PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Poll

CatFan22
October 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm

1. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (78) 6-1 2,859
2. Furman Paladins (13) 7-1 2,739
3. Hampton Pirates (13) 8-0 2,563
4. New Hampshire Wildcats (6) 6-1 2,497
5. Montana Grizzlies (1) 5-2 2,368
6. Texas State Bobcats (3) 6-1 2,350
7. Massachusetts Minutemen (2) 6-1 2,295
8. Southern Illinois Salukis 5-2 1,962
9. William & Mary Tribe 5-2 1,941
10. Cal Poly Mustangs 5-2 1,843
11. Youngstown State Penguins (1) 7-1 1,706
12. Appalachian State Mountaineers 5-2 1,554
13. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 6-1 1,452
14. Eastern Washington Eagles 4-3 1,218
15. Montana State Bobcats 4-3 1,118
16. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 5-2 909
17. James Madison Dukes 4-3 877
18. Illinois State Redbirds 5-3 847
19. Georgia Southern Eagles 5-3 761
20. Portland State Vikings 5-3 732
21. Northern Iowa Panthers 4-3 511
22. Grambling State Tigers 5-1 451
23. South Carolina State Bulldogs 5-2 429
24. Alabama State Hornets 6-1 395
25. Penn Quakers 5-1 308

Others receiving votes: North Dakota State 246, Northwestern State 148, Delaware 140, UC Davis 137, Brown 136, Richmond 130, Eastern Illinois 106, McNeese State 102, Hofstra 47, Lafayette 47, Idaho State 41, Colgate 31, Weber State 31, Wofford 16, Nicholls State 14, Sam Houston State 12, San Diego 10, Stephen F. Austin 6.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 11:58 AM
how in God's name, excuse my french, does Coastal keep moving up?

CatFan22
October 24th, 2005, 11:59 AM

They are 6-1. Maybe that's it. Is there any reason they wouldn't?

galojay
October 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Five of eight Gateway teams in the top 25.. impressive.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Don't look now,but Hampton is now #3 in the nation...

AppGuy04

yeah, barely beat G-W, and 3OT's to beat Liberty, the last 2 weeks

JMU Duke Dog
I am surprised that JMU is in the top 20. I feel as if JMU could have won their 3 losses as they have lost those by a combined 13 points. The critics have been especially vocal in that JMU is overrated this year. In my opinion this 2005 team is more athletically talented than the 2004 national championship team; however, last year's team seemed to play with more desire and had the ball bounce their way more often.

ChickenMan
October 24th, 2005, 12:02 PM

how about having to go to triple OT to get a win over 1-7 Liberty... ;)

CatFan22
October 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM
yeah, barely beat G-W, and 3OT's to beat Liberty, the last 2 weeks

They are winning. That's what counts in the end and they are 6 - 1. When they do lose, though, I think they will drop quite a bit.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM
They are winning. That's what counts in the end and they are 6 - 1. When they do lose, though, I think they will drop quite a bit.

that would be pretty inconsistent then, do these people actually watch the games

Saint3333
October 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Appguy don't worry about them, the pollsters did wake up and allow ASU to jump them. Polls don't mean crap right now, just win the conference games and put butts in the seats and ASU will have a home playoff game.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Appguy don't worry about them, the pollsters did wake up and allow ASU to jump them. Polls don't mean crap right now, just win the conference games and put butts in the seats and ASU will have a home playoff game.

its just frustrating that these people could have an effect on who gets chosen and they obviously have no clue what they are doing

putter
I am surprised that JMU is in the top 20. I feel as if JMU could have won their 3 losses as they have lost those by a combined 13 points. The critics have been especially vocal in that JMU is overrated this year. In my opinion this 2005 team is more athletically talented than the 2004 national championship team; however, last year's team seemed to play with more desire and had the ball bounce their way more often.

Your coach on CSTV said he thought that this years team is better than last years! That is saying a lot for sure...

Lehigh Football Nation

A better question is, how in God's green Earth are SC St. and Northern Iowa still in the countdown with two embarassing losses? How do they get in and Eastern Illinois gets no love? EIU is 5-2 with only losses to Illinois St. and BYU.

Eaglegus2
October 24th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Do you actually think they will lose a game?

The only team maybe Charleston Southern, but I doubt it.

Saint3333
October 24th, 2005, 12:06 PM
VMI is better than Charleston Southern.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Charleston Southern is what? 4-4? come on

Lehigh Football Nation

VMI will be tough, but other than that, I don't see a chance to lose.

Eaglegus2
VMI is better than Charleston Southern.

Is that your pick to defeat Coastal? VMI/

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM
either way, it doesn't make sense to move them up a spot after that game, and then when/if they lose to drop them all the way down or out, its a crock

CatFan22
October 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM

I really don't know, its hard to say with the way things are going this year in I-AA, but the way they have been able to win the close ones as well as the others, they might not.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I really don't know, its hard to say with the way things are going this year in I-AA, but the way they have been able to win the close ones as well as the others, they might not.

are you kidding me, we are talking about perenial cellar dwellars

JMU Duke Dog
October 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Your coach on CSTV said he thought that this years team is better than last years! That is saying a lot for sure...

Yes most JMU fans will say that this year's team is better but unfortunately are not living up to the expectations set by last year's team that exceeded expectations. It will be interesting to see how they respond in the next four games with their backs against the wall on the brink of definite playoff contention elimination.

ChickenMan
October 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM
A better question is, how in God's green Earth are SC St. and Northern Iowa still in the countdown with two embarassing losses? How do they get in and Eastern Illinois gets no love? EIU is 5-2 with only losses to Illinois St. and BYU.

UNI (4-3) gets pounded... 38-3 by ISU and is still in the Top 25... xidiotx

Mr. C
October 24th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yes, it's called winning two games in a row against very weak Big South teams in overtime. The Chants went to OT on Saturday against a Liberty team that is like 1-7 and has been getting bombed by most of the other teams on its schedule. Do the voters look at anything other than a team's record? Up until this week, Coastal was ranked AHEAD of an Appalachian State team that beat it 30-3 and could have won by 50, if the Mountaineers hadn't called off the dogs in the second half.

It's unbelievable that teams like Hampton (13 first-place votes) and CCU keep moving up just because they win against weak schedules. At least in CCU's defense, they did play Appalachian State and James Madison. Hampton really hasn't played anybody and is ranked third.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Wait til all the Coastal fans get here and start their "why you hatin on us" crap

Eaglegus2
October 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Charleston Southern is what? 4-4? come on

The record has nothing to do with their ability to defeat Coastal. The desire to succeed will.

