PDA

View Full Version : Top State for FCS?

Eight Legger
August 27th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Which state is the strongest when it comes to FCS football? And no, App State does not count as a state.

I would argue it's between Virginia, South Carolina and Illinois but I may be overlooking some others.

This year in Virginia, we have UR #4, JMU #6, Liberty and Hampton getting votes and W&M as a historically solid program. VMI obviously has a great tradition, and Norfolk State has shown some signs of life.

Illinois has Western, Eastern and Southern all ranked in the top 25 to start the season.

South Carolina has Wofford, Furman, The Citadel, Coastal Carolina and SC State.

Honorable menion to Pennsylvania, with Lafayette, Lehigh and Villanova leading the way, and North Carolina, with Elon, Western Carolina and some team in the mountains.

bluehenbillk
August 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I'd argue that the majority of the people in Virginia & South Carolina really only care about UVA, VaTech, USC & Clemson.

Montana & Delaware would be my picks for states that really love this level of football.

Thundering_Herd
August 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
*Yawn* Yeah, what he said^ plus I'd add North Dakota because we have a good program and ridiculous fans! Here in nodak and next door in Montana, FCS football is all we have. No FBS/BCS teams to steal the thunder.

andy7171
August 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I'd argue that the majority of the people in Virginia & South Carolina really only care about UVA, VaTech, USC & Clemson.

Montana & Delaware would be my picks for states that really love this level of football.

I agree. I first thought of Montana.

Louisiana has a bunch of teams too.

mcveyrl
August 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Which state is the strongest when it comes to FCS football? And no, App State does not count as a state.

I would argue it's between Virginia, South Carolina and Illinois but I may be overlooking some others.

This year in Virginia, we have UR #4, JMU #6, Liberty and Hampton getting votes and W&M as a historically solid program. VMI obviously has a great tradition, and Norfolk State has shown some signs of life.

Illinois has Western, Eastern and Southern all ranked in the top 25 to start the season.

Honorable menion to Pennsylvania, with Lafayette, Lehigh and Villanova leading the way, and North Carolina, with Elon, Western Carolina and some team in the mountains.

In Virginia, you can add ODU soon, too.

But, I agree with bhbk, as far as states where FCS football is per capita more popular and also you have more strength per team, you have to give the nod to Delaware and Montana. With both of those state's top schools playing FCS and at a fairly high level, it's a no-brainer to me.

th0m
August 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
What I think Eight Legger means is not how supportive a state is of its FCS programs, but what state has the most quality FCS teams regardless of their support.

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
How about for states that care the most... ( i know not point of thread) nd and sd care alot about their fcs football!

OLDMAIN80
August 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Being from SC I certianly agree with the first statement. As far as Montana and Delaware, what other choices do you have?xthumbsupx

wapiti
August 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Does New York have the most FCS schools?

They should be in the running for just sheer number of FCS schools.

Appaholic
August 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM

North Carolina just got disqualified........

henfan
August 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Who could top Delaware? Two teams in the FCS; two in the playoffs. We batted 1.000 last year.

And, BTW, our only other college team, D-III Wesley College, was a national semi-finalist two years running.

Oh, and we might soon have a Blue Hen in the White House.

Way to go FIRST STATE!

xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
August 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
What I think Eight Legger means is not how supportive a state is of its FCS programs, but what state has the most quality FCS teams regardless of their support.

You are correct. I can't argue that Delaware and Montana probably have the best overall fan support, but I just meant which state has the most quality programs overall.

ASUMountaineer
August 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Yes, I agree with Montana.

That's why I think Montana has the best chance of going FBS should they ever explore it. They're in a perfect place for the WAC and would be the only FBS school in the state. I think they should be before ASU or GSU with moving up. Personally, I hope we all stay here in FCS for the foreseeable future.

mcveyrl
August 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
You are correct. I can't argue that Delaware and Montana probably have the best overall fan support, but I just meant which state has the most quality programs overall.

I don't think that's a fair assessment, though. Virginia has a ton of D-I schools, odds are in our favor. Delaware and Montana have two. Both of which are FCS and supported well (with Del. St. being a distant second).

Tribe4SF
August 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Many folks in Virginia have a favorite FBS program, and a favorite FCS program. With ODU kicking in next year, if all eight FCS programs are home on any given Saturday, you'll have well over 100,000 people attending an FCS game in the state.

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM

you better be careful or this will be headed to smack very quickly

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Pennsylvania is the top state for FCS, and here's why.

We BORDER a state with two teams in the FCS playoffs, and they're filled with "native sons" of Pennsylvania!

