PDA

View Full Version : App Thread.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
is this what every non-app fan was looking forward to?

a realist, such as myself, didnt expect much else. could have been a little more respectable, but what can ya say.

it doesnt change the goal. it doesnt change the fact, or opinion at this point, that we can play with and beat any team in our division.

i anticipate a great number of posts in the next few days about how Appalachian has been "brought back to reality" and is "no comparison"....but the fun thing is that the ultimate goal is still very alive. I feel confident that we will be competitive in FCS, and a national championship is within reach.

after all, i dont doubt one bit that the majority of people who said appalachian should move up, are outside the appalachian community anyway....xcoffeex

gophoenix
August 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
So, you're preemptively making a post to smack people for what they might say based on the respectable showing against LSU?

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
yep, i know its coming.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
yea, i am, i know its coming.

and so do you.

AppStFan76
August 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Looked to me like the coaches said to the players, "Go play...but by all means dont get hurt...we have more important games to play"

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Come on guys, no one is going to blast you for this game.

However, please don't think that LSU could not have hung 50+ on you if they had wanted to.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Come on guys, no one is going to blast you for this game.

However, please don't think that LSU could not have hung 50+ on you if they had wanted to.

they could have.

AppStFan76
August 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I think if App came to play, without any thought of the rest of the season, the game would have been closer.

Not saying we would have won, but it would have been closer.

X-Factor
August 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I absolutely didn't want to see ASU get blown out like that. The game wasn't all that competitive but ASU is still going to be a major power this year no doubt about it.

One thing I WON'T miss is the 700+ ASU/LSU threads that we have seen. It will be nice to finally see them die.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I absolutely didn't want to see ASU get blown out like that. The game wasn't all that competitive but ASU is still going to be a major power this year no doubt about it.

One thing I WON'T miss is the 700+ ASU/LSU threads that we have seen. It will be nice to finally see them die.

ha im gonna get one going, just in spite............

just kidding.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM
its good for this website actually......what was the forum founded on.......FCS vs. FBS contests? na.

lets get back to winning national championships, its everybody's goal right?

PaladinFan
App played a much better program with better football players. It happens.

If two SoCon losses last year didn't bring the fan base down to earth, then I don't know what is going to.

appst97
maybe so, maybe not, but LSU did have jean-francois in at the end. So its not like APP scored against their 3rd stringers...I do see a 4th straight FCS championship. Sorry Catbob

SoCon48
August 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
So, you're preemptively making a post to smack people for what they might say based on the respectable showing against LSU?
it's already been done on other threads. Just one little example.

Views: 2,239 Posted By blackfordpu
Re: ASU-LSU Needs to be Cancelled

Looks like Appy should have wished it to be canceled, sheesh. ;)

alexale23
August 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM
yea, i am, i know its coming.

and so do you.

Its been here just join the smack forum

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2008, 02:13 PM
it's already been done on other threads. Just one little example.

Views: 2,239 Posted By blackfordpu
Re: ASU-LSU Needs to be Cancelled

Looks like Appy should have wished it to be canceled, sheesh. ;)

Man, chill out a little and think rationally. LSU is the defending FBS champion and could have scored more on you if they had so desired. Not smack or a put down, just the simple truth. Good showing by App State but LSU held back on the reigns.

The game was not as close as the final score shows.

mlbowl
August 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I actually thought ASU played a pretty good game, with the exception of all the drops....I just wish the announcers couldve removed the big 'ol LSU pecker from their mouth

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I actually thought ASU played a pretty good game, with the exception of all the drops....I just wish the announcers couldve removed the big 'ol LSU pecker from their mouth

ditto, but its their job.

SoCon48
August 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Man, chill out a little and think rationally. LSU is the defending FBS champion and could have scored more on you if they had so desired. Not smack or a put down, just the simple truth. Good showing by App State but LSU held back on the reigns.

The game was not as close as the final score shows.

Guess it just boils down to what you call facts, I call smack. No, we don't wish the game had been cancelled and I doubt any Apps traveling to the game wish they had their money back.

But yes, LSU likely could have scored more. But, too, we gave them at least a couple TD's off mistakes. They earned the rest on talent. Too, a few less dropped passes would have resulted in a more interesting output.

phoenixphanatic21
August 30th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I honestly would've rather seen a close game, to help get some more respect for the FCS. A blowout was honestly the last thing I wanted. Regardless, I still see App having a good year and I can't wait for November 15.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I honestly would've rather seen a close game, to help get some more respect for the FCS. A blowout was honestly the last thing I wanted. Regardless, I still see App having a good year and I can't wait for November 15.

ha can you ask any more of App?