LarryBoy
October 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Coastal's next loss will be a landslide at Furman or App. in the first round of the playoffs. Granted, if "Cardiac Kids" Furman shows up, then it will be Furman in 6 OTs.

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 12:21 PM

we have loss to 2 top 15 teams bya total of 5 points...

embarrasing?

why don't you just call it what it really is?

you don't respect HBCU's, and you don't think they should be ranked, regardless of the record....stop hiding

HIUguy08
October 24th, 2005, 12:24 PM

What do you mean SC St. still in the counting with 2 embarassing losses? They lost to 2 top 15 team by a total of 5 points. SC St. is a good team and deserves to be in the playoffs.

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 12:26 PM
What do you mean SC St. still in the counting with 2 embarassing losses? They lost to 2 top 15 team by a total of 5 points. SC St. is a good team and deserves to be in the playoffs.

:deadhorse

there is a reason he feels that way, and it ain't got nothing to do with win or losses

an unfortunately, there will alwasy be some who feel that way...

JALMOND
October 24th, 2005, 12:27 PM

The way they played against Liberty, even Savannah has a shot at them.

PSU at #20, about where I thought we'd be.

JALMOND
October 24th, 2005, 12:32 PM
In looking at the polls, Hampton moves up after a close win over SC State, Coastal moves up after a 3OT win over powerhouse Liberty and SC State stays in. Tell me again that there is no East Coast bias...

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
In looking at the polls, Hampton moves up after a close win over SC State, Coastal moves up after a 3OT win over powerhouse Liberty and SC State stays in. Tell me again that there is no East Coast bias...

well, if there was, App would be b/t 5-7 like all the other polls

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM
:deadhorse

there is a reason he feels that way, and it ain't got nothing to do with win or losses

an unfortunately, there will alwasy be some who feel that way...

Oh, please! Please spell out EXACTLY what you are accusing me of here.

I have Hampton at #2, Grambling St. at #21, and Alabama St. at #24 in my weekly picks, so please don't tell me about how I hate HBCUs for ANY reason.

You lost to Coastal Carolina by 1 point, the same CCU that nearly lost to 1-7 Liberty this weekend. You couldn't beat Hampton this week in a sloppy game. You were tied with 1-6 Norfolk St. in the 3rd quarter two weeks ago. Please don't tell me that you belong in the Top 25 on the basis of one good win against Alabama St. And, I'm sorry, I don't see "nearly" beating CCU or Hampton worthy of the Top 25.

kardplayer
October 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I think you're generally pretty fair, but you missed the boat on this one.

1. Hampton beat a ranked opponent - they can/should move up depending on others around them - no east coast bias there
2. CCU won a close game against a bad team - this is voter "not paying close attention" bias, not east coast bias ;)

You didn't mention - Montana State moved up 3 spots w/o playing
Looks like West Coast bias to me :D :D :D

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Oh, please! Please spell out EXACTLY what you are accusing me of here.

I have Hampton at #2, Grambling St. at #21, and Alabama St. at #24 in my weekly picks, so please don't tell me about how I hate HBCUs for ANY reason.

You lost to Coastal Carolina by 1 point, the same CCU that nearly lost to 1-7 Liberty this weekend. You couldn't beat Hampton this week in a sloppy game. You were tied with 1-6 Norfolk St. in the 3rd quarter two weeks ago. Please don't tell me that you belong in the Top 25 on the basis of one good win against Alabama St. And, I'm sorry, I don't see "nearly" beating CCU or Hampton worthy of the Top 25.

whatever man......you know EXACTLY what i meant in my post....and I didn't accuse you of anything...All I did pull the shoe out....not my fault it fits you so well

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
man, you guys are looking way too much into this

nobody needs to be calling anyone a racist or however you want to disguise it

i don't think ralph will like that very much

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
whatever man......you know EXACTLY what i meant in my post....and I didn't accuse you of anything...All I did pull the shoe out....not my fault it fits you so well

Gutless. Say what you mean.

CatFan22
October 24th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I think you're generally pretty fair, but you missed the boat on this one.

1. Hampton beat a ranked opponent - they can/should move up depending on others around them - no east coast bias there
2. CCU won a close game against a bad team - this is voter "not paying close attention" bias, not east coast bias ;)

You didn't mention - Montana State moved up 3 spots w/o playing
Looks like West Coast bias to me :D :D :D

I wish we were on the West Coast. :D :D

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Gutless. Say what you mean.

okay..

No, I am not calling you racist. I don't know you, and I would not make that kind of assesment based on a internet post. I do however think that you are bieased against HBCU's based on things you have said. Maybe its not true....but that is what comes across in your post.

Whoa!!! You have hampton ranked number 2? I guess the fact that they are undefeated hada little to do with that....you can't justify ranking them any lower than that.

We were tied with 1-6 norfolk state...who cares, we won the d@mn game! Who cares what the score was in the 3rd quarter....I know who, a person looking to crticize does

Also, if someone accused me of something that I was not, then i would feel no need to get defensive about it....but hey, thats just me

Gutless...please, just as I don't know you well enought odeclare you ara racist, you don't know mw to call me anything. But I guess thats just a sign of the character you posess. Or maybe that which you lack.

No need to get all worked up...but then again, they do say that a hit dog will holler....

anyway, I have said before, I feel SCSU is a top 25 team, but probably not a playoff calibur team...but I'll let it end there, before anyone else gets upset and starts calling names....

kardplayer
October 24th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I wish we were on the West Coast. :D :D

Good point:

West-ern Bias :D

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I already went through this with good ol' Piratized on another thread but at least P had the gumption to post >>'white'<<

:rolleyes:

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 01:05 PM
hey gram4life, I guess this is not racial either huh? :rolleyes:

Was that statement false? if it was racial or not is a matter of opinion. but was the statement valid? Just asking.....

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Was that statement false? if it was racial or not is a matter of opinion. but was the statement valid? Just asking.....

now that I think about it, it doesn't matter........everyone has an opinion, and everyone is entitled to it. No harm, no foul....

Black and Gold Express
October 24th, 2005, 01:13 PM
we have loss to 2 top 15 teams bya total of 5 points...

embarrasing?

why don't you just call it what it really is?

you don't respect HBCU's, and you don't think they should be ranked, regardless of the record....stop hiding

And the last time the MEAC won a playoff game was...?

I think it's a fair statement to say many don't respect HBCU's as being some of the elite I-AA football programs. With few exceptions in the last decade (FAMU in 1999 was the most recent), they haven't given people much reason to when it matters most.

When your teams start winning on the field more in the playoffs, the respect will come, I promise you.

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 01:16 PM
And the last time the MEAC won a playoff game was...?

