, most of who haven't seen a pass in years. They showed they can catch the ball and our QB Cassidy can throw the ball when given the chance.

On defense we had some nice pops. Our DL got penetration today but should have made more tackles in the backfield.

On a VERY sad note Joe Casey went down. I do not know the extent of the injury but it looked like a broken fibula from where I was. I pray that I am wrong and he comes back. Nice job by Jimmy Hughes in filling in for him. On defense, special recognition to Jeff Ball and Terence Glenn. Glenn looks like a real athlete. Not only at CB but on special teams as well.

All in all a nice way to start the Rizzi era.

GO COACH RIZZI!

P.S. Congrats to Delaware on giving Maryland all they could handle. I watched the second half of the game and your defense looked great.

Fordham
August 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Congrats Cobblestone. Should be an interesting game next week in the Bronx. Can't wait.

mrklean
August 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
YES that is a strong statement but...

I saw a much more disciplined team today than I have seen in years. How nice it was to see a west coast style offense instead of the outdated Tim Stowers "pitch the ball back 5 yards on third and short" type offense.

It wasn't a pretty win (27-24) over Monmouth but for Rizzi to do with this team what he did in such a short time with so many new faces on the roster, I think is pretty remarkable. We need some work on the kickoff team but I want to congratulate our WR's, most of who haven't seen a pass in years. They showed they can catch the ball and our QB Cassidy can throw the ball when given the chance.

On defense we had some nice pops. Our DL got penetration today but should have made more tackles in the backfield.

On a VERY sad note Joe Casey went down. I do not know the extent of the injury but it looked like a broken fibula from where I was. I pray that I am wrong and he comes back. Nice job by Jimmy Hughes in filling in for him. On defense, special recognition to Jeff Ball and Terence Glenn. Glenn looks like a real athlete. Not only at CB but on special teams as well.

All in all a nice way to start the Rizzi era.

GO COACH RIZZI!

P.S. Congrats to Delaware on giving Maryland all they could handle. I watched the second half of the game and your defense looked great.

Its not the offense, its the players and the coach. You can run the single wing and if you have a good coach you will win. And that outdated offense, it worked at GSU, NAVY and will at Ga. Tech.

401ks
August 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I see that Rhode Island's new freshman kicker, Louis Feinstein (from my sons' high school - University High in Irvine, California) kicked a couple of field goals (one for 47 yards), handled most of the kickoffs and even placed a punt inside the 20 yard line. xthumbsupx

Go Lewis! Go Rams!

Cobblestone
August 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I see that Rhode Island's new freshman kicker, Louis Feinstein (from my sons' high school - University High in Irvine, California) kicked a couple of field goals (one for 47 yards), handled most of the kickoffs and even placed a punt inside the 20 yard line. xthumbsupx

Go Lewis! Go Rams!

He missed one FG attempt but I like him. I think our kicking game is in good shape with him.

Cobblestone
August 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Congrats Cobblestone. Should be an interesting game next week in the Bronx. Can't wait.

Thanks. You guys always play us tough.

Cobblestone
August 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Its not the offense, its the players and the coach. You can run the single wing and if you have a good coach you will win. And that outdated offense, it worked at GSU, NAVY and will at Ga. Tech.

...which is why we BOTH got rid of Stowers.

Seawolf97
August 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Congratulations to the URI Rams! Nice startxthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
August 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Congrats on the win, i was trying to keep up with the score throughout the day. It sounds like it was a battle but that shows the team has some moxy to hold on for the win.

That's too bad about Casey, hopefully it's not as bad as you thought and he can come back.

dgreco
August 31st, 2008, 08:51 AM
good win for URI. Keep up the momentum.

JMG1MON
August 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM
To the URI fans who watched the game did Monmouth run no huddle (besides the last few minutes of the game)?

Bos8
September 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Cobblestone, thanks for the post. I wont be able to make too many Rhody games this year, as I had to relocate down to Maryland for work. I am looking forward to the Towson game, and I may come up for homecoming.

How did Cassidy look? His stats were fairly impressive, but listening to the game, it sounded like he missed some throws he should have made. I am interested to hear why Stefkovich didn't get some reps, seeing as how the competition was much hyped during the offseason. I have heard that Stefkovich is a better pocket passer, and I have been wanting to see him get some PT for the past couple of seasons. Maybe he will get some reps next week.
The defense sounded solid, especially early in the game. I feel as though our weak defense has always started in with the defensive line. We failed to get pressure on opposing QBs, and RBs were always able to get past the line of scrimmage, causing our safeties and line backers to have high tackle numbers. I am encouraged by the performance of former WVU commit, Steven Weedon who was moved to DE. Adesanya, the transfer sounded solid like he was also getting to the QB from the other side. Our secondary also sounded good, with many people praising the performance of Terrence Glenn. How did Jimmy Young look at the other CB spot? In the past, I have thought that he looked over matched against slot receivers, as he was constantly getting beat. It will be interesting to see how he fares this season.

Hopefully we have a good game next week. Unlike their basketball team, their football team is nothing to take lightly. When we played them last year, I was very impressed by their QB. Is he still there? He tore us up last season.

Fordham
September 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Hopefully we have a good game next week. Unlike their basketball team, their football team is nothing to take lightly. When we played them last year, I was very impressed by their QB. Is he still there? He tore us up last season.
John Skelton is a junior. Should be a great game.

Cobblestone
September 1st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Cobblestone, thanks for the post. I wont be able to make too many Rhody games this year, as I had to relocate down to Maryland for work. I am looking forward to the Towson game, and I may come up for homecoming.