AppStFan76
August 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM

who said it would die we can analize this gam euntill December!!xlolx xlolx

AppStFan76
August 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Glad to see Delaware Maryland got our time slot!

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM

are we your martyrs?

gophoenix
August 30th, 2008, 03:03 PM
are we your martyrs?

No more so than any other I-AA team taking it to I-A teams, IMO.

phoenixphanatic21
August 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
are we your martyrs?

When did I ever say that? I just meant a lot of people look at App as the class of the FCS and judge the rest of us based on how they do...or at least thats what I got from my experience at the USC-NC State game. You guys did as much as you could, which is all we can ask of you...besides maybe to not drop as many balls.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM
When did I ever say that? I just meant a lot of people look at App as the class of the FCS and judge the rest of us based on how they do...or at least thats what I got from my experience at the USC-NC State game. You guys did as much as you could, which is all we can ask of you...besides maybe to not drop as many balls.

the dropped ballsxnonono2x i dont understand that either my friend

and im not so sure we did the best we could do, but what do i know really?

IndianaAppMan
August 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Those receivers were clearly overwhelmed, mentally. Many of them had never faced talent like that b/c they didn't play in the Michigan game. Even if they did, LSU's speed and abilities were far better than Michigan's.

I wasn't expecting a win, only hoping for one. Still, I was expecting more of a fight than that. If they don't straighten out, this could turn into an 8-4 or 7-5 season in a hurry. JMU, Elon, Ga. Southern, Wofford, Furman, & El Cid could all beat ASU if we play with nerves that rattled again.

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Those receivers were clearly overwhelmed, mentally. Many of them had never faced talent like that b/c they didn't play in the Michigan game. Even if they did, LSU's speed and abilities were far better than Michigan's.

I wasn't expecting a win, only hoping for one. Still, I was expecting more of a fight than that. If they don't straighten out, this could turn into an 8-4 or 7-5 season in a hurry. JMU, Elon, Ga. Southern, Wofford, Furman, & El Cid could all beat ASU if we play with nerves that rattled again.

how much different is this game than Kansas in 2005?

DSUHornet
August 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
what was the final count?

CharlestonAppFan
August 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM

I was waiting for this from the fanbase.....jess guys, don't need any bandwagon fans saying these kind of things xsmhx yes we played LSU and it could have been worse, but...it wasn't. No injuries, but work needs to be done and I'm sure that it has been noted.

I have a feeling the bandwagon fans are going to be negative this week xnonono2x It's one game and the team was LSU...get over it. App has a good team and so does a lot of FCS teams. The REAL test comes when the conference starts. xnodx at least for our division

uofmman1122
August 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I was waiting for this from the fanbase.....jess guys, don't need any bandwagon fans saying these kind of things xsmhx yes we played LSU and it could have been worse, but...it wasn't. No injuries, but work needs to be done and I'm sure that it has been noted.

I have a feeling the bandwagon fans are going to be negative this week xnonono2x It's one game and the team was LSU...get over it. App has a good team and so does a lot of FCS teams. The REAL test comes when the conference starts. xnodx at least for our divisionBandwagon fans? Did I hear someone say bandwagon fans?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46384

Be happy you don't have to deal with this. xlolx

BarefootApp
August 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM
did DeAndre Pressley separate his shoulder near the end of the game?

CharlestonAppFan
August 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Bandwagon fans? Did I hear someone say bandwagon fans?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46384

Be happy you don't have to deal with this. xlolx

xoutofrepx

xlolx wow I feel like a Griz fan now xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix xlolx

uofmman1122
August 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
xlolx wow I feel like a Griz fan now xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix xlolxBreathe it in~!

It's great, isn't it!? xlolx xthumbsupx

trusty
August 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I think if App came to play, without any thought of the rest of the season, the game would have been closer.

Not saying we would have won, but it would have been closer.

Yeah that's the reasonxsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
August 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM
did DeAndre Pressley separate his shoulder near the end of the game?

