PDA

View Full Version : GSU suspends eight players for UGA game

blueballs
August 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/14470/

Georgia Southern head football coach Chris Hatcher announced that five student-athletes are being suspended for the season-opener at Georgia and three student-athletes will miss the first two games of the 2008 season due to a violation of institutional rules.

Hatcher announced that Raja Andrews (senior WR), Charwel Brown (junior DE), Brandavious Mann (redshirt-freshman OL), Terrione Benefield (junior LB) and Damon Suggs (senior DE) will miss the season-opener at Georgia. Zeke Rozier (redshirt-freshman RB), Garryon Taylor (junior WR) and Ronnie Wiggins (junior DB) are suspended for the first two games of the season (Georgia and Austin Peay).

"To be a member of the Eagle Football program, student-athletes have specific rules to abide by. When the institution's rules are not followed then I will take immediate and appropriate action. I am disappointed to announce the suspensions concerning the respective student-athletes, but I expect all to learn from not doing right and make positive contributions to our program this season," said Hatcher.

The highlighted players would probably have been starters...

gsugt1
August 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=950&Itemid=40

asucraig33
August 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yikes! Sad news for the team and those players in particular. What a letdown to the fans too. That's some quality experience and leadership (juniors and seniors) lost when opening against the #1 team in America. I'll be pulling even harder for the guys now. xthumbsupx

jonmac
August 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Man, it appears Hatcher means business. Good for him. Hope this has a positive effect on these guys.

GOKATS
August 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Congrats to the coach for running a tight ship!xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
August 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
First, thank you for men like Coach Hatcher who does what is right, sets the proper example, and teaches along with coaching...

Second, for the GSU fans...that sucks...

And finally, for those players...learn from your mistakes...what doesn't kill you makes your stronger (if you let it)..

Hellava way to start a season....

Kill'em
August 20th, 2008, 08:21 PM
This is what amazes me. It isn't unknown that Hatcher is no nonsense and some still manage to screw up. Actually, I don't understand why college athletes, in general, are doing these stupid things. We hear it all around the country. It makes no sense.

APPALACHIANstate
August 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM
A lot of these athletes get away with behaving poorly in high school, why would they all of a sudden treat college different?

introvertedGSUfan
August 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
This is what amazes me. It isn't unknown that Hatcher is no nonsense and some still manage to screw up. Actually, I don't understand why college athletes, in general, are doing these stupid things. We hear it all around the country. It makes no sense.

I completely agree. It's sad to see Jayson Foster go, not because of his tremendous talent, but because he kept his nose so clean and was one of the few positive role models amongst collegiate football players. It's a shame to see players who should be showing some sort of leadership suspended for god knows what.

jonmac
August 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM

A good number of them have never had a man (father) guiding them and have no idea how to react. It's got to be tough on single moms to take control of a teenage kid who is twice their size and for whatever reason doesn't understand respect for others, much less themselves. And then they are handed everything because they are superior athletes. It's really not that difficult to understand until we see some that don't fit this mold behaving the same way.

hippy@GSU
August 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you Coach Hatcher for putting these players well-being and the credibility of GSU in front of W's. It will certainly hurt our chances in the next two games, but I am happy that it is a lesson that these players need to learn. Maybe an example has been set for the future. This speaks well of Hatcher and Im glad hes not a Bobby Bowden!! Go Eagles!!!

jonmac
August 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Thank you Coach Hatcher for putting these players well-being and the credibility of GSU in front of W's. It will certainly hurt our chances in the next two games, but I am happy that it is a lesson that these players need to learn. Maybe an example has been set for the future. This speaks well of Hatcher and Im glad hes not a Bobby Bowden!! Go Eagles!!!

ATTENTION CITDOG, App State is not the only SoCon school with hippies.:D xwhistlex

hippy@GSU
August 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Ha Ha

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
coach hatcher did a good thing and maybe it will open some eyes and keep your players from doing anything else stupid!

IndianaAppMan
August 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
This speaks well of Hatcher and Im glad hes not a Bobby Bowden!! Go Eagles!!!

I totally agree that Chris Hatcher did the right thing in suspending his players. I think GSU has a heck of a coach, based on listening to some of his conversations on the SoCon sports report last fall.

I disagree with the way Bobby Bowden is derogated here. It's quite unfortunate the way many of his players have not known how to stay out of trouble, but he does put the hammer down when he needs to. Peter Warrick was suspended for two games in '99 for naively believing the Dillard's store clerk when he/she said they could get a 90% discount. The suspension included the Miami game. Laverneus Coles (current Jets player) was thrown off the team since it was his second violation.

It's easy to write off FSU as the "Criminoles." I'm more apt to consider the exceptional people who rose to greatness under his leadership, including Warrick Dunn, Derrick Brooks, Charlie Ward, Mark Richt, Myron Rolle (potential NFL first-rounder AND nominee for a Rhodes Scholarship), and Christian Ponder (who finished his Bachelor's in under three years and is pursuing a Master's while maintaining eligibility). In addition, by bringing Florida State football to national prominence, he has helped the university itself rise to a far higher level of respect nationally than it had before he was there.

