PDA

View Full Version : Bad start for FCS teams

ChickenMan
August 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM
A very bad night for the FCS teams that were facing FBS competition..

Miami 52 Charleston Southern 7

C. Michigan 31 E. Illinois 12

Cinncinnati 40 EKU 7

E. Michigan 52 Indiana St 0

Georgia Tech 41 Jacksonville St 14

Ball St 48 Northeastern 7

UConn 35 Hofstra 3

Iowa St 44 South Dakota St 17

all losses and none of them competitive... xsmhx

I sure hope things improve Saturday... xprayx

Bearvision
August 29th, 2008, 08:30 AM
FWIW, CSU kicked the extra point...

appstate38
August 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I think the entire FBS is focused on not letting the FCS nation sneak up on them.

Grizzaholic
August 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM
It is only going to get worse on Saturday.

appfan2008
August 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM
saturday there are a lot of ranked fbs teams playing fcs so it may get worse before it gets better...

appfan2008
August 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM
saturday there are a lot of ranked fbs teams playing fcs so it may get worse before it gets better...

jstate83
August 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I watched these 3 game last night.

That was ugly.
R.P. could not even breath last night because they were chasing him everywhere.
If Georgia Tech had not called off the dog's early, this could have been really, really bad.
Nobody expected J-Ville to beat TECH, but if they don't do something about that O-Line and find some receiver's that can catch, it's going to be a long season for J-Ville.xsmhx

UConn 35 Hofstra 3
Hofstra could not stop UCONN's running back.
That dude has some sweet moves and balance that could not be believed.
That guy would get hit, stumble, and somehow get himself back right and add an extra 10 yard's on the end of the run.
They were blowing holes into the Hofstra D-line for dude to basically walk through.
That guy had 3 TD's quick.

I honestly believe if South Dakota had not thrown that INT early in the 1st when they were on the 15 yard line, they would have put some fear into Iowa St and really had a chance to pull this one off.
It looked like when that happened, the wheel's didn't come off, but that seemed to let the air out of South Dakota and pumped Iowa up.

S. Dakota should have a good season when the rust comes off.xnodx

Larryl9797
August 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I was hoping Hofstra was going to have a better showing against the Evil Empire here in Connecticut... UCONN....xthumbsdownx

KAUMASS
August 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I look at these games as a measuring stick for the playoffs. FCS teams that fare well against FBS teams usually mean they have a strong team and will contend for the playoffs. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the teams that played last night will be in play-off contention in November.

I watched the Hofstra-UConn game last night, and Hofstra was without thier starting QB. The back up played decent. Savage may or may not have made a difference. Hofstra was getting blown off the ball, especially on defense.

Black and Gold Express
August 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I look at these games as a measuring stick for the playoffs. FCS teams that fare well against FBS teams usually mean they have a strong team and will contend for the playoffs. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the teams that played last night will be in play-off contention in November.

Don't agree with that in regards to Jax. State. Unless the OVC has improved a lot, Perilloux is the type of QB could carry them to the playoffs on his own. One and done from there, per usual, but still...

jstate83
August 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Don't agree with that in regards to Jax. State. Unless the OVC has improved a lot, Perilloux is the type of QB could carry them to the playoffs on his own. One and done from there, per usual, but still...

Not from what I saw last night. xsmhx

BisonBacker
August 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM

I watched the Hofstra-UConn game last night, and Hofstra was without thier starting QB. The back up played decent. Savage may or may not have made a difference. Hofstra was getting blown off the ball, especially on defense.

I agree with this comment. It didn't appear any of these games was ever in doubt.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM

That was ugly.
If Georgia Tech had not called off the dog's early, this could have been really, really bad.
Nobody expected J-Ville to beat TECH, but if they don't do something about that O-Line and find some receiver's that can catch, it's going to be a long season for J-Ville.xsmhx

I thought Jax State had the best shot of all of them to pull off the upset, and I really believed they would - but that Gamecock "O" line wasn't getting it done versus GT's starting bunch. To be fair, GT is a pretty darned good team! I was let down by Jax St., but I was also impressed by GT, too. I think they're going to be a good team.

I thought Perrilloux showed flashes of what he could do, though - I wouldn't be surprised if Jax State shows a lot of improvement during the year (of course, if Perrilloux stays healthy).

I think it's unfair to judge Jax State based on one game against a good GT squad. I don't think GT is going to end up as a 1-10 squad - matter of fact, I think they might be playing after New Year's.

As for the others, were they all that surprising? Chuck South had no shot against Miami, I didn't hold out much hope for Hofstra over UConn, and unless you beleived that EIU of EKU had a shot (they are good teams, but I didn't dream they would win) it's not that shocking a day.

