PDA

View Full Version : JMU @ Duke

Block-A
August 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
From ESPN, "Worldwide Leader in Sports:"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3552143

Here's a look at the 10 easiest schedules among college football teams in 2008:

9. Duke Blue Devils

Easiest game: vs. James Madison, Aug. 30

Please, please, please, JMU!

Hang a big one on the Dookies!

ASUMountaineer
August 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Absolutely, it would make my day. I would love to see it.

EmeryZach
August 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM
JMU will smoke them. No question about it.

catamount man
August 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
JMU will smoke them. No question about it.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

While JMU can win this game, I don't know if "smoke them" would be how I would put it. Remember, Richmond only beat Duke 13-0 a couple of years ago. Big win for a FCS yes, but 13-0 isn't exactly stomping them.

While I will be rooting for JMU, I don't see Cutcliffe losing this game. Just my unpopular opinion.

ericsaid
August 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I agree with the Catamount.

catamount man
August 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I agree with the Catamount.

And I as stated, I hope you guys prove me wrong. Wouldn't hurt me one bit. David Cutcliffe is not Ted Roof though, unfortunately for you guys. Best of luck! xthumbsupx

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM
And I as stated, I hope you guys prove me wrong. Wouldn't hurt me one bit. David Cutcliffe is not Ted Roof though, unfortunately for you guys. Best of luck! xthumbsupx

And best believe his players are fired up. Look at my thread last week. Although FCS wins over FBS are certainly possible and probably becoming more and more common, on this one, I'm not so sure.

X-Factor
August 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Would the predictions be any different if Appalachian State was playing Duke and James Madison was playing LSU?

Point being, right now I can't see the teams being all that far apart talent wise. (ASU and JMU)

BeauFoster
August 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I think JMU can beat Duke, it will all depend on the breaks and how Mickey calls the game. If he calls it to win, then JMU certainly can pull it out. I've seeen FCS-FBS games (ASU v. NCSU, 2006) where it looked like the coaching staff was looking to not lose, rather than win.

That said, I don't think Duke will be the normal old bad Duke this season. They won't be good, mind you, but they won't be one of the 5 worst in FBS. The Duke QB can play and Cutcliffe will have some form of offense. JMU will have a bit of an edge over ACC opponents here because they have seen the offense (in a way) before. Duke should have won a few games last season, but they tinkled them away.

All in all, it will be a good game. I wouldn't put a line on it.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Cutcliffe & Company has whipped those Dookies into shape. JMU had best bring their 'A' game ...

Mouse
August 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Would the predictions be any different if Appalachian State was playing Duke and James Madison was playing LSU?

Point being, right now I can't see the teams being all that far apart talent wise. (ASU and JMU)

North Carolina 31 JMU 14
ASU 34 Michigan 32

ASU 28 JMU 27

Michigan is levels ahead of UNC

it doesn't work that way

ericsaid
August 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM

FYI, my pictures of App forcing the JMU fumble, but I would also like to send my luck to JMU(considering it isn't particularly goodxrulesx xrulesx )xpeacex

BDKJMU
August 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
North Carolina 31 JMU 14
ASU 34 Michigan 32

ASU 28 JMU 27

Michigan is levels ahead of UNC

it doesn't work that way

Actually, it was UNC 37, JMU 14

AppStsGr8
August 26th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Anytime anybody plays against Duke in any sport, I'm pulling for Anybody. Don't like Duke; never liked Duke. Go JMU!

appfan2008
August 26th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I agree with catamount man and several others... duke is going to be ready to play... while possible i really dont think that it is even probable that jmu will win

mcveyrl
August 26th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I agree with catamount man and several others... duke is going to be ready to play... while possible i really dont think that it is even probable that jmu will win

I think the odds definitely favor Duke in this one. Realistically, I would put the odds of a JMU win at between 35-40%. There's a lot of "intangibles" going Duke's way. But, if those going sour (player's overhyped, coaches not reacting well to players in game situations, etc.) we've got a great chance.

appfan2008
August 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I think the odds definitely favor Duke in this one. Realistically, I would put the odds of a JMU win at between 35-40%. There's a lot of "intangibles" going Duke's way. But, if those going sour (player's overhyped, coaches not reacting well to players in game situations, etc.) we've got a great chance.