I think it's a fair statement to say many don't respect HBCU's as being some of the elite I-AA football programs. With few exceptions in the last decade (FAMU in 1999 was the most recent), they haven't given people much reason to when it matters most.

can't argue with that..that statement is factual....and although I wish it were not true, I have no problem with that being stated.....but there is a difference between this post, and some others, but again. since Ralph said stop with the racial post, I am dropping this. there is nothing to be gained from discussing this further

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Anyways...

alot of people on here don't think that Coastal is a very good team, and well, SC St lost to them, so that should tell you enough

discussing the MEAC is not inherently racial, so why drop the subject

TigerFan17
October 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I can not believe what this thread has turned into. This is a football forum and because someone doesn't like SCSU ranked where they are, it is because of a racial bias?!

People hate on other team's rankings all the time. Look at all the **** Coastal catches for their ranking.

This is ludicrous.

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I can not believe what this thread has turned into. This is a football forum and because someone doesn't like SCSU ranked where they are, it is because of a racial bias?!

People hate on other team's rankings all the time. Look at all the **** Coastal catches for their ranking.

This is ludicrous.

your right...I apologize for my part in it. no need for all of this...

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM
that beaing said, bosshogg, i would love to hear why you think your team deserves to be ranked... just curious

bosshogg
October 24th, 2005, 01:34 PM
that beaing said, bosshogg, i would love to hear why you think your team deserves to be ranked... just curious

I'll pass AppGuy04...no disrespect to you, but there is no need for me to justify SCSU's ranking, whatever it may be. I am satisfied with whatever the polls rank us.

I have said on this an other boards that SCSU had the chance to make all this discussion irrelavant by beating CCU and hampton, and they did not. When they take coare of business,the polss will take care of themselves....and when they don't, the polls will also reflect that.....

I guess I will answer you question. I feel they should be in the top 25 because I don't think there are 25 teams better than they are. But there is my opinion. polls are someones opinion, just like I have an opinion, and so do you.

honestly, at the end of the day, none of it matters.....either you win the championship, or you didn't...and at the end, only 1 team will do that...

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I'll pass AppGuy04...no disrespect to you, but there is no need for me to justify SCSU's ranking, whatever it may be. I am satisfied with whatever the polls rank us.

I have said on this an other boards that SCSU had the chance to make all this discussion irrelavant by beating CCU and hampton, and they did not. When they take coare of business,the polss will take care of themselves....and when they don't, the polls will also reflect that.....

I guess I will answer you question. I feel they should be in the top 25 because I don't think there are 25 teams better than they are. But there is my opinion. polls are someones opinion, just like I have an opinion, and so do you.

honestly, at the end of the day, none of it matters.....either you win the championship, or you didn't...and at the end, only 1 team will do that...

ok, i can take that for an answer

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Hey bosshog, forgiven.

Honestly, I think SCSU is a bubble team, and if they go 9-2, they may get a playoff spot if they get help from elsewhere. At this point, Lehigh is in the same boat, though Lehigh has a better shot at getting the autobid at this point as well. I'm not saying that SCSU cannot and won't make it, though it's not looking good for an autobid. The 7-D-I requirement is wreaking havoc on the at-large qualifications, and that will come into play. If this were last year, you (and Lehigh) would be in much better shape.

JALMOND
October 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM

This is ludicrous.

Good point, Tiger. To justify a reason that Sc State should be higher is because of racial issues is asinine. People would think of me as insane if I even implied that of Portland State.

I, myself, Bosshogg, have been very critical of including SC State in the polls. Tell me why SC State deserves to be in the Top 25?

bodoyle
October 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
App Guy: I understand, and hold your breath, agree with your resentment for us being ranked ahead of you. I could understand us being ahead of you if it was a 30-27 or 30-20 game, but you guys manhandled us. Can't argue that point.

Just one point, when other CCU fans (me included) have seen and some voiced why they think/beleive you and the App St. fans despise us is because we have gained national prominence (to a certain extent) in 2 + years, while you guys have been playing for a helluva lot longer then we have and have not, or currently do not have as much as before or as much as we do or something along these lines. I would ask you what it is, but I knwo you would disagree 100% with what I'm saying, so I guess it's beating a dead horse.

The reason we are moving up in the polls (App and Dave C) is because we are winning. Would it be better if we lost to USC 56-49 as opposed to beating Liberty 27-21? A win is a win.

dbackjon
October 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I just don't like South Carolina teams... :p

OL FU
October 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I just don't like South Carolina teams... :p

Don't worry you will not have to play one this year :D

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 01:50 PM
App Guy: I understand, and hold your breath, agree with your resentment for us being ranked ahead of you. I could understand us being ahead of you if it was a 30-27 or 30-20 game, but you guys manhandled us. Can't argue that point.

Just one point, when other CCU fans (me included) have seen and some voiced why they think/beleive you and the App St. fans despise us is because we have gained national prominence (to a certain extent) in 2 + years, while you guys have been playing for a helluva lot longer then we have and have not, or currently do not have as much as before or as much as we do or something along these lines. I would ask you what it is, but I knwo you would disagree 100% with what I'm saying, so I guess it's beating a dead horse.

The reason we are moving up in the polls (App and Dave C) is because we are winning. Would it be better if we lost to USC 56-49 as opposed to beating Liberty 27-21? A win is a win.

if you have read any of my posts in the past, i have said several times that history makes no hill of beans to me, every year is a clean slate, ie "what have you done for me lately"

i just think that no one should move up a spot, win or loss, when they take a 1 win team and perennial cellar dweller to 3OT's, i would say this aout my own team. I just honestly think that if Coastal is at the point where their fans think the are, then this game should have been over at halftime, if not earlier. That being said, this is not the first time, so therefore in my eyes, its not an aborition, its a trend

bodoyle
October 24th, 2005, 02:54 PM
App, I agree it is a scary trend that appears to be developing. Yesterday when I was speaking with UMASSFAN and asked him to basically put his money where his mouth was, he started talking about history, and those who ignore it are bound to repeat it.....it appeared to me that you were agreeing with what he was saying. Am I incorrect? I am too lazy to scroll back through all that to find it.

If you feel this way then how can you explain Texas moving up to #1 in the BCS standings? They have not blown out too many people like USC has, yet they are #1 now, by simiply winning.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
UMASSFAN... he started talking about history, and those who ignore it are bound to repeat it.....
He said that? Just surprising given the history between UMass and UD.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 02:58 PM
App, I agree it is a scary trend that appears to be developing. Yesterday when I was speaking with UMASSFAN and asked him to basically put his money where his mouth was, he started talking about history, and those who ignore it are bound to repeat it.....it appeared to me that you were agreeing with what he was saying. Am I incorrect? I am too lazy to scroll back through all that to find it.

