PDA

View Full Version : Butch Davis on McNeese being fast

JohnStOnge
August 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I know everybody thinks the team they pull for has good team speed. But I've noticed over the past couple of years that one of the first things opposing coaches say about McNeese is that the Cowboys are fast. It's like when Jerry Glanville commented, "They're extremely fast. That's just the way it is."

Now some comments by Butch Davis. First, from his press Monday press conference (video at http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/inthehuddle/index-index.html?&url=http://mfile.akamai.com/8108/wmv/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/unc/08-09/video/m-footbl/08aug/082508_unc_m-footbl_PC.wmv ). Here are some quotes from the beginning of his discussion of McNeese (starts at about 3:40 in):

"McNeese is a very explosive, fast football team."

"Typically their program is marked by having very, very fast skilled players. They've got fast wide receivers, defensive backs, or linebackers. Guys actually run really well in that program."

Next something on McNeese wideouts Quinten Lawrence and Steven Whitehead in today's Raliegh News Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/story/1197159.html ):

"UNC coach Butch Davis has been impressed by both, calling the duo 'electrifyingly fast."'

Also, a comment in that article from UNC safety Deunta Williams:

"They're going to bring more speed to the table; they're going to try to stretch the field a little bit, and once they stretch it enough, they're going to trying to cut it back and hit the crease."

Anyway, I just find it interesting and encouraging that the thing that appears to stand out to UNC is that McNeese is fast.

Course I think they were faster as a team than Eastern Washington last year and it sure didn't do them a lot of good in the opening round playoff game.

Retro
August 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Of course it didn't, the field was soak and wet from all day rain. Remember? The wet hampered Mcneese, but helped EWU's style of west coast offense and our Defensive coach didn't know how to adjust.

JohnStOnge
August 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Of course it didn't, the field was soak and wet from all day rain. Remember? The wet hampered Mcneese, but helped EWU's style of west coast offense and our Defensive coach didn't know how to adjust.

I now people will think I'm crazy but one of the most disppointing parts about seeing McNeese lay that egg is that I think they would've matched up pretty well with Appalachian State in terms of both athletes and styles. Plus they'd have had some key players back if they could've stayed alive for one week. I really wanted to see Appalachian State go to Lake Charles.

You know, I even heard a "McNeese is fast" comment out of Eastern Washington after the game. One of Eastern Washington's receivers said that they knew McNeese was very fast on defense so their approach was to try to confuse the Cowboys. Apparently it worked pretty well. There appeared to be blown coverages over and over again.

AppStFan76
August 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I now people will think I'm crazy but one of the most disppointing parts about seeing McNeese lay that egg is that I think they would've matched up pretty well with Appalachian State in terms of both athletes and styles. Plus they'd have had some key players back if they could've stayed alive for one week. I really wanted to see Appalachian State go to Lake Charles.

You know, I even heard a "McNeese is fast" comment out of Eastern Washington after the game. One of Eastern Washington's receivers said that they knew McNeese was very fast on defense so their approach was to try to confuse the Cowboys. Apparently it worked pretty well. There appeared to be blown coverages over and over again.

Sorry but we have decided to only play play-off games at home from now on!xsmiley_wix xlolx

AppAlum2003
August 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM

So how does this pertain to your countless posts about how App St was not anywhere close to the fastest team that Michigan saw last year? Just wondering... xcoffeex

JohnStOnge
August 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
So how does this pertain to your countless posts about how App St was not anywhere close to the fastest team that Michigan saw last year? Just wondering... xcoffeex

I don't think I was referring to last year. I think I was referring to it probably not being the fastest team in terms of overall team speed Michigan had played previously (like in 2006) and that App didn't represent a level of team speed they hadn't seen before. At the time I pointed out that, during the prior season, Michigan played Ohio State when Ohio State had Tedd Ginn Jr. and Anthony Gonzales at the wideout positions. Ohio State's also a program that had had more players drafted by the NFL than any other college program over the previous five drafts and I don't think that happens if you don't have players that are plenty fast for their positions.

Michigan also played USC in 2007. Yes, I do believe 2006-2007 USC had more overall team speed than 2007 App State or any other FCS did.

Now I can update by saying that last year Michigan played Florida. I would be willing to bet that Florida had more overall team speed than anybody in FCS did.

If someone says Edwards was the fastest quarterback Michigan played against I'd be inclined to believe it. I'd sure think it possible Dexter Jackson was the fastest wideout they played against (though Florida's Andre Caldwell did get the same 40 time, 4.37, in the combine as Jackson did). But I don't think App was the fastest team overall that they played.

McNeese, I think, is a fast FCS team and has some fast individual players. But I don't think they're as fast overall as teams like Florida and Southern Cal.

McNeese75
August 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Sorry but we have decided to only play play-off games at home from now on!xsmiley_wix xlolx

Mplsbison, where ya been buddy??????:D

appst97
August 28th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Mplsbison, where ya been buddy??????:D

please tell me he's not flying our flag this yearxlolx xlolx xlolx

Skjellyfetti
August 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Michigan also played USC in 2007.

No, they didn't.

msupokes1
August 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
No, they didn't.

Yeah, they technically did. They played the Rose Bowl in January of 2007.