PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra at UConn article

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
UNH_Alum_inCT was nice enough to pass a long an article on the upcoming game. It would be nice to get a win up their but i'm not getting my hopes up.

The Huskies bring back more experience and a little more bulge around the belt on both sides of the ball. I'd love to be competitive and make them work for a W, stay healthy, then get ready for Albany.

We will have a lot of new faces that are going to have to step up for this one.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/football/hc-ucfoot0825.artaug25,0,1030467.story

KAUMASS
August 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Here's Uconn's starting two deep for Hofstra. 3 of their starting lineman are 6'6 300 lbs. The other two starting offensive lineman are 6'2 and 6'3, both around 280 pounds. The latter 2 are a little smaller than usual for UConn. However, I'm sure their good players, as they wouldn't be starting if they weren't good.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/MFootball/2009/depthchart.html.

UConn also has their game notes up on the same site. It is noted on the first page the last time UConn played Hofstra in 1999, UConn got smoked.xlolx

I'd love to see Hofstra pull the upset. If any of you are going to the game, bring ear plugs as the PA system is the loudest I have ever heard. I went to the Maine/UConn game last year. I had to yell to talk to my father next to me. They play crapp wrap music all during warmups. Every time UConn gets a first down, they announce its another Uconn first down. Annoying and loud. The crowd is not that loud. Nice layout to watch a game.

Maine played UConn tough last year in the first half. Maine's first offensive play from scrimmage was intercepted and run back for a touchdown. I believe it was 10-0 at the half. If Maine had an offense and kept their defense off the field last year, the score would have been alot closer, as UConn took over control of the game midway through the third quarter with their depth.

I see this game with Hofstra having an outside shot at the w. The first half will be a great game. On paper, UConn should pull away late in the third and win by 17. However, it is the first game of the year, both teams have some younger guys starting. I did look at Hofstra's depth chart for this game, they have a lot of FBS transfers playing. Savage is a player, and if he is on, Hofstra is going to be a pesky opponent for UConn.

Good luck Hofstra!!

I would go to this game to give Hofstra some CAA support, but I had a headache for two days after the Maine game from the PA system. I didn't even have anything to drink either!! I'll be watching on SNY.

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I went their to see UConn play Buffalo with my buddy and i remember the PA just being ridiculously loud.

As for the game, I like Savage but like i said, our young guys are going to have to step up and make plays. We can't afford mistakes and missed opportunities. With a first time started at RB, that's going to also be a huge question mark.

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Another good article, this one puts us in the Patriot League while also indicating that we return Kareem Huggins who graduated in May. Nothing like doing your homework. Should i put a lot of stock in the 42-14 prediction of a UConn win?

KAUMASS
August 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
You never know with new faces for either team. The last time I played against UConn, it was 1989. They had just lost their #1 and #2 running backs for the season. We figured we would be in good shape with an advantage knowing we just had to stop Matt DeGannaro at QB. Thier #3 running back was a kid by the name of Kevin Wesley. He ran for close to 200 yards on that day with 4.3 speed. The kid came out of nowhere. We did not get the "W" for UM that day, I'm sorry to say.

Lorenzen is UConn's QB, a transfer via a JC to UConn and a transfer to the JC via Wisconsin or Iowa or one of those schools. He is a big lefty, and can run when he needs to. He should be on a roster next year for a NFL team somewhere.

Again, good luck to Hofstra.

Seawolf97
August 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
You never know with new faces for either team. The last time I played against UConn, it was 1989. They had just lost their #1 and #2 running backs for the season. We figured we would be in good shape with an advantage knowing we just had to stop Matt DeGannaro at QB. Thier #3 running back was a kid by the name of Kevin Wesley. He ran for close to 200 yards on that day with 4.3 speed. The kid came out of nowhere. We did not get the "W" for UM that day, I'm sorry to say.

Lorenzen is UConn's QB, a transfer via a JC to UConn and a transfer to the JC via Wisconsin or Iowa or one of those schools. He is a big lefty, and can run when he needs to. He should be on a roster next year for a NFL team somewhere.

Again, good luck to Hofstra.

Second that! Like to see the Pride make this respectable -maybe steal a winxthumbsupx