PDA

View Full Version : Carolina's College Poll

AshevilleApp2
August 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Yesterday's Charlotte Observer ran a new poll ranking the top ten college football programs in the two states. The poll is from sports writers from the Charlotte paper and the Raleigh News and Observer.

1. Clemson
2. Wake Forest
3. South Carolina
4. App
5. East Carolina
6. North Carolina
7. N.C. State
8. Duke
9. Elon
10. N.C. Central

Wofford and Furman received votes.

OL FU
August 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Yesterday's Charlotte Observer ran a new poll ranking the top ten college football programs in the two states. The poll is from sports writers from the Charlotte paper and the Raleigh News and Observer.

1. Clemson
2. Wake Forest
3. South Carolina
4. App
5. East Carolina
6. North Carolina
7. N.C. State
8. Duke
9. Elon
10. N.C. Central

No offense to NC Central, but I think that clearly shows the location of most of the pollstersxeyebrowx

Cool that ASU is fourth

AshevilleApp2
August 25th, 2008, 07:18 AM
No offense to NC Central, but I think that clearly shows the location of most of the pollstersxeyebrowx

Cool that ASU is fourth

I agree about the pollsters and actually think App is to high. It did make me more curious about NCCU though. James Madison has them in week 2.

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM
wofford, furman, and the citadel should be ahead of nccentral...

th0m
August 25th, 2008, 07:22 AM
NC Central? For real?

ASU88
August 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Absolutely! That's a joke!

IndianaAppMan
August 25th, 2008, 07:35 AM
NC Central? For real?

This is coming from the media. It's the same media that usually rates every 1AA team behind the worst 1A team.

I guess that Wofford team that beat App State and Montana on the road just couldn't stand up to the credentials of NC Central.

ASUMountaineer
August 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
This is coming from the media. It's the same media that usually rates every 1AA team behind the worst 1A team.

I guess that Wofford team that beat App State and Montana on the road just couldn't stand up to the credentials of NC Central.

Wofford beat Appalachian at Wofford last year.

ASUMountaineer
August 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM
The only reason South Carolina is in there is because of Spurrier, they haven't really won anything in a long time. Haven't even been the relevant all to often in the last decade.

OL FU
August 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The only reason South Carolina is in there is because of Spurrier, they haven't really won anything in a long time. Haven't even been the relevant all to often in the last decade.

AS bad as they are, they are better than UNC and NCstatexnodx

appmaj
August 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM
NC Central? How could they be better than Wofford, Furman, or even Coastal?

OL FU
August 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Duke, how could they be better than Wofford or Furmanxlolx

ASUMountaineer
August 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
AS bad as they are, they are better than UNC and NCstatexnodx

I wouldn't argue that, for that matter Furman is too.

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Id probably take gardner webb and coastal and maybe chuck south as well... maybe presby...

appmaj
August 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Duke, how could they be better than Wofford or Furmanxlolx

Good point...

phoenixphanatic21
August 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM
xeyebrowx
Duke better than Elon? South Carolina better than App? Really? And I didn't even know NC Central had a football team.

elon77
August 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Duke, how did they even get on the page? xeyebrowx

Bud2003
August 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
xeyebrowx
South Carolina better than App? Really?

You are kidding me right? South Carolina drops games in 2007 to LSU, Tenn. (OT in Knoxville) , Florida, Arkansas, Clemson (Last minute go ahead drive by Clemson) and unfortunately Vandy...and now they are a "bad" team? South Carolina had a "dissappointing" 6 win season last year, after starting out 6-1 (which also had to do with a ton of BAD LUCK).

Actually, the fact that you didn't know NC Central had a football team sums up your football knowledge (or lack thereof).

Oh yea, and Elon above the Citadel...that's the only joke on these rankings.

phoenixphanatic21
August 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
You are kidding me right? South Carolina drops games in 2007 to LSU, Tenn. (OT in Knoxville) , Florida, Arkansas, Clemson (Last minute go ahead drive by Clemson) and unfortunately Vandy...and now they are a "bad" team? South Carolina had a "dissappointing" 6 win season last year, after starting out 6-1 (which also had to do with a ton of BAD LUCK).

