PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League - Week 1

carney2
August 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Back by "popular demand," but in an altered form. I won't be "keeping score" this year since it was a major league pain in the bumster. I hereby open what I hope will be a weekly prediction and commentary thread (started by anyone who has the urge) about the upcoming week's Patriot League game(s).

COLGATE @ Stony Brook

The only game scheduled for Week 1, and a perfect opportunity to pile on the Frozen Felons of the Tundra for their off season shenanigans and failure to adequately react to same.

I'll start. With Sticky Fingers Scott riding the pine and Dickie B. renowned for his opening game failures, ya just gotta go with the Seawolves at home. One never knows however, the Strict Disciplinarians might just steal one.

Fordham
August 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Tough opener but I still have to be a homer.

Colgate.

LCFan21
August 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
SEAWOLVES at home

Colgate will knock on the door a few times but leave empty handed!

carney2
August 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
SEAWOLVES at home

Colgate will knock on the door a few times but leave empty handed!

They never knock. They look for unlocked doors and let themselves in.

But there are consequences. They get a wink and an "Oh you naughty boy." from the administration. Football players then do not pass go. They proceed to pick up their rushing record and diploma.

LeopardFan04
August 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'll take Stony Brook too...I think they'll have the edge at home.

Go...gate
August 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM

But there are consequences. They get a wink and an "Oh you naughty boy." from the administration. Football players then do not pass go. They proceed to pick up their rushing record and diploma.

Do we have this to look forward to every week?

xbandwagonx

Go...gate
August 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Back by "popular demand," but in an altered form. I won't be "keeping score" this year since it was a major league pain in the bumster. I hereby open what I hope will be a weekly prediction and commentary thread (started by anyone who has the urge) about the upcoming week's Patriot League game(s).

COLGATE @ Stony Brook

The only game scheduled for Week 1, and a perfect opportunity to pile on the Frozen Felons of the Tundra for their off season shenanigans and failure to adequately react to same.

I'll start. With Sticky Fingers Scott riding the pine and Dickie B. renowned for his opening game failures, ya just gotta go with the Seawolves at home. One never knows however, the Strict Disciplinarians might just steal one.

xlolx

crusader11
August 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Haha, good stuff carney.

SB has continually been improving their program, as seen with their decision to go the scholarship route along with their beautiful new stadium. Even with Scott, I think SB would win this game. In fact, I would go as far to say that SB would be a very competitive team in the PL this year.

Wolves 24 - Raiders 16

MDFAN
August 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Except SB isn't in the PL....they will however shackle colgate

carney2
August 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM

xbandwagonx

Every week from now until...

crusader11
August 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Except SB isn't in the PL....they will however shackle colgate

Hence the word, "would."

C-Mo
August 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
SB gets robbed of a win with a late colgate score.

C-Mo
August 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
or if you prefer, colgate steals a win.

TheValleyRaider
August 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM

xbandwagonx

Every week from now until...

Lafayette beats Colgate again and carney can soothe his ego with the thought of beating the "convicts"

So in other words, probably another decade or so xcoolx

carney2
August 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I've changed my avatar in honor of the opener @ Stony Brook.

On second thought, avatar removed. Even I may have stepped over the line with that one.

PeacockRaider
August 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Colgate 28 Stony Brook 20...I know gate struggles in openers and Scott will be out, but the O-Line is dominant and Hansen had been waiting since his freshman year to get another shot at running the ball.

Seawolf97
August 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
We shall see- SBU 33 Colgate 17xcoffeex

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Stony Brook should be favored.

Colgate has a tradition of slow starts in season openers and SBU's scholarship growth over the last two seasons has been underrated. This could be one of those "tipping point" games for the BSC to make a move to distinguish itself against a top PL team.

(Corrected...)

Seawolf97
August 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Stony Brook should be favored.

Colgate has a tradition of slow starts in season openers and SBU's scholarship growth over the last two seasons has been underrated. This could be one of those "tipping point" games for the NEC to make a move to distinguish itself against a top PL team.

Actually we are in the Big South starting this season. We tipped already -we are at 55 scholarships going into this season .

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
without Scott Colgate loses a close one.

SB- 20 Gate- 14

BobbyMo
August 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
SBU (former NEC pride)

ngineer
August 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I would consider this close even if Scott was present. There is a conviction that Colgate will be handcuffed in this game...:D

Pard94
August 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM

xbandwagonx

Umm...yes. I am afraid so. This and worse and Colgate and Scott are still getting off very light.

LCFan21
August 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Umm...yes. I am afraid so. This and worse and Colgate and Scott are still getting off very light.

You didn't expect to get off scott-free did you?

