PDA

View Full Version : Campbell lost 12-6

gophoenix
August 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I think it is worth noting, that Campbell was formally introduced this weekend as the first rookie I-AA team to play. And 12-6 against a D-III school wasn't terrible, they lead most of the game.

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I think it is worth noting, that Campbell was formally introduced this weekend as the first rookie I-AA team to play. And 12-6 against a D-III school wasn't terrible, they lead most of the game.What is "I-AA" these days? That's right, it is a waaaaaaaaaaaaay old acronym for the FCS.

gophoenix
August 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
What is "I-AA" these days? That's right, it is a waaaaaaaaaaaaay old acronym for the FCS.

-sigh-

FCS and FBS are garbage. At least it is something 99% of I-A fans understand. When you say FCS, you just get blank stares. The change is stupid and I am no longer going to take part in it.

mvemjsunpx
August 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I think it is worth noting, that Campbell was formally introduced this weekend as the first rookie I-AA team to play. And 12-6 against a D-III school wasn't terrible, they lead most of the game.

It looks a little worse, though, when you consider that DIII Birmingham Southern is only in their second season of football.

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
-sigh-
FCS and FBS are garbage. At least it is something 99% of I-A fans understand. When you say FCS, you just get blank stares. The change is stupid and I am no longer going to take part in it.So you can go ahead and join your "I-A" fans in being completely "stupid." At least you admit to being a "I-A" "stupid" fan.

brownbear
August 30th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Good job Campbell, at least they didn't get killed in the first game (granted, it was against a DIII team that just started last year), and building a winning football program takes time.

How past D-I football programs debuted:

Southeastern Louisiana def. Arkansas-Monticello - 2003
Coastal Carolina def. Newberry - 2003
Florida International def. St. Peter's - 2002
Florida Atlantic lost to Slippery Rock - 2001
Jacksonville def. Davidson - 1998
La Salle lost to Fairfield - 1997
South Florida def. Kentucky Wesleyan - 1997
Fairfield lost to Central Connecticut State - 1996

CarolinaGirl
August 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM
So you can go ahead and join your "I-A" fans in being completely "stupid." At least you admit to being a "I-A" "stupid" fan.

Thank you for the insult Ralph. Im sure all of the other fans who feel that way thank you as well. As I can see how your opinion is so well valued on this board, I'm sure everyone who feels the transition is stupid won't bother replying to your comment. I am also one of those "stupid fans" who doesn't like the name. It is what it is but it just doesn't work in conversation or anywhere else. I tried today while I was at a sports bar and all those "stupid" people just looked at me as if they had no idea what I was talking about. People in general really don't like it and don't really use it. Try to refrain from ripping on everyone who has a problem converting to "FCS", especially in a thread that really has nothing to do with the topic.
Now, since the thread is actually about Campbell's first game..I'm very excited for them and hope they have a good first season. A friend of mine coaches there and I wish him and the entire team the best of luck this season! xthumbsupx

mistersykes
August 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
At least they're playing the games. Go camels!

gophoenix
August 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM
So you can go ahead and join your "I-A" fans in being completely "stupid." At least you admit to being a "I-A" "stupid" fan.

I am not one of those stupid fans. But I-AA clarifies that we ARE D-I. Where when you say FCS, most people give you the "huh" look. So, I'm sorry, I'm with the media on this one. I-AA is what everyone knows and I'm sticking to it.

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I view FCS as the nomenclature version of the metric system. It's not going to get the adoption rate that the experts assume.

I've reverted to I-AA and "Division I" in general.

MoreheadEagle
August 30th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Good to see the Camels holding their own. I'm happy to welcome them to the PFL.

Sly Fox
August 30th, 2008, 10:50 PM
It is cool seeing both Campbell and Birmingham Southern playing football. Its too bad BSC had to drop from the Big South to afford a non-scholie football program.

Mountaineer
August 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Here's a photo gallery of Campbell's field house and stadium. Looks great!

http://www.gocamels.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15300&PALBID=19088

5,845 showed up today in a stadium with a capacity of 3,500. Off to a good start. xnodx