PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina letting fans call a play

SuperJon
August 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Cullowhee, N.C. - The Western Carolina University Athletic Department today announced an exciting new aspect to Catamount Football this season - the "Armchair Coaching Series," sponsored by Wal-Mart. This new feature will allow local fans the opportunity to put their creative football knowledge to use by creating their own play, with the chosen scheme to be used by the WCU coaches in a game.

That's right; the WCU coaches will actually select an offensive or defensive play submitted by fans for each home game this season.

http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082008aaa.html

OL FU
August 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1068262#post1068262

Your link is what we use to call an infinite loop in the old computer programming classesxsmiley_wix

SuperJon
August 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Haha, my computer was going slow. I clicked on the other tab, copied the address, and clicked back. Apparently it originally copied this tab instead.

Appaholic
August 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Coach Stone Cold Butterbean has already realized he is in way over his head and is looking for a life vest from the fans.......seriously though, you mean the drunken WCU fans HAVEN'T been calling the plays for the past 10 years?.....jeez....I wouldn't tell anybody that......at least THAT was understandable for their current state......

Bull Fan
August 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
I could think of (litterally) a hundred different games over the years where Hofstra fans would have loved for this opportunity to be presented to them.

The Cats
August 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Coach Stone Cold Butterbean has already realized he is in way over his head and is looking for a life vest from the fans.......

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew you'd be the first boonie to comment....... xcoffeex

patssle
August 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
If the Bearkats were playing WCU, I would do it and do a play that would result in a turnover!

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think it's a pretty cool idea.

bobbythekidd
August 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Haha, my computer was going slow. I clicked on the other tab, copied the address, and clicked back. Apparently it originally copied this tab instead.
Be glad you were not looking at something naughty on the other tab.:o

SuperJon
August 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM
If the Bearkats were playing WCU, I would do it and do a play that would result in a turnover!

Exactly.

Here's my play: QB drops back to pass. Throws to #2 in white. Don't tackle #2. He scores. Give me my tv.

Kanitapja
August 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
The quarterback he fakes to left, no no no he fakes to the right, no he doesn't fake he thinks about faking he pretends to fake...

downbythebeach
August 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
The quarterback he fakes to left, no no no he fakes to the right, no he doesn't fake he thinks about faking he pretends to fake...

What is that from again?

Waterboy?

Appaholic
August 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew you'd be the first boonie to comment....... xcoffeex

......and as soon as I posted, I knew you would be the first Cat fan crying about it.....xcoffeex ....how's the coffee?

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
wow this is a dumb idea... is this a coach who realizes there is no hope or something?... i guess he figures if you are gonna lose anyway why not be able to blame it on the fans!

Libertine
August 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM
From a fan involvement standpoint, this is a fantastic idea. From a practical football standpoint, uh, not so much.

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
The Western admin/athletic department in years past has not had the best relationship with its alums boosters, fans (and mainly) former athletes. With a lot of the recent changes I think this is one of the many things they are doing to spark interest as well as try to get some of the long term disgruntled alums back on board. There is a large generation gap among loyal supporters and fans.

I actually think it is really cool. I think the coaches will obviously pick plays that are reasonable and will use it at the right time.

The Cats
August 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
xcoffeex ....how's the coffee?

Pretty good..... thanks !!!!!!

james_lawfirm
August 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM
OK, but I thought Western's play calling has come from arm-chair QB's for the last few years anyway. Does this just make it official?

In all seriousness, that's the dumbest idea ever. Now you all can't blame the coach when you lose by 40 - it's the dumba$$ fans fault for calling a stupid play.

HickoryCat
August 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM
Coach Stone Cold Butterbean has already realized he is in way over his head and is looking for a life vest from the fans.......seriously though, you mean the drunken WCU fans HAVEN'T been calling the plays for the past 10 years?.....jeez....I wouldn't tell anybody that......at least THAT was understandable for their current state......

I plan on submitting one that I saw being run while observing a recent ASU practice. The photo below shows armonty edwards......getting ready to take the snap from crAppaholic as coach More (red hat) looks on. I think the play is called "Deliverance".

http://www.redneck-world.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/redneck-009.jpg

Skjellyfetti
August 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
I plan on submitting one that I saw being run while observing a recent ASU practice. The photo below shows armonty edwards......getting ready to take the snap from crAppaholic as coach More (red hat) looks on. I think the play is called "Deliverance".

