PDA

View Full Version : Payton and Buchanan Watch Lists Released

smallcollegefbfan
August 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Congrats to everyone who made the list! xthumbsupx

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/PaytonandBuchanan.pdf

Walter Payton Award Watch List
Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly, 6-5, 230, Senior
Nathan Brown, QB, Central Arkansas, 6-2, 209, Senior
Liam Coen, QB, Massachusetts, 6-2, 220, Senior
Herb Donaldson, RB, Western Illinois, 5-11, 225, Senior
Armanti Edwards, QB, Appalachian State, 6-0, 185, Junior
Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon, 6-3, 235, Junior
Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty, 6-1, 230, Senior
Rodney Landers, QB, James Madison, 6-1, 220, Senior
Corey Lewis, RB, Northern Iowa, 6-0, 197, Senior
Mike McLeod, RB, Yale, 5-11, 200, Senior
Matt Nicholls, QB, Eastern Washington, 6-2, 220, Junior
Dominic Randolph, QB, Holy Cross, 6-3, 223, Senior
Andre Roberts, WR, The Citadel, 5-11, 175
Tyler Roehl, RB, North Dakota State, 5-10, 232, Senior
Jordan Scott, RB, Colgate, 5-11, 205, Senior
Javarris Williams, RB, Tennessee State, 5-11, 215, Senior

Buck Buchanan Award Watch List
Bobby Abare, LB, Yale, 6-2, 210, Senior
Colt Anderson, SS, Montana, 5-11, 185, Senior
Pierre Banks, LB, Appalachian State, 6-0, 210, Senior
Jovan Belcher, DE, Maine, 6-2, 228, Senior
Mario Brown, LB, Gardner-Webb, 6-2, 230, Senior
Bobby Daly, LB, Montana State, 6-1, 226, Senior
Zach East, LB, Prairie View, 6-2, 230, Senior
John Faletoese, DT, UC Davis, 6-3, 290, Senior
Cyrus Mulitalo, LB, Sacramento State, 6-1, 245, Senior
Greg Peach, DE, Eastern Washington, 6-2, 250, Senior
Andy Romans, LB, Lafayette, 5-11, 215, Senior
Andy Schantz, LB, Portland State, 6-1, 235, Senior
Pierre Walters, DE, Eastern Illinois, 6-5, 261, Senior
Lardarius Webb, FS, Nicholls State, 5-11, 180, Senior
Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois, 6-3, 235, Junior
Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State, 6-2, 200, Junior

smallcollegefbfan
August 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Snubs?

Some of these guys aren't preseason candidates but were hurt for much of last season and have the potential to be added to the list. Did I miss anyone?

PAYTON
QB Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
QB Bryant Lee, Southern
QB Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly
QB Chris Pizzotti, Harvard
RB Jay Lucas, Southeastern Louisiana
RB Byron Lawrence, NW State
WR Steven Whitehead, McNeese State
WR Jeremy Gilchrist, Hampton

BUCHANAN
DE Matt Marcorelle, Delaware
DE Lawrence Sidbury, Richmond
ILB Lee Robinson, Alcorn State
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
CB Domonique Johnson, Jackson State
CB K.J. Gerard, Northern Arizona

Tribe4SF
August 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
As Lang Campbell proved, you don't have to be on the preseason watch to win the Payton. When they shuffle the deck in a few weeks, some of these guys will be gone, and some new names will appear. W&M's Jake Phillips is one with potential to jump into the race. Another is Josh Vaughn from Richmond.

danefan
August 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Not necessarily a snub, but David McCarty could find his name on the list if he has some good performances in Albany OOC play.

Averaged about 6.5 yds per carry last year.

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I can't think of one that's won it, but does anyone else find the lack of TE's on Payton lists disappointing? Maybe there's just nobody out there. xconfusedx

BDKJMU
August 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Eugene Holloman, TB, JMU

proasu89
August 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM
D.J. Smith, LB ASU

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
If he stays healthy Tyler Roehl wins the Peyton.

He is too good to be playing in 1AA/FCS

appfan2008
August 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
DJ could be added but they wont put a true sophomore on there before the season also there is pierre on there so they dont want 2 guys from the same team and same position on the list...

about time they came out... its time for football!!!

appfan2008
August 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
If he stays healthy Tyler Roehl wins the Peyton.

He is too good to be playing in 1AA/FCS

over armanti?

