View Full Version : OVC vs FBS

hawkeye
August 26th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Week one Match ups:

Eastern Kentucky v Cincinnati
UT Martin V South Florida
Jacksonville State V Georgia Tech
Eastern Illinois V Central Michigan

How much money will your team make opening weekend? Anyone think they have chance to win AND take the money? xrolleyesx

appfan2008
August 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
id say there is a shot for eiu, eku, and jsu... not likely for any of them but there is a chance...

ekufbfan
August 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Week one Match ups:

How much money will your team make opening weekend? Anyone think they have chance to win AND take the money? xrolleyesx

UT Martin? Don't see it happening
EIU? No idea if they have a chance, but perhaps the the best out of all of us, know nothing about CM.
JSU? With the former LSU QB now at JSU, stranger things have happened. Still, I would put my money on GT. Am curious to see how the QB performs and if he has receivers who can catch what he puts in the air.
EKU? Inexperience/youth on the offensive line could be a problem for returning All-OVC QB Al Holland. Got a lot faith in him, but he's got to have protection against the Cincy defense. EKU's defense is suppose to be looking good and what new coach Dean Hood was known for at Wake Forrest. Can't wait to see how we perform. Although I would LOVE a win, don't think it will happen against a good UC team. Hopefully, we will eat/drink some fine tailgate fare, will play well , keep everyone healthy, earn some respect and win the rest! GO EKU!

Gamecocks99
August 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
UT Martin? Don't see it happening
EIU? No idea if they have a chance, but perhaps the the best out of all of us, know nothing about CM.
JSU? With the former LSU QB now at JSU, stranger things have happened. Still, I would put my money on GT. Am curious to see how the QB performs and if he has receivers who can catch what he puts in the air.
EKU? Inexperience/youth on the offensive line could be a problem for returning All-OVC QB Al Holland. Got a lot faith in him, but he's got to have protection against the Cincy defense. EKU's defense is suppose to be looking good and what new coach Dean Hood was known for at Wake Forrest. Can't wait to see how we perform. Although I would LOVE a win, don't think it will happen against a good UC team. Hopefully, we will eat/drink some fine tailgate fare, will play well , keep everyone healthy, earn some respect and win the rest! GO EKU!

This is the Line at 5Dimes.Com

JAX STATE was +28 a couple of days ago Now the Line is JAX STATE +29
Can JSU cover up the Line like Litter? I think they can

Eastern Illinois at Central Michigan
8/28/2008
6:00 PM (EST) 1103 Eastern Illinois +22½ -1151.870
1104 Central Michigan -22½ -1151.870

Jacksonville State at Georgia Tech
8/28/2008
7:30 PM (EST) 1109 Jacksonville State +29 -1151.870
1110 Georgia Tech -29 -1151.870

Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnati
8/28/2008
7:30 PM (EST) 1111 Eastern Kentucky +31½ -1151.870
1112 Cincinnati -31½ -1151.870

Tennessee-Martin at South Florida
8/30/2008
12:00 PM (EST) 1203 Tennessee-Martin +39½ -1151.870
1204 South Florida -39½ -1151.870

PantherRob82
August 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
does the OVC have any FBS wins in the past?

EKU05
August 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Sure, they definitely exist. The OVC was, at one time a much better league. EKU destroyed Louisville in the mid 80s.

Cocky
August 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
JSU beat La Lafayette in 2000

ekufbfan
August 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM
1979 EKU 17 Kent (State) 14
1981 EKU 23 Boise State 17 (IAA Playoffs) *Just had to throw that one in
1985 EKU 45 U of Louisville 21

Then there are numerous EKU WINS over then IAA opponents Central Florida, Marshall, Akron, MTSU, Florida Atlantic, Troy State, NE Louisiana (what do they call themelves now?) and of course the hated hilltoppers of wku.

Also wins over App State, Delaware, Furman, Youngstown State, Idaho, Idaho State, UT Chatty, U Mass, Ga Southern, Lehigh...............To see what we once did.............. makes one xbawlingx

Let's step it up and return to what we once were, one of the best if not THE best in IAA/FCS.

GO EKU!

PantherRob82
August 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
1979 EKU 17 Kent (State) 14
1981 EKU 23 Boise State 17 (IAA Playoffs) *Just had to throw that one in
1985 EKU 45 U of Louisville 21

Then there are numerous EKU WINS over then IAA opponents Central Florida, Marshall, Akron, MTSU, Florida Atlantic, Troy State, NE Louisiana (what do they call themelves now?) and of course the hated hilltoppers of wku.