Cullowhee, lol.

ASU88
August 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM
The photo below shows armonty edwards......getting ready to take the snap from crAppaholic as coach More (red hat) looks on. I think the play is called "Deliverance".

xlolx
Nice try
xlolx
"armonty" xlolx

Doesn't this just illustrate ... well ... you know ... xlolx

AppStateSVX
August 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM

/thread

Hood
August 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
How often do we as fans as soon as the third down play results in 4 and inches - 2 yards and we're suddenly changing "GO GO GO GO" disregarding the fact they're on their own 11 yard line?

Could you imagine if the coach just shrugs his shoulders and says "ok offense get back in there!"

I know I am pretty quick to start shouting GO in those situations no matter the field position. Usually those around join really quick.

If I had any inkling coach was listening who knows what would happen?

(and don't we just feel terrible when they do go for it on fourth down and the play gets stuffed?)

catamount man
August 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
What I love is the fact that Wagner hasn't even coached his 1st game yet and the Boone goons are looking at ANYTHING to cut him down on.

Hey, if you're scared, SAY IT!!!!!!!!

And appaholic, I may have had a few beers, but I definitely remember what you told me last Saturday.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Enjoy the view from the top.............while you can. xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
What I love is the fact that Wagner hasn't even coached his 1st game yet and the Boone goons are looking at ANYTHING to cut him down on.

Hey, if you're scared, SAY IT!!!!!!!!

And appaholic, I may have had a few beers, but I definitely remember what you told me last Saturday.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Enjoy the view from the top.............while you can. xthumbsupx

CM the Apes....errrr Apps are bashing on WCU because they are trying to keep their minds off the immanent 1-2 start that they see on the horizon.

Skjellyfetti
August 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
CM the Apes....errrr Apps are bashing on WCU because they are trying to keep their minds off the immanent 1-2 start that they see on the horizon.

1-2 start is possible. But still respectable.

Losing to a top FBS team and a top FCS team would not hurt my feelings.

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM

I can agree with your statment. It would be ok to lose two tough games...I want to see how you recover from it with the loss of some of last years key leaders and two big players on the defensive line.

The Cats
August 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM

Get ready for those "unhurt" feelings then....... xcoffeex

james_lawfirm
August 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM

HickCat:

You know, you can't really talk smack until you have a real football team. By that I mean, one that actually wins a few games every now & again.

Personally, I think Coach Wombly (or whatever his name is) needs to take speech lessons to larn to pernounce "App-a-latch-un". Surely to goodness with a little bit o' practice, he'll catch on.

Until you got one, you fellers just need to put on yer purty little helmets w/ the cat/dog thingie on it & let the fans holler out their plays so we'll all know what to expect.

Sides, ain't nothing wrong with rednecks. If Boone is full of Rednecks as you say, then the "Whee is full of Redneck Mommas.

The Cats
August 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
HickCat: .......(or whatever his name is) needs to take speech lessons to larn to pernounce "App-a-latch-un"......

Why should Coach Wagner do that when he already knows how to pronounce the word "App-a-LAY-chun" ???????? xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
August 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Why should Coach Wagner do that when he already knows how to pronounce the word "App-a-LAY-chun" ???????? xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Wow, clever. xeyebrowx We know, you base "the rest of the nation" on areas not local. That's fine, but here's its App-a-latch-un. Don't like it, pack up and ship out with another losing season.

ASUMountaineer
August 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Get ready for those "unhurt" feelings then....... xcoffeex

That's cool, maybe you're right, but 1-2 is a heck of a lot better than 1-10, concur?

ASUMountaineer
August 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM

I didn't know "armonty" was white and coach More was a woman. Your smack is weak, much like your football team. Go home newbie, your mom is ready to tuck you into bed. Can't you even try? Wait, Cullowhee High School doesn't try--they "participate."

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
That's cool, maybe you're right, but 1-2 is a heck of a lot better than 1-10, concur?

Concur. Glad that era has ended. Good luck staying on top of the SoCon.

APPALACHIANstate
August 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM

It won't matter, WCU will always be in ASU's shadows, even when ASU isn't on the top of the SoCon. Your fate is sealed and your women are men.

