PDA

View Full Version : James Madison @ Duke

WileECoyote06
August 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Although I think JMU can take out Duke, best believe the Devils are really trying to get into this season and do NOT want to lose to the other Dukes!

appfan2008
August 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It sure is a big deal around the triangle how Duke is turning their program around... should be a tough game for both sides

mcveyrl
August 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
It will definitely be a tough one for both teams.

But if we beat Duke and then beat NCCU, do we get "Durham City Champs" rings?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Quit talking like the Spider fans. You are embarrassing all of us! xlolx xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
August 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM

I work at the city hall in Durham so while the team is down here I will see what I can do! :D

WileECoyote06
August 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Nah you have to beat the Durham Eagles Pop Warner team too! Go other Eagles!

appfan2008
August 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Nah you have to beat the Durham Eagles Pop Warner team too! Go other Eagles!

Oh but they are undefeated... beat central and duke last week in scrimmages!

elcid96
August 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
JMU should really win this game

ASUMountaineer
August 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I am pulling for the Dukes, demolish Puke.

ericsaid
August 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
31-21. Either team, with the new coach from Tennessee and new AD from Notre Dame, neither want to start off by losing to James Madison and I think my score prediction could go for either team but more people are excited about Duke football and it should be interesting. In another 4 years i'd take Duke everytime but for right now its up for grabs.

biggie
August 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I think JMU should win and could even be considered a favorite. The first year I do not think that the Dook program can be turned around that quickly. I would almost say if JMU loses it could set a bad tone to the rest of their season or at least for the following games (UMass, then App).

Hoboken Dukes
August 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
would feel a lot better about this game if it weren't the 1st one under a new coach - the players will be ready to run thru walls for him - and duke didn't return so many players. but i think we'll def give them a good game.

got the RV all lined up to drive down from 'nova on friday afternoon. staying in chapel hill (great time there last year for UNC game) and then getting started early on saturday. only issue is kick is at 7 pm and they say lots only open 4 hours ahead of time, got a call into the ticket office to determine if this is a hard and fast rule. if it is, gonna scope a spot nearby to get things started before hitting the lots at 3 pm sharp.

aust42
August 20th, 2008, 03:56 PM
JMU should win this game. Duke is the 5th best team on JMU's schedule.

phoenix3
August 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I think JMU should win and could even be considered a favorite. The first year I do not think that the Dook program can be turned around that quickly. I would almost say if JMU loses it could set a bad tone to the rest of their season or at least for the following games (UMass, then App).

The only thing that will be better about this year's Duke team versus last is their attitude. I will step out on a limb and say that JMU should be an overwhelming favorite.

jonmac
August 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
JMU is my favorite in this one. Just not sure Cutcliffe can have 'em ready to beat a well established, experienced team like the Dukes. Not sure where I stand about how I prefer JMU to start the season though. A couple of losses before us could just piss them off and make them want us even more(if possible) or have them down and out. All wins could have them riding high and overconfident or on a roll. It's tough being a Moutaineer when everything revolves around us.xsmiley_wix

DFW HOYA
August 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Let's leave the blinders off for a moment. This isn't an overconfident Michigan team--a coach like Cutcliffe will have this team more than ready to play, and Duke needs this one more than we think.

Duke 28, JMU 20.

SoCon48
August 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
If JMU does not beat Duke, my worries about the Apps vs JMU go down somewhere around 1000%!

ERASU2113
August 20th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Thaddeus Lewis, a senior QB at Duke should be the only real danger from JMU. Having a former QB coach - Peyton, Eli and so on - should help.

But Duke should lose......easily.

IndianaAppMan
August 20th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Go Dukes!

Boo Duke!

I sure JMU wins this game, otherwise it just reaffirms the [highly erroneous] notion that the FCS is vastly inferior to FBS. IMO, Madison is one of the five most likely teams to win the national title, whereas Duke is terrible. I know Cutcliffe will light a fire under his players and will make them better eventually, but if JMU doesn't win this, we FCS fans will have to answer this question from the naysayers: "If your level of football is any good, why couldn't one of your best teams beat one of the worst 1-A teams of this decade?"

