PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the game: Richmond vs. Elon

Phoenix87
August 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
What does everyone think will be the keys to the game for both teams?

Elon:

1. Slow down Richmond's D-Line
2. Spread the ball around to different WRs
3. Stop Richmond's run game

Richmond:

1. Get pressure on Riddle
2. Establish a passing attack to take pressure off the running game
3. Don't turn the ball over (ex. Wofford game last year, Elon kills teams that turns the ball over)

elon77
August 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
To me the key to the game is how well Richmond handles Elon's speed. Elon has great speed at the corners, LB, wide receiver, and their defensive ends are very quick. If richmond can offset their speed, then I think Elon could be in for a little trouble. It will be interesting, I think.xnodx

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
this could become a natural rivalry due to the proximity of the 2 schools

mcveyrl
August 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
The team that scores the most points is going to win this game.

ASUG8
August 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Elon has to establish a solid mix of pass /run and not rely so heavily on Riddle's arm. Armanti ran all over them last year, so unless they've made some changes defensively I'd say establish the run early and let Riddle pick them apart when necessary.

IndianaAppMan
August 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM

You could be a sportscaster. You sound like John Madden! xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

Millwoch
August 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
This is a great matchup. Richmond is huge up front. I think that Elon can reduce some of the pressure with some draw plays. If they can pick up 75 yards rushing(They only rushed for 710 total yards last year) Then it will really open up the pass and the skilled player can take over. Time of possession(TOP) is not that big of a factor, but the Elon will need some depth on the defensive front if Richmond grinds out 10 or more minutes TOP margin.

I am not sure how the home field will treat Elon. The only time I was there I did not think it was that intimidating a place to play. But this game is bigger than that one I attended 2 years ago and the crowd could be close to capacity(at least I would hope).

Red Zone Defense of Elon was atrocious last year. They allowed scores in 93% of tries in the red zone(stopping Furman once and Stoney Brook twice, every other team was 100% in the red zone with 33 out of 40 scores being touchdowns). In other words field position could play a role.

I'll be pulling for The Pheonix, but I think Richmond wins this one. It will be close and a lot of points will be scored. Elon averaged 36 points per game last year but had more than 36 in 7 out of 11 games last year. Richmond averaged 34 points per game. I predict 42-38 Richmond but it could easily go the other way.

mcveyrl
August 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
You could be a sportscaster. You sound like John Madden! xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

Just trying to be accurate...

elon77
August 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Sounds like something Yogi would say.xnodx

gophoenix
August 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
What does everyone think will be the keys to the game for both teams?

Elon:

1. Slow down Richmond's D-Line
2. Spread the ball around to different WRs
3. Stop Richmond's run game

Richmond:

1. Get pressure on Riddle
2. Establish a passing attack to take pressure off the running game
3. Don't turn the ball over (ex. Wofford game last year, Elon kills teams that turns the ball over)

I think the keys are:
Elon:
1) Establish a running game of some sort to take the pressure off Riddle and keep the D honest.
2) The D has got to step up and handle a multi-dimensional offense with multiple threads.
3) Do better with holding the ball out of the red zone.

Richmond:
1) Press Riddle like crazy
2) Cover Hudgins
3) Make Elon rely on the pass, shut that running game down early.

IMHO, we do have a lot of team speed, as elon77 keeps saying. But, I think we are no better at team speed than most top 25 programs right now.

whoanellie
August 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Keys to the Game?
parking lot opens 4 hours before kick-off. no locks the port-e-jon
gates open like an hour before kick-off.... restrooms are unlocked..
Keys??? We don't need keys!!!!!!

WrenFGun
August 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
In my opinion, Richmond is a much, much better team than Elon, but that might be my CAA bias speaking. While I think Elon is a fringe playoff team without a tremendous amount of experience, Richmond is a legitimate national championship contender that is loaded at the skill positions. Believe it or not, Richmond should be much better next season with a defense that has gotten older and bigger and a QB that might be the most underrated in FCS.

I don't know why Eric Ward does not get more hype, but he throws a good ball and he has a wealth of good weapons, let by Vaughn and Kevin Grayson. Ward can beat you with his legs, too. If Elon gets too pass happy, this will be a blowout, IMO. I think the fact that Elon is at home and opening with UR will keep it close, but UR will find a way to win.

Elon is quickly going from one of the most underrated to one of the most overrated teams on this message board, IMO.

ElonPride
August 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Elon is quickly going from one of the most underrated to one of the most overrated teams on this message board, IMO.

How so?

MountainMan
August 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
If Richmond gets the running game going it will be tough for Elon to win this one. Their (Elon) D was terrible last year so they better step up big to give Riddle and Co a chance to score some points.

