PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Big Sky power rankings

JALMOND
August 21st, 2008, 01:51 AM
With the beginning of football season coming quickly (finally), I thought it was time to roll out the preseason conference power rankings in the Big Sky. Weber State gets the season started at home against Montana-Western next Thursday, then everyone except Montana and Northern Colorado are in action on Saturday. Here are the rankings. As usual, all are my opinion and all are open for discussion. Have at it and good luck to all teams this year.

1. Eastern Washington---What? Where's Montana? Sorry Griz fans but the Eagles find their spot atop the rankings for now. Coming off a great showing in the playoffs last year and with most of the pieces in place for this year, the Eagles look strong. After being an "honorary" member of the Big 12 for the first two weeks, the Eagles should be primed for the conference slate which includes having the Griz in Cheney this year. A new coach may make things interesting, but hard not to place the Eagles at the top for now.

2. Montana---Two main reasons why the Griz are second right now, 1) Lex Hilliard and Kroy Biermann are playing in the NFL, and 2) road games on the docket at Eastern Washington and Weber State. Still, it is hard to argue with success and the Griz still can be considered dangerous with all the returnees on the team. Just when you think the Griz are rebuilding, at the end of the year there they are back on top again.

3. Weber State---For the last few years, the Wildcats had a sensational defense but had a tough time winning ball games because of the lack of an offense. Halfway through last season, they found the offense and by the end of the year, they were playing maybe the best football in the conference. What could they do with a full season? That remains to be seen, but having both the Griz and Eagles at home this year certainly helps.

4. Northern Arizona---Always a great team but uncertainty this year as the Jacks have to figure out how to replace the production left behind when Alex Watson moved on. Offense is usually not a problem in Flagstaff as the Jacks can find a way to win. Like the Griz, when you think the Jacks will have an off year, there they are at the end fighting for the top spot.

5. Montana State---With a full year under his belt at Montana State, Coach Ash got the Cats through without any major off-field incidents, and got a boost when Kempt left the program at Oregon to return home. Unfortunately, last year's starting QB, Rasmussen, left. Still, good things off the field usually lead to good things on and the Cats look to impove and return to the elite of the conference. Could this be the year?

6. Portland State---Talk about questions. The Vikings are unsure about who's playing where even a week before the season begins. The schedule helps in that they play a DII team and then have a bye week. Chances are Coach Glanville may use that first game as a tryout for most of the players. As it is, the Vikings could easily be one of the better teams in conference this year, or just as easily be one of the worst.

7. Sacramento State---The Hornets have some talent returning this year, but still may find themselves fighting to stay out of the basement. Games on the road at Montana, Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona certainly do not help matters, but the Hornets are capable of staying close and maybe squeak out a few wins.

8. Northern Colorado---Improving is the word with the Bears this year. The success they had at the end of last year should carry over this year. They got their first conference win, they avoided the cellar and they were playing quality football at the end. All this should transpire to a better overall season this year.

9. Idaho State---In a conference that is vastly improved over last season, the Bengals probably have improved the least. On top of that, it is hard to finish below where they were last year. Even improvement in the standings may be hard to come by with road games at both frontrunners Montana and Eastern Washington. Still, tradition in Pocatello will dictate that the Bengals will play hard and may surprise a few teams here and there.

As a recap, I've got EWU and UM basically in a dead heat with WSU just behind them. NAU pretty much alone in fourth, then MSU edging out PSU for fifth. At the bottom but charging are Sac State, UNC and ISU.

uofmman1122
August 21st, 2008, 02:28 AM
Solid. xnodx

I don't really know how else to describe it. I couldn't have written it better myself.

RabidRabbit
August 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Agreed. Level, and no apparent homerism. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM
balance of power shift with the montana schools 2 and 5?

very interesting...

SactoHornetFan
August 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Jalmond, I agree with most of what you wrote, however, I don't think Weber is that high, maybe 4th.

