PDA

View Full Version : Sagarin Pre-season Patriot League Ratings

LUHawker
August 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Despite all of the informed picks of AGS posters and coaches, Sagarin has Lehigh starting out as the pre-season top rating in the Patriot League. Pre-season ratings don't mean much for performance on the field but it does give an indication of the relative strength of schedule for each team. With SOS as a major factor, the ratings seem to be in line for that metric. Here they are:

#149 Lehigh
#156 Colgate
#157 Lafayette
#161 Holy Cross
#188 Fordham
#207 Bucknell
#230 Georgetown

Ignoring for a moment the individual rating # of each school, what is really striking is how tight the top 4 are. There are 4 PL schools within a 12 point spread of each other. Given that Fordham is a top pick by many to win the league, it looks like it could be a 5 team race this year in the PL.

TheValleyRaider
August 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
The biggest surprise to me was seeing Fordham be that far behind the others, especially given their status as the favorite

I am a bit curious as to how he can put this together given so little information, but it is what it is

Should be a great year for the Patriot League xnodx

carney2
August 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'll check in with Jeff Sagarin and his ratings after he sobers up. This first pass was obviously created on the beach in Margaritaville.

ColgateTD
August 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Like TVR, I was surprised to see Lehigh rated the top team, while many posters had them in the middle of the pack. It's true that four teams are withing 12 pts of each other, but having Fordham placed 39 pts lower than the Engineers seems ludicrous.

As the man said, "it is what it is" and no more...xeyebrowx

Gater
August 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
How many (non-Fordham) posters predicted Fordham to win it last year? How many predicted Holy Cross to finish second?
The last time a team repeated as champ (and got the auto-bid) was 2001.
Not to say he's right but chances are we're wrong.

Fordham
August 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Too funny.

Sagarin kicks in around early-mid October, if memory serves correct. The formula doesn't have enough data to be useful until then.

ngineer
August 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I don't know how the guy can have a formula based upon performance for games that have not been played.xconfusedx While I like the fact that Lehigh gets some respect, having been buried this year by most, I don't see the basis for this.

bison137
August 23rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
He doesn't have a formula based upon anything when it comes to these rankings. Sagarin readily acknowledges that they are meaningless and, if it's like basketaball, they are based on some sort of average of the last few years of play for each team.

All of what you're seeing now completely drops out of his algorithm after a few weeks.

ngineer
August 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
He doesn't have a formula based upon anything when it comes to these rankings. Sagarin readily acknowledges that they are meaningless and, if it's like basketaball, they are based on some sort of average of the last few years of play for each team.

All of what you're seeing now completely drops out of his algorithm after a few weeks.

You trying to politicize this thread, now??;) :D

bison137
August 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
If I wanted to politicize it, then it would be an AlGoreithm - a procedure probably used when AG was inventing the internet. :)

The mathematical process of solving a problem that came to be known as an algorithm was actually named after a far wiser man - an Iraqi mathematician who lived well over 1000 years ago. I'm fairly sure there was global warming at that time also.

TheValleyRaider
August 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
If I wanted to politicize it, then it would be an AlGoreithm - a procedure probably used when AG was inventing the internet. :)

The mathematical process of solving a problem that came to be known as an algorithm was actually named after a far wiser man - an Iraqi mathematician who lived well over 1000 years ago. I'm fairly sure there was global warming at that time also.

But if he was in Iraq, could he really tell the difference? xwhistlex

Seawolf97
August 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Al Gore has Iraqi ancestors! No wonder went back to CLEAN IT UPxrotatehx