How did Cassidy look? His stats were fairly impressive, but listening to the game, it sounded like he missed some throws he should have made. I am interested to hear why Stefkovich didn't get some reps, seeing as how the competition was much hyped during the offseason. I have heard that Stefkovich is a better pocket passer, and I have been wanting to see him get some PT for the past couple of seasons. Maybe he will get some reps next week.
The defense sounded solid, especially early in the game. I feel as though our weak defense has always started in with the defensive line. We failed to get pressure on opposing QBs, and RBs were always able to get past the line of scrimmage, causing our safeties and line backers to have high tackle numbers. I am encouraged by the performance of former WVU commit, Steven Weedon who was moved to DE. Adesanya, the transfer sounded solid like he was also getting to the QB from the other side. Our secondary also sounded good, with many people praising the performance of Terrence Glenn. How did Jimmy Young look at the other CB spot? In the past, I have thought that he looked over matched against slot receivers, as he was constantly getting beat. It will be interesting to see how he fares this season.

BOS,

Best wishes in Maryland. It's a nice state, I spent some vacation time there; enjoy.

Cassidy looked pretty good. Most of his passes were on target and he put up some good numbers. I'm just glad our WR's finally got some balls thrown their way.

I thought Stefkovich looked great in the spring game and I thought the starting job was his. But if Cassidy continues to play the way he did yesterday then I have no problem with him holding on to his job.

Terrence Glenn is an athlete. He looked good at CB and on special teams as well. I feel pretty good with him fielding punts and/or kickoffs. Steven Weedon looked good and had some nice pops. Overall the defense looks much improved over last season. We certainly have a better DC (Joe Trainer) than during the Stowers years. In fact when Stowers was around we had a different DC every season. It looks like we've got some stability on that side of the ball; about time.

One thing for sure, the team is more disciplined than it was during the laid back Stowers years. I like the piss and vinegar I see from Rizzi and staff. That kind of motivation and discipline is contagious. In the words of Bruce Springsteen "These Are Better Days".

Fordham is always tough and I don't look forward to seeing them again. I'll be ecstatic if we get out of the Bronx with a win. The news about Casey is not good so there goes a good part of our running game. Let's hope we've got some depth back there.

Again, best wishes in Maryland. Stay off that idiot PROJO.COM board. Those dumbasses can't even spell football.

GO COACH RIZZI, GO RAMS!

Cobblestone
September 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
To the URI fans who watched the game did Monmouth run no huddle (besides the last few minutes of the game)?

xnodx

Your guy Cinesi (#30) is a bruiser. He went down foir a little while with what appeared to be a hand injury or something. I knew he'd be back and he did indeed come back. He's one tough dude.

Bos8
September 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Cassidy can be hit or miss. He looked real good against Army throwing the ball last season, but never regained that form the rest of the season.

We do appear to have some talent for Cassidy to throw the ball too. Leonard is very athletic, although he doesn't have the best pair of hands. Evans has shown flashes. We have some big targets with 6'5'' Nick Del Grasso at WR and 6'6'' David Wilson (local product) at TE. Everything I've read about Ty Bynum has been good as well. Maryland transfer Stephen Smalls has good press clippings as well. It will be interesting to see what Iowa transfer Blake Zundel brings to the table, although I didn't see him on the participation report for Saturday.

Did they get a lot of pressure on Cassidy? One of my big concerns with the new spread offense is that our QB wont have enough time. Especially with the loss of Casey, teams might be able to bring pressure on our undersized line, with out worrying about staying honest with the run.

Our new QB/WR coach, Mark Fabish came over from Monmouth.

Seawolf97
September 1st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Its good to see the URI fans upbeat this season . Glad to see your program getting back track. Now to get you on our schedule:)

Cobblestone
September 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Cassidy can be hit or miss. He looked real good against Army throwing the ball last season, but never regained that form the rest of the season.

We do appear to have some talent for Cassidy to throw the ball too. Leonard is very athletic, although he doesn't have the best pair of hands. Evans has shown flashes. We have some big targets with 6'5'' Nick Del Grasso at WR and 6'6'' David Wilson (local product) at TE. Everything I've read about Ty Bynum has been good as well. Maryland transfer Stephen Smalls has good press clippings as well. It will be interesting to see what Iowa transfer Blake Zundel brings to the table, although I didn't see him on the participation report for Saturday.

Did they get a lot of pressure on Cassidy? One of my big concerns with the new spread offense is that our QB wont have enough time. Especially with the loss of Casey, teams might be able to bring pressure on our undersized line, with out worrying about staying honest with the run.

Our new QB/WR coach, Mark Fabish came over from Monmouth.

Yeah I thought they did. Our OL is not exactly huge. Cassidy will have to do all his throwing from the shotgun this season. With Casey no gone, Cassidy will be passing more this season than he has in his previous three years as a starter. Hughes does a nice job as a situational back but I'm not sure if he's an every down type back. It now looks like he'll have to be.

I do like our receiving corps. It appears that this is the area that Rizzi concentrated on the most during recruiting. Hopefully it will payoff in a major way.

JMG1MON
September 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Cobble, I'm glad to hear we did run the no huddle offense. I had a feeling something was up with Sinisi. I was at the Yankees game but I have ESPN MVP on my cell and was able to get play by play of the game. I was wondering why Giles was in for a while. You don't normally take out the guy who is on the verge of breaking every single Monmouth rushing record in a game that you are trying to come back in.

BTW, Sinisi is only a redshirt junior. Has another year of eligibility left!!!