Bobby Bowden deserves credit for those contributions. The man certainly has his flaws; he is more lax on discipline than Hatcher, but this man is no Barry Switzer or Jimmy Johnson.

ASUG8
August 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM

Classy but difficult decision to make xbowx - this "tough love" will maybe make any other would be issues get a second thought from these guys and their teammates. I hate it for GSU not to be at full strength for UGA, but they'll be better for it as they get into the SoCon season. Congrats on securing a solid coach!

813Jag
August 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
I totally agree that Chris Hatcher did the right thing in suspending his players. I think GSU has a heck of a coach, based on listening to some of his conversations on the SoCon sports report last fall.

I disagree with the way Bobby Bowden is derogated here. It's quite unfortunate the way many of his players have not known how to stay out of trouble, but he does put the hammer down when he needs to. Peter Warrick was suspended for two games in '99 for naively believing the Dillard's store clerk when he/she said they could get a 90% discount. The suspension included the Miami game. Laverneus Coles (current Jets player) was thrown off the team since it was his second violation.

It's easy to write off FSU as the "Criminoles." I'm more apt to consider the exceptional people who rose to greatness under his leadership, including Warrick Dunn, Derrick Brooks, Charlie Ward, Mark Richt, Myron Rolle (potential NFL first-rounder AND nominee for a Rhodes Scholarship), and Christian Ponder (who finished his Bachelor's in under three years and is pursuing a Master's while maintaining eligibility). In addition, by bringing Florida State football to national prominence, he has helped the university itself rise to a far higher level of respect nationally than it had before he was there.

Bobby Bowden deserves credit for those contributions. The man certainly has his flaws; he is more lax on discipline than Hatcher, but this man is no Barry Switzer or Jimmy Johnson.
xreadx I'm not going to hijack this thread.

nick9c
August 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking with all these UGA and Georgia Southern player arrests/suspensions, this matchup might be better suited in a prison yard somewhere. I think the Central State Prison in Macon would be a good neutral site. xlolx

ronpayne
August 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM
A lot of these athletes get away with behaving poorly in high school, why would they all of a sudden treat college different?

Well spoken.... as a former HS teacher, you said it perfect. I could rant here about how HS's are letting their kids down by not allowing teachers to discipline students, but I won't go there. Point well made!

Congrats to GSU who has a coach willing to make the right choices, and even better if the AD and school back him up! Hope they all learn for their future choices.

bobbythekidd
August 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
It stayed off of here for almost 24 hours. Not bad.

Think about what a strong message this sends to the players. This might be the biggest game they will ever play in. The build up to it has been years in the making, and b/c of one poor decision they are going to watch it at the sports bar. It's too late for them to even get tickets.

The message that CH does not allow tom foolery has been delivered.

jonmac
August 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
I'm thinking with all these UGA and Georgia Southern player arrests/suspensions, this matchup might be better suited in a prison yard somewhere. I think the Central State Prison in Macon would be a good neutral site. xlolx

"The Longest Yard II, Between the Hedges"

Seriously though, I think both teams have the right coaches to get it cleaned up.

Eaglesrus
August 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM

Think about what a strong message this sends to the players. This might be the biggest game they will ever play in. The build up to it has been years in the making, and b/c of one poor decision they are going to watch it at the sports bar. It's too late for them to even get tickets.

I was at a luncheon that Hatcher spoke at today. He said some of the guys involved asked if the suspensions couldn't be for another game. We obviously know what the answer was. He also made a plea to the audience to understand that these are 18 to 22 year old kids and questioned how many of us didn't do anything while in college that we aren't real proud of. In other words, we don't know why they were suspended, so please don't just completely write them off as hardcore bad guys based on a one or two game suspension. Hearing him talk, I for one am completely convinced that we can rely on Hatcher to take appropriate steps whenever there is a problem. I just hope that we can keep him around for a while.

Syntax Error
August 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
The message that CH does not allow tom foolery has been delivered.LOUD AND CLEAR HATCH ATTACK! xbowx

introvertedGSUfan
August 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM

I think he sent that message last year when he suspended a few starts from that last game at Colorado State (had we won, we would have more than likely received a playoff bid).

ASUTed
August 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
A good number of them have never had a man (father) guiding them and have no idea how to react. It's got to be tough on single moms to take control of a teenage kid who is twice their size and for whatever reason doesn't understand respect for others, much less themselves. And then they are handed everything because they are superior athletes. It's really not that difficult to understand until we see some that don't fit this mold behaving the same way.

I agree somewhat with your point. However, I don't agree with you making excuses for these players. They know right from wrong, they should be held accountable.

ericsaid
August 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM
My guess is marijuana.(Shouldn't be suspended for anyway but thats what it sounds like.) For 8 players to be suspended 2 games right before the season. DRUG TEST.

elcid96
August 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
UGA needs to suspend 3 more to pull ahead on suspensions.

jonmac
August 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
I agree somewhat with your point. However, I don't agree with you making excuses for these players. They know right from wrong, they should be held accountable.