JMU can and should win this game. Furman (vs. Va. Tech), Ga. Southern (vs. UGA), & App (vs. LSU) are all under far less pressure.

IndianaAppMan
August 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Let's leave the blinders off for a moment. This isn't an overconfident Michigan team--a coach like Cutcliffe will have this team more than ready to play, and Duke needs this one more than we think.

Duke 28, JMU 20.

Yeah, the reason Michigan lost was overconfidence. xrolleyesx Forget that they were slower (couldn't catch speedy Armanti or Dexter Jackson). Forget that they went three-and-out late in the fourth quarter when they led by only one. Forget that they blamed penalties (50 yards isn't too much to overcome for a powerhouse like Michigan against a "lowly" 1AA team). Forget that they blamed turnovers (App turned the ball over 3 times; Michigan only twice).

Michigan didn't lose the game because of overconfidence. They lost the game because they couldn't defend the spread offense, especially in passes over the middle of the field. Jerry Moore discovered that was their weakness in watching film on them, so ASU attacked that all day long. Michigan was still a pretty good team (not great) last year, but on game day, Appalachian was better.

There's no reason that an experienced, talented JMU team can't also exploit Duke's many more weaknesses. It may be a dog fight because Duke has 22 more scholarship players to substitute in, but I expect JMU to win by at least a touchdown. JMU 34 Duke 27.

X-Factor
August 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
If JMU wants to be a #1 or #2 team in FCS they had better be able to beat Duke, and beat them soundly. I'm thinking this one should not even be close at all.

The real Dukes 35
Dook 17

is as close as this game is going to be.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
would feel a lot better about this game if it weren't the 1st one under a new coach - the players will be ready to run thru walls for him - and duke didn't return so many players. but i think we'll def give them a good game.

got the RV all lined up to drive down from 'nova on friday afternoon. staying in chapel hill (great time there last year for UNC game) and then getting started early on saturday. only issue is kick is at 7 pm and they say lots only open 4 hours ahead of time, got a call into the ticket office to determine if this is a hard and fast rule. if it is, gonna scope a spot nearby to get things started before hitting the lots at 3 pm sharp.

that is a hard fast rule... i will be coming to the game in the second half after the asu/lsu game raps up... so maybe i will see some of you there...

my little brother is in the duke marching band and i have an aunt and one set of grandparents who have season tickets to all things duke... my parents will be in town (duke grads) as well as my other set of grandparents all to see my little brother march (he is the lone tuba in the Duke University Marching Band or D.U.M.B. as they call it) my family was disappointed that my wife and i wouldnt be coming to the whole game but i said hey i cant miss watching asu/lsu!

PurpleandGold
August 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
JMU certainly has the capacity to beat Duke, but lets not start thinking that it's a foregone conclusion and that JMU sucks and will have a terrible season if they lose. The fact is that beating Duke counts little toward an FCS title, but if we put it all out there, open up the playbook for all to see, and potentially lose a few key players to injuries in order to win, that will go a long way toward missing an FCS title.

I sure hope we get the W, but if I were Mickey, I wouldn't pay more than it's worth. I'd rather lose to Duke and finish the season 14-1.

Touchdown Yosef
August 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
I think the Dukes need to win this game, I think many of their CAA teams and App will put a better product on the field than Duke will. Mickey needs to take them into this game with the confidence to win and their should be no reason to leave that game without a win. I would also imagine JMU will want to redeem themselves a little for their performance at another sub par ACC program's stadium last year.

Good luck JMU I would be disappointed with anything less than a comfortable win.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
what if jmu starts 0-3... hey it could happen with that opening schedule...

PurpleandGold
August 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
I will cry.

McNeese75
August 21st, 2008, 08:51 AM
I wish the Duke and UNC games were played at different times or days which would allow us to go cheer for JMU.

JmuSkinsfan
August 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM

You won't give us a win against UNC C?