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Buck Buchanan Award Watch List
Colt Anderson, SS, Montana, 5-11, 185, Senior
Bobby Daly, LB, Montana State, 6-1, 226, Senior
John Faletoese, DT, UC Davis, 6-3, 290, Senior
Cyrus Mulitalo, LB, Sacramento State, 6-1, 245, Senior
Greg Peach, DE, Eastern Washington, 6-2, 250, Senior
Andy Schantz, LB, Portland State, 6-1, 235, Senior
Pierre Walters, DE, Eastern Illinois, 6-5, 261, Senior
Lardarius Webb, FS, Nicholls State, 5-11, 180, Senior
Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois, 6-3, 235, Junior
xconfusedx What happened to our East Coast bias?? xconfusedx

smallcollegefbfan
August 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I can't think of one that's won it, but does anyone else find the lack of TE's on Payton lists disappointing? Maybe there's just nobody out there. xconfusedx

Really not a TE with Adam Bergen type production to put on the list.

smallcollegefbfan
August 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
xconfusedx What happened to our East Coast bias?? xconfusedx

There is a lot of west coast talent this year. Surprised me at how many are on there as well. Some of those names are probably lesser known to most. Anyone who does not consider Andy Schantz an All-American just has not seen him play. He might not run a 4.5 40 but he can flat out play and is one of those surprise names that I think Mr. C did his homework on and hit the nail on the head here.

My only change to the Buchanan list would be to put Matt Marcorelle on over the Yale LB. Everyone else is about what I figured would make it.

The Payton list is exactly what I was expecting.

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Really not a TE with Adam Bergen type production to put on the list.
I guess it's just disappointing to me. I am a huge fan of getting TE's into the offense. It seems like when you do that it's almost unstoppable. xpeacex

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
There is a lot of west coast talent this year.
I'm sure there is. As much as my comment was tic, I did want to point it out for our non-ECer's who love to go on about it. xsmiley_wix

danefan
August 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I guess it's just disappointing to me. I am a huge fan of getting TE's into the offense. It seems like when you do that it's almost unstoppable. xpeacex

Spread offense = death of the tight end and full back positions.xnodx

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Spread offense = death of the tight end and full back positions.xnodx
FB, yes. TE, dunno. Ben Patrick led UD in receptions and receiving TD's in 2006: 64 receptions, 639 yards and 6 TD's.

KAUMASS
August 28th, 2008, 01:02 PM
You can take out most of the east coast players on that list for the Buchanon....Not much love on the East Coast for the Buchanan award. The only east coast player in the last 10 years was LB Derick Lloyd out of JMU.

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
You can take out most of the east coast players on that list for the Buchanon....Not much love on the East Coast for the Buchanan award. The only east coast player in the last 10 years was LB Derick Lloyd out of JMU.
So you're saying there may actually be proof of a West Coast bias? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

GeauxLions94
August 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Snubs?

Some of these guys aren't preseason candidates but were hurt for much of last season and have the potential to be added to the list. Did I miss anyone?

PAYTON
QB Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
QB Bryant Lee, Southern
QB Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly
QB Chris Pizzotti, Harvard
RB Jay Lucas, Southeastern Louisiana
RB Byron Lawrence, Northwestern State
WR Steven Whitehead, McNeese State
WR Jeremy Gilchrist, Hampton

BUCHANAN
DE Matt Marcorelle, Delaware
DE Lawrence Sidbury, Richmond
ILB Lee Robinson, Alcorn State
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
CB Domonique Johnson, Jackson State
CB K.J. Gerard, Northern Arizona

Two pretty good ones in bold

danefan
August 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM
FB, yes. TE, dunno. Ben Patrick led UD in receptions and receiving TD's in 2006: 64 receptions, 639 yards and 6 TD's.

But how much of that production was due to him being a TE-type player? A lot times TE production in the spread is something that could just as easily been accomplished equally, if not better, by a WR.

FCS Go!
August 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
The Watch Lists are the annual bone that the East Coasters throw out to try to keep us quiet. You guys aren't fooling me though! :p

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM
D.J. Smith, LB ASU

Our DJ is better than your DJ! :p

xsmiley_wix

Funny that we both have LBs that go by those two initials.

mcveyrl
August 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
But how much of that production was due to him being a TE-type player? A lot times TE production in the spread is something that could just as easily been accomplished equally, if not better, by a WR.