Catmendue2
August 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM

That is exactly why I wonder why RP went there in the first place. He is all they got and unless they can get better fast RP won't ever see the inside of an NFL locker room. I think he made a bad mistake, just MHO. LSU is gonna be better for RP leaving, Hatch and Lee both appear to be better leaders. Ryan seemed very average last night and I can't see what he can do to change that.
xsmhx

jstate83
August 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I thought Jax State had the best shot of all of them to pull off the upset, and I really believed they would - but that Gamecock "O" line wasn't getting it done versus GT's starting bunch. To be fair, GT is a pretty darned good team! I was let down by Jax St., but I was also impressed by GT, too. I think they're going to be a good team.

I thought Perrilloux showed flashes of what he could do, though - I wouldn't be surprised if Jax State shows a lot of improvement during the year (of course, if Perrilloux stays healthy).

I think it's unfair to judge Jax State based on one game against a good GT squad. I don't think GT is going to end up as a 1-10 squad - matter of fact, I think they might be playing after New Year's.

As for the others, were they all that surprising? Chuck South had no shot against Miami, I didn't hold out much hope for Hofstra over UConn, and unless you beleived that EIU of EKU had a shot (they are good teams, but I didn't dream they would win) it's not that shocking a day.

R.P did show flashes but he just don't have the tool's around him anymore.
His stat's in the 1st half were decent, but I could not believe all the dropped passes from the receivers.

If team's can lock down J-Ville receiver's, R.P. is going to have to turn into Micheal Vick cause he will have to do it on his own.
I'm not judging them whole heartedly on a game against G. Tech, but with the O-Line stumbling and bumbling, they won't have a running game.

Team's that have a good pass ruch is going to cause turmoil in the J-Ville backfield this year.

Umass74
August 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I watched the entire Hofstra-UConn game. They made some crucial penalties that cost them several opportunities. It could have been 35-17.

However, Hofstra's team speed looked dismal against UConn. One of the Pride's DBs made an interception and was caught from behind.

And that RB from UConn Don Brown (good name) walked all over their defense. The Pride's front seven was not competitive against UConn's running game.

At the end of the game they showed several close-ups of Dave Cohen and he looked like his stomach hurt. I don't like seeing any FCS team lose badly to a FBS team and losing to UConn was worse. xnonono2x

Jacks76
August 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Those aren't upper level Division IAA teams...still, the scores are embarrassing...FCS teams need to do a better job of showing what they can do against FBS competition.

Paul

smallcollegefbfan
August 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
A very bad night for the FCS teams that were facing FBS competition..

Miami 52 Charleston Southern 7

C. Michigan 31 E. Illinois 12
Cinncinnati 40 EKU 7
E. Michigan 52 Indiana St 0
Ball St 48 Northeastern 7
UConn 35 Hofstra 3

all losses and none of them competitive... xsmhx

I sure hope things improve Saturday... xprayx

The EKU game surprised me. The others were about what I figured.

I said before on here that RP would struggle at Jax State and it wouldn't be close. Nobody really thought that one player would make the difference in a sport where 22 players are on the field.

It is disappointing that things didn't go better but these weren't the games most of us expected upsets.

PantherRob82
August 29th, 2008, 10:09 AM
We need good showings out of App St, UNI, EWU, and the rest of the top 10 FCS teams.

Cobblestone
August 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I was hoping Hofstra was going to have a better showing against the Evil Empire here in Connecticut... UCONN....xthumbsdownx

So was I.

elcid96
August 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM

He can't carry them anywhere without an O-line. LSU had the best O-line in football last year and that is what allowed him to make plays. I agree with the prediction that they don't make it to the playoffs. One player doesn't make a team. Regardless, best of luck to them.xthumbsupx

grizband
August 29th, 2008, 10:47 AM
We need good showings out of App St, UNI, EWU, and the rest of the top 10 FCS teams.
Rest assured, Montana will give a top effort against the perennial title contender "Bye" this weekend. xsmiley_wix

LacesOut
August 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
None of these I-A teams want to be last seasons Michigan.

eaglesrthe1
August 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
He can't carry them anywhere without an O-line. LSU had the best O-line in football last year and that is what allowed him to make plays. I agree with the prediction that they don't make it to the playoffs. One player doesn't make a team. Regardless, best of luck to them.xthumbsupx

JMO. I wouldn't grade JSU's O line based on what was seen last night. The D line for tech is their strength and JSU probably won't see another this year that will approach the same level of talent.

You will see a different offense altogether if he isn't running for his life from the get go. I'm not saying that JSU will be in the playoffs, just that their fans need to wait at least one more week before throwing in the towel on this O line.

GaSouthern
August 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Also, GT has one of the best D lines in the ACC.

IaaScribe
August 29th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Going into the weekend, the only FCS teams I thought had legit shots at winning against FBS teams this weekend were Cal Poly and New Hampshire.

JDC325
August 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Bad start but not shocking. I expected a few of teams to do a little better but to surprising.

jsualum97
August 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Most realistic JSU fans knew that was going to be a tough game. Don't for once think that we all thought that we had that game in the bag. Although we did have a horrible first half last night, I feel somewhat optimistic because we were without 8 starters for last nights game. Depth is always an issue for FCS teams going against and FBS team, but it is even more without 8 starters. We got beat by the considerable better team last night, (I still think our OL coach is trying to figure out how to block those monsters) we feel good about the season, and looking forward to running the OVC.