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
my bad... i thought your first three games were duke mass and asu... forgot about central... ok you wont be 0-3!

elon77
August 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
that is a hard fast rule... i will be coming to the game in the second half after the asu/lsu game raps up... so maybe i will see some of you there...

my little brother is in the duke marching band and i have an aunt and one set of grandparents who have season tickets to all things duke... my parents will be in town (duke grads) as well as my other set of grandparents all to see my little brother march (he is the lone tuba in the Duke University Marching Band or D.U.M.B. as they call it) my family was disappointed that my wife and i wouldnt be coming to the whole game but i said hey i cant miss watching asu/lsu!

hey, everyone should drive a little further and check out the Elon Richmond game. It should be a good one. Maybe the best one of the weekend.xnodx

Eight Legger
August 21st, 2008, 09:38 AM
I'm giving this one to Duke, 35-31.

ericsaid
August 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
Duke is still a BCS league team with more 3 star and 4 star athletes than JMU could hope to have. Cutliffe will bring out the best in them and will not let them lose this game. 31-21 Duke.

grayghost06
August 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Duke is still a BCS league team with more 3 star and 4 star athletes than JMU could hope to have. Cutliffe will bring out the best in them and will not let them lose this game. 31-21 Duke.

There may be some merit to what you say...Even as sad as Duke is, their roster as a whole was more highly thought of coming out of high school ( and they have 22 more scholarship players to choose from for depth). That having been said, if a top 5 FCS team can't beat a bottom 10 FBS team, then we followers of championship subdivision football will have little to crow about.
I mean seriously, this is Duke...Sure, they've made a good hire in Cutliffe- but that will pay dividends when his players matriculate. If ever there was a game where the oddsmakers would be tempted to make an FCS a favorite over a BCS, this would be it. ( currently Duke - 1.5 ). End of year Sagarins would have us as a 6 point favorite and I'll wager when they come out this year, we'll be ranked higher... Heat and fatigue, always a FCS killer, should be minimized by the 7:00 start and homefield advantage is nothing we haven't seen before. We have 16 starters back ( incl. Holloman) and the knowledge that we should have beaten Appy in our last game.
Richmond, Appy, New Hampshire, Villanova, NDSU etc have all beaten BCS teams...all of whom were equal to or better than Duke...Why the heck can't we??? Our biggest obstacle will be ourselves- playing the game conservatively and NOT to win. And that would truly be a shame!

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
There may be some merit to what you say...Even as sad as Duke is, their roster as a whole was more highly thought of coming out of high school ( and they have 22 more scholarship players to choose from for depth). That having been said, if a top 5 FCS team can't beat a bottom 10 FBS team, then we followers of championship subdivision football will have little to crow about.
I mean seriously, this is Duke...Sure, they've made a good hire in Cutliffe- but that will pay dividends when his players matriculate. If ever there was a game where the oddsmakers would be tempted to make an FCS a favorite over a BCS, this would be it. ( currently Duke - 1.5 ). End of year Sagarins would have us as a 6 point favorite and I'll wager when they come out this year, we'll be ranked higher... Heat and fatigue, always a FCS killer, should be minimized by the 7:00 start and homefield advantage is nothing we haven't seen before. We have 16 starters back ( incl. Holloman) and the knowledge that we should have beaten Appy in our last game.
Richmond, Appy, New Hampshire, Villanova, NDSU etc have all beaten BCS teams...all of whom were equal to or better than Duke...Why the heck can't we??? Our biggest obstacle will be ourselves- playing the game conservatively and NOT to win. And that would truly be a shame!

obviously the last couple of years this has been true but looking in to the future I dont think that there position as a bottom 10 will continue... just my guess...

grayghost06
August 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
obviously the last couple of years this has been true but looking in to the future I dont think that there position as a bottom 10 will continue... just my guess...

