PDA

View Full Version : FBS/FCS slow start

URMite
August 30th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I know some of the closer games are yet to come but ...Is it just me or are the FBS teams doing better early in the game this year? It seemed that the last couple of years the FCS teams were still in the game in the middle of the 3rd qtr, but not so far today...

Again I'm not talking about winning, I'm talking about keeping the score competitive as long as possible.xconfusedx :(

phoenixphanatic21
August 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM
No I completely agree. It does seem like none of the games are as close as they were last year. Maybe they realized we can actually beat them and are taking us seriously for once.

Random question, you going to the game in 3 hours and 42 minutes?

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Games that matter:

Ranked FCS teams vs. FBS:
L No. 1 Appalachian St. @ LSU
No. 2 James Madison @ Duke
No. 5 Northern Iowa @ BYU
No. 8 McNeese St. @ North Carolina
L No. 9 Eastern Washington @ Texas Tech
No. 11 Delaware @ Maryland
No. 13 Cal Poly @ San Diego St.
L No. 14 Youngstown St. @ Ohio State
L No. 16 Georgia Southern @ Georgia
L No. 17 Villanova @ West Virginia
L No. 18 South Dakota St. @ Iowa State
L No. 19 Eastern Illinois @ Central Mich.
L No. 22 Eastern Kentucky @ Cincinnati

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Probably a combination of things

1-Yeah, I think the FBS squads are a bit more prepared mentally to actually compete against their FCS opponents rather than just try and "out-talent" them

2-I don't think we've had too many particularly good matchups. Let's face it, most wins come against MAC, Sun Belt squads, not the BCS boys, and certainly not the good ones. Our best (App) just got a trip to their best (LSU), instead of a more beatable FBS team

3-Some of our better matchups are still to come. UD-Maryland, Cal Poly-San Diego State, McNeese-UNC, JMU-Duke, UNH-Army are all in the near future

4-Really, FCS teams get blown out lots of times. We tend to focus more on the wins (and who wouldn't?), but generally FBS sides are able to take advantage of their advantages (scholarships, home field) and make statements early in the season

URMite
August 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
No I completely agree. It does seem like none of the games are as close as they were last year. Maybe they realized we can actually beat them and are taking us seriously for once.

Random question, you going to the game in 3 hours and 42 minutes?

Unfortunately I am stuck here in Richmond xbawlingx, but don't tell the punter's father, he has been one of our biggest fans and is pushing hard for a good crowd today (it seems he started last march).

To be honest I don't travel well. I rarely get to away games even though I have been trying a lot harder the last 4 years. But I have only missed 1 home game in the last 28 seasons if that helps!

URMite
August 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Probably a combination of things

1-Yeah, I think the FBS squads are a bit more prepared mentally to actually compete against their FCS opponents rather than just try and "out-talent" them

2-I don't think we've had too many particularly good matchups. Let's face it, most wins come against MAC, Sun Belt squads, not the BCS boys, and certainly not the good ones. Our best (App) just got a trip to their best (LSU), instead of a more beatable FBS team

3-Some of our better matchups are still to come. UD-Maryland, Cal Poly-San Diego State, McNeese-UNC, JMU-Duke, UNH-Army are all in the near future

4-Really, FCS teams get blown out lots of times. We tend to focus more on the wins (and who wouldn't?), but generally FBS sides are able to take advantage of their advantages (scholarships, home field) and make statements early in the season

It just seemed the last 2 maybe 3 years most top 40 FCS teams would hang around (7-14 down) for more than half the game even against good but unranked BCS. Yes they might get blown out but most of the blowouts seemed to come late when the extra schollys started showing.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Games that matter:

L No. 9 Eastern Washington @ Texas Tech

EWU Texas Tech hasn't started yet.

phoenixphanatic21
August 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately I am stuck here in Richmond xbawlingx, but don't tell the punter's father, he has been one of our biggest fans and is pushing hard for a good crowd today (it seems he started last march).

To be honest I don't travel well. I rarely get to away games even though I have been trying a lot harder the last 4 years. But I have only missed 1 home game in the last 28 seasons if that helps!

Ouch. Sorry about that. And I promise I won't tell him. And that does help. Home games are the important ones. As long as you go to those, you should be ok. It's a shame you're gonna miss this one though. It'll be a great victory for Elon ;)

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
EWU Texas Tech hasn't started yet.
Oops! :o

Games that matter:

No. 9 Eastern Washington @ Texas Tech

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
ILS ties it against Marshall

ILS 7
Marshall 7
1Q

oops wrong thread

skinny_uncle
August 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
ILS ties it against Marshall

ILS 7