PDA

View Full Version : UD's new Stadium

ChickenMan
August 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Not really.. but from yesterday's local paper..

HOK Sports is in the process of helping UD redesign its athletic complex.

But they don't know Delaware -- or more importantly, Blue Hens fans -- like we do. So we've decided to help them out with out plan for a new football stadium.

Our ideas are clever, wacky and just plain fun. To start, our venue needs a great name. So while the official name (for obvious financial reasons) will be Bank of America Field at W.L. Gore/DuPont/AstraZeneca Park, we'll be calling it ...

The Big 'D.'

http://www.delawareonline.com/assets/pdf/BL116343824.PDF

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Good god, I drove through Delaware yesterday on my way back to NY from Virginia, i think the whole state was on I-95 yesterday. I told my wife other than for a football game, that was probably the longest i have ever been in Delaware without stopping. It crawled from Maryland to the bridge.

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Link don't work for me.

Good god, I drove through Delaware yesterday on my way back to NY from Virginia, i think the whole state was on I-95 yesterday. I told my wife other than for a football game, that was probably the longest i have ever been in Delaware without stopping. It crawled from Maryland to the bridge.

Yeah I was in bumper to bumper through the entire state on 95 two Friday ago AT 11 AM heading to Ocean City NJ!

Good thing the state is only 15 miles across! :D

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I guess there is a lot going on in the small wonder state.

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I guess there is a lot going on in the small wonder state.

I doubt it. xlolx

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM

happened everytime for me growing up as we would drive from atlanta to ocean city nj where the grandparents own a house... getting through dc would be the worst stretch followed by trying to get through deleware... and i never understood it... it almost always started and stopped on the state line...

SunCoastBlueHen
August 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Link don't work for me.

This might be tough to read, but here it is...

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
It was unbelievable, it probably took me an hour and half, no lie, to get to the Delaware Memorial Bridge from the Maryland border.

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM
It was unbelievable, it probably took me an hour and half, no lie, to get to the Delaware Memorial Bridge from the Maryland border.

I believe it... it must be a passion for deleware people to get out on the road and slow all of us down who are just trying to pass through

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM

by the way sounds interesting to me... i especially like the 50 people who move back and forth to follow the play that seems pretty sweet to me!

Ivytalk
August 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM

My first reaction was: is that just half of it?:p Would I be looking at a Jumbotron the whole time?

So far as the DE weekend traffic is concerned, it would be a lot better if all the NY and NJ drivers would just stay at home. Aren't their beaches good enough for them?xconfusedx

93henfan
August 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
The Churchman's Marsh area of I-95 in Delaware has been declared a federal chokepoint and the money is pouring in to get it fixed. If you're familiar with the area, there's no surprise why there's congestion. You have several major arteries coming together in basically one spot: I-95, I-295, and I-495 merge 9 lanes of traffic respectively down to three over the course of about a mile southbound. There are several terribly dangerous merges and exits for other heavily travelled roads as well, such as US-13, DE-141, and DE-9. Then two miles later you have DE Route 1, which is the main artery to the beach and also the exit for the Christiana Mall, which is the quickest on/off for out of staters for tax-free shopping. Then throw in two tolls for the Del Turnpike and the Del Mem Bridge and it's a total cluster f. Thank God I live downstate and away from that mess!

It was a big FAIL on the civil engineers or whomver was supposed to project future traffic flow back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. There is already construction to add a lane to I-95 both ways going on right now. There is also supposed to be a complete revamp of the Rt-1 to I-95 onramps coming up. Every weekday AM rush there is a long backup and on beach Sunday afternoons and race weekends in Dover, the backup is five or ten miles.

93henfan
August 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Lol, I finally read the PDF and that's pretty good. The clucking YouDee for a UD score and the egg-laying, eggs-down-the-slide YouDee for the opponent scoring is okay with me.xthumbsupx xlolx

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
My first reaction was: is that just half of it?:p Would I be looking at a Jumbotron the whole time?

So far as the DE weekend traffic is concerned, it would be a lot better if all the NY and NJ drivers would just stay at home. Aren't their beaches good enough for them?xconfusedx

I read in the paper that medical waste washed up in Avalon, NJ again. Yuck!

fie
August 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Does that mean the Fans are willing to settle for half a loaf?

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Beaches, LI beaches are fine by me, i was visiting inlaws.

FCS Preview
August 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
...i was visiting inlaws.

Double torture....bad traffic/visiting the in-laws. xlolx

brownbear
August 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
When I was driving from Providence to Atlanta a couple weeks ago, I didn't have any traffic problems coming down 95 from Philly (I didn't take the NJ turnpike bridge). It was about midnight, so it was a good thing.

We stopped in Newark at the Econo Lodge on Christiana Road that night (right next to the Christiana Skating Rink and Dunkin Donuts). At 6 am, we decided to get back on the road, and figured we'd get some breakfast at the DD, but when I pulled up to the drive-thru, a sign said "Closed Saturday due to the circumstances." We look next door at the skating rink, where about 5 police cars and an ambulance are parked with police tape around the entire parking lot. When I got back to Atlanta that night, I checked online and found that the guy who opens up the DD in the morning was shot and killed while walking on the way to work, right at the skating rink between 4 and 5 am.

