PDA

View Full Version : CCU - TSN Prediction

bodoyle
October 26th, 2005, 08:13 AM
VMI (3-5) at No. 13 Coastal Carolina (6-1), 12:30

Saturday wasn’t a good day for the Chanticleers’ playoff hopes. Coastal had a shocking struggle in a three-overtime, 27-21, win against Liberty. That’s the same Liberty team that sits at 1-7 and lost to Towson by 21, Youngstown State by 42 and William & Mary by 56. To make matters worse, James Madison and South Carolina State both lost games to fall on the playoff bubble and take some luster off those early-season wins by the Chanticleers. The Chants do deserve credit for winning four games in the final minute, and should finish 10-1 easily if they get by VMI. The Keydets endured a three-overtime game of their own on Saturday, but ultimately fell to Gardner-Webb, 55-52. VMI is only 3-5, but did play well in a loss to Lehigh. With close games in the past two weeks, the Chants don’t show any signs of being able to blow out the Keydets. Coastal Carolina probably isn’t one of the top 16 teams in the country right now, but it does know how to win. The Chants pull another victory out, and keep the pressure on everyone else in the playoff chase. Prediction: Coastal Carolina 24, VMI 17

AppGuy04
October 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM
pretty accurate and honest

windwalker
October 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
pretty accurate and honest

Gosh... I am actually agreeing with AppGuy04 !!! Will wonders never cease???

SoCon48
October 26th, 2005, 11:23 AM
VMI (3-5) at No. 13 Coastal Carolina (6-1), 12:30

Saturday wasn’t a good day for the Chanticleers’ playoff hopes. Coastal had a shocking struggle in a three-overtime, 27-21, win against Liberty. That’s the same Liberty team that sits at 1-7 and lost to Towson by 21, Youngstown State by 42 and William & Mary by 56. To make matters worse, James Madison and South Carolina State both lost games to fall on the playoff bubble and take some luster off those early-season wins by the Chanticleers. The Chants do deserve credit for winning four games in the final minute, and should finish 10-1 easily if they get by VMI. The Keydets endured a three-overtime game of their own on Saturday, but ultimately fell to Gardner-Webb, 55-52. VMI is only 3-5, but did play well in a loss to Lehigh. With close games in the past two weeks, the Chants don’t show any signs of being able to blow out the Keydets. Coastal Carolina probably isn’t one of the top 16 teams in the country right now, but it does know how to win. The Chants pull another victory out, and keep the pressure on everyone else in the playoff chase. Prediction: Coastal Carolina 24, VMI 17

VMI does deserve CCU's attention. Afterall, they are 3-5 compared to Liberty'
s 1-7. Maybe 4 OT's?

"Pull another one out?" At some time or another, CCU's got to start "putting them away" instead vs these losing teams if the play-offs are to be considered.

bodoyle
October 26th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Hell why don't we just start in overtime format since everyone says it'll go OT? I mean what's the point in playing 4 quarters?

SoCon48
October 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hell why don't we just start in overtime format since everyone says it'll go OT? I mean what's the point in playing 4 quarters?

Good point!! Except these 1-7, 3-5 guys need to earn the right first.

JALMOND
October 26th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Gosh... I am actually agreeing with AppGuy04 !!! Will wonders never cease???

You look at other teams objectively and you'll be surprised at who you might agree with and who you don't.

I don't think I've ever agreed 100% with all the posters here, yet I also don't think I've ever disagreed 100% with all the posters either. This is a discussion board, not an arguement.

SoCon48
October 27th, 2005, 08:30 AM
You look at other teams objectively and you'll be surprised at who you might agree with and who you don't.

I don't think I've ever agreed 100% with all the posters here, yet I also don't think I've ever disagreed 100% with all the posters either. This is a discussion board, not an arguement.

Disscussion board, not an argument.

Good point! It would be great if everybody knew that.

