PDA

View Full Version : UMass-Maine images are up

Umass74
October 24th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I have some UMass-Maine images up on my UMass Football blog.

Click on the image for a larger view

The images are here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/)

Note that Blogger was giving me a hard time today. The apparent size of the image changes halfway through the sequence. That's because I had to use a different way to publish when the first way stopped working. Clicking enlarges either size.

Maine is tough at home.

UMass lost All-American Shannon James with a concussion and a shoulder injury. He may be out an extended time :( :(

Umass74
October 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Oops, just noticed a double posting on one of the images. Blogger was acting strange. The posting software would say something had not been posted and yet it would appear on the blog.

I'll try to get in to delete the extra image.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM
what kind of turf is that? astroturf?

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
what kind of turf is that? astroturf?
Yes... and it sucks.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Yes... and it sucks.

i think it takes away from the feel of the game, we have "field turf" in boone and it atleast looks a little bit real

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 01:50 PM
i think it takes away from the feel of the game, we have "field turf" in boone and it atleast looks a little bit real
It also injures quite quickly... we had a train of players walking off the field after either getting the wind knocked out of them by the turf or being injured because of the turf... I would rather play in the rain and mud then on turf.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 01:53 PM
no offense, but my high school field looked better than that, i mean...metal bleachers?

Umass74
October 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have to rise in defense of Maine.

First, you should have seen the field prior to the new stadium and surface.

Second, the surface is fast. We did get a lot of dings, but I think that is common for a team that plays and practices on grass and then goes to the hard stuff.

It's a nice stadium for what Maine does. It's new and clean.

Plus you can make lots of noise with the metal stands :)

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Plus you can make lots of noise with the metal stands :)

this i know, but no concrete foundation or anything?

Umass74
October 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM
this i know, but no concrete foundation or anything?

Nope. Lots of stadiums in the Northeast are like that. Rhode Island, the old UConn and old Boston University. UNH on the visitor's side. Colgate's home side is concrete (I believe over a steel guirder frame).

Who else did I miss?

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Nope. Lots of stadiums in the Northeast are like that. Colgate, Rhode Island, the old UConn and old Boston University. UNH on the visitor's side.

Who else did I miss?

interesting, why is that?

Umass74
October 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM
interesting, why is that?

Not sure. Probably cost. Maybe the bad weather is a factor. Concrete does not take the freeze-thaw cycle well. Tends to crumble.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Not sure. Probably cost. Maybe the bad weather is a factor. Concrete does not take the freeze-thaw cycle well. Tends to crumble.

its called frost wedging, we have the same difficulty with highways that run directly under mountain cliffs

thats why we have "falling rock" signs on the side of the road, not comforting at all

ccd494
October 24th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I think field turf is on the horizon. The plan had been to uproot the old astroturf and move it so it could still be used for field hockey/practices, and put down NexTurf.

There's really no reason to do any differently as far as seating. The home seats are pretty nice, there are individual seats higher up, luxury boxes and press boxes (both heated). No one really travels enough to necessitate better visitor seating.

Are there nicer high school fields in Texas? Probably yes, but I think that says more negatively about the educational priorities in the Lone Star state than it does about UMaine.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I think field turf is on the horizon. The plan had been to uproot the old astroturf and move it so it could still be used for field hockey/practices, and put down NexTurf.

There's really no reason to do any differently as far as seating. The home seats are pretty nice, there are individual seats higher up, luxury boxes and press boxes (both heated). No one really travels enough to necessitate better visitor seating.

Are there nicer high school fields in Texas? Probably yes, but I think that says more negatively about the educational priorities in the Lone Star state than it does about UMaine.

well, i went to HS in Raleigh, NC
the visitors side was just metal bleachers, but the home side was concrete and bleachers and a press box
and it was a year round magnet school, one of the best in the state, so education def. not a problem

Umass74
October 24th, 2005, 06:24 PM
its called frost wedging, we have the same difficulty with highways that run directly under mountain cliffs

If there's anyplace that would have frost wedging it would be Orono, ME.

Gotta love Upper New England. I live in New Hampshire and they are talking a mix of SNOW and rain Wed on the forecast. :eek:

Ten months of winter and two months of WICKED POOR skiing :)

Sam Adams
October 24th, 2005, 06:38 PM
well, i went to HS in Raleigh, NC
the visitors side was just metal bleachers, but the home side was concrete and bleachers and a press box
and it was a year round magnet school, one of the best in the state, so education def. not a problem

Well Maine is probably one of the finest states in the country both in terms of natural beauty and quality of living. Portland Maine is a great city. The University of Maine is a fantastic school, Their Hockey team kicks much butt and the Black Bear Football team went down to Starkville Mississippi last season and beat D1A Mississippi State. So who gives a hoot if they have some metal stands?

That astroturf however is a major liability - that stuff should not be allowed - way too many injuries are caused by that old school astroturf.