PDA

View Full Version : GSU fares a bit better than App State against premier SEC

introvertedGSUfan
August 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM
GSU:21 #1 UGA:45
App:13 #7 LSU:41

The thing is that three true or redshirt freshman accounted for the rushing or receiving touchdowns (Leander Barney received [true freshman], Lee Chappel rushed [redshirt freshman], Samair Baker received [true freshman]). Now UGA put in their other strings, but Hatcher rotated in pretty much every single player himself.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
ha its not a bad thing to be what people compare you to at the FCS level........especially if Georgia Southern fans are the ones doing the comparisons.

introvertedGSUfan
August 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
You guys definitely did well, but I was fully expecting for you to scores more points against LSU than GSU against UGA.

Me and my roommate came up to Athens last night and crashed at a friend's apartment. There were so few ticket scalpers out today (apparently there are always tons more) and GSU only sold 2000 student tickets, so we had to watch it in one of the student theaters near the stadium.

spelunker64
August 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
GSU should have no problem with AP next week as well, and get back on track

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I was pulling for GSU
. i thought they would put on a good showing, and they did.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
GSU's tackling is going to have to improve for us to be competitive in the SoCon. I don't care how good UGA's running game is. Our guys looked like they had engine oil on their hands. Other than that I am quite pleased with the way we played. We had over 300 yards of offense. Should have had 10 more points from the interception inside the UGA 10 (very poor decision by Henton) and a missed field goal on another series.

As for ASU-LSU, it looks like AE had a really off day. 13 completitons on 31 passes and not many yards rushing. Looks like they got creamed by the run just like we did.

introvertedGSUfan
August 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I was pulling for GSU
. i thought they would put on a good showing, and they did.

We looked so pathetic the first half though. I've never seen so many open guys looked over and easy passes dropped. I hope we can really have that final half momentum going into our long home stretch this next month.

introvertedGSUfan
August 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Oh, and one of the most infuriating things was this female field reporter referring to us as 'Southern Georgia' during the half. I mean 'Georgia Southern' was up on the scoreboard the entire game, how hard is it to get a team's name right?

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM
The ESPN crowd has been rather incessent on ridiculing the FCS. Called GSU "a cupcake."

DuckDuckGriz
August 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hey, an asskicking is an asskicking. It looks like GSU got the majority of their points late in the 4th against the scrubs.

Nothing to be ashamed of though, LSU & Georgia is some of the stiffest competition anyone in all of college football could ask for.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Hey, an asskicking is an asskicking. It looks like GSU got the majority of their points late in the 4th against the scrubs.

Nothing to be ashamed of though, LSU & Georgia is some of the stiffest competition anyone in all of college football could ask for.

UGA dropped down a spot in the polls in 2004 for only beating us by 20. I'm willing to bet you that they wanted to win by more than they did. Also, considering the spread is something like 42 points for the game, it was not that bad.

DuckDuckGriz
August 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
UGA dropped down a spot in the polls in 2004 for only beating us by 20. I'm willing to bet you that they wanted to win by more than they did.

No offense but I think if they really wanted to make a statement they coulda hung 60 on ya. Then again, they will have a tough time in the SEC so the points they gave up at the end might have bothered them a bit.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
No offense but I think if they really wanted to make a statement they coulda hung 60 on ya. Then again, they will have a tough time in the SEC so the points they gave up at the end might have bothered them a bit.

Maybe. Stafford was in the game until the fourth quarter, though.

APPdopted
August 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
what kind of backups were in for the dawgs? because Les Miles was still playing Ricky Jean-Francois during the last minute of the game! He seemed to have some first stringers playing the 4th.

Green26
August 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
This thread title appears not to be accurate.

GSU was down 38-0 until finally scoring a TD with about 4 to go in the 3rd Q.

Even ASU was never down that much. I suppose GSU's claim to fame may be that it was down only 17-0 late in the first half, when Georgia scored a TD to make it 24-0, which was the halftime score.

Touchdown Yosef
August 30th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Good for the Eagles to cut the deficit, I wish they both would have been less.

CamelCityAppFan
August 30th, 2008, 04:54 PM
This is sort of a pointless thread.

GSU is now 0-1. ASU is now 0-1. This is what we expect when our teams schedule these revenue games.

The real season starts next week.

APPdopted
August 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Agreed!

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 05:05 PM
GSU fares a bit better than App State against premier SEC = true

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
This is sort of a pointless thread.

GSU is now 0-1. ASU is now 0-1. This is what we expect when our teams schedule these revenue games.