I agree, though for them to improve in the ACC, someone is going to have to drop down. Duke can only improve their ACC lot at the expense of someone elses' peril...Who will that team be? My guesses are NC State and GT

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
this year it will certainly be gt... i dont think maryland, ncst, bc or uva will be very good... i also dont think miami or unc will be as good as people think... not saying duke will be better than any of those teams but there is a possibility they will be better than a few...

yes i only left out a few... they will not be better than fsu, clem, vt, or wake...

aust42
August 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM

BCS Duke is a horrible football program, no matter who the coach is or has been over it's history. It's a basketball school with no football tradition that will never compete with their conference brothers in football. They are 12-82 in the 2000's including three winnless seasons. 33-77 in the '90's, 50-63 in the '80's, 45-60 in the '70's.

Duke was shut out by Richmod 13-0 in 2006 however they did beat a couple very bad 1AA teams in recent history. The Citadel 28-10 in 2004 and Western Carolina 29-3 in 2003.

IMO, JMU is more on par with the Richmond squad that whupped Duke and JMU will whup Duke 28-10.

ericsaid
August 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
BCS Duke is a horrible football program, no matter who the coach is or has been over it's history. It's a basketball school with no football tradition that will never compete with their conference brothers in football. They are 12-82 in the 2000's including three winnless seasons. 33-77 in the '90's, 50-63 in the '80's, 45-60 in the '70's.

Duke was shut out by Richmod 13-0 in 2006 however they did beat a couple very bad 1AA teams in recent history. The Citadel 28-10 in 2004 and Western Carolina 29-3 in 2003.

IMO, JMU is more on par with the Richmond squad that whupped Duke and JMU will whup Duke 28-10.

The score was 10-0 BTW.xrulesx

bluehenbillk
August 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
If you look at JMU's schedule they can come right out of the gates and carry a #1 ranking most of the season. Or on the other hand they can be facing playoff elimination really early on.

No predictions but they historically don't play well against FBS teams.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 01:06 PM

really? and why did you stop in the 70's? obviously football goes farther back than that!

54-44-3 in the 60's
62-33-7 in the 50's
59-28-5 in the 40's
77-17-5 in the 30's

duke went to the cotton bowl in the 60's the orange bowl twice in the 50's the sugar in the 40's and the rose in the 30's
on january 1, 1942 the rose bowl was moved to durham in response to the recent attacks on pearl harbor... this is the only time in history that the rose bowl was anywhere other than pasadena... roses were planted on the edge of wallace wade stadium next to cameron indoor stadium at the time and are still there today and bloom every year...
in 1939 the team went undefeated and unscored upon until the rose bowl when they lost 7-3 to oregon on the last play...

to say that duke football has NO tradition is a little absurd and shows a true lack of knowledge of college football...

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
The score was 10-0 BTW.xrulesx

it was 13-0 i just looked it up... xrulesx

ericsaid
August 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
it was 13-0 i just looked it up... xrulesx

Never payed much attention to that game, just saw the score scroll across on ESPNs bottomline and the last I saw was 10 zip. I apologize.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
well it was like three years ago im surprised you remember anything that long... especially off the bottom line scroll

IndianaAppMan
August 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
really? and why did you stop in the 70's? obviously football goes farther back than that!

54-44-3 in the 60's
62-33-7 in the 50's
59-28-5 in the 40's
77-17-5 in the 30's

duke went to the cotton bowl in the 60's the orange bowl twice in the 50's the sugar in the 40's and the rose in the 30's
on january 1, 1942 the rose bowl was moved to durham in response to the recent attacks on pearl harbor... this is the only time in history that the rose bowl was anywhere other than pasadena... roses were planted on the edge of wallace wade stadium next to cameron indoor stadium at the time and are still there today and bloom every year...
in 1939 the team went undefeated and unscored upon until the rose bowl when they lost 7-3 to oregon on the last play...

to say that duke football has NO tradition is a little absurd and shows a true lack of knowledge of college football...

