PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week One

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
You guys know how this works. Share your thoughts on each game, post your predictions. Last year, I went 45-15 with a 23-5 record in SLC play. Here's hoping for another fun and a bit more unpredictable SLC season!

TT's Predictions
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 0-0 (0-0 SLC)

East Central @ SHSU
The Bearkats stumbled a bit last year against their sub-Div I opener. When did this school go from ECO to ECU? No telling, but I'm telling you this...Bearkats win! SAM HOUSTON STATE

Henderson St @ UCA
Unlike another in-state FCS, UCA is not traveling to Henderson State. UCA is going to be very vanilla in this game. They have no reason to show everything that Clint Conque has in his toolbox. They'll get their reps in, Brown plays a bit into the second half and then they call it a night. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

SLU @ Alcorn State
This is the "Game of the Week" in the conference as everyone else plays sub-Div I teams to stretch themselves out and well, I favor FCS vs FCS compared to FCS vs FBS. SLU is going to a SWAC stadium and that tends to be tough due to poor officiating, amongst other things. I'm thinking Lucas is not going to have a problem with the Braves, but I will be interested to see how the QB(s) do. SOUTHEASTERN LA

Angelo St @ Texas State-San Marcos
The Rams gave SHSU all they could handle last year and the Bobcats have had recent struggles against Div II teams. I do not hold ASU in the same regard as a few of those teams. If the Bobcats want to send a signal to the rest of the SLC they are for real this year, they can't have those same struggles. SMU looms large and the Bobcats want to go in that game with their heads held high. Must beat ASU convincingly. TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS

McNeese @ No Carolina
Unfortunately, this is not the FCS over FBS matchup that it was looking to be. The more and more I hear about the kids that No Carolina has brought in, the more convinced I am that UNC may actually be in for a good year. The good thing for the Pokes is that I do not think they will lose another OOC game until SLC play. NO CAROLINA

A&M-Commerce @ NWST
NWST has a very intriguing schedule and very home-heavy. They can't mess around with a team like A&M-Commerce. Their defense is going to be the key to this season as there are some questions on the offensive side. Playing A&M-Commerce should be a great chance for the Purple Swarm to gain some confidence as they head into a tougher part of their schedule. NORTHWESTERN STATE

Langston @ SFA
Losers of every game a year ago, the Jacks fans were really excited about this game. Yes, it's the season opener, but it's also their best shot all year at a win. If SFA does not win this game, I feel bad for them, because they are never going to hear the end of it and the odds will be very good for another winless season. It would be a huge embarassment to fall to Langston, a team that is known for losing to the losingest of losers . STEPHEN F AUSTIN

SLC This Past Week
No Results Available

SLC Next Week
Nicholls @ New Mexico State
SFA @ Texas Christian
SLU @ Mississippi State
UC-Davis @ UCA
NWST @ Baylor
TXST @ SMU
Delta St @ McN

slycat
August 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
East Central @ SHSU - SHSU easily beat the double directional school.

Henderson St @ UCA - Bears start the season off right and cruise to a win.

SLU @ Alcorn State - This is the SLC game of the week in my book. Great OOC match-up. Even though its at Alcorn St, I'll pick the Lions in this one.

Angelo St @ Texas State-San Marcos - It seems I will make it back to San Marcos to see this game. Night be my only home game to go to this season. The Bobcats have struggled the last few years against D2 schools but have always thumped the Rams, even in the bad years.

McNeese @ No Carolina - I want to pick the Cowboys but I want a good prediction record too. UNC is improving as of late, too bad this game wasn't a few years ago. Good luck to the Pokes anyway.

A&M-Commerce @ NWST - This could be the upset of the week. A&M-CC can play pretty well but the Demons prevail.

Langston @ SFA - It can't get much easier for the Jacks to win for the first time since 2006.

slycat
August 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Wow I didn't read TT's post before I wrote mine and we have many of the same comments. Things will change come week 3 though when we settle into more competitive play.

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Wow I didn't read TT's post before I wrote mine and we have many of the same comments. Things will change come week 3 though when we settle into more competitive play.

I am confused. You going with McNeese or against them? You bolded them and you sound like your going for No Carolina...

