PDA

View Full Version : Elon Phoenix Welcome Va Tech Transfer

Phoenix87
August 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Matt Wright
http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/2006/wright.html

Huge pick up for the Phoenix.

They are listing him at 6'2" 235 lbs on the Phoenix roster.

Seawolf97
August 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Nice addition to your defense! Is he eligible right away or in 2009?

Phoenix87
August 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
eligible right away. transferred down.

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hmmm after much thought and pondering, Ive decided I'll allow it. xthumbsupx

and I am currently accepting other VaTech defensive players who want to play on a team with a real offense.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
that is pretty late for a transfer isnt it?

PaladinFan
August 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Is he a huge pickup? Or a transfer from a big name school?

Seawolf97
August 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM

and I am currently accepting other VaTech defensive players who want to play on a team with a real offense.

Dont be greedy !xlolx

Phoenix87
August 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM
huge transfer... haven't figured out the reason why he left Tech yet. He was in practice yesterday which means he will be eligible for the Richmond game

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 02:54 PM
huge transfer... haven't figured out the reason why he left Tech yet. He was in practice yesterday which means he will be eligible for the Richmond game

somebody needs to find that out... it could be as simple as he realized that he wouldnt get enough playing time or it could be much worse...

ElonPride
August 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
somebody needs to find that out... it could be as simple as he realized that he wouldnt get enough playing time or it could be much worse...

The guy was a 3 star on rivals........he probably wasn't getting enough PT, like the Rutgers tranfer last season. Lembo has done wonders to clean up the program.

WVAPPmountaineer
August 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hampton, VA and Phoebus HS (the peninsula as a whole) has great high school football and have put out some outstanding players over the last several years ---

Elon Fightin' Christians
August 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Welcome Matt Wright !!!!

elon77
August 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome Matt Wright !!!!

i second that xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
August 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Sounds like he tried Delaware St first:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=delaware-state-adds-two-transfers&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Sounds like he tried Delaware St first:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=delaware-state-adds-two-transfers&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Sounds like Delaware St....errrr Elon got a great walk-on.

PaladinFan
August 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Sounds like Delaware St....errrr Elon got a great walk-on.

Furmans had a few guys transfer from big name schools that become career backups for the Paladins. I've learned that just because a guy transfered from a big name doesn't mean they are a big name.

That said, he may well be a starter and a beast.

ElonPride
August 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Furmans had a few guys transfer from big name schools that become career backups for the Paladins. I've learned that just because a guy transfered from a big name doesn't mean they are a big name.

That said, he may well be a starter and a beast.

Exactly! We've had a couple that road the bench.....

We also had a couple that came in, produced well, then flunked out....ala John Taylor (followed Pham to Brevard)

phillyAPP
August 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM

Welcome Philly Phoenix Phan!!

From Philly APP

What part of philly are you from?

I hope your enjoying Carolina !!

IaaScribe
August 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
This kid was an academic casualty who has been off Tech's team since 2006.

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Academic casualty? He just needs a small intellectual environment to help him embrace education and foster his desire for inner growth. And if he shiavos a few running backs along the way, so be it.

Carolina was very enjoyable, beautiful weather and women, it was a great four years as a carpetbagger. But I'm workin in Philly now after growing up in Bucks county. (i needed to be around people who understood the pain of rooting for these horrendous teams)

bigred
August 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
http://dailypress2.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12972.html

Sounds like he tried to get back on the team but didn't make it. Hopefully being at a smaller school will be a good thing for him.

Eight Legger
August 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Matt Wright will be re-enacting this pose at the end of the night Aug. 30....

http://www.daylife.com/photo/08Ki9mi5AV9r8

elon77
August 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
xthumbsupx
Matt Wright will be re-enacting this pose at the end of the night Aug. 30....

http://www.daylife.com/photo/08Ki9mi5AV9r8

do you think he will be sad because he didn't get much playing time while his teammates are celebrating a victory on aug. 30?xthumbsupx xnodx

DTSpider
August 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I just hope that there's better weather than that Tech-BC game!

elon77
August 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I just hope that there's better weather than that Tech-BC game!

last year when i moved one of my chillins in on aug.30, 2007 it was 103 degrees at elon. i just hope it's not that hot for the players and fans.xnodx

DTSpider
August 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
last year when i moved one of my chillins in on aug.30, 2007 it was 103 degrees at elon. i just hope it's not that hot for the players and fans.xnodx

7pm start should help with the heat. The heat can be handled, but thunderstorms are just awful for game time. Besides the heavy rain having to exit the stadium for lightning is not fun.

seantaylor
August 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
So Elon is taking other people's washouts. Don't want to hear anything from the Phoenix fans again about GSU's transfers.

ElonPride
August 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
So Elon is taking other people's washouts. Don't want to hear anything from the Phoenix fans again about GSU's transfers.

So we get 1 every once in a while and GSU gets scholarships taken away, 8 players suspened, players arrested, players like this EVERY year etc.........

SideLine Shooter
August 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
This kid was an academic casualty who has been off Tech's team since 2006.

Well, see there, he'll fit right into Pete's System. xnodx

gophoenix
August 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM

1) Until someone shows a reliable source as the reason for his departing VPI, then I am not jumping to any conclusion. So far, other than on esports blog, there is no documented source online or in news archives saying that this guy was an academic problem.

2) Assuming he is, there's a difference between taking a recovered washout (read that as, someone who qualifies to above minimum standards) and playing people awaiting conviction or scraping the NCAA minimum overall (read GSU). After all, which team was it that lost scholarships due to APR again? Oh, that's right. GSU. xcoffeex

With that, I think it'd be wise if an eaglet fan walked away from any conversation involving anything approaching academic rigidity. xlolx

phillyAPP
August 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Academic casualty? He just needs a small intellectual environment to help him embrace education and foster his desire for inner growth. And if he shiavos a few running backs along the way, so be it.

Carolina was very enjoyable, beautiful weather and women, it was a great four years as a carpetbagger. But I'm workin in Philly now after growing up in Bucks county. (i needed to be around people who understood the pain of rooting for these horrendous teams)

You'll miss the women. Aint nothin finer !!

I grew up on main line but have the best of both worlds. I get back 1-2 times a month for work and family.

And I follow ALL the horrendous teams also, especially the EAGLES.

If you ever get down south during football season let me know, maybe app-elon game ?

phoenixphanatic21
August 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Anything to help out our depth defensively. I'll gladly welcome him to the team with open arms. :D Though I am surprised he is transferring this late in the season. Whatever. It'll be very interesting to see how quickly he picks up our defense.

ericsaid
August 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Anything to help out our depth defensively. I'll gladly welcome him to the team with open arms. :D Though I am surprised he is transferring this late in the season. Whatever. It'll be very interesting to see how quickly he picks up our defense.

What will be interesting is to see how quickly Armanti Edwards blows by him.xrulesx

elon77
August 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
What will be interesting is to see how quickly Armanti Edwards blows by him.xrulesx

By the time Elon blows into Boone know one knows what kind of shape Mr. Edwards will be in. But then again no ones knows what kind of shape the Elon defense will be in. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, lets not do too much blowing yet.xnodx