Pretty crazy that I was sleeping about 500 feet away.

brownbear
August 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Stadium looks pretty cool. I like the giant hen feature.

89Hen
August 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

I drove from DC to Newark to Wilmington to Bethany on Thursday and that little stretch of 95 that 93 spoke of was the only sticking point for me all day.

BTW, made it from Bethany to Bethesda last night in 2:35. That's almost record time. xthumbsupx

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
My sister in law is from Delaware, wait is your brother in law's wife your sister in law? Anyway, she let me in on a short cut if you are coming through Delaware and you know ahead of time there is I-95 back up you can reroute through Newark pretty easily. Going from MD to NJ get off on Elkton Rd (MD2?) through downtown Newark and get on 273. There are lights and all, but it beats bumper to bumper.

Plus you get to spit out the window towards campus in disgust. :)

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 11:09 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

I drove from DC to Newark to Wilmington to Bethany on Thursday and that little stretch of 95 that 93 spoke of was the only sticking point for me all day.

BTW, made it from Bethany to Bethesda last night in 2:35. That's almost record time. xthumbsupx

Yeah I went from OCNJ to Catonsville in 2:40, including a 20 minute bathroom stop. (friggin girls xnonono2x )

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM
When I was driving from Providence to Atlanta a couple weeks ago, I didn't have any traffic problems coming down 95 from Philly (I didn't take the NJ turnpike bridge). It was about midnight, so it was a good thing.

We stopped in Newark at the Econo Lodge on Christiana Road that night (right next to the Christiana Skating Rink and Dunkin Donuts). At 6 am, we decided to get back on the road, and figured we'd get some breakfast at the DD, but when I pulled up to the drive-thru, a sign said "Closed Saturday due to the circumstances." We look next door at the skating rink, where about 5 police cars and an ambulance are parked with police tape around the entire parking lot. When I got back to Atlanta that night, I checked online and found that the guy who opens up the DD in the morning was shot and killed while walking on the way to work, right at the skating rink between 4 and 5 am.

Pretty crazy that I was sleeping about 500 feet away.

wow that sucks... sad story...

henfan
August 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Guys, you've got to invest in a GPS. There's no reason to sit in traffic for an hour and a half on I-95. There are several major roads that will take you from the MD border to DE Memorial Bridge toll & hassle free.

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM

And my wife thinks i'm crazy whenever i flip off the sign on I-95 that says University of Delaware. xthumbsupx

As for Brownbear, dman, that is scary.

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Double torture....bad traffic/visiting the in-laws. xlolx

Ity was my brother-in-law and sister-in-law that we visited. But in the van were my three kids (3,5 and 7), my wife riding shotgun, and my mother-in-law sitting behind me. For the love of pete, she pulled on the back of the damn seat so many times shifting her @ss around that i was waiting for it to snap. One second i'm looking at the road, the next think i know i'm staring at the damn ceiling. What a friggin' trip!

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
And my wife thinks i'm crazy whenever i flip off the sign on I-95 that says University of Delaware. xthumbsupx

xlolx xlolx
I used to spit out the window passing that sign on 95. Then I got a flat tire once shortly after doing it, so now I get yelled at if I attempt to even roll the window down in that area of delaware.

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM

As for Brownbear, dman, that is scary.

Sitting in a car with Uncle Buck after he has Mexican is much more scarier and closer in proximity to a deadly blast xbawlingx

89Hen
August 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Going from MD to NJ get off on Elkton Rd (MD2?) through downtown Newark and get on 273. There are lights and all, but it beats bumper to bumper.

You also miss a toll. xsmiley_wix Actually there's a slightly faster route than going through "downtown" Newark. From Elkton Road, make a right on 2 and stay on that all the way to 273. This also takes you past the Tub, Bob and Rullo stadium. xthumbsupx

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 12:27 PM
You also miss a toll. xsmiley_wix Actually there's a slightly faster route than going through "downtown" Newark. From Elkton Road, make a right on 2 and stay on that all the way to 273. This also takes you past the Tub, Bob and Rullo stadium. xthumbsupx

Good times, good times....:D

I thought 2 and 273 were the same through Newark. That's the way I go and it's that main street area right? xconfusedx

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
This discussion is reminiscent of the 1992 Saturday Night Live sketch "What's the Best Way" with Adam Sandler.

FCS Preview
August 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Ity was my brother-in-law and sister-in-law that we visited. But in the van were my three kids (3,5 and 7), my wife riding shotgun, and my mother-in-law sitting behind me. For the love of pete, she pulled on the back of the damn seat so many times shifting her @ss around that i was waiting for it to snap. One second i'm looking at the road, the next think i know i'm staring at the damn ceiling. What a friggin' trip!