Don't know if it's a pointless thread. I and a few others have said that GSU will be better than a lot of people (including many of our fans) think. Many people were predicting 40 and 50-something point win for Georgia, and it didn't happen. I'm not saying GSU should be a top-10, but I can't see us finishing 6th in the SoCon as many people think we will.

MarkCCU
August 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Big South got an ass kicking on Thursday and today but Miami and Penn State.

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM
... I can't see us finishing 6th in the SoCon as many people think we will.Southern Conference 2008 Preview
By Myron Hosea, CSN So South Columnist
Predicted Order of Finish
1. Appalachian State
2. Elon
3.(Tie) The Citadel
Furman
Georgia Southern
Wofford

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/media/blogs/CSN/Southern%20Conference%202008%20Preview.pdf

soweagle
August 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Take it from a GSU fan, UGA could have scored a 100 on us today but chose otherwise. I have no idea what happened in the LSU game but I would bet that Mark Richt subbed a lot sooner than Les Miles. Of course my opinion is based on my belief that Les Miles is a scum bag and not from watching the game.

GSUISBACK
August 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Take it from a GSU fan, UGA could have scored a 100 on us today but chose otherwise. I have no idea what happened in the LSU game but I would bet that Mark Richt subbed a lot sooner than Les Miles. Of course my opinion is based on my belief that Les Miles is a scum bag and not from watching the game.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Stafford played till late in 3rd and was still throwing bombs did you watch the game?

mistersykes
August 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I was rooting for the Eagles to win, but at least you put some points on the board. Neither team should feel too badly about their performance today!

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Don't know if it's a pointless thread. I and a few others have said that GSU will be better than a lot of people (including many of our fans) think. Many people were predicting 40 and 50-something point win for Georgia, and it didn't happen. I'm not saying GSU should be a top-10, but I can't see us finishing 6th in the SoCon as many people think we will.

SoCon will be a wash. All the teams but three are very good. The team that finishes 6th might be a 7-5 football team. Lot of big conference games to be played.

CamelCityAppFan
August 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM
SoCon will be a wash. All the teams but three are very good. The team that finishes 6th might be a 7-5 football team. Lot of big conference games to be played.

In the SoCon, every conference game is a big game...

soweagle
August 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Stafford played till late in 3rd and was still throwing bombs did you watch the game?

Yes I did. Let's not exaggerate Stafford playing in the third. What you fail to mention is how much Cox played in the first half. Also, they took out Moreno and did not replace him with the 2nd string running back but rather the 3rd string. The 2nd string did play later on. What we saw was a very vanilla version of what UGA's offense will look like this year.

However, I am proud of my eagles. We had too large a number of true freshman that played today and they did great. I'm excited about the running game that I thought would not be there and no fumbles (that I recall) by those true freshman. I am also impressed with the fact that we only had 3 penalties. The new O line performed way beyond what I was expecting and our receivers found ways of getting open against the best defensive backfield they will face all season. I new last year Hatcher was a good coach but this game really impressed me with his ability to lead such a young team with so many true freshman and not make stupid mistakes. They might come back home next week and have 150 yds. in penalties and 5 fumbles but today they looked better than I expected.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Yes I did. Let's not exaggerate Stafford playing in the third. What you fail to mention is how much Cox played in the first half. Also, they took out Moreno and did not replace him with the 2nd string running back but rather the 3rd string. The 2nd string did play later on. What we saw was a very vanilla version of what UGA's offense will look like this year.

However, I am proud of my eagles. We had too large a number of true freshman that played today and they did great. I'm excited about the running game that I thought would not be there and no fumbles (that I recall) by those true freshman. I am also impressed with the fact that we only had 3 penalties. The new O line performed way beyond what I was expecting and our receivers found ways of getting open against the best defensive backfield they will face all season. I new last year Hatcher was a good coach but this game really impressed me with his ability to lead such a young team with so many true freshman and not make stupid mistakes. They might come back home next week and have 150 yds. in penalties and 5 fumbles but today they looked better than I expected.

King (the second string QB) had 12 carries compared to the other backup's 8. Stafford also had 21 pass attempts to Cox's 8. It's not like they were playing their linebackers in the QB position and the D linemen in the RB position.

soweagle
August 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
King (the second string QB) had 12 carries compared to the other backup's 8. Stafford also had 21 pass attempts to Cox's 8. It's not like they were playing their linebackers in the QB position and the D linemen in the RB position.

Nice exaggeration regarding the linebacker and d lineman comment.

I give up, if you think you saw UGA's full offense for four quarters then so be it. I disagree but I am a lot more excited about my eagles than I was this morning. Regardless if we agree on what their offense was doing, I think we can both agree that we played pretty well against the best overall athletic team we will face all season.