My list would be:

1) EWU
2) UM
3) MSU
t4) SAC and WSU
6) NAU
7) PSU
8) ISU
9) UNC

I think we are going to surprise many folks this year. Plus, we have always done well at NAU and EWU, even though EWU is very good this year. We played them close at home last year with an inexperienced offense.

CrazyCat
August 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Jalmond, can't really argue about anything, yet :) . I'd rather be underrated than overrated. I look forward to your power rankings during the seasonxthumbsupx and will enjoy the Bobcats steady climb to the top spot xprayx

As far as pre-season, I think 2-5 could be in many different orders and still be accurate.

Who is going to be this years Portland State (way overrated in the preseason)?

It's going to be a great year for the Big Sky and hope that we can prove to many of the doubters that we are a strong conference.

NorthernColorado
August 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
Sad thing is, 8th is the best I can hope for as a UNC fan.

catbob
August 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Good write up, except that Rasmussen never started a game for the Bobcats in his career, and he likely wasn't going to this year; hence the reason he left.

Pete's Weekly
August 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Preseason Predicted Order of Finish:

Montana
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Weber State
Montana State
Idaho State
Portland State
Sacramento State
Northern Colorado

catbob
August 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
FYI, the Cats haven't finished below 4th since 2001. Even with two average QBs in the last 2 years, and no 1,000 yard back since 2002. I see an upgrade in QB from last year, and the new turf could help Crawford be the first 1,000 yard rusher since Ryan Johnson .

Last year we had a new coach who didn't get to be here for spring ball, and we still finished 4th.

But I can understand why people are picking the Cats so low, after our late season collapse last year.

cats2506
August 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
Like CrazyCat said, I'd rather be underrated than overrated.

ASUG8
August 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Good objective writeup. I like EWU as a favorite as well, but couldn't (and wouldn't) count out UM this early on.

I Bleed Purple
August 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Woot, currently in bronze medal position.

Keeper
August 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
A thorough assessment indeed, Jalmond.

I think WSU will certainly challenge & CSS is a real sleeper.

Unfortunately, PSU is in shambles right now until Jerry
gets his own guys experience. Don't be surprised if the Vikes
lose to Western Oregon right out of the gate, a very good II team.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'd say pretty accurate, however I'd switch NAU and WSU. I think Northern Arizona is going to surprise a lot of people this year. As long as they don't surprise Eastern at home. xthumbsupx

SeattleGriz
August 22nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Great job Jalmond.

Thanks for the time you put into this.

already123
August 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I see it

EWU
Montana
NAU/WSU
MSU
SAC
PSU
UNC
ISU

Grizzaholic
August 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Jalmond, we, and I mean every Big Sky fan, appreciates the time and energy you put into your weekly break down of the conference. It is always so level headed and there is never any bias.

Great job.

TboneCat
August 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for doing this Jalmond, I have enjoyed reading your predictions and rankings for the past year.

MaroonMafia
August 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thumbs up from me Jalmond!

Wolfman
August 25th, 2008, 12:29 AM
The Griz program has been regressing yearly since Bobby "one-n-done" Hauck took the reigns. What was previously the most admired program in I-AA football has become a revolving door of IA drop-down convicts and/or misfits and one-year H.S. recruits who quickly leave the program after one season in Missoula. Hauck's self-annoited reputation as a great recruiter has been shattered by his adiction to taking any I-A problem child who has ability, and his inability to recruit great high school skill players from states where they reside (not Montana), like his predecessors did.

Most of my fellow Griz faithful simply turn their heads due to wearing maroon-colored glasses. However, they know in their hearts that I speak the truth.

The modus operandi for the current regime is to load up the schedule with as many home games as possible (7 most years) against Div. II, I-AA mid-majors, or the bottom dregs of I-AA (such a So. Utah), buy-out any away game which the team feels it may lose, and pacify the Griz fans with 10-2, 11-1, or even 12-0 records, only to lose to un-ceeded teams at home in the playoffs.