SoCon48
August 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
With or without a running game, the Arachnids have to get to Riddle. Covering the receivers won't work.

Eight Legger
August 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
The recent posts touched on the one key to this game...our running game. If it works, we win. If it gets stuffed, we lose. It's that simple.

We aren't entirely sure what to expect from our offense since we have a new coach and some things will no doubt be different, but I would expect a pretty competitive game.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
^^^^^^^ What he said...

ElonPride
August 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
With or without a running game, the Arachnids have to get to Riddle. Covering the receivers won't work.

Funny thing is, Riddle finished with NEGATIVE 79 rushing yards on the season, but had 9 rushing TDs xlolx

He did get sacked a lot throughout the year --- 41 times for a total loss of 283 yards xnonono2x

appstate38
August 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Richmond's offense and time of possession. If Richmond can grind out some drives and keep Riddle and company off the field it will neutralize them.

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 25th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Living in Philly makes me more Elon fan than Elon expert. I would urge the offense to avoid stagnant play calling. Keeping the Richmond staff guessing will be the only way to exploit our considerable offensive strength. Ours is a dynamic offense, but I can't believe that the talent level has increased to a point where we can honestly consider ourselves a strong favorite over Richmond. Right now, I would say we win 3 outta 10 against Richmond. I'd say this is a realistic downplay of expectations. Can we win, absolutely, but its not crucial.

I see 6 definate games we'll be favored in (Stoney Brook, Presby, Liberty, WCU, Chatt, and Samford). We take care of business there, and take two from Furman, GSU, Citdel, Wofford and its an 8-4 season. Does 8-4 (5-3 SoCon) put us in the playoffs? We'd have a hell of an argument.

elon77
August 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
In my opinion, Richmond is a much, much better team than Elon, but that might be my CAA bias speaking. While I think Elon is a fringe playoff team without a tremendous amount of experience, Richmond is a legitimate national championship contender that is loaded at the skill positions. Believe it or not, Richmond should be much better next season with a defense that has gotten older and bigger and a QB that might be the most underrated in FCS.

I don't know why Eric Ward does not get more hype, but he throws a good ball and he has a wealth of good weapons, let by Vaughn and Kevin Grayson. Ward can beat you with his legs, too. If Elon gets too pass happy, this will be a blowout, IMO. I think the fact that Elon is at home and opening with UR will keep it close, but UR will find a way to win.

Overrated. You must remember that it hasn't been too many years ago that Elon was in the NAIA. Throw in a couple of bad coaches in between and they have come along way in the last few years. They could be overrated, but they have come along way since those NAIA days. Just being in the top 25 is pretty darn cool for us old Elon folks.:)

ElonPride
August 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Overrated. You must remember that it hasn't been too many years ago that Elon was in the NAIA. Throw in a couple of bad coaches in between and they have come along way in the last few years. They could be overrated, but they have come along way since those NAIA days. Just being in the top 25 is pretty darn cool for us old Elon folks.:)

Were the NAIA national titles in '80 & '81 not cool?

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Were the NAIA national titles in '80 & '81 not cool?

For those of us in the Elon contingent still awaiting birth in '80 and '81, Id say the national titles may have lost their luster.

In all honesty, I was there when they unveiled the national championship banners in Rhodes and given that it was NAIA, over twenty years later, and we had a 3-8 (?) record, it all seemed a little ridiculous. But a national title is a national title, I always admire them in the Rhodes atrium when I pass em.

It's great where the program is, and hopefully it continues to grow by playing the role of the Orkin Man!

2xspyder
August 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
In my humble opinion, defense will determine the game.

I look forward to going to Burlington, however. Elon has a nice campus, and has set aside a party area for the Spider faithful...thanks!
Also, JR Cigars (the world's largest cigar store) is just a stone's throw away...may just have to stock up!

phoenix3
August 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Richmond's offense and time of possession. If Richmond can grind out some drives and keep Riddle and company off the field it will neutralize them.

I've heard a lot of people say this. I don't know that I agree. It really doesn't take Elon a lot of time to score or rack up big passing yardage. We really don't have to control the clock to score with our offense. In fact, I think controlling the clock and grinding out long drives is more of a key to Elon's winning. I think getting in Riddle's face is the key for UR.

At any rate, I think this game remains close regardless of who controls the clock.

gophoenix
August 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I've heard a lot of people say this. I don't know that I agree. It really doesn't take Elon a lot of time to score or rack up big passing yardage. We really don't have to control the clock to score with our offense. In fact, I think controlling the clock and grinding out long drives is more of a key to Elon's winning. I think getting in Riddle's face is the key for UR.