Baldy
August 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM
This thread title appears not to be accurate.

GSU was down 38-0 until finally scoring a TD with about 4 to go in the 3rd Q.

Even ASU was never down that much. I suppose GSU's claim to fame may be that it was down only 17-0 late in the first half, when Georgia scored a TD to make it 24-0, which was the halftime score.

Guess you didn't take into consideration that GSU missed a chipshot FG and failed to score with First and Goal at the 1. That 17-0 late first half deficit was within a whisker of being only a 17-10 deficit.

The game was much closer than I would have ever dreamed but it could have been much much closer very easily.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Nice exaggeration regarding the linebacker and d lineman comment.

I give up, if you think you saw UGA's full offense for four quarters then so be it. I disagree but I am a lot more excited about my eagles than I was this morning. Regardless if we agree on what their offense was doing, I think we can both agree that we played pretty well against the best overall athletic team we will face all season.

Of course that's hyperbole ... and I didn't say that we saw the full offense for four quarters or even three. It's also clearly not true that there were third stringers playing for the entire second half or even fourth quarter when you look at the number of passes by the QBs and runs by the RBs.

BEAR
August 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Oh, and one of the most infuriating things was this female field reporter referring to us as 'Southern Georgia' during the half. I mean 'Georgia Southern' was up on the scoreboard the entire game, how hard is it to get a team's name right?

Especially since Georgia Southern isn't exactly a rarely called name in the football world. xmadx Well, don't feel bad..at least you're not called Arkansas State by some media outlets...imagine the shame...:pumpuke:

seantaylor
August 31st, 2008, 03:20 AM
Soweagle, what the hell are u talking about?
their backup QB didn't play until late 3rd Q. That game was closer than the score. not to mention we had 8 guys suspended on 1 arrest.

blueballs
August 31st, 2008, 06:19 AM
Comparing whose loss was better is worthless...

... the truth is that both teams got their asses kicked and are 0-1. App, however, won in the cash game, pocketing over $400k for their whuppin' to GSU's $250k. Nice negotiating thar' Sammy...

CID1990
August 31st, 2008, 06:24 AM
Of course that's hyperbole ... and I didn't say that we saw the full offense for four quarters or even three. It's also clearly not true that there were third stringers playing for the entire second half or even fourth quarter when you look at the number of passes by the QBs and runs by the RBs.

That's a mighty big word for Statesboro. xsmiley_wix

CharlestonAppFan
August 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM
Comparing whose loss was better is worthless...

... the truth is that both teams got their asses kicked and are 0-1. App, however, won in the cash game, pocketing over $400k for their whuppin' to GSU's $250k. Nice negotiating thar' Sammy...

actually we pocketed $750k xthumbsupx LSU added $250k to the pot for moving it up a year

AppStFan76
August 31st, 2008, 09:29 AM
actually we pocketed $750k xthumbsupx LSU added $250k to the pot for moving it up a year

My understanding was that it was, all total with the money to move it last year too, $950,000.

$200,000 to move it last year
$250,000 to move it back to this year
$500,000 to play it!

But I could be mistaken

eaglewraith
August 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
I've heard 750k in the media. Originally 550k and 200k was added to it.

ericsaid
August 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM
GSU's tackling is going to have to improve for us to be competitive in the SoCon. I don't care how good UGA's running game is. Our guys looked like they had engine oil on their hands. Other than that I am quite pleased with the way we played. We had over 300 yards of offense. Should have had 10 more points from the interception inside the UGA 10 (very poor decision by Henton) and a missed field goal on another series.

As for ASU-LSU, it looks like AE had a really off day. 13 completitons on 31 passes and not many yards rushing. Looks like they got creamed by the run just like we did.

8 dropped passes in a game does that. Take those away 22-31 200+ passing yards. The dropped passes were all very very catchable. xnonono2x

blueballs
August 31st, 2008, 12:46 PM

... which only makes the ineptitude demonstrated by GSU's AD even worse.

UGA paid WCU something in the $400 range to come to Athens last year.

I haven't yet heard a satisfactory explanation of why ASU and WCU are worth more than GHSU by GSU's AD, and I'm not holding my breath waiting either.

Wow...

BeauFoster
August 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM
... which only makes the ineptitude demonstrated by GSU's AD even worse.

UGA paid WCU something in the $400 range to come to Athens last year.

I haven't yet heard a satisfactory explanation of why ASU and WCU are worth more than GHSU by GSU's AD, and I'm not holding my breath waiting either.

Wow...