I agree... I would have put it around 33% but we are thinking the same...

mcveyrl
August 26th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I agree... I would have put it around 33% but we are thinking the same...

That's the xdohx in me coming out. :D

henfan
August 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
HAMMER DUKE! xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
August 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I'll believe Duke is ready to play when I see it. They have been useless as a football team for so long, I don't have much faith a new coach can change that.

CamelCityAppFan
August 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'll say the same thing about this game that I've been saying about the ASU-LSU game:

JMU can beat Duke, but it doesn't mean they will beat Duke.

In any FCS-BCS matchup, I always pull for the FCS team (even when said FCS team happens to be the GaSo Eagles). But JMU will have to catch a couple of breaks to beat the Devils, who will be vastly improved over previous years (I know, I know, that's a pretty low bar). I expect the Dookies to win a couple of games this year because they catch the other side napping.

SoCon48
August 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM

If you don't do well vs Duke, the Apps sure won't be a fun experience.xrulesx

BeauFoster
August 26th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I forgot to add that the ACC refs will be out in full incompetent force for this game. Watch for phantom holds, blatant no-calls, and general buffoonery.

mcveyrl
August 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Not necessarily.

We didn't do well against UNC (which I'm sure you would've thought the same about last year), but had a fun experience AT App. for 59:30...xrulesx xrulesx

th0m
August 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM

You don't know how you stack up against us or Duke anymore than we do.

DB_Atlantic10
August 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I forgot to add that the ACC refs will be out in full incompetent force for this game. Watch for phantom holds, blatant no-calls, and general buffoonery. I agree, this is one of the two things I fear with this game:

1. The ACC refs will not let a FCS team run away from an ACC team, it goes against their perceived power as a FB Conference and losing to FCS teams does not help.

2. How will MM actually coach this game? He is not particularly fund of playing FBS teams and usually this transcends to the players (UNC).

ngineer
August 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Heck, I'm taking JMU straight up. xnodx

g-webb1994
August 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Go JMU! However, looking at Dook's schedule, they could possibly start 4-0?

Also will be interesting to see how Jax State at the North Avenue Trade School Thursday night as well.

AppStateold299
August 26th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I wish JMU all the best. I hope you actually do beat Duke. I can't wait for the ASU vs. JMU matchup

IaaScribe
August 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
What's the gripe about in the ESPN article?

If you rank the four Duke non-conference opponents, it's correct. JMU is not going to be perceived to be better than Northwestern, Navy or Vanderbilt.

Not saying JMU can't win. Just saying that there should be no gripe with the linked story.

alexale23
August 27th, 2008, 02:27 AM
That's the xdohx in me coming out. :D

Congrats....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Wall_Closet.jpg/418px-Wall_Closet.jpg

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Go JMU! However, looking at Dook's schedule, they could possibly start 4-0?

Also will be interesting to see how Jax State at the North Avenue Trade School Thursday night as well.

I agree all 4 games are at home and all winnable...

mcveyrl
August 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM
What's the gripe about in the ESPN article?

If you rank the four Duke non-conference opponents, it's correct. JMU is not going to be perceived to be better than Northwestern, Navy or Vanderbilt.

Not saying JMU can't win. Just saying that there should be no gripe with the linked story.

I agree. We're the easiest game because we're the I-AA team, but we're not the only thing that gives Duke an easy schedule.

appfan2008
August 27th, 2008, 07:55 AM
no navy, northwestern and vandy with jmu sure dont add up to a typical bcs conference ooc...

elcid96
August 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM

The predictions would definitely be different, not based on talent level, but based on past performance against FBS teams. Notice that LSU is not mentioned in the article as having an easy game against App.

appmaj
August 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
JMU wins by 3 TD's