Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State
Cyrus Igono, Northern Arizona
K
Gavin Hallford, Jacksonville State
P
Ryan Coyle, Princeton
RS
Dominic Bolden, Liberty

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/media/blogs/CSN/COLLEGE%20SPORTING%20NEWS%202008%20PRESEASON%20ALL .pdf

Maroon&White
August 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
CB
Sam Pope, Hampton
Courtney Robinson, Massachusetts

UMass' second best corner makes third team, yet the best corner, Sean Smalls doesn't make any. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Tribe4SF
August 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Have to agree on Sean Smalls.

TheValleyRaider
August 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
THIRD TEAM
RB
Jordan Scott, Colgate

Way to go Jordan! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

McNeese72
August 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Oh, no's!! Only one OL on the third team! "We suck again". ;)

Doc

Syntax Error
August 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
UMass' second best corner makes third team, yet the best corner, Sean Smalls doesn't make any. That makes a whole lot of sense.Maybe Smalls isn't your best corner?

umassfan
August 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Maybe Smalls isn't your best corner?

I dont know what crack you are smoking to make that statment. Smalls has been listed as one of the top Small School Draft Prospects for some time now. We do have the best DBs in all FCS but Smalls tops them.

ericsaid
August 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
NO D.J. SMITH?!?! All of these sports writers are going to feel extremely DUMB for not putting him on their lists. He will be hand down one of the top 10 linebackers of his draft class.(Already is).

Ranked 9th by draftscout which includes FBS players, and isn't picked AA. By seasons end or maybe by around 9 E.T. August 30th, everyone will know who D.J. Smith is.

BEAR
August 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Doc

We don't have any! Poor Nathan..looks like his possible NFL career if finished! We are going to resemble Texas State this year...xthumbsupx

th0m
August 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Doc

JMU's got zero players in that selection, and it really doesn't make me think less of the team.

smallcollegefbfan
August 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM
NO D.J. SMITH?!?! All of these sports writers are going to feel extremely DUMB for not putting him on their lists. He will be hand down one of the top 10 linebackers of his draft class.(Already is).

Ranked 9th by draftscout which includes FBS players, and isn't picked AA. By seasons end or maybe by around 9 E.T. August 30th, everyone will know who D.J. Smith is.

Draft status has very little bearing on AA ability and I can almost guarantee that any good media outlet won't be influenced by any draft website.

Smith probably deserves to be on but who do you take off? Which player on the list would you take off? There will always be a snub and usually sophomores get snubbed when a position is stacked.

We all know he will be a 1st or 2nd teamer for sure next season. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
August 27th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Heck, they pick Tim Silver or UR at 3rd team OT, and he isn't pre season All CAA.

Syntax Error
August 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Heck, they pick Tim Silver or UR at 3rd team OT, and he isn't pre season All CAA.All-Conference teams are political. Heck, Bruce Eugene wasn't named on the SWAC All-Conference teams one year.

smallcollegefbfan
August 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Heck, they pick Tim Silver or UR at 3rd team OT, and he isn't pre season All CAA.

The CAA is loaded with linemen. Silver belongs but so does about 3 centers from the CAA but with only 3 center spots on the AA teams it is tough to get them all on there.

Maroon&White
August 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I dont know what crack you are smoking to make that statment. Smalls has been listed as one of the top Small School Draft Prospects for some time now. We do have the best DBs in all FCS but Smalls tops them.

Haha, yeah, Smalls isn't that good of a corner, not even the best on UMass. xlolx xlolx

Pre-season Sports Network second-team, Phil Steele first-team, Mel Kiper's top small school player, on some other espn blog a guy wrote he's the best small school guy behind Armanti. "Smalls has emerged as one of college football's tougher one-on-one covermen and an integral part of a terrific secondary."

Robinson was just a 2007 First-team CAA (along with Smalls), and now a preseason 2008 first-team CAA (along with Smalls).

Honestly, I can see how it's confusing which is better.

smallcollegefbfan
August 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Haha, yeah, Smalls isn't that good of a corner, not even the best on UMass. xlolx xlolx

Pre-season Sports Network second-team, Phil Steele first-team, Mel Kiper's top small school player, on some other espn blog a guy wrote he's the best small school guy behind Armanti. "Smalls has emerged as one of college football's tougher one-on-one covermen and an integral part of a terrific secondary."

Robinson was just a 2007 First-team CAA (along with Smalls), and now a preseason 2008 first-team CAA (along with Smalls).

Honestly, I can see how it's confusing which is better.

Must agree with you. Smalls is a major snub in my opinion but that happens. I would like to hear what made them pick Robinson. Perhaps they know something we don't?

He is probable draft pick and one of the best pure corners in the nation.