I'm not totally positive, but I think that in-state teams usually pay less for these games. I don't know why, but it seems that way. Either way, good showing by the Eagles, can't wait for a little payback in Gnatsboro later this season! xthumbsupx

soweagle
August 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Soweagle, what the hell are u talking about?
their backup QB didn't play until late 3rd Q. That game was closer than the score. not to mention we had 8 guys suspended on 1 arrest.

Maybe I'm wrong but I could have sworn that Cox was in the game before halftime and then they put Stafford back in at some point. Either way I'm over that game and ready to move on to next week.

straightshooter
August 31st, 2008, 01:55 PM
Cox was in for a series in the first half. Richt has done that with his backup QB since he's been there. My question is "why was Stafford still in the game midways through the fourth quarter? There were still a lot of UGA secondary starters in the game in the 4th quarter as well.

Baldy
August 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm not totally positive, but I think that in-state teams usually pay less for these games. I don't know why, but it seems that way. Either way, good showing by the Eagles, can't wait for a little payback in Gnatsboro later this season! xthumbsupx

I don't buy that either. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Y-town got $650K from Ohio State.

Sam is running out of excuses. xnonono2x

McNeese75
August 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't buy that either. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Y-town got $650K from Ohio State.

Sam is running out of excuses. xnonono2x

I thought YSU was getting 7 figures

straightshooter
August 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Tressel gave YSU a million bucks of his own money, so I'm sure he made sure that they got a good payday for playing the Buckeyes.

SoCon48
August 31st, 2008, 10:43 PM
GSU fares a bit better than App State against premier SEC = true

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.xcoffeex

parr90
August 31st, 2008, 11:13 PM

You got to remember as well that their scrubs are all 4 and 5 star recruits that are supposed to be the best players in the country. The only difference in their 1st and 2nd string as far as talent goes is playing time. We also scored a touchdown when it was 17-0 that they didnt give us which would have made it 17-7. The score really should have been 45-31 as we missed a chip shot field goal that one ref said was good and the other said it wasnt.

Retro
August 31st, 2008, 11:27 PM
I didn't see the GSU/UGA game, but i did watch the LSU/APP game and i can tell you that APP played bad in the 1st half , but rebounded somewhat in the 2nd half.. Enough to make the game respectable.. That being said, this LSU team is not anywhere near last year's, but i would compare them to last year's Michigan team minus the bad start to the season. LSU seemed to simply out scheme App on a few plays and execute them perfectly.

Now, LSU did sub more in the second half, but app's problem was they rely too much on Edwards for nearly every play.. No running game whatsoever and of course dropped passes... Everyone knew App wasn't going to sneak up on LSU, but from what i saw this App team has a lot of work to match last year's form and LSU while still a very good team seemed to just want to get the game over with in the second half.. The mood of the game was very sleepy, for lack of a better word.

This LSU team will win 8-9 games, but Bama and Auburn will likely win the SEC west, but app gettnf behind by so much early allowed LSU to just coast in the second half.

AppMan
September 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM
My understanding was that it was, all total with the money to move it last year too, $950,000.

$200,000 to move it last year
$250,000 to move it back to this year
$500,000 to play it!

But I could be mistaken

$500,000 original game guarantee. $50,000 last year to move it to '09. $200,000 to move it back up to this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM
You got to remember as well that their scrubs are all 4 and 5 star recruits that are supposed to be the best players in the country. The only difference in their 1st and 2nd string as far as talent goes is playing time. We also scored a touchdown when it was 17-0 that they didnt give us which would have made it 17-7. The score really should have been 45-31 as we missed a chip shot field goal that one ref said was good and the other said it wasnt.

True. UGA was very deep on defense and the second string probably wasn't much worse. our first TD was scored on the first string defense, anyways. I wouldn't be surprised at our offense averaging 35 ppg this year.

JDC325
September 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM

INCORRECT SEE YSU VS OSU 650K

As far as the game goes, we had a TD that was incorrectly called one yard shy that ended up in a turn over and there AJC reports the missed field goal was actually made so 10-24 should have been th first half score, not to bad considering. Having said that we were definitely out manned no doubt vs the first string, but I am not overly dissapointed given the age of this team and that this is really the first year Hatch is implementing his offense with only one real year of recruiting. It will be a different game come four years if they schedule us again. I personally could care less about playing them with such a low pay day our AD seems to pimps us out for. We need a new AD (my choice) or find a higher paying opponent. I was happy with the play once UGA did start taking out some of their starters because we seem to to do very well and uga's backups who are going to be a lot better than most FCS competion we face. That is not a knock on the FCS but more to how loaded uga is this year. I bet they will still choke once or twice so atleast that will lessen the pain later on.