Also wins over App State, Delware, Furman, Youngstown State, Idaho, Idaho State, UT Chatty, U Mass, Ga Southern, Lehigh...............To see what we once did.............. makes one xbawlingx

Let's step it up and return to what we once were, one of the best if not THE best in IAA/FCS.

GO EKU!

So only one I-AA over I-A?

ekufbfan
August 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Kent State is in the MAC and is and was IA at the time we beat them. I just looked back to 1979, did not look at years previous to 1979.

Coulda, should, woulda...beat Vanderbilt in 2004. Vandy 19-EKU 7. One TD called back. Several longgggggggg drives stalled because of typical calls a visiting IAA team gets flagged for against a IA home team. But this is the killer. Vandy had zero, zilch, none, nada a penalty called against them. NO YARDS penalized. I have been attending and watching college football for 35 plus years and never have a seen one team play a "perfect game"...but according to the refs Vandy did that day. We stayed in the same hotel as the refs and the joke was that someone must have sewn the flags in their pockets when it came to flagging Vandy that day. Coulda, shoulda, woulda......

ekufbfan
August 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda...beat Vandy in 2004. Score: Vanderbilt 19- EKU 7. One TD called back, no one could believe it, including Vandy fans. Several long drives stalled because of typical calls against the visiting IAA team, EKU. Then this: I have attended college games for over 35 years and have never seen this happen before the EKU-Vandy game or since, for that matter, Vandy had zero, zilch, none, nada a penalty. We stayed in the same hotel as the refs and the joke with that the refs had their flags sewn in their pockets (when it came to flagging Vandy). Coulda, shoulda, woulda........

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Think EIU has a good shot at CMU. Bison (NDSU) went in their last yr and totally annhilated them 44-14. If EIU can run the ball effectively than they have a good shot. MAC teams not much better than good FCS teams.

Good luck to all OVC schools against IAs....I'll always root for 1AA over a
1A.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Gino
August 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM
EIU last beat a 1a team in 2004- Eastern Michigan.

Killtoppers90
August 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Week one Match ups:

NO! Not really!

hawkeye
August 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
NO! Not really!

After your 49-3 drumming from the gators last year. I can see why you would say this. :D

EKU05
August 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Kent State is in the MAC and is and was IA at the time we beat them. I just looked back to 1979, did not look at years previous to 1979.

Coulda, should, woulda...beat Vanderbilt in 2004. Vandy 19-EKU 7. One TD called back. Several longgggggggg drives stalled because of typical calls a visiting IAA team gets flagged for against a IA home team. But this is the killer. Vandy had zero, zilch, none, nada a penalty called against them. NO YARDS penalized. I have been attending and watching college football for 35 plus years and never have a seen one team play a "perfect game"...but according to the refs Vandy did that day. We stayed in the same hotel as the refs and the joke was that someone must have sewn the flags in their pockets when it came to flagging Vandy that day. Coulda, shoulda, woulda......

I can't second that post enough. I was in the front row. It wasn't that we outplayed Vandy. It's that we statisically blew them out and just couldn't capitalize.

One other thing about that one was that they literally took an EKU TD off the board. It was caught by TE Patrick Bugg, and he rolled over still with the ball. About 2 seconds after the play should have been theoretically dead a Vandy player hit him and jarred the ball loose. Replay clearly shows it was a TD...which is how it was initially ruled. But they ultimately took the points off the board.

ekufbfan
August 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I can't second that post enough. I was in the front row. It wasn't that we outplayed Vandy. It's that we statisically blew them out and just couldn't capitalize.

One other thing about that one was that they literally took an EKU TD off the board. It was caught by TE Patrick Bugg, and he rolled over still with the ball. About 2 seconds after the play should have been theoretically dead a Vandy player hit him and jarred the ball loose. Replay clearly shows it was a TD...which is how it was initially ruled. But they ultimately took the points off the board.

Just read in the Richmond Register the game day article on EKU-Cincy. Hood showed the Michigan-App State game to the Colonels last night. He said not just a 30 sec highlight, but how the game played out. How many penalties were called agaisnt ASU, how many big plays UM had, how many times ASU was knocked down and got up again.....Here is the link:

http://www.richmondregister.com/localsports/local_story_241011653.html?keyword=topstory