The season is upon us and these preseason picks don't matter anyway now because it is all earned on the field! Congrats to those who earned preseason honors and hopefully most of them are still there at the end of the year!

Syntax Error
August 27th, 2008, 11:30 PM
... Smith probably deserves to be on but who do you take off? ...
... Honestly, I can see how it's confusing which is better.
Must agree with you. Smalls is a major snub...Agree with what? That you say he PROBABLY deserves to be on the teams, or it "is a MAJOR SNUB"? That it is difficult to determine which one is better? Honestly, when somebody speaks out of both ends it is confusing. xnodx Steele, ESPN bloggers, Kiper? xlolx I wonder how many times any of them have seen either of the UMass CBs in person? I'll guess ZERO times. xnodx The real teams are at the end of the season based on their play on the college gridiron, not the pro draft or prospect talk. xcoffeex

Maroon&White
August 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Agree with what? That you say he PROBABLY deserves to be on the teams, or it "is a MAJOR SNUB"? That it is difficult to determine which one is better? Honestly, when somebody speaks out of both ends it is confusing. xnodx Steele, ESPN bloggers, Kiper? xlolx I wonder how many times any of them have seen either of the UMass CBs in person? I'll guess ZERO times. xnodx The real teams are at the end of the season based on their play on the college gridiron, not the pro draft or prospect talk. xcoffeex

His name is Sean SMALLS, not Smith. Pay attention. You don't even know the kids name.

Syntax Error
August 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Maybe Smalls isn't your best corner?
His name is Sean SMALLS, not Smith. Pay attention. You don't even know the kids name.xconfusedx Yeah, pay attention.

Maroon&White
August 27th, 2008, 11:58 PM
xconfusedx Yeah, pay attention.

Originally Posted by SmallCollegeFBFan
.. Smith probably deserves to be on but who do you take off? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon&White
... Honestly, I can see how it's confusing which is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCollegeFBFan
Must agree with you. Smalls is a major snub...

Agree with what? That you say he PROBABLY deserves to be on the teams, or it "is a MAJOR SNUB"? That it is difficult to determine which one is better? Honestly, when somebody speaks out of both ends it is confusing. Steele, ESPN bloggers, Kiper? I wonder how many times any of them have seen either of the UMass CBs in person? I'll guess ZERO times. The real teams are at the end of the season based on their play on the college gridiron, not the pro draft or prospect talk.

SmallCollegeFBFan was originally talking about DJ Smith when he said "SMITH probably deserves to be on." NOT Sean Smalls. Two very different people. SmallCollegeFBFan then said the absence of Sean Smalls was a major snub, NOT DJ Smith.

Stop questioning how many times these other people have seen the UMass CBs, you don't even know their names! Have you seen them play and can honestly say Courtney Robinson (the other UMass CB) is the better corner then Smalls?

Syntax Error
August 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Stop questioning how many times these other people have seen the UMass CBs, you don't even know their names! Have you seen them play and can honestly say Courtney Robinson (the other UMass CB) is the better corner then Smalls?1. I did not say Robinson was better than Smalls. 2. I called Smalls by name. 3. Mea Culpa I was not the only one confused on this thread. 4. Yes, I have seen both play in person and they both are good, like you pointed out. I voted for them both for different reasons. xcoffeex

Maroon&White
August 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM
1. I did not say Robinson was better than Smalls. 2. I called Smalls by name. 3. Mea Culpa I was not the only one confused on this thread. 4. Yes, I have seen both play in person and they both are good, like you pointed out. I voted for them both for different reasons. xcoffeex

1. Saying maybe Robinson is better and defending the slight of leaving Smalls off every team is saying Robinson is better. 2. Great, but who cares, you still don't know what you are talking about. 3. Yes, you were the only one confused, or more like you just don't know anything. 4. No **** they are both good, could be why they were both 1st team CAA last year at corner. Trying to say Robinson is better is nonsense. He might be better then all but one corner in the CAA, but that other corner is on the same team.

Syntax Error
August 28th, 2008, 01:04 AM
xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xrolleyesx ... they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Goodbye. xnonono2x

magman919
August 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
This Pierre Banks guy keeps showing up on everyone's All-American list.
He must be pretty good.xsmiley_wix

D.J. Smith's time will come.xthumbsupx

Jerbearasu
August 28th, 2008, 06:33 AM
UMass' second best corner makes third team, yet the best corner, Sean Smalls doesn't make any. That makes a whole lot of sense.

AA honors are determined by stats to a major extent. If Smalls is clearly better most likely other teams are throwing to the other side of the field which allows the other guy to compile all the stats, especially if he is good himself. Dre Bly had like 15 INT's as a freshman and was 1st team AA that year. People got smart and stopped throwing his way. I don't believe he was AA after that year...