ASUMountaineer
August 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM

Bold prediction from the team that has won 2 times in 23 years against ASU. Honestly, I hope that era has ended. Though, I think many of your fans think it will happen this year. It's ok, we don't expect to always be on top of the SoCon, though we do expect to compete for the top every year...maybe that will be West Carolina soon.

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Bold prediction from the team that has won 2 times in 23 years against ASU. Honestly, I hope that era has ended. Though, I think many of your fans think it will happen this year. It's ok, we don't expect to always be on top of the SoCon, though we do expect to compete for the top every year...maybe that will be West Carolina soon.

I'm a bold individual

WCU LawCat
August 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM
It won't matter, WCU will always be in ASU's shadows, even when ASU isn't on the top of the SoCon. Your fate is sealed and your women are men.

Do what??? Ridiculous statement.

Bearkats94
August 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
WCU may have there first winning season and go to the playoffs thanks to the fans. It would be funny if they start using more of there fans play calling if the coach is that bad. The play book could be very large come next year because of this. Can you imagine the play book being over 10,000 pages long. I would hate to be a player. I major in football at WCU.

The Cats
August 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
....... if the coach is that bad.

The man has yet to coach his FIRST game at WCU xflaggedx xflaggedx xflaggedx

Bearkats94
August 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
OK my bad. I was just reading from the first of this thread about him.

GreatAppSt
August 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM
# 1 play recomended by Cat fans, The 'ol Duck and Cover. xnodx xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNCBears2010
August 22nd, 2008, 01:23 AM
I think the Northern Colorado coaching staff did something like this in 2006, but it was only open to kindergarteners. Seriously, that year we had a play in which the left guard was in motion.

HickoryCat
August 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
I didn't know "armonty" was white and coach More was a woman. Your smack is weak, much like your football team. Go home newbie, your mom is ready to tuck you into bed. Can't you even try? Wait, Cullowhee High School doesn't try--they "participate."

As a Boone Goon U. supporter....there's probably a lot of things you don't know.

Leave it to an ASUx fan to bring family members in to the conversation. ......and you call ME weak? HA

Saint3333
August 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
The man has yet to coach his FIRST game at WCU xflaggedx xflaggedx xflaggedx

Exactly, then why are all the WCU fans so optimistic about their program?

We've heard it before when WCU changes coaches, different year, same story.

ASUMountaineer
August 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
As a Boone Goon U. supporter....there's probably a lot of things you don't know.

Leave it to an ASUx fan to bring family members in to the conversation. ......and you call ME weak? HA

I didn't talk any smack about your mom newbie, just you. Show me the proof "armonty" is white and "More" is a woman and I'll admit I didn't know--otherwise, you're little attempt at smack still falls flat. Your smack is weak, like your football team, that I DO know. Jealousy is unbecoming young one.

At least, if you're going to talk smack Cullowhee High kid, you need to know how to spell. It is Armanti, and it is Coach Moore. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Boone Goon, that may be the most clever thing I've heard from a West Carolina supporter in a long time. :D

ASU_MBA
August 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I am sure it will be some punt formation.....that is all they know at Western

Appaholic
August 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM

And here is Hickory Cat cheering on the WCU wanna-be runningbacks as they train for the upcoming season....

Cobblestone
August 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I wish URI had done this last season when we had Stowers. Like when it was 3rd and 4 from our own 2 yard line. I certainly wouldn't have had our QB pitch the ball back into the end zone.

WCU LawCat
August 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I am sure it will be some punt formation.....that is all they know at Western

It takes a true jackazz to steal another member's signature and put some childish phrase with it. Real touch of class from the newbie. A bandwagon App fan it appears.

eaglesrback
August 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Even from an Appy fan, I dont care who ya are, that was funny!xlolx

KiddBrewer
August 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
ive wasted 6 minutes of my life reading about this...........xnonono2x xeyebrowx xnonono2x xoopsx

dont guess walmart will have to worry bout losing any HD tv's.........

catamount man
August 27th, 2008, 06:49 AM
You know I would send in a play, but knowing my luck, it would result in a loss of yards or a turnover. Again, just my luck. xthumbsupx

eaglesrthe1
August 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM
A WCU fan should submit the play at the 4:17 mark in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4KWW0iClxU

Called "Big Boy", it was designed by GSU's coach Hatcher's 7 year old son.
One thing is for sure, if you submit it and then it's run, you will certainly recognize it.