At any rate, I think this game remains close regardless of who controls the clock.

It becomes key because if Richmond grinds out long drives and our offense goes and scores fast, it will flat wear our defense out for the lack of being able to rest.

And to be honest, this is a worry of mine. We still aren't deep. And that's not an excuse; we're still trying to build a program. We just aren't established yet.

phoenix3
August 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
It becomes key because if Richmond grinds out long drives and our offense goes and scores fast, it will flat wear our defense out for the lack of being able to rest.

And to be honest, this is a worry of mine. We still aren't deep. And that's not an excuse; we're still trying to build a program. We just aren't established yet.

Good point.

DTSpider
August 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Armanti ran all over them last year, so unless they've made some changes defensively I'd say establish the run early and let Riddle pick them apart when necessary.

While certainly not an excuse, as every team has injuries, and it would not have changed the outcome IMO, but UR's safeties were decimated by the ASU game. Forced to start a walk-on and the other played with a sprained ankle, no back-ups available without burning a redshirt year.

UR traditionally has been very thin due to the cost of the school. It's definitely getting better as the coaching staff has starting taking advantage of more financial aid situations, but we're still thinner than your top flight teams.

A long rambling way to say that in the first game of the year, UR should be healthier and have a better defense than what took the field against ASU.

I'm just worried about UR scoring points. Having a new offensive coordinator is never easy. There's a lot of reason to be optimistic, but the first game always seems harder on the offense than the defense.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
In my humble opinion, defense will determine the game.

I look forward to going to Burlington, however. Elon has a nice campus, and has set aside a party area for the Spider faithful...thanks!
Also, JR Cigars (the world's largest cigar store) is just a stone's throw away...may just have to stock up!

Where, exacatly, is said party area? Cool!xthumbsupx

ViennaSpider
August 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
If Richmond's defense consistently disrupts Riddle, we win. If it doesn't, we win---but not by as much. P.S. Eric Ward is something special.

phoenix3
August 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
While certainly not an excuse, as every team has injuries, and it would not have changed the outcome IMO, but UR's safeties were decimated by the ASU game. Forced to start a walk-on and the other played with a sprained ankle, no back-ups available without burning a redshirt year.

UR traditionally has been very thin due to the cost of the school. It's definitely getting better as the coaching staff has starting taking advantage of more financial aid situations, but we're still thinner than your top flight teams.

A long rambling way to say that in the first game of the year, UR should be healthier and have a better defense than what took the field against ASU.
I'm just worried about UR scoring points. Having a new offensive coordinator is never easy. There's a lot of reason to be optimistic, but the first game always seems harder on the offense than the defense.

The same could be said (on both counts) of Elon's entire defense.

ElonPride
August 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
The same could be said (on both counts) of Elon's entire defense.

We'll have bascially the same HEALTHY D on the field that held their own versus USF. Only difference is, Elon D is stonger and faster this year!

elon77
August 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
xnodx
We'll have bascially the same HEALTHY D on the field that held their own versus USF. Only difference is, Elon D is stonger and faster this year!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

2xspyder
August 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I am told the Richmond Tailgate area is at "Firehouse Field", which is located somewhere on the Elon campus.

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I am told the Richmond Tailgate area is at "Firehouse Field", which is located somewhere on the Elon campus.

Yep, same place it usually is, planty of space. I'd say its a 15 minute walk to the field, and removed from the main tailgate area. I always felt bad that it was kinda far off, but if there's a big enough contingent, I'm sure you guys will have your fun.

Hey regular Elon game attendees, how was attendance last year?? Did the tailgaters make into most of the games, or did they all rush home to catch the unc/uga/osu game?

ElonPride
August 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Yes, it's actually a really nice place to tailgate. Also, there is a shuttle from the field to the stadium...if you don't feel like walking.

whoanellie
August 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Yep, same place it usually is, planty of space. I'd say its a 15 minute walk to the field, and removed from the main tailgate area. I always felt bad that it was kinda far off, but if there's a big enough contingent, I'm sure you guys will have your fun.

Hey regular Elon game attendees, how was attendance last year?? Did the tailgaters make into most of the games, or did they all rush home to catch the unc/uga/osu game?

i was running late to the Stoneybrook game last fall....parked at firehouse field caught the shuttle (going green bio-diesel ) and was right there at entry gate in a minute... xcoolx

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
i was running late to the Stoneybrook game last fall....parked at firehouse field caught the shuttle (going green bio-diesel ) and was right there at entry gate in a minute... xcoolx

Well touche. xnodx

Nonetheless, I don't know what type of setup other schools provide the visitors, but this one is a good one (even better than Id thought).

elon77
August 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Just listened to the Pete Lembo show on the net and he could not say enough good things about the Spiders. He said that whatever people say that is good about ASU, Richmond is a small step and a real small step below them.
a very very good team is how he described them. It is his opinion that The U of R has as many potential NFL draft picks as any team in FCS. Whow, that's a pretty big statement. I guess gthe Phoenix have there work cut out for them. We think they can pull off the upset.