Actually, the fact that you didn't know NC Central had a football team sums up your football knowledge (or lack thereof).

I'm not saying South Carolina is a bad team. I know they play in the toughest conference in the FBS, but really they haven't done much, if anything, in the past few years. And then there's all the success App has had (that's all I need to say on that). I'm just saying I would put App ahead of USC.

And yes, clearly because I don't know about a CIAA football team, I don't know anything about football. xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASUMountaineer
August 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Calm down Bud, the point of the article, at least as posted, isn't just about last season but over the past few years, possibly the past decade.

Hoseinexile07
August 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I don't care about these rankings, but it is funny that NC Central was featured in this count, as we beat them last season.

AshevilleApp2
August 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Calm down Bud, the point of the article, at least as posted, isn't just about last season but over the past few years, possibly the past decade.

Actually this is a poll for this year. They will be updating it each week.

AshevilleApp2
August 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I don't care about these rankings, but it is funny that NC Central was featured in this count, as we beat them last season.

They imply that NCCU will be improved this year. In particular, they are supposed to have a very good QB named Stadford Brown.

bigchocolate
August 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Do not sleep on the Gamecocks of USC. They were a top 10 team with wins over the University of Georgia on the road and Miss State before their season went south in 2007.xreadx

JMU DUUUKES
August 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Strength of schedule, haha jk (Game @ JMU)

Bud2003
August 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I'm not saying South Carolina is a bad team. I know they play in the toughest conference in the FBS, but really they haven't done much, if anything, in the past few years. And then there's all the success App has had (that's all I need to say on that). I'm just saying I would put App ahead of USC.

And yes, clearly because I don't know about a CIAA football team, I don't know anything about football. xlolx xlolx xlolx

So basically, App. State could leave the SoCon and be more competitive in the SEC that South Carolina right now?

In the past few years, South Carolina has beaten Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and other SEC schools to remain competitive in the conference. However, unfortunately the conference wins have been spread accross a couple of seasons. The team has played in bowls for 2 of the last 3 seasons (even though they didn't make a bowl game last year while being bowl eligible)

Whatever, South Carolina will make an example of NC State on Thursday.

By the way if you are an Elon fan, I would expect you to be in the vicinity of the university so I'm hoping you were being facetious about the whole not knowing about NCCU having a football team

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM

The question is about college football programs. . .no other information is given, as to whether it's about current success, historic success, based on division or whatever.

Despite NCCU having operated in Division II (college division) for a while, they do have football pedigree, having won a conference championship in five different decades. They also have won 56% of their games, bested in North Carolina only by App State, who have won 63% of their games. If any program is up for dispute it's East Carolina with only 5 championships, and USC which has an overall losing record and one measly ACC championship.

I'd say Furman and Winston-Salem have a legitimate gripe. Elon has 18 conference championships and is a legitimate addition. NC State has 11 championships; Duke has 18 championships but a losing record overall; North Carolina 10 championships. Also curiously missing is Catawba and the most egregious error of all is leaving out South Carolina State; who has won 13 championships, two national championships and have won 62% of their games.

phoenixphanatic21
August 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
So basically, App. State could leave the SoCon and be more competitive in the SEC that South Carolina right now?

In the past few years, South Carolina has beaten Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and other SEC schools to remain competitive in the conference. However, unfortunately the conference wins have been spread accross a couple of seasons. The team has played in bowls for 2 of the last 3 seasons (even though they didn't make a bowl game last year while being bowl eligible)

By the way if you are an Elon fan, I would expect you to be in the vicinity of the university so I'm hoping you were being facetious about the whole not knowing about NCCU having a football team

I was being facetious about that actually, as a matter of fact. I'm glad you caught on to that. And again, I'm not saying SC is a bad team. I never at any point in time said they were a bad team. I just feel that the team App has right now could compete with the team SC has. That's it.