Jaques
October 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Right...but when it comes to CCU you don't discuss at all.
You slam, tell us how much we suck because we lost to App State, apparently the only real team we've played, treat us like the fat kid on the playground with boogers hanging out of his nose. :mad: I haven't read a "discussion" yet about CCU.

We all know that we should have beaten Liberty easily and we don't need you to remind us, but if this site means what I think it means...on any given Saturday, anybody can beat anybody.

It's obvious that no matter what we do, it won't make a difference. We could beat VMI by 50 on Saturday, and it wouldn't be enough because App St. could beat them by 55.

It's just getting very old.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
As a Lehigh fan i gotta pull for VMI in this one. A 10-1 CCU team hanging around would seriously hinder a 9-2 Lehigh teams chances to make the playoffs. In fact i think CCU is the PL's major roadblock between getting 1 or 2 teams in assuming Holy Cross earns the auto-bid. VMI will give CCU fits, they're deffinately an improved team over las year. Having them at home though is a nice advantage, not like playing in Lexington on homecomming, that was a mistake. ;)

Jaques
October 27th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I agree...it will be a great game and the turnout for homecoming is expected to be the largest yet. i hope we can pull it out...in regulation.

AppGuy04
October 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM
You slam, tell us how much we suck because we lost to App State, apparently the only real team we've played, treat us like the fat kid on the playground with boogers hanging out of his nose. :mad: I haven't read a "discussion" yet about CCU.

We all know that we should have beaten Liberty easily and we don't need you to remind us, but if this site means what I think it means...on any given Saturday, anybody can beat anybody.

It's obvious that no matter what we do, it won't make a difference. We could beat VMI by 50 on Saturday, and it wouldn't be enough because App St. could beat them by 55.

actually to begin with, all this "slamming" as you call it, came about because some CCU fans were "demanding respect." Now for me to give you guys respect, then yes, you should beat liberty by atleast 3 or 4 scores, not take them to 3OT's. You bring this on yourself, and its very simple to fix. Beat who you are supposed to beat, which you have done, but not in the fashion that is expected of a team "demanding respect" at this level. Thats all. Play like you should and you will get plenty of respect. Now thats a discussion, not a slam.

Jaques
October 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM
But...you're deliberately ignoring big wins we've had and downplaying certain teams that may not be having the year they had last year. At the time we played them they were the #1 team in the country. That win alone should earn us some respect. After a certain drubbing in Boone we dropped out of any rankings, our oppenent the next week was top 20 and we won, never giving up. Nobody on this site thought Coastal would be 4-1 after the first 5 games. not even us fans. but we did and we are now 7-1.
I don't think anybody is demanding respect, it's just too bad some people are guttless to recognize it. Coastal fans have had nothing but respect for all teams we've played and know that App State is a program worth striving for. All we've been doing since we've had football is defending ourselves for one thing or another especially on AGS. But we belong here and we're not going away!

And don't bash Coastal for where they are in the polls, bash the people who make the polls.

Rock on.

AppGuy04
October 27th, 2005, 01:54 PM
But...you're deliberately ignoring big wins we've had and downplaying certain teams that may not be having the year they had last year. At the time we played them they were the #1 team in the country. That win alone should earn us some respect. After a certain drubbing in Boone we dropped out of any rankings, our oppenent the next week was top 20 and we won, never giving up. Nobody on this site thought Coastal would be 4-1 after the first 5 games. not even us fans. but we did and we are now 7-1.
I don't think anybody is demanding respect, it's just too bad some people are guttless to recognize it. Coastal fans have had nothing but respect for all teams we've played and know that App State is a program worth striving for. All we've been doing since we've had football is defending ourselves for one thing or another especially on AGS. But we belong here and we're not going away!

And don't bash Coastal for where they are in the polls, bash the people who make the polls.

