PDA

View Full Version : 5 straight SOCON OPW

tarmac
October 24th, 2005, 09:47 PM
http://goasu.com/?page=202&article=5463&fromPage=137

Williams Makes It Five SoCon Offensive Players of the Week In a Row For Appalachian

by Appalachian Sports Information
October 24, 2005

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — For the fifth-straight game, Appalachian State University is home to the Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Week, as senior quarterback Richie Williams claimed the honor for the third time this season after racking up 322 yards of total offense in Appalachian’s 49-17 victory over Wofford.

Williams threw for 249 yards, ran for 73 and accounted for two touchdowns in just over three quarters of action to help the Mountaineers knock off a first-place team for the second-straight week and hold onto a tie atop the SoCon standings.

The Walter Payton Award candidate tossed a 25-yard scoring strike to tight end Daniel Bettis in the victory, Williams’ eighth touchdown pass against just two interceptions on the season. Williams also found the end zone from 10 yards out on the ground, giving him 10 total touchdowns on the campaign and 66 in his career.

In all, the Mountaineers scored touchdowns on six of the 10 drives that Williams played on before he came out of the game early in the fourth quarter.

Williams’ 322 yards of total offense marked the 11th time in his prolific career and that he has topped 300 total yards in a contest. Williams continued to build upon his school-record career total offense mark, as Saturday’s performance gives him 7,702 yards of total offense, just one yard shy of second on the Southern Conference’s all-time list.

The Camden, S.C. native also continued his mastery of Wofford. In just eight quarters of action against the Terriers in his career, Williams has completed 65-of-87 passes (74.7 pct.) for 901 yards and six touchdowns.

Dating back to Appalachian’s victory over Coastal Carolina on Sept. 17, Mountaineers have claimed SoCon Offensive Player of the Week recognition following each of their last five contests. Williams also earned the award versus The Citadel (Sept. 24) and Furman (Oct. 8), while running back Kevin Richardson garnered the plaudits following the CCU and Georgia Southern (Oct. 15) contests. The honor is the sixth of Williams’ prolific career.

In addition to Williams’ individual kudos, Appalachian (5-2, 3-1 SoCon) continues to build respect as a team, as it moved to No. 12 in both major national I-AA polls this week, up four spots from its previous ranking in The Sports Network poll and five places higher than last week’s ranking in the ESPN/USA Today coaches’ poll.

Williams and the Apps look to take another step towards their first SoCon championship since 1999 when they host Chattanooga (5-3, 2-2 SoCon) on Saturday. The homecoming showdown is set for 3:30 p.m. and will be televised live regionally on Comcast Sports Southeast.

ASU Kep
October 24th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I hope Jermain Austin or Jayson Foster snaps our streak Nov. 5th...

ASU Kep
October 24th, 2005, 10:17 PM
But hey, if we put up 500 yards on LSU, thats fine with me too.

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I still can't get over how easily Elder moved the ball on Wofford, Saturday.
To him, moving the ball in the redzone was just like getting another first down.
I'm not sure that Elder's first five yards running is not as fast as Richie's. We never got the chance to see if he can evade the sack as well as Richie, though.

blueballs
October 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I still can't get over how easily Elder moved the ball on Wofford, Saturday.
To him, moving the ball in the redzone was just like getting another first down.
I'm not sure that Elder's first five yards running is not as fast as Richie's. We never got the chance to see if he can evade the sack as well as Richie, though.

You will next year...

dungeonjoe
October 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Williams and Elder are both great QBs. I am proud of those two Palmetto State boys. It is a shame they couldn't/didn't/chose not to play ball in South Carolina.

Baldy
October 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM
http://goasu.com/?page=202&article=5463&fromPage=137
Williams Makes It Five SoCon Offensive Players of the Week In a Row For Appalachian

And 3 GSU freshmen have been named SoCon "Freshman of the Week" for the past 3 weeks, all on the defense. :nod:

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Williams and Elder are both great QBs. I am proud of those two Palmetto State boys. It is a shame they couldn't/didn't/chose not to play ball in South Carolina.

Elder was offered by Wofford, Ohio, ASU, and WCU.

fuEMO
October 25th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I'm happy with the two South Carolina quarterback products we've got. Sorrells from Greenville, Gray from Greenwood. Add to the mix 4 South Carolina Shrine Bowlers that all started in last years butt kickin of NC. And throw in a North/South All Star. The biggest impact out of this redshirt group for next year RJ Webb 6-3, 200 WR and Tharry Salley another beast at fullback came to Furman at 6-2, 225. He's gonna turn into a 6-2, 230+.

catamount man
October 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Elder was offered by Wofford, Ohio, ASU, and WCU.

How well I remember seeing Trey that weekend at the Elon-WCU basketball game in the Ramsey Center on the campus of WCU and thinking, "Please Lord, let him sign with us!". Alas, our staff offered another kid, who shall remain nameless, and Elder went up into the high country. :bang: :bang: :bang: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
October 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Will you quit remindng me please. I was having a good day.

SoCon48
October 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM
How well I remember seeing Trey that weekend at the Elon-WCU basketball game in the Ramsey Center on the campus of WCU and thinking, "Please Lord, let him sign with us!". Alas, our staff offered another kid, who shall remain nameless, and Elder went up into the high country. :bang: :bang: :bang: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

His WCU offer was still on the table when he visited App, as was the chance to stay at home with Woffart..