This week is vanilla for all of us SLC predictors...it's going to get a bit harder in week two... xnodx

slycat
August 22nd, 2008, 10:55 PM
I am confused. You going with McNeese or against them? You bolded them and you sound like your going for No Carolina...

This week is vanilla for all of us SLC predictors...it's going to get a bit harder in week two... xnodx

Whoops bolded the wrong team.

txstatebobcat
August 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
East Central @ SHSU - Sam Houston by at least 21 pts.

Henderson St @ UCA - UCA by at least 28 pts.

SLU @ Alcorn State - SLU by 14 pts.

Angelo St @ Texas State-San Marcos - TxSt by 21 pts.

McNeese @ No Carolina - North Carolina by 14 pts.

A&M-Commerce @ NWST - NWST by 14 Pts.

Langston @ SFA - SFA by at least 28 pts.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 23rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
East Central @ SHSU

Henderson St @ UCA

SLU@ Alcorn State

Angelo St @ Texas State

McNeese@ No Carolina--why the hell not?

A&M-Commerce @ NWST

Langston @ SFA

McDABest
August 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
East Central @ SHSU - Do I have to explain?
Henderson St. @ UCA - Another no-brainer
SLU @ Alcorn St. - There's a chance that Alcorn could win, but i highly doubt it
Angelo St. @ Texas State-San Marcos - Another Div. II'er
McNeese @ UNC - I hope I'm wrong, but still, for obvious reasons, I'll pick against my Cowboys :(
A&M-Commerce @ NWST - Easy pick
Langston @ SFA - NAIA...

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Can't wait til the schedule turns to more FCS foes in week III. The first two weeks are not going to be entertaining as far as matchups matter...

Lots of 1-0 teams on paper, but we all know outside of McNeese, they'll all be 0-0 for the playoffs...

BEAR
August 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Word out of Conway is that the Henderson State game is a sell out! 3000+ tickets sold, 600 season tickets and more coming very sooon. 4000 students, 2000 walk-ups or more and the Hendy group= 10k at least! For a stadium that holds around 9k in actuality, not bad...guess it's time to build a bit bigger stadium considering we've exceeded capacity 2 years now..maybe 12k. Small markets don't tend to draw big crowds. As for the week 1 predictions I agree with TT. But I do think McNeese will roll UNC. xthumbsupx

JoshUCA
August 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
East Central @ SHSU

Henderson St @ UCA

SLU @ Alcorn State

McNeese @ No Carolina

A&M-Commerce @ NWST

Langston @ SFA

UCABEAR...You are right! First Security Field at Estes Stadium is going to be rockin' Thursday night! Bruce Street is going to be INSANE Thursday! I just hope the weather cooperates!

GeauxLions94
August 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
East Central @ SHSU
Even with ??? on the offensive line, how Bomar responds to coming back from the injury and a new RB to replace Poullard ... it's all Bearkats, even if East Central had help from the other three Centrals (North, South and West) SAM HOUSTON STATE

Henderson St @ UCA
Nathan Brown and the UCA offense pick up quickly where they left off against a former Gulf South rival. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

SLU @ Alcorn State
Note of the Week ... Southeastern has not won a road game since beating Mississippi Valley State in the 2005 regular-season finale. That should change as the Lions face an Alcorn State team that averaged about 10 points per game on offense last year. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

The Bobcats have the offensive tools (George, Luke, Zwinngi, Bush???) to remind folks on the San Marcos River about the 2005 campaign. How well the defense does under a new DC will be noticed as the season progresses. Take the Cats. TEXAS STATE

McNeese @ No Carolina
Best potential for an upset between the two games featuring schools from Louisiana and the Tar Heel State. Cowboys have solid corp of players returning (Whitehead, Lawrence, Fourroux), but have to take the road team in a game that will be closer than most think. CAROLINA

A&M-Commerce @ NWST
A&M-Commerce has one of the top QBs in Division II and will keep Demons on their toes for three quarters. Unfortunately, there are four quarters and Demons are at home. NORTHWESTERN STATE

Langston @ SFA
Something that hasn't been heard in the Piney Woods for a while ... JACKS WIN! Harper and Co. finally get in the "W" column. STEPHEN F AUSTIN

MSU_77
August 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
East Central @ SHSU

Henderson St @ UCA

SLU @ Alcorn State

Angelo St @ Texas State

McNeese @ No Carolina--why not indeed?