If you feel this way then how can you explain Texas moving up to #1 in the BCS standings? They have not blown out too many people like USC has, yet they are #1 now, by simiply winning.

are you kidding? look at these score: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/tth

history matters to some people, but not me, as far as play on the field goes

i have pride in app's history but it doesn't make me feel any better or worse, all that matters to me is what has happened this year, and how we could possibly go through thru the playoffs, nothing more, nothing less

GoGuins
October 24th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Who's the yahoo who keeps giving YSU a first place vote? Paladin, is that you? :p

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Who's the yahoo who keeps giving YSU a first place vote? Paladin, is that you? :p

i hope you are not complaining, that wouldn't be wise

bodoyle
October 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM
The one quality opponent they played, OSU, they won by 3. I hope you are not counting Mizzu or Texas Tech as quality opponents. USC has played better opponents (@Notre Dame, @ Oregon, @ Arizona State).

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by bosshogg
"Shellshock Posted:
Bosshogg- there are people on this board who do hate HBCUs, HBCU football, and Black folks in general"

No, it is racial when race is brought into it. The statement is completely wrong in tone and content. Now quit with this racial stuff.

You LOVE taking stuff out of context, don't you? Let me write the REST of the statement THAT YOU CONVENIENTLY LEFT OUT- "...but I don't think Lehigh Football Nation is one of [those who hate HBCUs, HBCU football, and Black folks in general]..."

please let it go, it was over and done 2.5 pages ago

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
The last time I checked, I was a grown man. Secondly, I have a father, and you ain't him. Thirdly, my father doesn't tell me what to do, because I'm a grown man. Let me spell it out for you- I don't worship at the temple of Ralph and I don't do what you say. The only time I will lay down for anyone is when I am laid low, and I don't think you are going to be the one to decide when that happens. Now if you are the owner of this site and you don't want me here, then do what you have to. Whether you are or not, if you think I am going to just crumble to your demands, then you are sadly mistaken.

all he is asking you to do is talk about football and nothing else, pretty simple in my mind

McNeese75
October 24th, 2005, 04:51 PM
The last time I checked, I was a grown man. Secondly, I have a father, and you ain't him. Thirdly, my father doesn't tell me what to do, because I'm a grown man. Let me spell it out for you- I don't worship at the temple of Ralph and I don't do what you say. The only time I will lay down for anyone is when I am laid low, and I don't think you are going to be the one to decide when that happens. Now if you are the owner of this site and you don't want me here, then do what you have to. Whether you are or not, if you think I am going to just crumble to your demands, then you are sadly mistaken.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

xcoffeex

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I have to agree that Eastern Illinois is underrated. They probably suffer from a lack of media attention and are flying under the radar. I doubt if I can find a poll that I agree entirely with. The same could be said for most of us. If nothing else, it gives us all something to argue about.
:D

ucdtim17
October 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM
NDSU over UCD? UCD won handily saturday, both are 4-3 and UCD has a win over Stanford and two close losses to #4 UNH and #20 PSU. NDSU has one loss to #15 MSU and a blowout at #10 CP. NDSU has a D2 win while UCD has the Stanford win. Make sense anyone?

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 24th, 2005, 05:13 PM
My fave in that whole poll is

8. Southern Illinois
18. Illinois State

Now, I hate on the creampuff conferences with the best of 'em, but there's no one who gets undue respect like the Salukis.

Now, back on topic, is it totally just not cricket for a west coasty to ask what the 'ell an HBCU is? I ask because I happen to think Hampton is terribly overrated and I'd like to be able to determine whether or not I'm a bigot.

ASU Kep
October 24th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Good God, man. Shellshock...this is a FOOTBALL message board. If someone calls into question whether your team is over/under rated it doesnt mean that they're being racist. If a site admin tells you to stop with the racial stuff it means hes trying to keep the discussion on FOOTBALL, the purpose of this website. I've read several other posts from you and it's pretty clear that your sole desire is to turn pretty much everything into being racially motivated somehow. Grow up. If somebody did/does say something like that on these boards, I have the utmost confidence that Ralph would not allow it. Why don't we just talk about FOOTBALL?

JALMOND
October 24th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Can I say Hampton and SC State are overrated because they play in a weak conference like the MEAC? Compared to other conferences (A-10, Big Sky, SoCon, Gateway and the Southland), they are statistically weak in terms of strength this year.

Please submit your thoughts and leave your prejudice aside. You don't know any of us, what we have done, or what we have accomplished to even attempt to post such drivel and I am very offended that you would even stoop to that level.

blukeys
October 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM
My fave in that whole poll is

8. Southern Illinois
18. Illinois State

Now, I hate on the creampuff conferences with the best of 'em, but there's no one who gets undue respect like the Salukis.

I'm with you on this one. After seeing SIU in '03 I never understood the love affair that the sports network pollsters have with this team. Again when faced with playoff competition they come up short and no one blinks they just keep voting for them in the top 5. The SID at SIU needs a raise as he gets more for a so so team then I have ever seen.

TypicalTribe
October 24th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I think Hampton is underrated in the computers and overrated in the polls. I like them somewhere in between, around the #8-12 range.

ASU Kep
October 24th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I don't have that confidence, and if you read my posts here in THIS THREAD, you would notice that I am not responding to attacks on Hampton, I am responding to Ralph and his ASSUMPTIONS, similar to the ASSUMPTIONS you are making HERE. If you have read the thread (THE ENTIRE THREAD), this whole thing started because BoosHogg made the assumption that Lehigh Football Nation was being racist, and I DEFENDED Lehigh Football Nation by letting BossHogg know that there were people on here who had those backwards racial feelings, but Lehigh Football Nation wasn't one of them. So, maybe you should "Grow Up" and read things completely before making off base assumptions.

I realize you were defending Lehigh, and was not specifically referring to you there. I should have made that clearer. I do however think your remarks to ralph were a bit over the top. He was just trying to halt all the racial "stuff" that was coming up. I myself feel that Hampton is over-rated, but it has nothing to do with color. Maybe I over-reacted a bit too. :eek: .

Catmendue2
October 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
:confused:
Good point, Tiger. To justify a reason that Sc State should be higher is because of racial issues is asinine. People would think of me as insane if I even implied that of Portland State.

I, myself, Bosshogg, have been very critical of including SC State in the polls. Tell me why SC State deserves to be in the Top 25?