ColgateTD
August 28th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Raiders get away Scott-free ---xbowx

Red Raiders 24, The Brook 17

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-appalachian-state-fans-bette&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Colgate at Stony Brook. What seemed like just another opening-day matchup becomes much more interesting when Raider runningback Jordan Scott was suspended for this particular game for an offseason incident. The Seawolves, eager to show off their team now teeming with 63 scholarships, have the goal of an at-large playoff spot and will have a running threat of their own in runningback Conte Cuttino. Who takes this one? I think Colgate’s going to prove that they are not simply Jordan Scott and a cloud of dust. Colgate wins. “STEVE HANSEN and a cloud of dust?” 30, Southern-Fried Seawolves 27.

I think it's close: and I think that Colgate takes in near the end.

Fordham
August 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
What will be very interesting is the impact of this tough schedule for Colgate. Heading into our game in the Bronx, will they be better off for having faced these tough 4 teams to start the year or might their confidence be shaken a bit if things don't go well.

I certainly tend to think it's a positive for them. Either way, Stony Brook, C.C., Furman and Dartmouth is an impressive start.

Go...gate
August 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Colgate 25 (I'm not sure about the kicking game), SB 23.

Go...gate
August 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM

xbangx

TheValleyRaider
August 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Colgate at Stony Brook Colgate Two pretty evenly matched teams, at least by last year's standard. Both got tight wins over Albany, plus victories against Bucknell and Georgetown. Both return good offensive performers, plus solid defenses. Some questions for the game:
-How big is the gap between Scott and the rest of the Raider RBs?
-How does the SB offense respond with a freshman making the start at QB?
-Was last year's season opener an aberration, or has Biddle finally learned to win openers this time?
I won't pretend to know the answers. I will say I'm excited to see football again, especially against a good up-and-comer like Stony Brook. Should be a great game. Why pick Colgate? Because I'm a homer, so there :p

Redwyn
August 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Gotta think the running game will be something very special, with receivers compensating for a young QB. The defense should decide this one, as it has a tendency too when Stony Brook is involved.

55 scholarships....I still remember when SBU was USB and DIII. Man have things changed.

carney2
August 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM
The betting line is Colgate by 11 1/2. That's a pretty big spread.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
The betting line is Colgate by 11 1/2. That's a pretty big spread.

If I were a betting man.... The Stony Ones and the points.

(but take Colgate to win :D )

Seawolf97
August 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Colgate at Stony Brook Colgate Two pretty evenly matched teams, at least by last year's standard. Both got tight wins over Albany, plus victories against Bucknell and Georgetown. Both return good offensive performers, plus solid defenses. Some questions for the game:
-How big is the gap between Scott and the rest of the Raider RBs?
-How does the SB offense respond with a freshman making the start at QB?
-Was last year's season opener an aberration, or has Biddle finally learned to win openers this time?
I won't pretend to know the answers. I will say I'm excited to see football again, especially against a good up-and-comer like Stony Brook. Should be a great game. Why pick Colgate? Because I'm a homer, so there :p

First to any Colgate fans making the trip to Long Island hope you
enjoy yourselves and welcome. Stick around after the game for a Grucci Fireworks display right behind the stadium.
I dont think our QB has been annouced yet but I suspect they will
go with Matt Dardenne JC All American from California. We also signed
his favorite target Adrian Sawyer (92 yds/gm) As for the kicking game
All Big South Pre Season pick Luke Gaddis is back. He has two 47
yarders to his credit in 2007. And yes cant wait for this season to kick
off should be fun!

TheValleyRaider
August 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I'd love to be making the trip, but sadly Stony Brook is a bit of a trek from my home away from home here in Texas

Very nice little town though xnodx

Ruler
August 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Actually Albany beat SBU last season 24-21.

TheValleyRaider
August 29th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Actually Albany beat SBU last season 24-21.

xoopsx

I did know that

I think I gave SBU the benefit of the doubt given their game was at Albany (and you probably should have beaten us :o )

ColgateTD
August 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Seawolf97 - thanks for the kindly invitation. Wish I could make the game, but other commitments prevent it. Maybe I'll catch it on the radio up here....

It seems to me there is a very nice inn - Three Towns Inn, or Three Rivers Inn?? - in Stony Brook, that 'Gate fans might enjoy after the game. Good food, nice atmosphere as I recall from years ago watching my brother-in-law graduate from SB.

But I digress... Onward Raiders!!..xthumbsupx

LBPop
August 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I had the pleasure of visiting Stony Brook twice during my career as a football Dad. It is a beautiful facility with an outstanding scoreboard and the people could not be more hospitable. Saw two good games--a late fourth quarter Hoya victory and a near miss comeback by the Hoyas to open last season. Sadly, LBKid sprained a knee on his first play from scrimmage and missed half the season. Great place to visit, a little tough on the knee. xlolx

Ivytalk
August 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
One of my law partners and her husband both graduated from SB, so I have a vested rooting interest in this game!xnodx

Andy
August 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Colgate by 17.

hc12
August 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Convicts24 SB21

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Colgate 27 SBU 13