PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern Head Coach Jay Mills Looks To Continue Success

BJuice
August 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Mills Looks To Continue Success (http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/aug/22/mills_looks_continue_success51656/)

Charleston Southern head football coach Jay Mills says he can't remember having this much fun coaching football. With a veteran group of players returning, one can easily see why the coach is downright giddy.

"We have more depth at every position than we've ever had," Mills said. "I'm having as much fun as I have ever had here through the spring and summer because of the group we have this year. It's a very dedicated, committed football team, and they have put in a lot of work since last season. It starts with senior leadership and we have plenty of that here."

Coach Mills and his staff have done an excellent job building the program.

A #5 Big South pre-season ranking? It looks like the person that gave us a first place vote might be very wise.

Hoseinexile07
August 22nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
xeyebrowx

Seawolf97
August 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Maybe, Maybe notxnonox

IaaScribe
August 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Charleston Southern has about as much chance at winning the Big South as I do at scoring with Elisha Cuthbert -- nil.

CSUBUCDAD
August 23rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I can remember not too long ago when I was one of about 400 people who would even bother coming out to see the Bucs play at home. Mills has done a masterful job in building a program that less than 6 years ago only gave 15 scholys to football players. Now the Bucs give the full boat of scholys and the stands are getting fuller each week with each passing season. The Bucs aren't where they want to be yet, but they are marching that direction at a steady pace. I don't know about winning the Big South this year, but I think some folks are going to be somewhat surprised at just how good the Bucs are once the season gets underway.

citdog
August 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
so now you draw 450 fans to ladson?xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx

play that "second fiddle" baptist college!

CSUBUCDAD
August 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Actually we averaged around 2700 last year. Stadium capacity is only 4000 at the moment.

BJuice
August 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
I can remember not too long ago when I was one of about 400 people who would even bother coming out to see the Bucs play at home. Mills has done a masterful job in building a program...the stands are getting fuller each week with each passing season. The Bucs aren't where they want to be yet, but they are marching that direction at a steady pace. I don't know about winning the Big South this year, but I think some folks are going to be somewhat surprised at just how good the Bucs are once the season gets underway.

I remember during the time that I was a student from Fall 1994 - Spring 1998, being one of only a handful of students that showed up at the games. I sat through many dark days of Buccaneer football and watched our team suffer defeat after defeat after defeat.

Since Coach Mills' arrival, Saturdays at CSU have become much more enjoyable.

You're right, they are marching in the right direction and at a steady pace and Coach Mills and his staff are doing an outstanding job.

I agree, the CSU Bucs will surpise people this year.

GOOOO BUCS!!!!

csubuccaneers
August 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
We will have a few upsets in the Big South based on our #5 ranking.xazzx

jcmanson
August 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
It looks like the person that gave us a first place vote might be very wise.

Haha, Liberty was as unanimous as you can be for the pre-season poll considering you can't vote for yourself. So, therefore LU's SID voted for CSU, and I can promise you they don't really think CSU can win the Big South.

IaaScribe
August 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Who? CSU isn't beating Liberty, Coastal or Stony Brook on the road. Gardner-Webb at home is a coin flip.

CSU Girl
August 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Coach Mills knows his stuff. Bucs are going to upset many teams this fall! :)

CSU Girl
August 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
A #5 Big South pre-season ranking? It looks like the person that gave us a first place vote might be very wise.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

g-webb1994
August 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Who? CSU isn't beating Liberty, Coastal or Stony Brook on the road. Gardner-Webb at home is a coin flip.

Coin flip? No. A tune up before going to Georgia Tech.? Yes.xrotatehx

Seawolf97
August 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM
We will have a few upsets in the Big South based on our #5 ranking.xazzx

Only if you play VMI 4 times :D

BJuice
August 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Only if you play VMI 4 times :D

For being the new kid on the block, you might be getting a little ahead of yourself. You might want to play a season in the league and see how it turns out.

SuperJon
August 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM
For being the new kid on the block, you might be getting a little ahead of yourself. You might want to play a season in the league and see how it turns out.

I'm pretty sure they're better than you right now. They can say what they want.

CSUBUCDAD
August 26th, 2008, 06:46 AM
We'll find out in 2 days, 11 hours and 45 minutes from now just how good the Bucs are won't we?

Libertine
August 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM
We'll find out in 2 days, 11 hours and 45 minutes from now just how good the Bucs are won't we?

No.

Hoseinexile07
August 26th, 2008, 08:12 AM

He can speak. In 2005, while we were still D-II, we blanked you guys 42-0 at your place, and that year was the apogee of your success thus far: a split title with Coastal. Being new to the league has nothing to do with anything.

CSUBUCDAD
August 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
No.

But I guess El Cid will get a nod for whipping up on a helpless Weber Internation team instead of lining up against us, huh?

That oughta piss Citdog off real goodxsmiley_wix

ATrain
August 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I just hope that CSU returns enough healthy players home from the Miami game to continue playing the rest of the season.

Libertine
August 26th, 2008, 09:14 AM
That Miami game won't show how good CSU is at all. It might show how good your medical staff is.

CSUBUCDAD
August 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Question for all you Liberty boys. Do they have a class up there called Smartass 101, or is there something in the water that does that to you?

CSU Girl
August 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Question for all you Liberty boys. Do they have a class up there called Smartass 101, or is there something in the water that does that to you?

take the smart out of smartass and it is more appropriate for what the Liberty fans are like.

Sir William
August 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I have no dog in this fight, but I do have a question.

If Jay Mills has done such a good job building this football program (and by the way - I think he has done a superb job, in contrast to the state of the CSU football program prior to his arrival)...when is the CSU alumni base gonna pony up and help with the funding and building of a real football stadium?

This "bleacher" business is so NAIA. Heck, North Greenville's (D2) stadium is elaborate compared to where CSU plays.

CSUBUCDAD
August 26th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I have no dog in this fight, but I do have a question.

If Jay Mills has done such a good job building this football program (and by the way - I think he has done a superb job, in contrast to the state of the CSU football program prior to his arrival)...when is the CSU alumni base gonna pony up and help with the funding and building of a real football stadium?

This "bleacher" business is so NAIA. Heck, North Greenville's (D2) stadium is elaborate compared to where CSU plays.

Takes time. The plans are already laid for the new athletic complex to be built right at the north end of the field. After that is lights I think. Then will come the stadium upgrades. We gotta start selling out home games consistently before we even consider expanding the stadium.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I bet no one picked Chuck South to be co-champs in '05 after a 1-3 conference record in '04. A lot can happen in a conference with 5 members.

CSUBUCDAD
August 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I bet no one picked Chuck South to be co-champs in '05 after a 1-3 conference record in '04. A lot can happen in a conference with 5 members.

Exactly why preseason rankings in conference and nationwide don't mean a hill of beans to me. The victor in battle is decided on the battlefield not in the papers.

Libertine
August 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I wasn't being a smartass, I was serious. Unless CSU beats Miami, this game will in no way be an indicator for how good your team is this year.

g-webb1994
August 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
He can speak. In 2005, while we were still D-II, we blanked you guys 42-0 at your place, and that year was the apogee of your success thus far: a split title with Coastal. Being new to the league has nothing to do with anything.

Good point, adding in PC and Stony Brook helps to toughen the league quite a bit as well.