Tell me why JMU should be ranked, they lost to CCU as well. SCSU should be ranked because of their record and because their 2 losses are to playoff positioned teams. CCU deserves their ranking and so does SCSU. I do believe most of this crying is not about CCU or SCSU its about the A-10 chances of having 5 teams in the playoffs is seriously dwindling.

nevadagriz
October 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM
One way to settle this is to send hampton to Wa griz for a night game on ESPN U in the first round! Great ratings and we will see how good they are!
But seriously Hampton keeps winning while perrenial powers have shot themselves in the foot this year Gsu,Montana, EWU,Delaware,and JMU all have more loses than hampton hell i think they deserve the ranking for now ,The playoffs will settle all of this.
The conference playoff history should not matter if some of you are using the "what have you done for me lately" criteria. Hampton and ccu keep winning even if others think the opposition is weak.

Ihope that made since I rarely post, cause i can't type what I'm saying in my head@#$%^&

Sam Adams
October 24th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I think Hampton is overrated. Its sincerely not a knock on Hampton's players or Coach Taylor and his coaching staff. I could be wrong but given the schedule that they play it is very difficult to logically conclude that they are the #3 team in the country.

What I really don't understand is why isn't Youngstown state ranked higher??? they are 7-1 and they have only lost to D1A Pitt. So in terms of D1AA teams they have the same record as Hampton but they are ranked much lower than Hampton. That doesn't seem right to penalize Youngstown for playing a Big East school. Youngstown has beaten Slippery Rock, Northeastern, Indiana State, Illinois State, CRUSHED Liberty, WIU and Missouri State. The Penguins should be ranked higher IMHO.

Paladin1aa
October 24th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Two answers on YSU.

First, you have people who have no understanding what we have here this year and how much it has changed and why. Those are the un- informed.

Second , you have the haters. We can win a NC again & that won't change a thing.

Combo of both. Frankly, we are Top 5 right now. All we can do is win.

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Do you really think SIU should be ranked 10 spots higher than a team that creamed them two weeks ago? Why?

SIU has 1 I-AA loss, ILS has 2!!!
This was answered in another thread by a Redbird fan in a very logical manner, I thought.
:D

HIUguy08
October 24th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I think Hampton is right where they need to be. You cant fault the team for its schedule but you can reward them for winning and thats is exactyl what Hampton has been doing the past eight weeks. (we havent lost a regular season game since we played Del. St. last year) Dont be surprised if Hampton ends up being the #1 ranked team at the end of the season.

I think SC State is an underrated team. They have a solid defense. A great running back and an outstading quarterback (i call him lil Vick...he had 92 rush yards against us) Im gonna say it again if SC State makes them playoffs they will cause some havoc.

CoastalFan2005
October 24th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Okay, look...I am by no means trying to say that CCU is any better than any other team in the land. Because we obviously struggle. But COME ON...you're getting this worked up over a third year program? I understand that your opinion is that we don't need to be where we are, but my opinion is that we are where we need to be. SO WHAT if we "squeaked out" that W at Liberty. Yeah, we struggled. Yeah, we probably didn't deserve to win that game (and the same could be said for a couple other games this season). However: the fact of the matter is this. WE WON. I'm tired of all the "Waah, waah, CCU is getting spots and I don't think they should, waah"...obviously SOMEBODY does. Sorry you don't like the ranking. Get over it. There's plenty of things I don't like about the I-AA world (and the way people are treated on this board), but you don't hear me moaning about it nonstop like I hear a lot of people here pissing about our ranking. :bang: :bang: :bang:

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

BTW - Just a general observation and opinion. If this isn't a smack board, could've fooled me...looks like it's time to clean this one up a bit.

CoastalFan2005
October 24th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Seriously, you need to read both sides of it.

CCU:
GPI #19 (14 spots behind Appalachian St)
AGS #19 (12 spots behind Appalachian St)
USA Today #13 (right behind Appalachian St)
SNW #13 (right behind Appalachian St)

"Waah! Waah! Appy State is ranked AHEAD of CCU! WAAAAAAH!!" :rolleyes:

Why are you so closely comparing us to Appy? :confused: It's obvious we couldn't hang with them. They deserve to be ranked ahead of us...they beat us. Good for them, I'm happy for them. Once again, :deadhorse

I've been told that there's no winning here if you're a Coastal fan...somebody needs to prove me wrong. I have largely (notice I said largely, not entirely) read nothing but hate/dislike for the Chants. AGAIN, NOTICE I SAID LARGELY! Want to make sure I'm understood here.

CoastalFan2005
October 24th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Like I said, you need to read more here then.

If you don't think there is anything wrong with CCU being ranked right next to ASU in the the poll this thread is about then so be it. Remember what this thread is about.

Reading your response to me made me think you think I am an App State guy, I'm not.

Your response did come across as giving you an Appy bias (to me at least)...

Look...I do remember what the thread is about. I'm not an idiot. My point is this: CCU is ranked where they are. They're ranked one way in this poll, another in that, another in this other one, et cetera, yadda yadda yadda. I'm sorry if other people disagree. We may not have deserved to move up a spot after Liberty. We CERTAINLY do not deserve to move down as far as it seems most would like us to (that is, out of the polls entirely). I believe we're still AT THE VERY LEAST a top 15 team. Sorry if you disagree. But that's my opinion.

Jaques
October 25th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Ralph or anybody...please remind me, :confused: what does the name of this web site imply? What does it mean?

Chant4Life
October 25th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I am not one who is big on message boards, but from the post i have read in this thread, it seems that maybe Appygay is a little intimidated in the fact that Coastal may make the playoffs because there is the slight chance that they might have to meet the Chanticleers again. (Especially being that coastal played their worst game of the year, when app blew them out in week three). I think i would be good for football, a third year program demanding the respect that most teams take decades to get. Coastal, if they are able to go 10-1 again, and i think they will, should make the playoffs and hope they are seeded to meet App. St. again just for the laughs and giggles.

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I am not one who is big on message boards, but from the post i have read in this thread, it seems that maybe Appygay is a little intimidated in the fact that Coastal may make the playoffs because there is the slight chance that they might have to meet the Chanticleers again. (Especially being that coastal played their worst game of the year, when app blew them out in week three). I think i would be good for football, a third year program demanding the respect that most teams take decades to get. Coastal, if they are able to go 10-1 again, and i think they will, should make the playoffs and hope they are seeded to meet App. St. again just for the laughs and giggles.

another newbie trying to put words in my mouth

it is what it is, and thus far, 30-3 says it all, and if you guys lay another egg like you have the last 2 weeks, you won't have any hopes of meeting us again

as for them going 10-1, why the hell wouldn't they with that creampuff schedule

bodoyle
October 25th, 2005, 08:55 AM
App: I tried to reach you last night on AOL but you were not on. :confused:

Any thoughts on the new GPI? You guys are #5

Black and Gold Express
October 25th, 2005, 08:57 AM
That's fair. I think many of the fans here are way off base with their ASSUMPTIONS about Hampton, SCSU, and CCU. I think these teams are good enough to beat MOST other teams in the Top 25. Most of what you are saying is the blustering of hopeful fans. Some of you have seen Hampton on TV, but most of you have not seen SCSU or CCU. I have, and I KNOW what both of those teams are capable of. We'll see what the playoff committee says, and we'll see what happens when and if those teams make it to the playoffs. The name of this site is "On Any Given Saturday" isn't it?

