View Full Version : Gustav and FCS Football

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
If Gustav were scheduled to hit Louisiana and/or Mississippi sometime on Sunday, we could see these three games around the FCS world impacted...and I'm just throwing this out there, as it's too early to tell.

Appalachian St at L-S-U, 5:00 PM
SE Louisiana at Alcorn State, 6:00 PM
Southern U at Houston, 7:00 PM

Again, it's too early to tell what Gustav will do, but the cities of Hammond (SLU) and Baton Rouge (SU, LSU) are along the routes to evacuate to New Orleans to the north and west, respectively. New Orleans has a mandatory evacuation for category two.

The Nicholls State head coach mentioned the storm on his teleconference with the SLC media today saying that he and his staff are monitoring it for possible disruptions over the weekend, early next week.

Retro
August 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Gustav is no threat to this weekend's games.. Not expected to be in the gulf till sunday.. Next week is a different story though..

This one does scare me a little as there are no weather patterns to push it away from entering the middle of the gulf and then anywhere else.xeekx

Lionsrking
August 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM
If Gustav were scheduled to hit Louisiana and/or Mississippi sometime on Sunday, we could see these three games around the FCS world impacted...and I'm just throwing this out there, as it's too early to tell.

Again, it's too early to tell what Gustav will do, but the cities of Hammond (SLU) and Baton Rouge (SU, LSU) are along the routes to evacuate to New Orleans to the north and west, respectively. New Orleans has a mandatory evacuation for category two.

The Nicholls State head coach mentioned the storm on his teleconference with the SLC media today saying that he and his staff are monitoring it for possible disruptions over the weekend, early next week.

It's still too early to tell where it's ultimately headed, but from what I've seen, its forecasted to be in the middle of the GOMEX by early am on Sunday and make landfall either Monday or Tuesday, depending on where it goes...we could still get a 5 pm game in on Saturday, however, evacuations could easily start as early as Friday afternoon and into Saturday...if contra-flow is set up, we would have a hard time getting back...it's definitely an issue for sure.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
It's still too early to tell where it's ultimately headed, but from what I've seen, its forecasted to be in the middle of the GOMEX by early am on Sunday and make landfall either Monday or Tuesday, depending on where it goes...we could still get a 5 pm game in on Saturday, however, evacuations could easily start as early as Friday afternoon and into Saturday...if contra-flow is set up, we would have a hard time getting back...it's definitely an issue for sure.

That's the issue for Hammond and Baton Rouge -- contraflow. That's why it impacts the games on Saturday. If hurricane conditions start to hit NOLA area on Sunday...contraflow will impact the games.

We'll know more Wednesday PM, if not Thursday AM -- I reckon.

g-webb1994
August 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
No threat for the weekend, but the steering current in the Gulf are so weak, Gustav may all but stall for a bit and strengthen, a scary prospect for anyone living on the Gulf Coast.

Here is an interesting website from the Fox affiliate in Tampa, WTVT:

www.myfoxhurricane.com

Loads of good info., including models, water temps, etc.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Here's the Contraflow map for SE Louisiana for those wondering how this impacts Hammond and Baton Rouge...

http://www.dotd.state.la.us/maps/Web_ContraFlow2.jpg

McNeese75
August 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
xsmhx I am supposed to fly out of New Orleans to Raleigh on Thursday and return Sunday early afternoon. May have to think about this one.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 10:28 PM
xsmhx I am supposed to fly out of New Orleans to Raleigh on Thursday and return Sunday early afternoon. May have to think about this one.

My boss left NOLA today for Canada (family wedding). Returns next Monday, if I am not mistaken. It's going to be tough for them to get back in, I'd figure since all the planes are going to be a mess if that thing is anywhere near this region...

Looks as if the storm in it's little update since earlier, is going a bit more west of New Orleans that it looked at first...though again, still too early. Better idea on Wednesday AM...

McNeese75
August 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
My boss left NOLA today for Canada (family wedding). Returns next Monday, if I am not mistaken. It's going to be tough for them to get back in, I'd figure since all the planes are going to be a mess if that thing is anywhere near this region...

Looks as if the storm in it's little update since earlier, is going a bit more west of New Orleans that it looked at first...though again, still too early. Better idea on Wednesday AM...

West of N.O. does not do me any good xlolx

T-Dog
August 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
For all of us flying in and out of NOLA this weekend (myself included), I pray that we, as well as everyone in the city, makes it to safety if the worst is to happen. I'll make the final call on my trip Thursday night because I want to be absolute certain. Right now, I'm going, but I don't like the looks of this one.

GeauxLions94
August 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Two words ... extended vacation.