If I recall correctly, Patrick was more of a true TE. He was used up the middle quite a bit and was a bruiser. A lot of times I think UD would try to force a LB to cover him, which was not going to work (for the defense) most of the time

DLS
August 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Our DJ is better than your DJ! :p

xsmiley_wix

Funny that we both have LBs that go by those two initials.

not sure if this was suppose to be taken serioiusly but . . .

dj smith 121 tackles true freshman

dj brandon 98 tackles CAREER

oh yea and smith did this with only 9 starts

app dj > jmu dj

proasu89
August 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM
not sure if this was suppose to be taken serioiusly but . . .

dj smith 121 tackles true freshman

dj brandon 98 tackles CAREER

oh yea and smith did this with only 9 starts

app dj > jmu dj

I just hope that our linebackers don't have to make so many stops this yearxthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
August 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/payton/payton08.aspx

smallcollegefbfan
August 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/buchanan_2008/index.htm

citdog
August 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM
great to see Cadet Andre Roberts finally getting some respect! Looks good to see that GRAY UNIFORM as well!

appfan2008
August 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I know I am a homer but I believe that this award is armanti edwards' to lose...

mcveyrl
August 29th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I know I am a homer but I believe that this award is armanti edwards' to lose...

I definitely think he starts in the top slot.

He might be hurt by some high expectations, but if anybody can meet them, he can.

I also think he has to overcome some new teammates to gel with, so he may start out a little slower than expected. If that happens, somebody could pass him and make him work to get back up there.

But if he starts where he left off last year, I agree.

ElonPride
August 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM
great to see Cadet Andre Roberts finally getting some respect! Looks good to see that GRAY UNIFORM as well!

He already had respect! He was a 3rd team All American last season, and is a pre season pick this year! xeyebrowx

citdog
August 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
He already had respect! He was a 3rd team All American last season, and is a pre season pick this year! xeyebrowx

he's better than your guy.....as our lopsided victories over elon show

PTW16
August 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM

He's got respect nationally but not in the Southern Conference. All-America but not All-Conference. Same thing with The Citadel as a whole... Ranked 23rd nationally but picked to finish sixth in the conference.

ElonPride
August 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
he's better than your guy.....as our lopsided victories over elon show

Why are you turning this into smack?

If you really want it laid out for you look at the stats from the past 2 meetings! It's easy to see head to head, who's more productive!

phoenixphanatic21
August 29th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Oh how I have missed citdog and his crazy self xnonono2x

And I do agree that this is Armanti Edwards' award to lose. He would've had a good shot to win it last year had he not been injuried. Hudgins would be my next pick to win it, though that may be a lil bit of a homer pick. But hey, you never know.

BEAR
August 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM

and Brown waits in the shadows..quietly laughing..while 32 NFL scouts run all over Estes Stadium screaming out his name..the UPS guy wants his autograph too....why?...because what can Brown do for you?.....win the Walter Payton....xbowx xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
August 30th, 2008, 12:33 AM
and Brown waits in the shadows..quietly laughing..while 32 NFL scouts run all over Estes Stadium screaming out his name..the UPS guy wants his autograph too....why?...because what can Brown do for you?.....win the Walter Payton....xbowx xlolx

NFL potential has nothing to do with awards in college. NFL teams like players because of potential more than the stats they have put up.

I doubt Brown goes as high as people are saying right now. Past years have proven that half of the top 5-7 FCS prospects at this point fall and his side arm throwing motion and lack of size make me think he ends up in the 6th-7th round or undrafted. Hope I'm wrong but I see some things that have been the cause of others going undrafted or in the 6th to 7th round range. 6'1 1/4, 212, 4.85 40. He lacks the big arm and size of Flacco and the mobility and speed of Josh Johnson.

Don't get me wrong I think he is a great player and hope he goes high but I just don't see 2nd-4th round.

I also think NFL teams have him much lower than websites have him, which is proven on draft day many times.

Lionsrking
August 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Can't understand how Jay Lucas doesn't make the list...there isn't a more complete back in FCS football, and the numbers back him up.

Jay Lucas 173 att, 1239 yds, 7.2 ypc 12 TDs...51 rec. 485 yards, 3 TDs
R. Jennings 191 att, 1113 yds, 5.8 ypc 15 TDs...13 rec. 276 yards, 2 TDs
J. Williams 195 att, 1187 yds, 6.1 ypc 12 TDs...14 rec. 240 yards, 0 TD
M. Mcleod 327 att, 1619 yds, 5.0 ypc 23 TDs...7 rec. 44 yards, 0 TD
T. Roehl 207 att, 1431 yds, 6.9 ypc 21 TDs...20 rec. 180 yards 0 TD