Rock on.

i have explained this plenty of times why i don't think you guys are that good

1. JMU is NOT the #1 team in the nation any longer, they are not the same team they were last year, and their games since then have shown that
2. Other than the APP game, and we all know how that went, the only other decent team you have played, and barely beaten for that matter was SC State, if you look at their schedule, they have played NOBODY other than Hampton, and they lost that. IMHO, they should not be a top 25 team.
3. Taking the last 2 games that you took to OT were just pathetic, PERIOD!

Jaques
October 28th, 2005, 09:26 AM
i have explained this plenty of times why i don't think you guys are that good

1. JMU is NOT the #1 team in the nation any longer, they are not the same team they were last year, and their games since then have shown that
2. Other than the APP game, and we all know how that went, the only other decent team you have played, and barely beaten for that matter was SC State, if you look at their schedule, they have played NOBODY other than Hampton, and they lost that. IMHO, they should not be a top 25 team.
3. Taking the last 2 games that you took to OT were just pathetic, PERIOD!

like i said...guttless.. so I guess having the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS on our schedule was a mistake because we should have known that they weren't the team they were last year so beating them would do nothing for us...i see...makes perfect sense. i don't think you win a game and three weeks later determine if that win was worth anything.
So IF...take it easy...i said IF...Coastal had beaten App State the our season would have some validity to it? :confused:

AppGuy04
October 28th, 2005, 09:29 AM
like i said...guttless.. so I guess having the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS on our schedule was a mistake because we should have known that they weren't the team they were last year so beating them would do nothing for us...i see...makes perfect sense. i don't think you win a game and three weeks later determine if that win was worth anything.
So IF...take it easy...i said IF...Coastal had beaten App State the our season would have some validity to it? :confused:

actually, personally, if the game had been close i would give you guys some credit for it

but to be honest, the last two OT games show me more than the JMU or the App game

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM
actually, personally, if the game had been close i would give you guys some credit for it

but to be honest, the last two OT games show me more than the JMU or the App game

Actually the JMU game at Coastal showed me a lot. Just didn't know at the time it was because JMU was no longer anywhere near being NC's THIS year.
If JMU was ranked then where they ended up now, there wouldn't have been so much hype. The more JMU drops, the more I start to agree that the SC State was just as important..or un-important. :p

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM

I dunno. Had we lost to Coastal, then we wouldn't have had that game to PROPEL us up into the standings from like 37th or whatever. :eek:

JALMOND
October 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Jaques---

I have put my reasons down on a bunch of threads as to why I don't think Coastal is good enough to make the playoffs this year in order to facilitate a discussion as to why Coastal should be considered. All I've got from Coastal fans is that I suck and that I can't even offer an opinion as to why Coastal does not belong in the playoffs. I've been on this site for two years and have followed the I-AA for 20 years. No Coastal fan has offered an objective opinion as to why Coastal should be in the playoffs. They tell me that I hate them and that I suck (some disagreement).

You are right, this whole thing is getting old.

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Jaques---

I have put my reasons down on a bunch of threads as to why I don't think Coastal is good enough to make the playoffs this year in order to facilitate a discussion as to why Coastal should be considered. All I've got from Coastal fans is that I suck and that I can't even offer an opinion as to why Coastal does not belong in the playoffs. I've been on this site for two years and have followed the I-AA for 20 years. No Coastal fan has offered an objective opinion as to why Coastal should be in the playoffs. They tell me that I hate them and that I suck (some disagreement).

Did you expect anything different from them? A conversation based on factual information with some of them is nearly impossible. two who . If you tell why team A is somewhat better than Coastal, they say you're saying your team is the world's best. Some think their win over JMU should automatically guarantee them a spot in the play-offs, no matter what a more challenging road others have to face week-in week-out.
A couple of the fans, though understand the SOS factor and it's not just W-L record that matters.
Reminds me of my high school days. We were 7-3 facing a 10-0 team from a weak conference (in fact composed of a few teams from a lower classification) in the play-offs. Due to their record, they got the home field. Needless to say, we annihilated them by 4 TD's. They still think it was their coach's fault they lost. :cool:

Jaques
October 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I dunno. Had we lost to Coastal, then we wouldn't have had that game to PROPEL us up into the standings from like 37th or whatever. :eek:

I have no idea what your talking about. :confused:

SoCon48
October 28th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I have no idea what your talking about. :confused:

Sorry, just a sarcastic use of another Coastal fan's choice of words regarding ASU's movement up the polls after the Coastal game and the meaninglessless of ASU's rout of Citadel.
Just to help you out, though, it refers in part to your mentioning IF Coastal had beaten App and the validity of your season.