:D

(figured I'd apply the "Joe Biden VP Pick Logic" to other intractible arguments and see how it works...)

appmaj
August 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Does NC have any FBS teams?

xsmiley_wix

Appaholic
August 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
you better be careful or this will be headed to smack very quickly

We are talking about WCU, right? And comparing which states have the best FCS programs? WCU, based upon recent performance, certainly doesn't STRENGTHEN NC's case in this realm.....that's not Smack, that's truth......

catbob
August 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Who could top Delaware? Two teams in the FCS; two in the playoffs. We batted 1.000 last year.

And, BTW, our only other college team, D-III Wesley College, was a national semi-finalist two years running.

Oh, and we might soon have a Blue Hen in the White House.

Way to go FIRST STATE!

xthumbsupx

Yea well on other college team, an NAIA team (Carroll College) has won 5 of the last 6 national championships in NAIA. So :p

In fact we have two teams in the NAIA top 25, Carroll at #1 and Montana Tech at #21.

OB55
August 27th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Wyoming, they just don't realize they are FCS yet. :p

Bull Fan
August 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Wyoming always intrigued me, from back when they were somewhat competitive. I do wonder if they enjoy a relatively equal amount of fan support as Montana.

As an aside, Wyo's War Memorial Stadium is the highest altitude D-I stadium in the country. I would wonder if it's not the highest overall, as I don't think Denver's Mile-High surpasses it. Always wanted to get to Wyoming and see a game there.

The Cats
August 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM

You sound like a broken record..... smack Western..... smack Western..... smack Western...... smack Western...... guess you got no other life.......
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

gobluehose1
August 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM

add Presbyterian College and Charleston Southern...that makes seven FCS teams

Appaholic
August 27th, 2008, 11:11 AM
You sound like a broken record..... smack Western..... smack Western..... smack Western...... smack Western...... guess you got no other life.......
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

I repeat, truth is NOT smack........but, since you brought up broken records, I think App's margin of victory against WCU last year broke some records......xwhistlex

93henfan
August 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hawaii.

<crickets>

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Bucknell
Duquesne
Lafayette
Lehigh
Penn
Robert Morris
St. Francis
Villinova

I believe PA has the most FCS schools with 8. We had 9 until recently when LaSalle pulled the plug. PA also has the most schools that play football across all divisions with something like 47.

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Bucknell
Duquesne
Lafayette
Lehigh
Penn
Robert Morris
St. Francis
Villinova

I believe PA has the most FCS schools with 8. We had 9 until recently when LaSalle pulled the plug. PA also has the most schools that play football across all divisions with something like 47.

Actually NY has 10--they have the most FCS schools. PA is second.

Bull Fan
August 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Bucknell
Duquesne
Lafayette
Lehigh
Penn
Robert Morris
St. Francis
Villinova

Wow. Given all the home-grown talent, that's a fitting amount of teams. Along those lines, Ohio could probably come close at the total Division I level, with the MAC schools factored in. Add in their D-III teams, and it's another formidable state.

Mountaineer
August 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM

North Carolina is second. :D We have 9 FCS schools. PA and VA are tied for 3rd with 8 apiece. xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
August 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I agree. In terms of states that are totally dedicated to FCS, Montana, Delaware, and now NDSU are the top candidates. But in terms of the most teams that continually do well, Virginia has to be towards the top.

Bull Fan
August 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
A list of teams by state.

http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/LinksList.html

Canyoncat
August 27th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'll give a homer shout out for the state of Montana. With the Griz averaging this year over 25,000 (think that is your stadium capacity) and the Cats averaging this year over 14,000 that is close to 40,000 per game attendance in a state with a population of 990,000 with lots of driving miles to and from games. Plus the Griz are yearly participants in the playoffs and the Cats had a playoff win in 2006 and two previous playoff apperances makes for some great FCS football in the state of Montana.

Mountaineer
August 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM
A list of teams by state.

http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/LinksList.html

A little project I did back in June. *plug plug* :D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42458

89Hen
August 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
As others said, it depends on what you're asking. Montana, Delaware and the Dakotas have to top the list if you're talking about the whole state caring about I-AA and THE schools in the state being I-AA. If you're just talking number of teams, then VA, SC or NY.

AggieFinn
August 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
*Yawn* Yeah, what he said^ plus I'd add North Dakota because we have a good program and ridiculous fans! Here in nodak and next door in Montana, FCS football is all we have. No FBS/BCS teams to steal the thunder.

I'd agree, FCS football IS NORTH DAKOTA! South Dakota too for that matter. Any other states have only a FCS fan base? Delaware?

stevdock
August 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I agree. In terms of states that are totally dedicated to FCS, Montana, Delaware, and now NDSU are the top candidates. But in terms of the most teams that continually do well, Virginia has to be towards the top.

Sweet NDSU became it's own state. By far the smallest, but we are a state xthumbsupx

ysubigred
August 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Shat!!! It's got to be OHIO!! We have Dayton :D

TwinTownBisonFan
August 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I think when deciding this, you HAVE to take in to account the proximity and popularity of FBS.