And I do hope they destroy NC State Thursday. I actually have some friends who go to SC and I plan on going to that game with them. So you can look for me Thursday night in the student section.

phoenix3
August 25th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Looks more like a popularity contest than a legit poll.

OhioHen
August 25th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Let us not forget South Carolina State!!!

appfan2008
August 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM

well if that is the case... hopefully they can redeem themselves next week

ASUMountaineer
August 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Ok, I haven't read the Observer today. By the way it was posted, it seemed they were ranking them as of now based on history, not as a ranking/ poll kind of the for the season.

ASUMountaineer
August 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM

I hope so, I hate State.

Even though Spurrier is a douche. xnodx

IndianaAppMan
August 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
If any program is up for dispute it's East Carolina with only 5 championships, and USC which has an overall losing record and one measly ACC championship.

ECU was not in a conference for about 20 years, so of course it was hard for them to win a conference in those years. As much as I hate to say this, to ECU's credit, they did beat NC State in Raleigh the same year App lost to them. They've also beaten some well-respected programs in recent years, including others on this list. They're favored to win their conference as well. So from a current standpoint, they're deserving to be on this list.

ECU has also beaten a number of teams over the decades, including a memorable game in the late 90's against Miami in Raleigh after Hurricane Floyd had ravaged their campus. So from a historical standpoint, they're again deserving on this list.

For South Carolina, I can guarantee that if they were back in the ACC, they'd have been in the Peach or Gator Bowl at worst last year. Being in the SEC is killer. They're certainly a Top 10 program in the Carolinas. They're ranking is about right.

Having said all that, phoenix3 got it right:

Looks more like a popularity contest than a legit poll.

IndianaAppMan
August 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM

1. Clemson
2. Wake Forest
3. South Carolina
4. App
5. East Carolina
6. North Carolina
7. N.C. State
8. Duke
9. Elon
10. N.C. Central

Judging by this, there's no way it's historical. Up until about 5 years ago, Wake Forest was an embarassment.

Additionally, do you think there's a little North Carolina bias here? The Raliegh News & Observer and The Charlotte Observer chose only two South Carolina teams and picked NCCU, Elon and Duke ahead of Furman and Wofford--at the very least, questionable.

elcid96
August 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Here is my revision

1. Clemson
2. Wake Forest
3. App
4. South Caroling
5. Wofford
6. East Carolina
7. North Carolina
8. NC State
9. Elon
10. Duke

appmaj
August 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM

1. Clemson
2. Wake Forest
3. South Carolina
4. App
5. East Carolina
6. North Carolina
7. N.C. State
8. Duke
9. Elon
10. N.C. Central

Does anyone have a link to the actual story?

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
ECU was not in a conference for about 20 years, so of course it was hard for them to win a conference in those years. As much as I hate to say this, to ECU's credit, they did beat NC State in Raleigh the same year App lost to them. They've also beaten some well-respected programs in recent years, including others on this list. They're favored to win their conference as well. So from a current standpoint, they're deserving to be on this list.

ECU has also beaten a number of teams over the decades, including a memorable game in the late 90's against Miami in Raleigh after Hurricane Floyd had ravaged their campus. So from a historical standpoint, they're again deserving on this list.

For South Carolina, I can guarantee that if they were back in the ACC, they'd have been in the Peach or Gator Bowl at worst last year. Being in the SEC is killer. They're certainly a Top 10 program in the Carolinas. They're ranking is about right.

Like I said, it depends on if you look at this as a 'current' poll or a 'historic' poll. We didn't have that information at the beginning of the thread, but I agree it does look suspect from either perspective (including Wake Forest, Duke and ECU; leaving out SCSU, Wofford and Furman).

