PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Plaza?

Grizaholic17
August 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I posted a pic on Egriz of the New Expansion at Washington/Griz, and took the picture because of the new letters showing up on the new expansion.

I, as well as many egrizer's believe it is a little over the top. But I guess when you donate A million bucks, you get this.

And here is a link to a "tour" of the new expansion. Click the video to the left of the Video that says Tour of WGS.

http://www.grizcentral.com/

Grizzaholic
August 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Personally I think that is the about the dumbest name they could put on it. I mean come on, Majestic Plaza????

appfan2008
August 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
what does majestic plaza mean?

IABison
August 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've heard the fans at Wa-Griz were close to the field, but is there even room for a football team on that sideline??? xeekx xeekx

appfan2008
August 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I've heard the fans at Wa-Griz were close to the field, but is there even room for a football team on that sideline??? xeekx xeekx

a bit insane aint it...

danefan
August 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM

I believe that's the home side too. I think the away side is a bit tighter.

Just enough room for 1 man deep and a few benches and thats it.

The crowd is in the sideline meetings with you. Seriously.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I don't have any problem with them having their name on it. This is the exact same type of thing that happened when the stadium was named back in 1986. There was a big uproar that it was going to be called Washington-Grizzly Stadium. There was even an article in the paper or maybe it was a letter to the editor that was mocking the name and it said we're just lucky that the donors last name wasn't Bobcat. People that donate get recognition for their philanthropy through the thing carrying their name sometimes...big fn deal. It happens all of the time with libraries, business school building, dormitories, you name it. It doesn't seem to cause an uproar with anything else at universities but when it is associated with football it's a problem. We should be thanking these people for their generosity and not acting like having that little bit of lettering below the expansion is something to get worked up about. Ridiculing people that are giving big amounts of money for the betterment of our facilities seems like a bunch of spoiled little *****s looking a gift horse in the mouth. It will become a venerable part of the stadium just as every other section has in the stadium and the name will be ballyhooed in the future instead of put down just as the name Washington-Grizzly has.

furman94
August 28th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Majestic Plaza? WTF? Cornball Square?

Appaholic
August 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
The Majestic Plaza........sounds like a strip mall containing hair salon (w/ nail technicians and waxing available), a taqueria, laundromat, liquor store and adult bookstore (w/ Capn's car parked outside) and random whinos pushing grocery carts......

furman94
August 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
ROFL!

Grizzaholic
August 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I think it was named after Sheehan Majestic, a local distribitor of goods.

I did not mean to come off as rude or unappreciative, I understand when somebody buys something for the stadium their name goes on it. I don't think there would be any problem from anybody if it was called Majestic 'something else'. Plaza sounds like what Appaholic said, a strip mall.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I think it was named after Sheehan Majestic, a local distribitor of goods.

I did not mean to come off as rude or unappreciative, I understand when somebody buys something for the stadium their name goes on it. I don't think there would be any problem from anybody if it was called Majestic 'something else'. Plaza sounds like what Appaholic said, a strip mall.

It says in the video that it was purchased through funds coming from ticket sales...

Grizzaholic
August 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I didn't watch the video. I was just taking a shot in the dark.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM
It says in the video that it was purchased through funds coming from ticket sales...

And the 1 million dollar donation from Sheehan Majestic, I'm sure the ticket sales are going to be used to service the rest of the debt over the next few years.

cats2506
August 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM

Dont forget that they tacked on additional student fees to help out too

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
The Majestic Plaza........sounds like a strip mall containing hair salon (w/ nail technicians and waxing available), a taqueria, laundromat, liquor store and adult bookstore (w/ Capn's car parked outside) and random whinos pushing grocery carts......

Kidd Brewer is all I have to say about that. As I told you earlier I am having some trouble coming up with a grocery cart for your trip to Missoula but I am still working on it so hang in there li'l buddy.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Dont forget that they tacked on additional student fees to help out too

Yeah you kinda want the students to be involved and let them vote for it. It is the reason the expansion was smaller than a lot of people wanted.

GOKATS
August 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah you kinda want the students to be involved and let them vote for it. It is the reason the expansion was smaller than a lot of people wanted.

Wasn't part of the deal that they increased the student area by a few hundred? Seems like I read that.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 28th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Wasn't part of the deal that they increased the student area by a few hundred? Seems like I read that.

I think you are correct on that one GK.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM
what does majestic plaza mean?

I am just spit balling here but I believe it may refer to a plaza that is majestic.......either that or "whale's vagina". Wait, that is San Diego.

APPALACHIANstate
August 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM
It doesn't matter what the name is, the play is on the field.

TwinTownBisonFan
August 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Every time i read it in the thread, i keep thinking

"that gawd awful Julia Roberts movie from the 80's?"

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MG/194403~Mystic-Pizza-Posters.jpg

uofmman1122
August 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Wasn't part of the deal that they increased the student area by a few hundred? Seems like I read that.They moved people from the South Endzone who had season tickets, and put them in the expansion. Students will now be in the South endzone one both sides of the band, if I'm not mistaken.

Grizaholic17
August 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
They moved people from the South Endzone who had season tickets, and put them in the expansion. Students will now be in the South endzone one both sides of the band, if I'm not mistaken.

really? that seems logical...But the Student section might only reach to the band. Usually they only take up the corner of the south endzone. And the whole south endzone is virtually single game tickets. the only ones in the stadium.

They were working on the grizvision again...and I saw no new work on the letters in the endzone yet. I'll post pics later if something has changed.

AZGrizFan
August 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I am just spit balling here but I believe it may refer to a plaza that is majestic.......either that or "whale's vagina". Wait, that is San Diego.

You're right, alpha....scholars maintain the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.... xeyebrowx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
really? that seems logical...But the Student section might only reach to the band. Usually they only take up the corner of the south endzone. And the whole south endzone is virtually single game tickets. the only ones in the stadium.

They were working on the grizvision again...and I saw no new work on the letters in the endzone yet. I'll post pics later if something has changed.

maybe a portion of it is but I've had season tickets there for 5 yrs. now and I'm pretty sure the section in the middle under the scoreboard is as well because I always see a lot of the same people in their usual seats every game.