A&M-Commerce @ NWST

Langston @ SFA

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Note of the Week ... Southeastern has not won a road game since beating Mississippi Valley State in the 2005 regular-season finale. That should change as the Lions face an Alcorn State team that averaged about 10 points per game on offense last year. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

The SWAC is good for what ails you... xnodx

The SLC has an increase in SWAC-SLC match-ups this year which should help the conference as far as getting more Div I wins under their belt goes...

blackfordpu
August 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Yea, what everyone else said. xnodx

chrisattsu
August 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM
East Central @ SHSU -- Seriously, you better win.

Henderson St @ UCA

SLU @ Alcorn State

Angelo St @ BOBCATS

McNeese @ No Carolina. Go Pokes!

A&M-Commerce @ NWST. Gotta believe in Mayo

Langston @ SFA Is it bad that the 'Jacks are opening against an NAIA team that Lone Star Conference teams won't even schedule?

NSUDemon98
August 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I find it humorous how some people are picking/rooting for TAMU-commerce to beat NSU...just remember if any of your teams make the playoffs it will also hurt your seeding and the conference RPI. xcoffeex

But if NSU loses to TAMU-commerce then that means TxSt will lose to Angelo St and SLU to Alcorn if that is where how some people view the strength of the SLC.

Lionsrking
August 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I find it humorous how some people are picking/rooting for TAMU-commerce to beat NSU...just remember if any of your teams make the playoffs it will also hurt your seeding and the conference RPI. xcoffeex

But if NSU loses to TAMU-commerce then that means TxSt will lose to Angelo St and SLU to Alcorn if that is where how some people view the strength of the SLC.

I've read every prediction in this thread and only found one that picked A&M-Commerce to win, and that's a Lone Star Conference fan...but having seen A&M-Commerce play on TV last year, I would agree with those who feel it may be a better game than Demon fans think...they have a tremendously gifted QB in Mayo and very good athletes...it's not "rooting" against or showing disrespect to Northwestern State, it's recognizing that they're taking on a talented D-II opponent from a conference that has given the SLC trouble recently...nothing more, nothing less.

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM

You got to take what ChrisatTSU says with a bit of grain of salt when it involves Div II teams from the Lone Star Conference. When it comes OOC play, we all got to root for each other, so we can make an argument for an at-large and hopefully improve our conference's image amongst the FCS community.

PantherRob82
August 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
SHSU

UCA

SLU

Angelo St

McNeese

NWST

SFA

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Angelo St

And why are you picking Angelo State over the Bobcats? Very curious...xconfusedx

slycat
August 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
SHSU

UCA

SLU

Angelo St

McNeese

NWST

SFA

Doesn't surprise me that you pick against the Bobcats with your history of anti Texas St posts on this board, but I would be interested to hear your logical reason why you think the Rams will win.

UCAMonkey
August 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM

We need all the SLC teams to win their OOC games and raise the leagues RPI standings so we get better playoff seedings. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
From Atomic Dog Productions through JoshUCA...

@SHSU 41
East Central OK 13
Home Wins: 98.1%

SELA 27
@Alcorn St 16
Home Wins: 19.7%

McNeese St 16
@UNC 34
Home Wins: 89.9%

TAMU-Commerce 18
@Northwestern St. 30
Home Wins: 81.5%

Langston 9
@ SFA 35
Home Wins: 97.9%

Angelo St. 23
@TX ST 37
Home Wins: 84.5%

http://www.knology.net/~jashburn/football/archive/af_predictions_All.html#IAA

JoshUCA
August 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
@UCA 31
HSU 19
Home Wins: 80.7%

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Left off the most important one for you, eh Josh?

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Anyone else want to get their predictions in before the kickoff tonight? We need to make sure we have everyone in to lambast their pics when they end up on the wrong side of the line...

MaximumBobcat
August 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Thursday Night Kickoff-
Sam Houston State vs East Central Oklahoma University
Central Arkansas vs Henderson State

Saturday Kickoff-
Alcorn St. vs Southeastern Louisiana
North Carolina vs McNeese State
Stephen F. Austin vs Langston
Northwestern State vs Texas A&M Commerce
Texas State vs Angelo State

McNeese75