That's is sure what it looked like to me. But, it also looked like he wanted to play so bad, he tried to go the next down anyway. I hope he'll be OK.

mistersykes
August 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I don't think that there's anything to hang our heads about. Sure its a bit disappointing that we didn't put up more points, but we did put up over 200 yards against a pretty tough d. One thing that does concern me is the lack of dropped passes. Other than Pressly's injury (which I don't know the extent of), I think we came out fine. A win would have been nice, but now its back to reality. LSU was the better team, no ifs about it. Now its time for the real season. xthumbsupx

IndianaAppMan
August 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I have a feeling the bandwagon fans are going to be negative this week xnonono2x It's one game and the team was LSU...get over it. App has a good team and so does a lot of FCS teams. The REAL test comes when the conference starts. xnodx at least for our division

xmadx

I am not a bandwagon fan. I realize that LSU is far stronger than our team and it's understandable that we were rattled. however, ASU cannot let hard-hitting keep them from making good catches and doing idiotic things like committing late hits after we stop teams on third down (see the first quarter) if we were in a close game, that would really cost us.

give me a freaking break. i'm not turning my back on ASU. i wore my ASU wear all day long out in public. i'm not giving up on the team. i'm just stating the obvious that we had better improve or we will be outclassed by legitimately strong teams in our own league.

CharlestonAppFan
August 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
xmadx

I am not a bandwagon fan. I realize that LSU is far stronger than our team and it's understandable that we were rattled. however, ASU cannot let hard-hitting keep them from making good catches and doing idiotic things like committing late hits after we stop teams on third down (see the first quarter) if we were in a close game, that would really cost us.

give me a freaking break. i'm not turning my back on ASU. i wore my ASU wear all day long out in public. i'm not giving up on the team. i'm just stating the obvious that we had better improve or we will be outclassed by legitimately strong teams in our own league.

Sorry bout that but it sounded like it from your earlier post xnodx . How can you critique our performance against LSU? Yes, we had dropped passes and yes we had D issues, but their D and O lines are one of the best in the country regardless of division. I heard the same things about our game against NC State and we went on to go undefeated after that game that year. It's just hard to say how much we need to improve after playing some one like LSU........so in other words.......relax man xnodx .

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry bout that but it sounded like it from your earlier post xnodx . How can you critique our performance against LSU? Yes, we had dropped passes and yes we had D issues, but their D and O lines are one of the best in the country regardless of division. I heard the same things about our game against NC State and we went on to go undefeated after that game that year. It's just hard to say how much we need to improve after playing some one like LSU........so in other words.......relax man xnodx .

Thats what this lovely place is for in a way........VENTING!xpeacex xthumbsupx

APPStrongNC
August 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
just another saturday. man I wish asu could have one anx beat the crap out of LSU, but LSU put the smack dowm on ASU. but non conference and we got a game to plan for on saturday....

all in all I though it was a good game. now let bring on jacksonville..............

AppMan
September 1st, 2008, 02:51 AM
LSU is a great (and I don't toss that word around like most people) football team. They are so much better than Michigan it isn't funny, The difference in team speed between those two is amazing. However, the difference in the game was in the O & D lines. On the LSU post game show their radio people said there wasn't much of a difference in the skill positions, but in their larger, athletic linemen. They also said Armanti would start for 5-6 SEC teams. You can forget what the guys on ESPN implied, our kids were not nervous and they were not scared. Yea, our kids dropped some balls that should have been caught, but it wasn't from the fear of being hit. That's just the big time ego coming out of Spillman. I thought it was almost comical hearing him continually harp on how much more physical it is when you step up to play "the big boys" of college football. Bull. Michigan hit us hard too, but we got hit just as hard by some FCS teams. The bottom line is we made a lot of mental mistakes, mostly by a young and inexperienced secondary. The last TD was the result of a good play call against a very tired defense. If our guys don't make 6-7 crucial mental mistakes the game is a lot closer. Do we win, no. But it would have not been a 4 TD win by the Tigers. To all of those looking to put the nails in ASU's coffin, don't get too ahead of yourself because of this game. The Mountaineers will be just fine.

CamelCityAppFan
September 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM
To all of those looking to put the nails in ASU's coffin, don't get too ahead of yourself because of this game. The Mountaineers will be just fine.

Amen, brother! xthumbsupx

This past week was the "what are we made of" game. This week is the confidence builder. Then 2 weeks to prepare for the JMU game.

I think we're going to be just fine...