I think MT wins this debate, with DE, ND and SD coming shortly thereafter (for now). On Saturday in the fall all eyes are on FCS in those states... whereas in VA it's on the Hokies and Cavaliers, and in NC it's on the Wolfpack and to a far lesser extent the Pirates, Heels, and Deacons. And in SC... forget it... compared to Clemson and U.S.C.... no hope.

Retro
August 27th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Louisiana teams with average home attendance in 2007..

Grambling State Tigers - Grambling -- 12,448
McNeese State Cowboys - Lake Charles -- 12,819
Nicholls State Colonels - Thibodaux -- 5,383
Northwestern State Demons - Natchitoches -- 7,977
Southeastern Louisiana Lions - Hammond -- 4,951
Southern Jaguars - Baton Rouge -- 18,913

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2008, 03:06 PM
North Carolina is second. :D We have 9 FCS schools. PA and VA are tied for 3rd with 8 apiece. xthumbsupx

9?? You cant count schools that havent played a game yet like Campbell.

GAD
August 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Louisiana teams with average home attendance in 2007..

Grambling State Tigers - Grambling -- 12,448
McNeese State Cowboys - Lake Charles -- 12,819
Nicholls State Colonels - Thibodaux -- 5,383
Northwestern State Demons - Natchitoches -- 7,977
Southeastern Louisiana Lions - Hammond -- 4,951
Southern Jaguars - Baton Rouge -- 18,913

With these numbers we are as good as anyone in the country plus we compete with 5 FBS teams one being a BCS and the SAINTS
SoUthern has outdrawn Montana and Delaware in some seasons

catbob
August 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM
With these numbers we are as good as anyone in the country plus we compete with 5 FBS teams one being a BCS and the SAINTS
SoUthern has outdrawn Montana and Delaware in some seasons

There are more people in New Orleans than Montana. Let alone the whole state of Louisiana.

Seawolf97
August 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Exactly
Cornell, Colgate, Albany, Marist, Fordham, Iona , Columbia, Wagner, SBU and Hofstra. Not bad.;)

Seawolf97
August 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
There are more people in New Orleans than Montana. Let alone the whole state of Louisiana.

Saw that population figure . Staten Island is about the same size people wisexcoffeex

HensRock
August 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
FCS Teams per State:

NY 10 - Albany,Colgate,Columbia,Cornell,Fordham,Hofstra,Io na,Marist,Stony Brook,Wagner

NC 9 - Appalchian State,Campbell,Davidson,Elon,Gardner Webb,North Carolina A&T,North Carolina Central,Western Carolina,Winston-Salem State

PA 8 - Bucknell,Duquesne,Lafayette,Lehigh,Pennsylvania,Ro bert Morris,St. Francis,Villanova

SC 7 - Charleston Southern,The Citadel,Coastal Carolina,Furman,Presbyterian,South Carolina State,Wofford

VA 7 - Hampton,James Madison,Liberty,Norfolk State,Richmond,VMI,William & Mary

LA 6 - Grambling State,McNeese State,Nicholls State,Northwestern State,Southeastern Louisiana,Southern

TN 5 - Austin Peay,Chattanooga,Tennessee State,Tennessee Tech,Tennessee-Martin

TX 5 - Prairie View A&M,Sam Houston State,Stephen F. Austin,Texas Southern,Texas State-San Marcos

AL 4 - Alabama A&M,Alabama State,Jacksonville State,Samford

CA 4 - Cal Poly,Cal State Sacramento,San Diego,UC Davis

IL 4 - Eastern Illinois,Illinois State,Southern Illinois,Western Illinois

MA 4 - Harvard,Holy Cross,Massachusetts,Northeastern

HensRock
August 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
3: CT,FL,IN,KY,MS,RI

2: AR,DC,DE,GA,IA,MD,MO,MT,ND,NH,NJ,OH,SD,UT

1: AZ,CO,ID,ME,OR,WA

0: AK,HI,KS,MI,MN,NE,NV,NM,OK,VT,WI,WV,WY

GSUhooligan
August 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
North Dakota wins (if you include UND)

State Attendance State Population % of State @ FCS Game

ND 28028 639,715 4.38%

Montana 37045 957,861 3.87%

Delaware 25630 864,764 2.96%

SD 19539 796,214 2.45%

VA 76637 7,712,091 0.99%

NC 82043 9,061,032 0.91%

89Hen
August 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM
North Dakota wins (if you include UND)

State Attendance State Population % of State @ FCS Game

ND 28028 639,715 4.38%

Montana 37045 957,861 3.87%

Delaware 25630 864,764 2.96%

SD 19539 796,214 2.45%

VA 76637 7,712,091 0.99%

NC 82043 9,061,032 0.91%
In all fairness, probably 20-30% of UD's attendance comes from outside of Delaware. :)