Appaholic
August 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM

And we should be ahead of South Carolina.....seriously, what the fok gives them such a high ranking.....just proves bias and how weak football is in the Carolinas overall relative national scene....I mean hell, Furman BEAT NC the last time they met, yet they are not in top10?

appmaj
August 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
And we should be ahead of South Carolina.....seriously, what the fok gives them such a high ranking.....just proves bias and how weak football is in the Carolinas overall relative national scene....I mean hell, Furman BEAT NC the last time they met, yet they are not in top10?

As much as we would like it to be true it isn't:
Sept. 16 2006 UNC 45 Furman 42

They did beat them (bad) in 1999
28-3

LarryBoy
August 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
As much as we would like it to be true it isn't:
Sept. 16 2006 UNC 45 Furman 42

Correction:

UNC 45, Furman 42, ACC Officiating 10 (at least)

We did smash them in '99, though (28-3).

appmaj
August 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Correction:

UNC was lucky to win that one...

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Correction:

And I'm pretty sure yall's home referees would add a lil umph if you ever got in a battle against Carson-Newman or Valdosta State as well.

Reign of Terrier
August 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM

and duke and for the moment elon (one winning season in forever)

IndianaAppMan
August 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Correction:

i talked to a friend of mine who actually played for furman in that game (the one in '99). he said he was surprised at how easy it was against them. unc was bigger and had a lot more nfl players on that team (j. peppers included) but they had no heart, no work ethic.

isn't it curious that unc was willing to schedule furman again after getting embarassed by them, but they STILL won't schedule App.

ElonPride
August 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Yeah, 1st winning season since '00!!

If this is from overall perspective from decades past (as an App fan pointed out), then Elon WOULD be up there......

furman94
August 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Um, sounds a little like NORTH Carolina's College Poll with a side of Clemscum.

gophoenix
August 25th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Yeah, but the same "one winning season in forever" argument can be made for The Citadel too.

Elon had its first winning season since 2000. The Citadel had its first winning season since 1997.

This poll is just silly. It sounds like alums from those schools work at the paper.

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Um, sounds a little like NORTH Carolina's College Poll with a side of Clemscum.

Hey yall got your own newspapers. Tell your editors to get on the job.:D

'neers79
August 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM

and Duke

'neers79
August 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM

App lost to State that year with no Edwards (yet) hurt K-Rich, and Daniel Bettis going both ways (playing defensive end) before Gary Tharrington shaped up. I don't want to scream "What if," but those are some pretty big factors.

JohnStOnge
August 25th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I could be biased because McNeese has to play them but I would put North Carolina at #2 behind Clemson. I think they were a young "almost" team last year that lost a lot of close games (7 of their 8 losses were by 7 or less) and they have 18 starters back.

Before I became more familiar with them I was hopeful that McNeese would finally get to play a weak BCS league team rather than a medium to great one but I fear that won't be the case. I think they're going to contend for the ACC title.

ASU88
August 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I could be biased because McNeese has to play them but I would put North Carolina at #2 behind Clemson. I think they were a young "almost" team last year that lost a lot of close games (7 of their 8 losses were by 7 or less) and they have 18 starters back.
I've seen where at least of couple of preseason prognosticators have made it seem like they were gong out on a limb and picking UNC to contend. Not out of the realm of possibility. I think most thought Davis would get it done given a few years.

That being said, I'll rank them ahead of Clemson AFTER they've had a good season, not before. :)

CID1990
August 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Looks like there is a heavy dose of Durham voters in this poll.

That being said, UNC should be 3rd in this ranking. I don't care what their record has been over the last 10 years, the only teams they won't consistently beat at this stage are Wake and USC.

Duke, at this point, would lose 50% of the time to Furman, Wofford, Elon, and The Citadel.

NCCU would lose consistently to those same teams, as well as SCSU and Coastal.

Seawolf97
August 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM

I think Coastal Carolina would be in that mix .

Aho_Old_Guy
August 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I've seen where at least of couple of preseason prognosticators have made it seem like they were gong out on a limb and picking UNC to contend. Not out of the realm of possibility. I think most thought Davis would get it done given a few years.