The Griz are no longer the most feared road game in all of I-AA football, under Hauck. This is a very sad time in Griz history for this Griz fan. But, I am hoping that this is our final season under this head coach. Hope springs eternal.

cats2506
August 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM
The Griz program has been regressing yearly since Bobby "one-n-done" Hauck took the reigns. What was previously the most admired program in I-AA football has become a revolving door of IA drop-down convicts and/or misfits and one-year H.S. recruits who quickly leave the program after one season in Missoula. Hauck's self-annoited reputation as a great recruiter has been shattered by his adiction to taking any I-A problem child who has ability, and his inability to recruit great high school skill players from states where they reside (not Montana), like his predecessors did.

Most of my fellow Griz faithful simply turn their heads due to wearing maroon-colored glasses. However, they know in their hearts that I speak the truth.

The modus operandi for the current regime is to load up the schedule with as many home games as possible (7 most years) against Div. II, I-AA mid-majors, or the bottom dregs of I-AA (such a So. Utah), buy-out any away game which the team feels it may lose, and pacify the Griz fans with 10-2, 11-1, or even 12-0 records, only to lose to un-ceeded teams at home in the playoffs.

The Griz are no longer the most feared road game in all of I-AA football, under Hauck. This is a very sad time in Griz history for this Griz fan. But, I am hoping that this is our final season under this head coach. Hope springs eternal.

I also think that bobby has lost considerable ground in the in state (Montana) recruiting battle in the last few years.

uofmman1122
August 25th, 2008, 01:18 AM

The Griz are no longer the most feared road game in all of I-AA football, under Hauck. This is a very sad time in Griz history for this Griz fan. But, I am hoping that this is our final season under this head coach. Hope springs eternal.xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Is there an echo in this forum?

Also, the information in your post is a little off.

1. Not only were the three best players on the Griz roster last year from Montana, they were Hauck recruits.

2. 2007 was a gift from Santa for all you whiners! xlolx Possibly the oddest year in college football history just happens to be the one that you pull your biggest gripes from. We lost to the team that beat the National Champs by one point in a game we certainly should have won.

3. It's not like Griz programs from before haven't had close games against our in-conference teams. We had several in 2001 when we won it all.

4. UMASS was seeded #3 when we lost in 2006. Also, it's tough to see a seeded team if you're also seeded, unless you make it to the Semis, and only 4 of 16 teams do, and no seeded team loses early.

5. Montana has won more playoff games under Hauck than all but two FCS schools in that same period.

I want to win the National Championship every year. Don't get me wrong! I'm just as upset about the Griz losing in the playoffs as any other Griz fan, even the ones that can't stand Hauck.

However, I don't throw a spoiled temper tantrum, without really checking into anything I'm actually saying, going on gut instinct alone, bad gut instinct to be honest, ranting and raving like a little girl at the shopping mall who can't have everything she wants, bitching and moaning that my team isn't perfect every game of every year.

Cool it, chicken little. The sky isn't falling. The Griz may have a few bad years (which I have yet to see), but we're certainly not like the picture you paint.

Truth is, I know for a fact you're gonna complain and tell us how we've been so horrible and unworthy of your praise lately, but you, just like Alpha and every other "unhappy" fan are going to cheer for the Griz just as hard as if they really were perfect because you're a Griz fan, and you can't live without it. xpeacex

Ronbo
August 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Blah, blah, blah. We have to listen to these whiners constantly. They are only about 5% of the fans but seem like the most vocal. They are the sniffling, crying babies that are satisfied with nothing less than 30-40 point wins, perfect seasons, and National Championships every year. Pull up your skirt wolfman and quit being a whining nancy boy.xsmiley_wix

Wolfman
August 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Nothing in my post was "a little off". I notice that you conveniently ignored addressing Hauck's penchant for recruiting criminals. He has signed a murderer, five players who committed armed robbery, a player who beat his girfriend into silly puddy in front of her dorm, a player who brandished a gun from a car after an altercation. And, this is the Grizzly football we have known and loved under previous coaches? We used to brag about how many academic All-Americans we produced, or, about are nationally-ranked graduation rate. Now, we annually vie for the most arrests in the nation award.