You can believe Hampton is good enough to be the #3 team in the nation, and that they could beat a bunch of the top 25. And that's fine. But don't get angry when everyone piles on the current MEAC leader as being a fraud, when your conference's champion has routinely bowed out of the first round of the playoffs.

Until this year's Hampton team (the probable lone MEAC entrant into the playoffs) actually comes away with a win in a playoff game, you cannot expect people to throw away tons of history that suggests the caliber of your team and, more importantly, your opponents, doesn't match up to the rankings you are getting.

It's my guess also that the same feeling probably goes in general for the SWAC champion, the Big South champion, the OVC champion, and to some minds the Patriot champion as well. To that end though, Lehigh and Colgate have made a lot of strides for building respect for their conference. They didn't do it by running their mouths on a message board. They did it by having their teams win football games against the elite teams in the division in the playoffs. Many outside the northeast will probably lump in the Ivy champion as well.

Hampton, and other MEAC schools, are fortunate that they at least get the opportunity to show annually what the best of their conference can do. It could be worse you know. You could be like the Big South, where you could go 10-1 or 11-0 and not get a guaranteed playoff invite at all.

Your team will get their chance to prove themselves on the field in the playoffs most likely. And every team you could face in there will probably be the strongest team you will have faced all year. The numbers do not lie, your strength of schedule (which is a completely neutral number) is by far the worst of all the playoff contenders. You've racked up 8 wins so far against a slate of teams that, by comparison, every single one of the 16 playoff teams should win every game against as well. You can throw in the "we can't help who we play" argument all you want (and that's debatable with the OOC games), but it does nothing to quell the factual argument that the combined strength of those teams are all creampuffs compared to what others have faced. That's not opinion, that is fact.

Win in the playoffs, and this 2005 Hampton team validates itself to the nation. That's the only way it will do so.

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 08:58 AM
App: I tried to reach you last night on AOL but you were not on. :confused:

Any thoughts on the new GPI? You guys are #5

i'll add you

I'm not too worried with #5, I am rather confused though, considering what we did to Wofford, and we dropped? I guess the GPI isn't that simple, wishful thinking that it would be

bodoyle
October 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Football rankings...simple? When that happens please give me a call!

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Football rankings...simple? When that happens please give me a call!

well, the opinion polls should be, ie USA Today, AGS, TSN, these should be based on facts and nothing else

# 1 BearBooster
October 25th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Ralph...I agree with your response to Shellshock

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM
another newbie trying to put words in my mouth

it is what it is, and thus far, 30-3 says it all, and if you guys lay another egg like you have the last 2 weeks, you won't have any hopes of meeting us again

as for them going 10-1, why the hell wouldn't they with that creampuff schedule

Laughs and giggles? Intimidated? :D :D The Coastal guy said.

I don't think the committee would be kind enough to give us another chance to beat the crap out of Coastal. Hopefully Moore will quit being the nice guy and taking a knee. I'd like to see him sub Elder and turn him loose.

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Several teams have played their worst game of the year vs ASU.
Your worst, handsdown, was the Liberty game. WTH was that?
That was about the worst performance against Liberty anyone has had this year.
How many times are you guys going to send your B game this year?

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Several teams have played their worst game of the year vs ASU.
Your worst, handsdown, was the Liberty game. WTH was that?
That was about the worst performance against Liberty anyone has had this year.
How many times are you guys going to send your B game this year?

how about this, maybe App just punishes people into playing a bad game, maybe u guys aren't bad, we're just that good

just another way to look it, since you guys like to come up with excuses

bodoyle
October 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
AppGuy:

Our (CCU) last 4 opponents:

VMI: 75th
Sav St: 118th
Chuck South: 106th
Mansfield D2

If we don't win by a combined total of atleast 75, I will agree that we should not be in the playoffs. VMI is respectable though. And for the cellar dwellar, Lilberty, they are 91st, adn GWebb is tied with Western Illinois at 70th

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM
AppGuy:

Our (CCU) last 4 opponents:

VMI: 75th
Sav St: 118th
Chuck South: 106th
Mansfield D2

If we don't win by a combined total of atleast 75, I will agree that we should not be in the playoffs. VMI is respectable though. And for the cellar dwellar, Lilberty, they are 91st, adn GWebb is tied with Western Illinois at 70th

cellar dwellar implies in the conference, and as for liberty, there are only like 120 teams, so thats pretty bad

as for the 75 points, you should beat mansfield by that much alone

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Do you really think SIU should be ranked 10 spots higher than a team that creamed them two weeks ago? Why?

That was the point, big r. Much of the (non-race-baiting) content of the thread was about how laughable many aspects of the poll are. ISU having put over 60 on SIU and then getting dissed is, I think, the most egregious.

The talk of weak conferences is for the most part speculation. We KNOW what ISU us in relation to the Salukis.

So, we're in agreement, then. Let us mark the occasion with the ceremonial adding of chocolate to milk.

edit: also, thanks to you and ShellShock for the clarifiacation on HBCU

bodoyle
October 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM
App I know we should, but I am being cautiously optimistic.

And yea I knwo there are 120 teams, and Sav St is 118. Thats cellar dweller

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM
App I know we should, but I am being cautiously optimistic.

And yea I knwo there are 120 teams, and Sav St is 118. Thats cellar dweller

i mean, no offense, but other than app and jmu all of your oppenents are in the lower 1/3 of the gpi, thats not saying much, win or loss

chantman
October 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
AG 04, who do you want us to play? Make out our schedule. Last year we got killed on this board for playing Morehead State, Davidson, North Greenville, Jacksonville and Charleston WV. Remember, those games were the second game of two years contracts entered before we ever took a snap.

This year we added Elon, JMU, ASU, SC State, Delaware State and Mansfield. Who do you wants us to play?