IndianaAppMan
September 1st, 2008, 09:06 AM

We're cool, man. I do think the coaches will look at the film of dropped passes and particularly that late-hit penalty in the first quarter that kept LSU's drive alive (after we had stopped them on 3rd down), and our guys will be running laps or something. The coaches will find places where we need to improve. If we didn't, then many of the teams we face could get the best of us.

Someone else pointed out that on opening weekend 2000, Oregon State scraped by E. Washington 21-19 . OSU finished the season 11-1 (#3 AP; #5 coaches) and trounced Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl; EWU missed the playoffs. Flip side: we get hammered by mediocre Kansas team (by Big 12 standards) and ended up going all the way in FCS. My point: I agree with you that it's hard to judge an FCS team based on how they do against an FBS foe.

I guess after the Michigan game, my level of expectations were raised significantly, and I don't intend to change that. Anybody who watches the game film will see that it wasn't a fluke; rather, we came in prepared and totally exploited the weaknesses that every Big Ten team failed to do in '06 (besides Ohio State); specifically, their pass defense in the open field was bad. I wished for the same against LSU in terms of attacking their weaknesses, but, well, they don't really have noticeable weaknesses, at least not any that our personnel could exploit because their line was so stout. Thankfully, we won't face O- or D-lines like that in FCS play.

ASUG8
September 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM
getting a check for a butt whipping will turn a frown upside down. I'm certain that $750K pays for a chunk of those 4400 seats we added this year.

Overall, I was optimistic but not completely stupid. LSU is a much more prepared team than Michigan was, and I do have some concerns about our team this season based on exactly one game of experience. However, I don't thing Jerry and the boys will allow some of the missteps that occurred Sat. to continue. It was a good tuneup for both teams Saturday and we know what we have to do to move forward successfully.

I was proud of GSU and McNeese this weekend, as they both put some points on the board against some high profile programs. Especially GSU with the suspensions you had. It's going to be a fun season.xthumbsupx

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
It's going to be a fun season. xthumbsupx

I took the picture you're using as your avatar. xthumbsupx Uploaded it to Wikipedia. :D

ASUG8
September 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
I took the picture you're using as your avatar. xthumbsupx Uploaded it to Wikipedia. :D

Please don't sue me - give me a name and address and I'll send you a royalty check!:D

Clearly a great picture nonetheless. Got it off Google images.xthumbsupx

Mountaineer
September 1st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Please don't sue me - give me a name and check and I'll send you a royalty check!:D

Clearly a great picture nonetheless.xthumbsupx

No royalties needed. xlolx It's under a Creative Commons license, I think. You're free to do with it as you choose. xthumbsupx

I just wanted to brag a bit. :p

KiddBrewer
September 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
First and Ten just referred to us as a "cupcake"........all is back to normal in the world!

IndianaAppMan
September 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
First and Ten just referred to us as a "cupcake"........all is back to normal in the world!

consider the source...

first and ten had kordell stewart as an "expert" on college football about a month ago... i mean, you think about quality sports reporting, the first thing you think of is that show! xrolleyesx xeyebrowx xlolx

JDC325
September 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
is this what every non-app fan was looking forward to?

a realist, such as myself, didnt expect much else. could have been a little more respectable, but what can ya say.

it doesnt change the goal. it doesnt change the fact, or opinion at this point, that we can play with and beat any team in our division.

i anticipate a great number of posts in the next few days about how Appalachian has been "brought back to reality" and is "no comparison"....but the fun thing is that the ultimate goal is still very alive. I feel confident that we will be competitive in FCS, and a national championship is within reach.

after all, i dont doubt one bit that the majority of people who said appalachian should move up, are outside the appalachian community anyway....xcoffeex

LSU unlike Mich was not going to be snuck up on they were out to make a point and make 1000% sure it was not going to be close not to mention LSU is a much better team than Michigan was. That win last year killed just about any FCS teams chances in sneaking up on any FBS team (thanks alot BTW ). Also, LSU is has been the best if not the one of the best FBS teams in lately with TWO "NC's" so using this game a factor in deciding whether or not to move up is dumb. That is like saying you are not going to attempt to get a pilots license because you will not know how to fly and F-16 the first week of lessons. There are very few FBS teams and many BCS that are going to fair much better than you guys did. Even if the Michigan win was a fluke I still think last years App team could have easily handled any non BCS team and the lower tier BCS teams. The "reality" is you still have won three REAL NCAA NC's playing in the toughest conference in the FCS, you still need 7-8 more DIV I wins to make it to the playoffs and the sun will rise tomorrow. xthumbsupx