while what you say is factual, saying that duke football has tradition is an extreme stretch. with the exception of the good '94 team and the Spurrier teams, they have been terrible as long as their current roster has been alive. their 21-year-olds were 7 the last time was good. in their memories, duke has no tradition. even worse, my 60-YEAR-OLD DAD, who is a Master's alum of Duke in the 70's, has had next to zero experiences of witnessing success from Duke football. the majority of his life, duke football has been dismal, and as far as "tradition" goes, that does unfortunately count more than what was done 40+ years ago.

duke's accomplishments of yesteryear should never be dismissed. rather, they should be honored. i sure hope that if ASU football goes through a sizable drought of losing years down the road that the Jerry Moore years will not be dismissed, but it wouldn't be unfair to say that the tradition is gone.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM
while what you say is factual, saying that duke football has tradition is an extreme stretch. with the exception of the good '94 team and the Spurrier teams, they have been terrible as long as their current roster has been alive. their 21-year-olds were 7 the last time was good. in their memories, duke has no tradition. even worse, my 60-YEAR-OLD DAD, who is a Master's alum of Duke in the 70's, has had next to zero experiences of witnessing success from Duke football. the majority of his life, duke football has been dismal, and as far as "tradition" goes, that does unfortunately count more than what was done 40+ years ago.

duke's accomplishments of yesteryear should never be dismissed. rather, they should be honored. i sure hope that if ASU football goes through a sizable drought of losing years down the road that the Jerry Moore years will not be dismissed, but it wouldn't be unfair to say that the tradition is gone.

wow that is really sad that you feel the way you do... i was really enjoying you as an addition to this site but i am not so sure anymore...

an extreme stretch to say they have tradition isnt even worth commenting on... just ridiculous...

my grandfather born in 1925 has never missed a home duke game since childhood other than time in Europe for WWII...he is born and raised and retired in Durham... as with my grandmother who attended duke and was class of 51... they tell me stories all the time of the great players, the great coaches, the great crowds, the excitement, how they used to put in temporary bleachers around the top of the stadium and in the open end of the endzone to accomodate all the fans... my father (class of 79 and mom class of 82 doesnt care about sports period) tells me about how growing up in durham it was one of his favorite activities to where his scout uniform to wallace wade stadium just to get in free and be an usher... they sit around and take about the teams that were ranked in the top ten... papa remembers waving to the team as they rode away on the train to the 39 rose bowl the first time most of the players had been west of the mississippi... wallace wade left ALABAMA after winning a couple of national championships there to become the coach at duke...
all of these things add up to one thing... tradition... has the teams sucked for years and have i been to games where i leave feeling depressed an shocked at how bad they are? sure...

but that is not the argument... the point is they have TRADITION...

Hoboken Dukes
August 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM

thanks for the heads-up that they won't let anyone in prior to 3 pm. do you happen to know if they have any specific lots for rv's, or are we allowed to just park wherever right at 3?

lastly, do you know of anyplace nearby where we can roll up and get the day started and then cruise right in at 3? someplace with some outdoor space and what not?

we'll be staying in chapel hill on franklin street and would rather drink outdoors and watch football on our tv/satellite than sit in a bar like last year prior to the jmu/unc game.

the issue w/ the jmu/unc game last year was that we played very nervous the first 1.5 quarters, to the point where we said before the game just don't let them throw a long bomb on us early and we'll be fine. sure enough, 2nd or 3rd play and it was 65 yards for a td. couple more quick turnovers, including a killer right before the half, and that was it.

the issue was that with butch davis the newly minted coach, the place was jumping. i'd imagine, even for duke, that they'll have a good crowd. now, atmosphere should not be a reason why we lose this game, i'm just saying i'd feel much more comfortable if this team wasn't coming in with the "clean slate" that accompanies a regime change. mentally, duke feels they SHOULD win this game, whereas i'd venture to say they'd only think they COULD win it last year.

i think the issue some on here have with us jmu fans being very cautious is that many don't want to see jmu lose to a terrible fbs team and then come back and beat the appy's/ur's/ud's of the fcs world as it would reflect badly upon them.

trust me, we appreciate the support and the positive predictions, but it's gonna be a fight down there i think.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
25 dollars for rv's... i would suggest parking in one of the lots on wannamaker drive... with your rv you can only enter wannamaker from the intersection with duke university road... if you park in one of those public lots you will already be on the away side for the game and that is generally the side with more of the away fans anyway...