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Actually the rating for App went from 7.00 to 5.89 but other teams moved up further. Looks like the computers (ARC rose from 18 to 22) punished you for playing a much lower ranked foe.

still doesn't make sense

NH played Northeastern who is 1-6
Tx State played NW St who is 3-3
Western Kentucky played Western Illinois who is 2-6
Montana played Cal Poly who is 5-2

of these 4, only Montana played an opponent better than Wofford

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 12:31 PM
AG 04, who do you want us to play? Make out our schedule. Last year we got killed on this board for playing Morehead State, Davidson, North Greenville, Jacksonville and Charleston WV. Remember, those games were the second game of two years contracts entered before we ever took a snap.

This year we added Elon, JMU, ASU, SC State, Delaware State and Mansfield. Who do you wants us to play?

i suggest that you play higher caliber OOC teams, take away Elon and Mansfield and replace them with atleast middle of the pack I-AA teams, Mansfield is D2 and Elon should be

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 12:31 PM

No offense, but Mansfield makes the whole schedule look silly. Putting one D-II on the schedule is common, but the worst team in D-2 is a bit much.

chantman
October 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Wofford was on the schedule during the summer but they backed out to play WVU. Georgia Southern is on the schedule for next year. With regard to Mansfield, my understanding is we had a hole in the schuedule because of all the shuffling and there were not many teams with Nov. 12 as an open date. Mansfield was called. Coastal fans were as shocked as anybody.

Tribe4SF
October 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Regarding the dominant themes of this thread.

Coastal Carolina is overrated, and if they don't win their remaining games convincingly, they don't deserve a bid. I'll be watching their VMI game closely. The Tribe played VMI and Liberty, and beat them by a combined score of 97-7.

Hampton is overrated, and while they deserve a home game, they don't deserve to be seeded. I've seen both Hampton and SCSU play, and I think both teams will have difficulty winning in the first round. Hampton's record cannot be denied, however, and I think they deserve to be at home if they win out (little doubt of that). If the Tribe ends up as an at-large, a trip to HU would be awesome, and would give the Pirates another chance to prove themselves to doubters.

YSU and Illinois State are underrated. How SIU stays so high is beyond me. YSU can show SIU for what they are when they meet. Ill. St. already has, and I see them winning out and making a strong case for an at-large. They would finish 8-2 against a strong I-AA schedule with 3-point losses to YSU and WKU (OT). I have no doubt they are better than Coastal Carolina.

Tribe4SF
October 25th, 2005, 01:09 PM
still doesn't make sense

NH played Northeastern who is 1-6
Tx State played NW St who is 3-3
Western Kentucky played Western Illinois who is 2-6
Montana played Cal Poly who is 5-2

of these 4, only Montana played an opponent better than Wofford

Based only on record. Power ratings measure the relative strength of teams based on who they've played. Wofford would have trouble with all three of those teams.

bodoyle
October 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Tribe: I agree we need to really take it to our last 4 opponents. I think we can, and hope we will. I think though, that if we do finish 10-1 even if the victory margins are not the size of a small towns population, we will still get in. Think of it this way, if we go 10-1 don't really crush anyone other then Sav and Mansfield, and make the playoffs, you and others will have something to complain about all off season as well! :D

It would be no fun if we went 9-2 and didn't get in or 10-1 and didn't then noone would have anything ti bitch and moan about ;)

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Based only on record. Power ratings measure the relative strength of teams based on who they've played. Wofford would have trouble with all three of those teams.

Wofford had trouble with Georgia Southern, too...but still beat em.

AppGuy04
October 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I'm forcasting at this time next year Coastal will be complaining about how they didn't bring their A game against Georgia Southern

windwalker
October 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I'm forcasting at this time next year Coastal will be complaining about how they didn't bring their A game against Georgia Southern

You really get boring... I know you are young.. but you know what??? You sound like it also..
Most of us from Coastal has already admitted that App State thumped us in week 3. move on from there..

blukeys
October 25th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Tribe: I agree we need to really take it to our last 4 opponents. I think we can, and hope we will. I think though, that if we do finish 10-1 even if the victory margins are not the size of a small towns population, we will still get in. Think of it this way, if we go 10-1 don't really crush anyone other then Sav and Mansfield, and make the playoffs, you and others will have something to complain about all off season as well! :D

It would be no fun if we went 9-2 and didn't get in or 10-1 and didn't then noone would have anything ti bitch and moan about ;)

Your fortunes are really tied to JMU. They played an uninspired half hearted game (Their description not mine) against you guys. They currently have a 4-3 record and one more loss probably means they are out of the playoffs. Should this happen Coastal's one quality win loses its luster and Coastal loses ground in the at-large bid race. Currently Coastal actually ranks above JMU in the Sports Network Poll so the win there has very little benefit overall.

SoCon48
October 25th, 2005, 07:01 PM

It gets boring using not bringing their game as a reason for losing or not putting a dink away. A different reason each week would be much more interesting.

SeattleGriz
October 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM
How does N Iowa deserve to be in the top 25?

crunifan
October 25th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Well, with the way they have been playing as of lately they aren't top 25 material. But do you honestly think that when a team gets as high as 6th in the nation and loses just two games it deserves to fall over 20 places?

AppGuy04
October 26th, 2005, 07:38 AM
You really get boring... I know you are young.. but you know what??? You sound like it also..
Most of us from Coastal has already admitted that App State thumped us in week 3. move on from there..

I don't think the word App or App St is in there anywhere, so I'm almost positive I wasn't referring to your "thumping." Thus, if you read it again, i was referring to the "excuses," or whatever you chickens want to call them, for losing to the only high caliber teams that you play. More or less, its a prediction of next year's game, that is all, just go lay your egg and get it over with.

SeattleGriz
October 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Well, with the way they have been playing as of lately they aren't top 25 material. But do you honestly think that when a team gets as high as 6th in the nation and loses just two games it deserves to fall over 20 places?

No I don't think that is fair, I am just looking at the wins N Iowa has posted and they don't seem that strong. That is why I am asking. Hard for me to determine a quality win when I am unfamiliar with the teams UNI has beaten.

crunifan
October 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM
No I don't think that is fair, I am just looking at the wins N Iowa has posted and they don't seem that strong. That is why I am asking. Hard for me to determine a quality win when I am unfamiliar with the teams UNI has beaten.

I would have to agree with you. They beat Drake and Minnesota-Duluth which were both expected. They had a very strong showing against then 21st ranked I-A Iowa. Then they beat a decent Western Illinois team. Their win at Indiana State is no big deal. Then there was the Missouri State game where Eric Sanders was injured. MSU is a good team so losing by 3 is not terrible. Their performance against Illinois State on the other hand...

TypicalTribe
October 26th, 2005, 03:08 PM

One more loss and they'll be out of the 25 and out of the playoffs.