That being said, I'll rank them ahead of Clemson AFTER they've had a good season, not before. :)

Two of Bunting's last three recruiting classes were ranked top 20 - one was top 10. They were all pretty much red-shirted - those are your RS freshman, sophs and jrs now. I think they will be better this year but have a better shot at Clemson in 2009. They've got a pretty tough schedule this year - but have both VT and BC in Chapel Hill.

The Observer rankings as I understand them are for this year only and will be updated each week. I hate to give Wake any credit but they deserve #2 (they've got 16 starters back) and have been gittin' it done the last few years. They still suck xlolx

I'm not so sure about the NCCU ranking. I think it was a 'homer' ranking to sell newspapers in the Triangle - lol. They are transitioning to FCS and are joining the MEAC - and got spanked by their masters from Winston Salem State last year.

walliver
August 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Byrnes High School could beat NC Central (and probably Duke).

WileECoyote06
August 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Byrnes High School could beat NC Central (and probably Duke).

Okay. . . yeah. Why don't yall write the writers? OOOOOOORRR you could convince the State, the Greenville News, or the Charleston Post and Courier to write about the SC college teams?

Dropping the SC teams would open up two more slots to include Catawba and WSSU.

CamelCityAppFan
August 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Disclaimer: I loathe all things Duke-related.

But: Duke is going to be the surprise team of the ACC this year, and will spoil championship or bowl hopes for someone this season.

OL FU
August 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Okay. . . yeah. Why don't yall write the writers? OOOOOOORRR you could convince the State, the Greenville News, or the Charleston Post and Courier to write about the SC college teams?

Dropping the SC teams would open up two more slots to include Catawba and WSSU.

I can almost guaranty that Greenville writers would list it:

1. Clemson
2. USC
3. Does anyone else play football xrolleyesx :(

ASUMountaineer
August 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Disclaimer: I loathe all things Duke-related.

But: Duke is going to be the surprise team of the ACC this year, and will spoil championship or bowl hopes for someone this season.

Based on...a hunch? Remember, just a few years ago The Detroit Lions were supposed to win the Super Bowl. xeyebrowx

AshevilleApp2
August 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Based on...a hunch? Remember, just a few years ago The Detroit Lions were supposed to win the Super Bowl. xeyebrowx

The Lions? When?

phoenixphanatic21
August 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

CamelCityAppFan
August 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM

I'm not saying the Dookies are going to a bowl game...just saying that they are going to be much better than they've been in the past. They'll still be the punching bag of the ACC and will be lucky to reach .500-- but they will catch someone off guard and punch back.

I think the new coach has brought in a new attitude and work ethic to the program, and they have some players that can play. They've sucked for so long that it won't take much to see some improvement. It wasn't that long ago that Wake and Duke were mentioned in the same sentence when it came to football, and look what the Deacs have been able to accomplish.

ASUMountaineer
August 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
The Lions? When?

I can't remember when it was, I'll have to call my buddy who is a diehard Detroit fan. I remember seeing it on ESPN one time, they were talking about the worst predictions ever and they interviewed the guy who made the pick. He said he wanted to go with a team off the wall and hope he got lucky, I think they went like 3-13 that year.

AshevilleApp2
August 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I think they went like 3-13 that year.

Now that's more like my lions. xlolx xnonono2x xbawlingx

ASUMountaineer
August 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM
[/B]

Now that's more like my lions. xlolx xnonono2x xbawlingx

I know, but they are dedicated. I used to live in Lansing, and people live and die for the Lions (though, not on the scale of the Red Wings).

elon77
August 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Looks like there is a heavy dose of Durham voters in this poll.

That being said, UNC should be 3rd in this ranking. I don't care what their record has been over the last 10 years, the only teams they won't consistently beat at this stage are Wake and USC.

Duke, at this point, would lose 50% of the time to Furman, Wofford, Elon, and The Citadel.

NCCU would lose consistently to those same teams, as well as SCSU and Coastal.

I think Elon gets their shot next year. At Duke.