You, like so many other myopic Griz fans, will not admit that our program has become a thug-fest under Hauck. Is winning at all costs worth compromising the truth about this head coach? How many embarrassing SI articles about thugism in Montana college football programs will it take to enlighten you about the state of football at MSU and UM. At least the Cats did something about it. You simply turn the other cheek.

Your example of Hauck's recruiting Montana players did not answer my allegation about his lack of being able to recruit speed and skill players from out-of-state. Two of the three players you were referring to were defensive players, and the other had already commited to Joe Glenn before Hauck got here. So, in youir quest to discredit me for my lack of "facts", perhaps you should check out your own! Anyone who knows football understands that the state of Montana produces very few skill players capable of competing at this level. Previous coaches understood this, and recruited these skill kids from other states. A look at our RBs, CBs, and WRs is all of the evidence one should need to understand what I am saying.

So, keep you head planted firmly up your arse, like most Griz fans do, and watch the Griz program sink even further this season. All we heard from you was how we should wait until Hauck had all of HIS recruits in place, of how Glenn "left the cupboard bare". Now, we see the the results. What will be your excuses folowing this season????

"One-n-done" Bobby Hauck will once again show his stuff in 2008.

uofmman1122
August 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
2007 was a bad year for the GrizThat pretty much sums up everything you said, which I already pointed out in my last post.

Maybe if we do have a bad season in 2008, you'll finally jump off the xbandwagonx

Or maybe you should just go out and find that perfect college football team to cheer for. Protip: You're going to be looking for a long time because it doesn't exist. xlolxxpeacex

biobengal
August 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM
9. Idaho State---In a conference that is vastly improved over last season, the Bengals probably have improved the least.

Really? Improved the least? I'm curious, why do you think ISU has improved the least? No disrespect, but you probably don't have the time or knowledge to fully understand what we have in the cylinder.

biobengal
August 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Signs of improvement:

1) Year 2 of Zamberlin, a coach that has proven he can win against BSC competition with less talent.

2) Year 2 of Russell Hill, his freshman campaign was a little rocky, but he still threw for over 2,000 yards.

3) Experienced and deep at O-Line, combining for well over 50 starts.

4) Much deeper at RB, sure we lose Barnett but we gain a shifty back in Blue and FBS transfer Bird. Add in Cornist and Knickrehm and its easy to see why ISU's coaches think this is one of the deeper rotations.

5) ISU also boasts potential BSC first teamers in the secondary with Phipps and Clark. ISU HAS SOME TALENT!!!!

6) Look for the D-Line to make or break the season.... However, all 8 on the two-deep were here last year..... no learning curve!

JALMOND
August 25th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Signs of improvement:

1) Year 2 of Zamberlin, a coach that has proven he can win against BSC competition with less talent.

2) Year 2 of Russell Hill, his freshman campaign was a little rocky, but he still threw for over 2,000 yards.

3) Experienced and deep at O-Line, combining for well over 50 starts.

4) Much deeper at RB, sure we lose Barnett but we gain a shifty back in Blue and FBS transfer Bird. Add in Cornist and Knickrehm and its easy to see why ISU's coaches think this is one of the deeper rotations.

5) ISU also boasts potential BSC first teamers in the secondary with Phipps and Clark. ISU HAS SOME TALENT!!!!

6) Look for the D-Line to make or break the season.... However, all 8 on the two-deep were here last year..... no learning curve!

The Bengals have improved, yes, over last year (no disrespect but it would be hard not to). Most, if not all, the conference games on the schedule should be close and, with the right bounce, the Bengals could win some they probably should not. Compared, though, to the improvement by UNC or Sac State in the offseason, I had to place ISU at the bottom (but not too far behind). I guess I'll adopt a "wait and see" approach to ISU, as well as UNC and Sac State. I am intrigued by the early season matchup at Idaho, a team that would still be upper division in the Big Sky if they would have stayed. A win or even a competitive loss would definitely open some early season eyes on this year Bengal program.

Ronbo
August 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
A highly respected Coach once told me that a bad defense that returns 10 starters is still a bad defense.xlolx xnodx