Glad I could help you out. :cool:

CCU2003
October 28th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Did you expect anything different from them? A conversation based on factual information with some of them is nearly impossible. two who . If you tell why team A is somewhat better than Coastal, they say you're saying your team is the world's best. Some think their win over JMU should automatically guarantee them a spot in the play-offs, no matter what a more challenging road others have to face week-in week-out.
A couple of the fans, though understand the SOS factor and it's not just W-L record that matters.
Reminds me of my high school days. We were 7-3 facing a 10-0 team from a weak conference (in fact composed of a few teams from a lower classification) in the play-offs. Due to their record, they got the home field. Needless to say, we annihilated them by 4 TD's. They still think it was their coach's fault they lost. :cool:

:bang:

Wow, you guys are freaking crazy!!

Look at my thread from this past sunday:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4575

Stop overanalyzing all Chanticleer fans, some feel just as passionate about the Chants as you do for your beloved Mountaineers (some on both ends are actual fanatics and go a little nuts)…..to each his own and you guys are the **** until we meet again!

Jaques
October 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Jaques---

I haven't read anything from a Coastal fan that says "you suck" for expressing your opinion. I have offered an objective opinion why Coastal should be in playoffs... Ihave also provided real "discussion" about the this whole arguement...
I have defended our schedule that at one time had people on this site saying that we did have a tougher schedule this year and winning some of those first 5 games would be impressive. But now our schedule is considered weak and cupcake because teams that were supposed be good aren't so we get penalized for wins that ARE huge for our program and it's stupid to complain about our conference opponents, WE HAVE TO PLAY THEM, we didn't schedule them.

And of course you can offer an opinion and most of the opinions on Coastal is that "we suck", not only our football team but our institution. If it's not "hate" that people spew towards Coastal from this site, it's something mighty close.

I happen to agree with most of the reasons you have for Coastal not making the playoffs. We need to play better football and we can. These last two games did not help us, but I think with the remaining games we can help the cause. But it's very obvious that whatever the scenario is-make it to the playoffs? You don't derserve it, but you'll be a patsy for whomever you play! -don't make the playoffs? You suck and your the worst in I-AA.

JALMOND
October 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Wow, you guys are freaking crazy!!

Look at my thread from this past sunday:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4575

Stop overanalyzing all Chanticleer fans, some feel just as passionate about the Chants as you do for your beloved Mountaineers (some on both ends are actual fanatics and go a little nuts)…..to each his own and you guys are the **** until we meet again!

I don't really care about either the Chants or the Mountaineers. I do think, though that both App St and Coastal should probably put their differences aside and cheer on one another. Coastal's case for inclusion would be dealt a big blow if App State does not make it, and likewise for App St. I, myself, cannot recall a Big South team getting an at-large, let alone winning a playoff game, that says volumes to me about the conference strength. To be included, you need to be on a par with the second or third place teams in the big I-AA conferences (A-10, SoCon, Big Sky, Gateway and Southland) and my own opinion is that those teams would not be just getting by this late in the season against the Big South. I can offer other items as well, but Coastal fans (most of them, anyway) do not seem to dwell in reality. Instead a new one seems to pop up and tell me that I am an idiot for thinking this way. You're right, to each his own, and I feel bad that these people give your team such a negtive connotation.