Uncle Buck
August 29th, 2008, 11:50 AM
So was I.

Let me tell you, having our starting center and starting QB out of the game did not help. Offense was terrible, QB looked lost at times. Even so, one TD was gift, this game should have been no worse than 28-14 even with the defense letting up yards. I left without being that impressed by UConn, but more depressed with our poor showing. Not that it's a win with Savage, but his poise probably converts into some points.

I also think Cohen and co. didn't play this to win, especially with the number 2 guy under the number 2 center. Just ugly. xnonono2x

YoUDeeMan
August 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM

That was ugly.

UConn 35 Hofstra 3
Hofstra could not stop UCONN's running back.
That dude has some sweet moves and balance that could not be believed.
That guy would get hit, stumble, and somehow get himself back right and add an extra 10 yard's on the end of the run.
They were blowing holes into the Hofstra D-line for dude to basically walk through.
That guy had 3 TD's quick.

I honestly believe if South Dakota had not thrown that INT early in the 1st when they were on the 15 yard line, they would have put some fear into Iowa St and really had a chance to pull this one off.
It looked like when that happened, the wheel's didn't come off, but that seemed to let the air out of South Dakota and pumped Iowa up.

S. Dakota should have a good season when the rust comes off.xnodx

All of that...without the typical typos and slang. xeekx

Who are you and what have you done with our beloved '83... :D

appfan2008
August 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I didnt think any of yesterdays games were wins but there were some possible ones... I think I would have just been happy with being close in a couple of them

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I think the one that was the most disappointing was the SDSU/ISU game. Not that folks were expecting a win, but folks thought it might be a close game. There's another team where the opposing "D" line was in the QB's face all day.

OL FU
August 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Also, GT has one of the best D lines in the ACC.

I think most of us that lived through the Johnson years understand just how good of a coach he is. Ga Tech's future is bright and people should not judge JSU too harshly from this game.

But at the same time it does reinforce that this is not a one man sport. xthumbsupx

greenG
August 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I was at the Indiana State at Eastern Michigan game last night. ISU is probably the most hapless team I have seen at the D-I level. They have no meaningful pass defense, inadequate run defense (giving 400 yds), and an ineffective offense. Perhaps they will fair better against EIU if their starting QB returns from suspension. Evenso, it's going to be another very long season for Sycamore fans.

jstate83
August 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
All of that...without the typical typos and slang. xeekx

Who are you and what have you done with our beloved '83... :D

xlolx
I'm a Computer Tech but I BE playin' Jstate83 on chatboards. xlmaox

Grizzaholic
August 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Rest assured, Montana will give a top effort against the perennial title contender "Bye" this weekend. xsmiley_wix

I also got the Griz winning big over Bye. Bye doesn't have any returning players, the whole coaching staff is new, and I believe they had to practice on the concrete street during rush hour because their stadium was repo'd over the summer due to not paying the bills.

I know what some of you are thinking right now, Montana gets another home game! I realize that Montana getting another home game is just the norm these days but if you think about it where else would we play the game? Bye no longer has a stadium and I really don't think Montana would be too keen on playing the game in the street.

eaglesrthe1
August 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I also got the Griz winning big over Bye. Bye doesn't have any returning players, the whole coaching staff is new, and I believe they had to practice on the concrete street during rush hour because their stadium was repo'd over the summer due to not paying the bills.

I know what some of you are thinking right now, Montana gets another home game! I realize that Montana getting another home game is just the norm these days but if you think about it where else would we play the game? Bye no longer has a stadium and I really don't think Montana would be too keen on playing the game in the street.

Well, I heard that Montana had a home and home against Idle, but backed out to get the home game against Bye. For shame.xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well, I heard that Montana had a home and home against Idle, but backed out to get the home game against Bye. For shame.xcoolx

An oldie but a goodie:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13954&highlight=Idle

Moral of the story: Never underestimate Idle.

Cocky
August 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I thought our O Line played decent. I doubt there is a O line in FCS that can block GT's D line. The starting four are very good. GT didn't give us the option turnovers it takes for a lesser division to win in these games. Plus we gave up two TOs inside their 20 and one close to our 20. JSU will be competitive in the FCS as long as RP doesn't get hurt.

Maroons
August 30th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'm a little surprised everyone is so shocked by the EKU/UC result. The spread was 33.5 points. UC is talking a second consecutive Top 25 finish. Their stadium was rocking and it felt like a big-time college football atmosphere. They have come so far in 2 years that EKU couldn't run with their receivers or get to their QB.

And on the Colonel side, new coach and many new players. Many of the Colonel faithful were happy with the effort and execution and some felt it was the best EKU has played in any of the three previous FBS openers (UK, Cincy, NC State), even if the score doesn't show it.

I dunno... I certainly wasn't that surprised by any of the OVC results last night.