Menudo
October 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
If Furhman and Western Kentucky both lose this week, and Hampton wins. WHat are the chances they will be ranked first in the USA poll

GrizSweeper
October 26th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I'm hopin none but i dont think that's the case. They have no strength of schedule, put them in the Big Sky or A-10 and they dont stand a chance at even the playoffs

OL FU
October 27th, 2005, 12:32 PM
If Furhman and Western Kentucky both lose this week, and Hampton wins. WHat are the chances they will be ranked first in the USA poll

No chance of that - Furman doesn't paly :D

AppGuy04
October 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM
No chance of that - Furman doesn't paly :D

saving grace

blackfordpu
October 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Don't look now,but Hampton is now #3 in the nation...

That happens when you are undefeated TT. I'm just sad to see only one SLC team in both the AGS and Sports Network polls. We had a nice run going.

Menudo
October 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Well Western Kentucy Lost

So maybe Hampton can sneak up in the USA today poll

siugrad99
October 29th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I'm sure anytime Montana wanted to take a trip to the UNIDome the Panthers would love to show you why they are top 25 material. People seem to forget that last season there was not a team in the nation playing any better then UNI, unfortunately their 7-4 record kept them out of the playoffs, otherwise it would have been interesting to see how they would have faired.

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Furman should be the new #1.

CatFan22
October 30th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Did App St. get a new logo/helmet?

rcny46
October 30th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Furman should be the new #1.

I'll second that,with Hampton,UNH,Montana,and Appalachian St. right behind.

Humble Steward
October 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Furman should be #1 followed by Hampton at #2. Being idle for either team doesn't negate what they have accomplished. Next week might ;) .

UNHWildCats
October 30th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I'll second that,with Hampton,UNH,Montana,and Appalachian St. right behind.

I could deal with Furman being ranked ahead of UNH in this weeks polls, however it would be a shame if Hampton was ranked ahead of them.

I believe UNH will pick up a large amount of Western Kentucky's first place votes because they beat a tough top 10 UMass team on the road this weekend more then doubling the points UMass Defense had given up all season.

The average rankings from 37 different polls and computer rankings before this weekends games show UNH with an avergae spot of 4.85 to Furmans 9.93 and Hampton's 15.22

Hampton should be discounted below UNH and Furman because of there very weak schedule (.4852) compared to UNH (.5547) and Furman (.5811)

Also the only two new rankings I have seen so far have (Sagarin) UNH 1, Furman 15 and Hampton 23. And (Don Hansen) UNH 2, Furman 3, and Hampton 1

My top 10 would probably be:

New Hampshire
Furman
Appalachian State
Montana
Southern Illinois
Hampton
Western Kentucky
Texas State
Massachusetts
Coastal Carolina

I would be close to having furman #1, but I think the week off doesnt merit a move up the way beating the then #7 Massachusetts merits New Hampshire moving past the 2 teams that had byes.

Humble Steward
October 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
This is why we don't make up the polls :rolleyes: . Hampton is 8-0 and well deserving of their ranking. Get the W's and remain undefeated and forget the respect. The W's will take care of the rest.

nmatsen
October 30th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Does a win vs 7-1 YSU count oh great and powerful Montana fan? I know that you guys are superior to all that is 1-AA football and god forbid anyone question what you say. I mean if it weren't for the Griz there might not even be a division 1-AA.

Whats a matter, are you afraid that with us being in the top 25 someone might let us in the playoffs at 8-3, or that we might win our conference and get a home game before they GIVE you your home game at 7-4 again. You guys could be 5-6, win the Big Sky and get a home game, if not a seed. I am so sick of you guys bitching all the time. Shut Up!

UNHWildCats
October 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM
This is why we don't make up the polls :rolleyes: . Hampton is 8-0 and well deserving of their ranking. Get the W's and remain undefeated and forget the respect. The W's will take care of the rest.

The question is is a 7-1 team with a tougher schedule better then a 8-0 team with a weaker schedule? and the answer is yes. it has nothing to do with disrespect. but Miami had been ranked ahead of an undefeated texas tech and the reason is Miami is better then Tech same goes for why UNH should be ahead of Hampton, weaker schedules should and do hurt your ranking.

UNHWildCats
October 30th, 2005, 11:56 AM

PS the 0-8 Savanah State Tigers aint gonna help there Strength of Schedule either.

Humble Steward
October 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
This is Exactly what I am saying. I'm not going to worry about whether a 7-1 team has a stronger schedule. I'm just going to win the games put in front of me and then do the same in the playoffs. Then when you play the 7-1 team, that will determine who is better. Not all of these mathematical calculations that everyone loves. Give me the W anyday. :cool:

blueballs
October 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM
The question is is a 7-1 team with a tougher schedule better then a 8-0 team with a weaker schedule? and the answer is yes. it has nothing to do with disrespect. but Miami had been ranked ahead of an undefeated texas tech and the reason is Miami is better then Tech same goes for why UNH should be ahead of Hampton, weaker schedules should and do hurt your ranking.

That question was answered in 1999, where Tennessee State went 11-0 against a suspect schedule and was seeded #1 in the playoffs while GSU went 9-2 with close losses @ASU (1 point) and @Oregon St. (6 points) and garnered the #2 seed while averaging 50 ppg.

TSU was defeated in the first round while being exposed for the fraud they were while GSU scored 197 points in their march to title #5 and played no playoff games closer than 11 points.

Humble Steward
October 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM
OH, that's when this question was answered (In 1999). :rolleyes: I guess Hampton should stop winning because they will lose in the first round and Georgia Southern will go on to win this year as well. I will e-mail this response to the Pirates right away.

SeattleGriz
October 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Does a win vs 7-1 YSU count oh great and powerful Montana fan? I know that you guys are superior to all that is 1-AA football and god forbid anyone question what you say. I mean if it weren't for the Griz there might not even be a division 1-AA.

Whats a matter, are you afraid that with us being in the top 25 someone might let us in the playoffs at 8-3, or that we might win our conference and get a home game before they GIVE you your home game at 7-4 again. You guys could be 5-6, win the Big Sky and get a home game, if not a seed. I am so sick of you guys bitching all the time. Shut Up!

Looking at the Gateway conference, I don't see any wins against top 25 teams outside the Gateway. The only ranked team played by SIU, UNI, YSU and WKU was Auburn. Many of the wins are against teams with losing records.

If you read through the thread, you will see that is why I asked, because many of these teams I am unfamiliar with. If I don't know about the teams, then I have to wonder...that is why I asked.

By the way, I see very little Montana fans on this board making unsubstantiated claims. Sounds like you have Big Sky envy.