PDA

View Full Version : FBS teams scheduling FCS

Jacks76
August 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Do you think with Appy's big win over Michigan that FBS teams will now think twice about scheduling FCS? Kansas State was notorious in the mid-90s and 00s for scheduling so-called "cream puffs" so that they could hang 70+ on a team for a big home win. This was after so many years of Kansas State just being terrible.

Paul

IndianaAppMan
August 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
It MIGHT make it harder for the consistent playoff teams (App, JMU, NDSU [we all know they'll be in the playoff times at least 75% of the time], etc) to schedule teams within their own states, and perhaps to a few others. ASU couldn't get a date with FSU or Ga. Tech, for instance.

Still, these games against 1AA teams are good financially for both sides. LSU's scheduling of App and 3 teams from lower-level FBS conferences allows them to have 8 home games versus only four road games.

8 home games to 4 aways? Cha-ching! At worst, BCS teams are virtually assuring themselves of 6 home games a year at the absolute minimum when they schedule 1AA teams.

Having said that, I think that the teams that will benefit the most, in terms of the ability to schedule BCS teams, are the bottom-feeder 1AA teams. Chattanooga, which has struggled as long as I can remember in the win column and in financing their athletics, seems to be a big winner in this sense. They play Oklahoma and Florida State and will bring home, I'm sure, well over a million bucks from those games.

That's my xtwocentsx .

IndianaAppMan
August 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Plus, it's getting harder for BCS teams to host mid-major FBS teams without some kind of return trip. For example, some of the MAC teams have a 2-for-1 deal with Big Ten teams. (Purdue hosts Toledo twice; Toledo hosts Purdue once.)

Against FCS teams, nothing has to be returned. Clemson has hosted Furman dozens of times since the Tigers last played on a Furman field.

Jacks76
August 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
It MIGHT make it harder for the consistent playoff teams (App, JMU, NDSU [we all know they'll be in the playoff times at least 75% of the time], etc) to schedule teams within their own states, and perhaps to a few others. ASU couldn't get a date with FSU or Ga. Tech, for instance.

Still, these games against 1AA teams are good financially for both sides. LSU's scheduling of App and 3 teams from lower-level FBS conferences allows them to have 8 home games versus only four road games.

8 home games to 4 aways? Cha-ching! At worst, BCS teams are virtually assuring themselves of 6 home games a year at the absolute minimum when they schedule 1AA teams.

Having said that, I think that the teams that will benefit the most, in terms of the ability to schedule BCS teams, are the bottom-feeder 1AA teams. Chattanooga, which has struggled as long as I can remember in the win column and in financing their athletics, seems to be a big winner in this sense. They play Oklahoma and Florida State and will bring home, I'm sure, well over a million bucks from those games.

That's my xtwocentsx .

6 home games a year used to be the norm...now teams are getting 7 and 8 games a year...just another example of adding a 12th game and what it can do to the confidence of a team.

Paul

katstrapper
August 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Do you think with Appy's big win over Michigan that FBS teams will now think twice about scheduling FCS? Kansas State was notorious in the mid-90s and 00s for scheduling so-called "cream puffs" so that they could hang 70+ on a team for a big home win. This was after so many years of Kansas State just being terrible.

Paul

I dont think it will keep them from scheduling the games. I think FBS schools will pick the programs wisely though.

CamelCityAppFan
August 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I dont think it will keep them from scheduling the games. I think FBS schools will pick the programs wisely though.

Exactly. Harder for the top-tier I-AA teams, but perhaps more opportunity for the mid-tier teams.

elcid96
August 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM

That's my xtwocentsx .

They also need it the most with only 5-6K per game. It all evens out in the end.

Jacks76
August 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What are some of the mid-tier Division IAA teams?

Paul

IndianaAppMan
August 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
What are some of the mid-tier Division IAA teams?

Paul

Let's just put it this way: It's obvious which teams are "top-tier." Just look at the playoff results from recent years. It's also obvious who's bottom-tier: teams that are annual gimme games. A whole lot of teams are in the middle.

813Jag
August 28th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Paul
Maybe teams are thinking twice to schedule App State, but Florida State is playing two FCS teams back to back. So it doesn't appear to change too much.

I think until there's a huge change in the win percentage against FBS teams (my school included) FBS teams will continue to schedule FCS teams. Now if App can win in Tiger Stadium, UNI can knock off BYU, and other top FCS schools can pick up wins. (JMU doesn't count because Duke is still Duke xlolx) Then the landscape will change.

CID1990
August 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I don't think it has much effect. ASU beating Michigan doesn't suddenly create respect for FCS. From 1988-1992 we beat every FBS we played except for Air Force, and we played them to a 3 point game. FBS teams were still willing to schedule us even after the USC and Arkansas wins. They see those wins as flukes, generally.