CID1990
August 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm pulling for the Fighting Christians.

Richmond wins. The difference will be Elon's lack of a run attack and their secondary. The occasional hurry on Riddle will also play a role.

SoCon48
August 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Just listened to the Pete Lembo show on the net and he could not say enough good things about the Spiders. He said that whatever people say that is good about ASU, Richmond is a small step and a real small step below them.
a very very good team is how he described them. It is his opinion that The U of R has as many potential NFL draft picks as any team in FCS. Whow, that's a pretty big statement. I guess gthe Phoenix have there work cut out for them. We think they can pull off the upset.

He said that whatever people say that is good about ASU, Richmond is a small step and a real small step below them

20 steps. (55-35)

Eight Legger
August 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM

We sent three guys from last year's team to the NFL this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if 5 or 6 from this group of players eventually make it to play on Sundays either. This is as loaded a team as we've had maybe ever, so I am just hoping we play to our potential. Should be a good game.

HiHiYikas
August 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
This is an exciting matchup, for sure. I made the drive down from Richmond to Elon last season, and really enjoyed the trip. Elon's campus is very nice (even UR folks ought to think so), and it's been fun to watch that whole Burlington/Alamance area grow up over the past few years.

Tailgating was good, with more than adequate space, and a nice walk through town to campus.

I saw both these teams play against ASU last season, and both put up solid games. In each case, the matchups were much closer than indicated by the final score (cliche but true). A lot of points scored in both games. Makes me think there could be plenty of back-and-forth here, with things coming down to the wire.

This is just too good a matchup for week 1; feels more like a playoff game to me.

Elon Fightin' Christians
August 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=CID1990;1075651]I'm pulling for the Fighting Christians.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

btw- replace the "g" with an apostrophe in "Fightin' Christians".

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
It's Game of the Week in this week's CSN Way:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-appalachian-state-fans-bette&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Game of the Week
#4 Richmond at #15 Elon
floatedleftThere are a lot of interesting matchups with other FBS schools this weekend. There are also a lot of tantalizing looks at potential conference-winning teams this weekend. But this game by far is the best matchup - and the most intriguing....

elon77
August 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
It's Game of the Week in this week's CSN Way:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-appalachian-state-fans-bette&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Whow !xthumbsupx

bostonspider
August 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Be nice if they knew that Coach London came from UVA and was not promoted from within. Sherman Logan and Kevin Grayson will both be playing in this game. Not sure where the author is getting all his "facts".

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Be nice if they knew that Coach London came from UVA and was not promoted from within. Sherman Logan and Kevin Grayson will both be playing in this game. Not sure where the author is getting all his "facts".

Fixed that parts about Grayson and London. I got that Grayson was suspended in February for a fight outside a fraternity, but he was quietly reinstated somewhere in there.

Logan will be playing, but he's recovering from foot surgery in the offseason.

bostonspider
August 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
From everything I have heard, Logan is fully recovered and has been a terror in scrimmages

ElonPride
August 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
From everything I have heard, Logan is fully recovered and has been a terror in scrimmages

I read that you've lost a couple starters on the OL.....any validity to the claim?

bostonspider
August 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I do think that the projected starting center Kondorossy might be out, but is just a rumor for now...

ViennaSpider
August 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, it's actually a really nice place to tailgate. Also, there is a shuttle from the field to the stadium...if you don't feel like walking.

Can you give directions to Firehouse Field? I've looked on the campus map, but can't find it. Thanks.

DTSpider
August 28th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I do think that the projected starting center Kondorossy might be out, but is just a rumor for now...

No need to hide it...just check out the game notes. Kondorossy is not listed.

Only one injury that changed the 2-deep. We did have a starting OL leave the program last spring when he graduated and gave up his last year of eligibility (not uncommon).

Phoenix87
August 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
from what I hear Kondorossy is out for at least the game, maybe more... i can't remember, but did hear something about this a couple weeks ago

ur2k
August 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Can you give directions to Firehouse Field? I've looked on the campus map, but can't find it. Thanks.

Vienna - there's a thread on spiderfans.com with directions.

CID1990
August 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm pulling for the Fighting Christians.

Richmond wins. The difference will be Elon's lack of a run attack and their secondary. The occasional hurry on Riddle will also play a role.

Bump.