Sorry if I misled, no excuse for poor behavior. But reasons are different than excuses. Never having been held accountable is the reason they made poor decisions and behaved poorly. And I never said they should not be held accountable or at least I didn't mean to. Knowing right from wrong doesn't in itself always make us make the right decision. That's why the prison in which I work and most others are full and people are waiting to get in.

Skjellyfetti
August 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
punk thugs.

Stay class, Sand Diego. xrolleyesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
This certainly hurts GSU's depth, but there is no one in this list of players (with the possible exception of Rozier, the running back) that we can't replace with someone nearly or equally talented. The big question is who is going to start at RB for us. We just might be going with true freshman Leander Barney.

And for those of you self-righteous people (surprisingly most everyone in this thread isn't that way), Coach Hatcher has disciplined more players last season and this off season than many coaches have in the last 5 years. His disciplining killed our defense late season last year and might have cost us a spot in the playoffs. Coach Hatcher doesn't require that players get a misdemeanor before they get disciplined. Many FCS and FBS schools would have this many suspensions or more if they had a coach as strict as CH.

jonmac
August 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
This certainly hurts GSU's depth, but there is no one in this list of players (with the possible exception of Rozier, the running back) that we can't replace with someone nearly or equally talented. The big question is who is going to start at RB for us. We just might be going with true freshman Leander Barney.

And for those of you self-righteous people (surprisingly most everyone in this thread isn't that way), Coach Hatcher has disciplined more players last season and this off season than many coaches have in the last 5 years. His disciplining killed our defense late season last year and might have cost us a spot in the playoffs. Coach Hatcher doesn't require that players get a misdemeanor before they get disciplined. Many FCS and FBS schools would have this many suspensions or more if they had a coach as strict as CH.

You are very right, sir. It's refreshing to see a coach do what Hatcher is doing. May hurt in the short term but will payoff huge in the long run, depending on how long you're able keep him, as was mentioned earlier.

hippy@GSU
August 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
True, Bowden has done marvelous things for FSU, but the idea of him being a very bendable coach didnt start from dust.

hippy@GSU
August 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM

True. Bowden has accomplished amazing things at FSU and he has flaws along with every other coach, but his reputation as a very bendable coach did not rise from dust. In making his many questionable decisions in the past he opened the door for criticism.

ngineer
August 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
I'm impressed by Hatcher's decision. Sends a good message for the team..and for those who follow it. ATTENTION DICK BIDDLE!

Scooter
August 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
I agree that Hatcher did the right thing. We need more coaches to step up and take a stand.

813Jag
August 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
True. Bowden has accomplished amazing things at FSU and he has flaws along with every other coach, but his reputation as a very bendable coach did not rise from dust. In making his many questionable decisions in the past he opened the door for criticism.
Reps for you! xthumbsupx

appmaj
August 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
This sucks. I am still hoping GSU gives Georgia a good run. I have a guy in my office (and i know he doesn't represent all Georgia fans) but he has made me hate Georgia. He is always dissing FCS teams.

trusty
August 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
This sucks. I am still hoping GSU gives Georgia a good run. I have a guy in my office (and i know he doesn't represent all Georgia fans) but he has made me hate Georgia. He is always dissing FCS teams.

I am sure he is just like the majority of thUGA fans.

jonmac
August 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
I am sure he is just like the majority of thUGA fans.

And the majority of most FBS/BCS fans. And aren't we a little like that with DII, DIII and NAIA? It's mostly ignorance, along with a little validity.

BisonBabe
August 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
It is refreshing when Coaches enforce school/team rules. This lets the players know up front that if they break the rules they will be penalized. Well done coach well done.

JDC325
August 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM

Not all but a HUGE % of them.

JDC325
August 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
And the majority of most FBS/BCS fans. And aren't we a little like that with DII, DIII and NAIA? It's mostly ignorance, along with a little validity.

Allthough there is some I do not think it is anywhere near the same level. We played W. GA last year and I do not remember any trash talking like you hear from thUGA fans. The only reason I do not want to play DIV II teams is the due to the playoffs. Even if you win it does not count towards eligibility. On the other hand a FBS playing a FCS does not hurt there bowl eligibility.

SoCon48
August 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Allthough there is some I do not think it is anywhere near the same level. We played W. GA last year and I do not remember any trash talking like you hear from thUGA fans. The only reason I do not want to play DIV II teams is the due to the playoffs. Even if you win it does not count towards eligibility. On the other hand a FBS playing a FCS does not hurt there bowl eligibility.

Unless they lose.

Kill'em
August 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
My guess is marijuana.(Shouldn't be suspended for anyway but thats what it sounds like.) For 8 players to be suspended 2 games right before the season. DRUG TEST.

Actually, these suspensions were for transgressions during spring semester. He didn't announce them until recently. I imagine it was to take away a lot of distraction from a young team. If so, good move. We will never know what these young men did, Coach will not divulge that information. Again, good move.

walliver
August 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I think he did the right thing, but ...

I doubt it will affect the outcome of either game.

It is extremely unlikely that GSU would beat UGA. And, GSU will still be a heavy favorite against Austin Powers (Peay)