Hope this sucker doesn't come near us (sorry for all those in Texas, Alabama and Florida). We don't need another Katrita in Cajunland. xnonox

GeauxLions94
August 27th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Does your boss even venture into the office anymore xconfusedx Has he taken you golfing out in Luling/Destrehan yet?

If only Nash Roberts were here (used to be on WWL) ... he's tell us where's it's going and wouldn't need any fancy-schmancy things the folks on air have now.

Would love to see Gustav go over Cuba (might happen and gets it roughed up from terrain); heads into the Gulf (will happen) and goes west where it makes landfall south of Brownsville (don't think so, but EAST of NO would be nice ... sorry Fla Panhandle).

Lionsrking
August 27th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Does your boss even venture into the office anymore xconfusedx Has he taken you golfing out in Luling/Destrehan yet?

If only Nash Roberts were here (used to be on WWL) ... he's tell us where's it's going and wouldn't need any fancy-schmancy things the folks on air have now.

Nash was the greatest!!! I remember vividly...bald head...crusty N'awlins accent...with his dry erase board...big ole black magic marker...drawing Highs and Lows...giving the latest buoy readings...plotting the course the ole fashioned way...and he was right more than the airbrushed weather readers we have today...he's sorely missed, but we still have Bob Breck!!!

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I dont think the games this weekend will be directly impacted... i.e. rain/wind during game... but if evacuation efforts are in effect for new orleans when the game is scheduled to take place that could be a problem...

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I dont think the games this weekend will be directly impacted... i.e. rain/wind during game... but if evacuation efforts are in effect for new orleans when the game is scheduled to take place that could be a problem...

Evacuation efforts are the issue. I believe the PMAC (the basketball arena) on the LSU campus is a Red Cross facility which means it gets activated in the case of need as a staging facility, shelter or something along those lines.

He comes around more occasionally than it seems. ;)

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evacuation efforts are the issue. I believe the PMAC (the basketball arena) on the LSU campus is a Red Cross facility which means it gets activated in the case of need as a staging facility, shelter or something along those lines.

He comes around more occasionally than it seems. ;)

I am constantly looking over my shoulder at work too...

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 08:08 AM
According to NOLA.com...they are basing land fall on Sunday at 4 p.m...the below regarding evacuations would directly impact football in the three aforementioned games...

Residents evacuating on their own would be asked to wait until mid-morning on Saturday, after the departure of residents from coastal areas, he said.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 27th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Here is the link to the National Hurricane Center on Gustav
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/083515.shtml?5day?large#contents

The 11am (Wed) update moved the 5-day path 500 miles closer (faster) to the US with NO taking a direct shot.

The current projection would have landfall Monday evening as a Cat3.

Ronbo
August 27th, 2008, 11:08 AM
They are saying this morning it could go catagory 3 and if it hits New Orleans it could be Katrina all over again. They need to abandon that land.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM
It looks as if it's gone east a bit...keep heading east, keep heading east! :)

When's the next projection scheduled for?

Lionsrking
August 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM
They are saying this morning it could go catagory 3 and if it hits New Orleans it could be Katrina all over again. They need to abandon that land.

Yeah, we'll move the entire gulf coast to Montana...I'm sure the good folks there would love that.

CSUBUCDAD
August 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
They just announced they are beginning to evacuate the oil platforms in the gulf. Good to see some early action to keep folks safe is happening.

McNeese75
August 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Sliding east

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/nhcData/AL0708W5.gif

Ronbo
August 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah, we'll move the entire gulf coast to Montana...I'm sure the good folks there would love that.

Isn't the Ocean reclaiming the New Orleans Coast? The City has about 90 years and it will be surrounded by ocean. A 20 foot deep hole in the Gulf of Mexico with a city down in it. Picture a hole in the ocean, like a cup in the green. You sail up to it, dock your boat, step onto the sea wall and look down into the hole and there's New Orleans. What a way to live.

Move the city inland before it's too late.

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
It looks as if it's gone east a bit...keep heading east, keep heading east! :)

When's the next projection scheduled for?

the national weather service does it every three hours... 2am, 5am, 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, 11pm... dont ask why it is those hours but it is what it is...

MaximumBobcat
August 27th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Breaking news on the Hurricane!!!!!

Looks like we can finally thank the big hunk of dirt underneath Texas for something.

Hurricane Slowed by Large Land Mass (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/hurricane_bound_for_texas_slowed)

Retro
August 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM

For the record, Katrina didn't hit new orleans, it hit Waveland, Mississippi, which i have been through several times since the storm.. New orleans did get some minor wind damage, but was on the west side of the storm and it flooded only after the heavy rains leading into the mississippi caused a breach in the levee's along with a loose barge that also compromised the levee. Had the levee's never failed, people would have basically ignored Katrina as they did with mississippi's suffering and as they mostly did when Rita hit Lake Charles one month later...