Only two good places for a mother-in-law on a trip: The front passenger seat (if you have an older car w/o a passenger airbag) or the roof rack. :)

Damn...the baby is 3 years old already? Time flies...

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
This discussion is reminiscent of the 1992 Saturday Night Live sketch "What's the Best Way" with Adam Sandler.

No really we all enjoyed the Mexican food comment. xrolleyesx

brownbear
August 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM

What's up with a $4 toll to use an 11 mile roadway?

It's all about charging out-of-state traffic to fund the rest of the DE roads.

Do people traveling between Newark and Wilmington just drive on local roads?

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
What's up with a $4 toll to use an 11 mile roadway?

It's all about charging out-of-state traffic to fund the rest of the DE roads.

Do people traveling between Newark and Wilmington just drive on local roads?

It's like in Maryland, they doubled the toll and collect only on one side now.

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
No really we all enjoyed the Mexican food comment. xrolleyesx

Haha.

No really though, before we left for NY my wife's cousin from Richmond brought up a smoked pork shoulder from a place called Benny's in Richmond. After knocking down a couple of pulled pork sandwiches topped with slaw and BBQ sauce, it wasn't pretty.

I love the question from out of the backseat, "What's that smell?" "Nothing kids, just Delaware." xsmiley_wix

bluehenbillk
August 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I love the question from out of the backseat, "What's that smell?" "Nothing kids, just Delaware." xsmiley_wix

Haha, this from a guy from Long Island??

It's funny to hear the HU & TU contingents stories about driving by Newark. I guess UD fans feel the same way about 'Nova.

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
UB, in most states that's considered child abuse.

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Haha, this from a guy from Long Island??

It's funny to hear the HU & TU contingents stories about driving by Newark. I guess UD fans feel the same way about 'Nova.

All in good fun BHBK xthumbsupx

brownbear
August 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM
It's like in Maryland, they doubled the toll and collect only on one side now.

Delaware charges both ways. The Susquehanna River bridges are only one way.

andy7171
August 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Delaware charges both ways. The Susquehanna River bridges are only one way.

No they don't. One of the tolls is the Del Mem Br. It costs me $11 to get to NJ and $9 to come back. Oh crap! You might be right! xoopsx

Uncle Buck
August 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
This thread has been officially hijacked and turned into mapquest. Not my intention...but seriously, you have to try the pulled pork. I'm going to try and order one of those bad boys for my Pre-UD game tailgate.

brownbear
August 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM
No they don't. One of the tolls is the Del Mem Br. It costs me $11 to get to NJ and $9 to come back. Oh crap! You might be right! xoopsx

On the Delaware Memorial Bridge, it's only charged going southbound/towards Delaware. The Delaware Turnpike toll on I-95 at the DE/MD border is both ways I believe.

Sorry for the confusion.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM
This thread has been officially hijacked and turned into mapquest. Not my intention...but seriously, you have to try the pulled pork. I'm going to try and order one of those bad boys for my Pre-UD game tailgate.

To further hijack the thread, if you aren't able to get some of that pulled pork up from Richmond, you might have a couple of options. IIRC, there is a concession stand at UD that serves pulled pork sandwiches.

Henfan, do you recall that place I told you about that is near the DE/MD border (intersection of MD SR 277 and 279) on the road to State Line Liquors (Elkton Road in DE, SR 2??) that had BBQ Brisket and Chicken? Durham Best Barbeque Carry Out????? I can't remember if they also had pulled pork. What I had (a couple of years ago) was very good.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM
On the Delaware Memorial Bridge, it's only charged going southbound/towards Delaware. The Delaware Turnpike toll on I-95 at the DE/MD border is both ways I believe.

Sorry for the confusion.

That's my memory as well though I rarely ever go through the DE Turnpike toll booth. And the I-95 MD (JFK) Turnpike toll at the Susquehanna River is northbound only which I think Andy already stated.

Bull Fan
August 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Not exactly fine BBQ, but some yokel in the stands at UD offered me some of his home-made beef jerkey from a ziplock bag. Honest to goodness.

After looking at him and hearing "deuling banjos" in my head, and experiencing a quick visual flash of Billy Bob Thornton in "Slingblade" (...I like them taters...), I politely declined his hospitality.

OhioHen
August 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

All the bridges charge to LEAVE New Jersey (except the two that are free). Who would pay to get in?

RadMann
August 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge toll is not a Delaware state toll. It is a toll charged by the Bay authority that runs the bridge and the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. The toll at the end of the NJ Turnpike is the NJ Turnpike authority's toll. Delaware's only toll is at the DE/MD line on I-95. There is no need to pay that toll by the way, just get off on 273 towards Newark (when travelling south on 95) , get on Route 4, and then over to Elkton-Newark Road towards Elkton to get back on 95 south.

YoUDeeMan
August 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Good times, good times....:D

I thought 2 and 273 were the same through Newark. That's the way I go and it's that main street area right? xconfusedx

Get off on Elkton Road and make a right on Rt 4. No need to go through downtown Newark.