PDA

View Full Version : Arrests Abound for Coastal Carolina

BJuice
August 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I find it pretty ironic that nothing has been posted about this news or string of events surrounding the Coastal Carolina football program.

Today's arrest makes 6 arrests for the Coastal Carolina Chanticleer football program since last August.

Tonight's news...

Another CCU Football Player Charged (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/breaking_news/story/570217.html)

A Coastal Carolina freshman football player has been suspended from the university after he was charged with simple assault and battery following an on-campus incident last night. Jeremy Demetrius Harden, a freshman defensive lineman from Hamlet, N.C., was booked at J. Reuben Long Detention Center at 1 a.m. this morning by campus police and later released, jail records show.

Last week's news...

Coastal Carolina Football Player Charged With Sexual Assault (http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/aug/21/coastal_carolina_football_player_charged_sexual_as/)

The Sun News of Myrtle Beach reported Thursday that a police report provided by the school said freshman wide receiver William Chandler is charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

It looks like the SCDC litter team will be adding some major talent to it's collection team.

Name change suggestions being taken...

Coastal Correctional University
Conway Correctional Unit

Color change suggestions...

Bright Orange
Khaki
Black and White Stripes

Uniform Suggestions...

Jumpsuits

APPALACHIANstate
August 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
SMack?

BeauFoster
August 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
It may not have originated there, but there is mention in the Smack thread...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45863

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
The original thread was started as smack.

This one would've been good here had he not started talking crap.

bobbythekidd
August 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
It looks like the SCDC litter team will be adding some major talent to it's collection team.

Name change suggestions being taken...

Coastal Correctional University
Conway Correctional Unit

Color change suggestions...

Bright Orange
Khaki
Black and White Stripes

Uniform Suggestions...

Jumpsuits

SMack?Yeah. That is nothing but smack. Learn to play nice newbie.xtwocentsx

ngineer
August 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM
It's really unbelieveable the number of criminal arrests that have occured this year with athletes, and especially football players, across the country. It speaks volumes of the culture we've created by pandering to and coddling our high school athletes who are catered to all the time. No sense of responsibilty. However, clearly a problem with all these colleges who fail to make the players realize and understand what is acceptable.
At the same time, I also believe that some of this is due to electronic society we have today. Now, nothing gets swept under the carpet as matters would be handled 'internally' in years past. xsmhx

stonywolf
August 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Lets be fair. there's far more collegiate athletes doing the right thing than those scrubs you hear about in the papers.

For every one college football player that gets in trouble with the law, there are probably hundreds of kids of the same age that DONT play football getting in trouble.

BJuice
August 26th, 2008, 09:53 PM
The original thread was started as smack.

This one would've been good here had he not started talking crap.

We're rivals, what do you expect.

I have not said anything different than people have said for years about the "U", or anything different than people are saying about South Carolina now.

It happens.

SuperJon
August 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I didn't say you couldn't say that stuff. I said if you're gonna say that stuff and make fun of them, put it in the smack forum. If you're going to discuss the arrests, put it here.

phoenix3
August 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Lets be fair. there's far more collegiate athletes doing the right thing than those scrubs you hear about in the papers.

For every one college football player that gets in trouble with the law, there are probably hundreds of kids of the same age that DONT play football getting in trouble.

This may be true but there are many, many more doing the wrong thing than there were as little as 10 years ago. I know I sound like the old codger I am, but 30 years ago we were held to a higher standard and with very few exceptions we rose to the occasion.

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
it seems like every major story this year leading up to college football has to do with players getting arrested:(

ngineer
August 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM
This may be true but there are many, many more doing the wrong thing than there were as little as 10 years ago. I know I sound like the old codger I am, but 30 years ago we were held to a higher standard and with very few exceptions we rose to the occasion.

If you think about it , though, standards were higher for much of everything years ago. Just look at how we treat each other these days. Things such as 'manners' and being polite are out the window...I guess Outback really underscored it with their slogan, "No rules"...xsmhx

ElonPride
August 27th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Does anyone remember the rape charges brought up against the UTC players that turned out to be bogus? I think it was 4 years ago....

eaglesrthe1
August 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM

In 1978 a DUI would not have come until after the accident, there was no such term as "date rape", and a bar fight was just that. Drug use getting you kicked out of school and off the team? With no testing you'd have to be caught selling off the street corner. Plus you wouldn't have had a clue what was happening in the next town, much less across the country.

It doesn't mean it wasn't all happening. An athlete wouldn't have been held accountable for 10% of what he is now.

SoCon48
August 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Does anyone remember the rape charges brought up against the UTC players that turned out to be bogus? I think it was 4 years ago....

2005 The incident happened, just the case was thrown out because they couldn't prove it wasn't consensual.

Shattuck said the testimony did not show the woman -- who testified she drank three malt liquors, at least two beers and sipped some mixed liquor drinks -- was unable to either attract attention of nearby residents by screaming or just leave the apartment.

Judge figured she could hold her liquor. 3 malt liquors...most women will do anything you ask if you get them to down 3 of those big Colt 45's. In fact the 2 beers would be sufficient for most coeds. xthumbsupx

phoenix3
August 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM
In 1978 a DUI would not have come until after the accident, there was no such term as "date rape", and a bar fight was just that. Drug use getting you kicked out of school and off the team? With no testing you'd have to be caught selling off the street corner. Plus you wouldn't have had a clue what was happening in the next town, much less across the country.

It doesn't mean it wasn't all happening. An athlete wouldn't have been held accountable for 10% of what he is now.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not saying things didn't happen 30 years ago, but they didn't happen with nearly the same magnitude and frequency as they do today, regardless of the reporting. IMO, the reason you see players getting kicked off the team for drug use is in response to the magnitude of the problem cavalier attitude with which many athletes operate off the field. I hope that some of the punishment being levied these days will have a positive effect.

ColgateTD
August 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
What y'all are saying is well and good, but bottom line Colgate needs CC to be as weak as possible come 9/6. We know they are a tough team to beat.

We have our own problems with Mr. Scott...xeekx

CarolinaGirl
August 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I appreciate the fair and reasonable talk of this topic. Even though BugJuice tried to start crap with his smack talk (don't even try to deny it!), the truth of the matter is, it is happening more and more across the country. Unfortunately, certain CCU players have fallen into this category and that is sad, as it is viewed unfavorably upon our University and our our athletics program. It is also true that a football player (or any athlete) who gets in trouble with the law is magnified 10 times more than any other regular student who would do the same thing. You don't necessarily hear about those incidents and they certainly aren't advertised in large, bold print at the top of the newspaper.
Again, thank you fellow AGSers who spoke about the actual issue in athletic programs in many schools across the country. xpeacex
And BugJuice, if you had actually looked, you would have seen these issues brought up already. I read 3 other related threads before I made it to yours. xcoffeex

downbythebeach
August 27th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Freshman are always the worst.....especially with treating women

Seawolf97
August 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM
No team or sport is exempt from something like this . So any team or school who hasnt had an incident -count your lucky stars. Sounds like Coastal did the right thing and this wont impact their season.