CoastalFan2005
October 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM
This will be a long post, sorry, :D. Before I get started, please let me state that the opinions contained in this post are simply my opinions. They are not meant to piss any of my fellow CCU fans off, and they are not intended to piss any ASU fans off (as our two schools seem to be the ones most frequently involved). Just some personal observations that I felt like sharing. So, with that disclaimer out of the way...

It's true that the fans of CCU as well as any other college/university with any sort of athletics should not be criticised as harshly. But, here's why they are (and it goes back to one saying that I'm sure every one of us here heard in first grade):

"One bad apple ruins the entire bunch."

Now, I was going to post this over on the Smack board, but deleted it. Here's what I'm trying to say...

No matter what you do, there's always that one person that's going to make a big noise/stink over it. For example: let's say that ASUFanXoNonexistant makes the comment that CCU is "more gay than all the other gays" (BTW, I'll give anyone on here a huge shout-out if they can figure out where that quote is from). Now, obviously, this would make CCU fans a little upset. And because of this one ASU fan, CCU fans now percieve all ASU fans to be this way, as well. This situation could be reversed to switch sides, or could be altered to fit two different schools entirely.

So, with that in mind, let's trudge ahead. I know that there was that one ignorant a$$hole that said that thing that really REALLY pissed you off that one time, but c'mon guys...save that kind of talk for the smack forums. And let's stop making it so personal. It's just football and football discussion...not a reenactment of Gettsyburg or something.

Sorry if I sound like I should be on "Oprah" trying to sell you my book of the month or whatever. I'll throw my soapbox in the nearest fire upon submitting this post, :) .

AppGuy04
October 29th, 2005, 08:27 AM
This will be a long post, sorry, :D. Before I get started, please let me state that the opinions contained in this post are simply my opinions. They are not meant to piss any of my fellow CCU fans off, and they are not intended to piss any ASU fans off (as our two schools seem to be the ones most frequently involved). Just some personal observations that I felt like sharing. So, with that disclaimer out of the way...

It's true that the fans of CCU as well as any other college/university with any sort of athletics should not be criticised as harshly. But, here's why they are (and it goes back to one saying that I'm sure every one of us here heard in first grade):

"One bad apple ruins the entire bunch."

Now, I was going to post this over on the Smack board, but deleted it. Here's what I'm trying to say...

No matter what you do, there's always that one person that's going to make a big noise/stink over it. For example: let's say that ASUFanXoNonexistant makes the comment that CCU is "more gay than all the other gays" (BTW, I'll give anyone on here a huge shout-out if they can figure out where that quote is from). Now, obviously, this would make CCU fans a little upset. And because of this one ASU fan, CCU fans now percieve all ASU fans to be this way, as well. This situation could be reversed to switch sides, or could be altered to fit two different schools entirely.

So, with that in mind, let's trudge ahead. I know that there was that one ignorant a$$hole that said that thing that really REALLY pissed you off that one time, but c'mon guys...save that kind of talk for the smack forums. And let's stop making it so personal. It's just football and football discussion...not a reenactment of Gettsyburg or something.

Sorry if I sound like I should be on "Oprah" trying to sell you my book of the month or whatever. I'll throw my soapbox in the nearest fire upon submitting this post, :) .

GO TO OPRAH, GO TO OPRAH, GO TO OPRAH!!!!

GOTTA LOVE JERRY SPRINGER

as for your post, agreed, this should be over and done with, you guys win out, and i would like to see that, and we win out, and we'll see ya in boone in a month or so

peace

CoastalFan2005
October 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM
GO TO OPRAH, GO TO OPRAH, GO TO OPRAH!!!!

GOTTA LOVE JERRY SPRINGER

as for your post, agreed, this should be over and done with, you guys win out, and i would like to see that, and we win out, and we'll see ya in boone in a month or so

peace

LoL...I love some of the people Springer parades out nowadays...

And yeah, maybe we will see you again this year...that'll be a fun one for the smack board given the history this season, LoL.