Retro
August 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Isn't the Ocean reclaiming the New Orleans Coast? The City has about 90 years and it will be surrounded by ocean. A 20 foot deep hole in the Gulf of Mexico with a city down in it. Picture a hole in the ocean, like a cup in the green. You sail up to it, dock your boat, step onto the sea wall and look down into the hole and there's New Orleans. What a way to live.

You can't move a city, you can only rebuild it or start a new one.. New Orleans is surrounded by lakes, rivers, bayous and marsh.. Further inland it's more swampy and cities where able..

The problem with New Olreans is mainly the Lower 9th Ward. It is the main area that sits below sea level in a bowl..

If anything, they should probably turn that area into a big giant park with structures easily repaired or that have 20 foot elevations.

McNeeserocket
August 27th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If the Gustav is projected to make land fall along or near the Louisiana Gulf sometime on Sunday (early or late) many McNeese fans could be stranded in North Carolina or somewhere in between. At least 500 or more McNeese fans are making the trip to North Carolina for our game (have heard as many as 1000). Most of us have plans to fly back Sunday or Monday. However this hurricane may strand most of us.

None of us want anyone to get hit by the hurricane, but Southwest LA (home to McNeese) certainly can not sustain another major hurricane so soon after Hurricane Rita in Sept. of 2005. I work at McNeese, and we are just beginning to get the campus back to normal. McNeese sustained 30 million dollars in building damage from Hurricane Rita. I just got moved back into my building this past January. There are still repairs and renovations being done all across campus as a result of Hurricane Rita damage.

Praying for it not to come here, means it would have to go somewhere else and I don't wish it on anyone. Pray for it to die out over the Gulf (won't happen, but pray anyway).

McTailGator
August 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM

He will not enter the Gulf until Monday night or Tuesday.

It would be Thursday before it hit anything.

But as a Cat-3, 4, or 5, it would effect the ability of some schools to host a game in week 2.

If the thing has to hit Louisiana, let's hope it hits dead center of the coast below Lafayette and Baton Rouge. It is the least populated part of the coast line and damage would be minimal.

McTailGator
August 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Got a truck big enough to tow it to Missoula? xsmiley_wix

McNeese72
August 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
They just announced they are beginning to evacuate the oil platforms in the gulf. Good to see some early action to keep folks safe is happening.

Standard. Happens just about everytime a storm is about to enter the Gulf.

Doc

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
should be a dousy of a storm but it should hit mid week... about halfway between week one and week two

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Gov Jindal...time and date of landfall is impacting things and that contraflow will dictate whether or not App St-LSU occurs...

30 hours before landfall (plus or minus some based on conditions)..."as we get better time estimate on landfall, on contraflow...we'll take a look at that"

GeauxLions94
August 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Gov Jindal...time and date of landfall is impacting things and that contraflow will dictate whether or not App St-LSU occurs...

30 hours before landfall (plus or minus some based on conditions)..."as we get better time estimate on landfall, on contraflow...we'll take a look at that"

Jindal xbowx xbowx xbowx has called a State of Emergency in Louisiana and has ordered buses and the National Guard.

Saw this Link (http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200807_climo.html#a_topad)and thought it was interesting. Check out the picture where it shows where all hurricanes and tropical storms that have tracked at least 400 miles from Gustav have ended up.

Louisiana State of Emergency (http://wrno.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=&article=4159666)

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Jindal is on top of his game...he's doing a very good job and has laid out the "gameplan" of how things will unfold over the next few days and what has already happened...

Very impressive...TT is scheduled for a Friday AM departure if this storm continues on it's current path of destruction towards Louisiana...

GeauxLions94
August 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Jindal is on top of his game...he's doing a very good job and has laid out the "gameplan" of how things will unfold over the next few days and what has already happened...

Very impressive...TT is scheduled for a Friday AM departure if this storm continues on it's current path of destruction towards Louisiana...

Travel safe.

I'm staying behind because of work (actually going to Lorman for game on Saturday), but wife, son, in-laws, sister-in-law and kids are going to either Birmingham or Orlando (this morning it was Gatlinburg, but looks like kids might be hanging out with the Mouse).

catamount man
August 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Great. Hello $4.00 gas again.

Hopefully, this storm will die down or move over into Mexico. Sorry spaniards.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Travel safe.

I'm really hoping it does not come down to that. My Bear(kat) would not appreciate the long drive, he'll be moaning in his carrier the whole way...xnonono2x