Hoboken Dukes
August 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
25 dollars for rv's... i would suggest parking in one of the lots on wannamaker drive... with your rv you can only enter wannamaker from the intersection with duke university road... if you park in one of those public lots you will already be on the away side for the game and that is generally the side with more of the away fans anyway...

you the man dude. been waiting for answers from duke for 3 days now. yeah, we now it's $25, just wanted to make sure that we didn't have to pay ahead of time. and that's exactly where we want to park, the lot right on wannamaker between duke and towerview road. the "official" (see: non alcoholic) jmu tailgate is in the intramural building just off wannamaker closer to the stadium, so we're gonna park there right at 3.

thanks again dude. if you swing up to the 'burg for the jmu/appy game, feel free to swing past our establishment for a beer. but only 1, cause the natives will be restless for that one and i don't want to lose my rooting priviledges :)

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
you the man dude. been waiting for answers from duke for 3 days now. yeah, we now it's $25, just wanted to make sure that we didn't have to pay ahead of time. and that's exactly where we want to park, the lot right on wannamaker between duke and towerview road. the "official" (see: non alcoholic) jmu tailgate is in the intramural building just off wannamaker closer to the stadium, so we're gonna park there right at 3.

thanks again dude. if you swing up to the 'burg for the jmu/appy game, feel free to swing past our establishment for a beer. but only 1, cause the natives will be restless for that one and i don't want to lose my rooting priviledges :)

thanks... if you participate in the tailgate in the IM building you will be amazed at how ugly it is on the inside... about ten years ago when i was going to duke basketball camp every year the floor was blue and it was a really weird surface... my mind is blanking on me currently though on what it is called... trust me we couldnt wait to play games in cameron compared to that place!

IndianaAppMan
August 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
wow that is really sad that you feel the way you do... i was really enjoying you as an addition to this site but i am not so sure anymore...

That seems like a personal, completely unnecessary personal attack.

It's great that you have strong family ties to Duke & Duke football. Clearly you looked past the things I said about Duke's glory days from the 60's and before. It's been terrible since then, and my hat goes off to anyone who supports a team through thick and thin.

I don't want to hurt your feelings or offend your family. By the same token I do not expect to be attacked on this public forum for simply pointing out the obvious, which is that the tradition for Duke for 30 years, sad as it is, is losing.

Losing doesn't erase their history or true fans' loyalty, but it does change the tradition. Maybe Cutcliffe will resurrect that tradition (again, I'm talking about winning, not fans' tradition or anything else), but who can deny that the tradition of winning has been dormant for as long as people can remember.

A private message or something is more appropriate if you're that upset. I always choose my words carefully. If I offended you I'm sorry. Don't write me off.

appfan2008
August 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Losing doesn't erase their history or true fans' loyalty, but it does change the tradition. Maybe Cutcliffe will resurrect that tradition (again, I'm talking about winning, not fans' tradition or anything else), but who can deny that the tradition of winning has been dormant for as long as people can remember.

You were claiming there is NO TRADITION at Duke... Correct?
now you are saying Cutcliffe can ressurrect that tradition? that doesnt even make sense...

Henwatcher
August 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Gentlemen, JMU wins this one EASILY.

IndianaAppMan
August 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM

You were claiming there is NO TRADITION at Duke... Correct?
now you are saying Cutcliffe can ressurrect that tradition? that doesnt even make sense...

Dude, I PM'd you. We shouldn't be hijacking this thread.

Cut out the personal attacks.

Hoboken Dukes
August 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
thanks... if you participate in the tailgate in the IM building you will be amazed at how ugly it is on the inside... about ten years ago when i was going to duke basketball camp every year the floor was blue and it was a really weird surface... my mind is blanking on me currently though on what it is called... trust me we couldnt wait to play games in cameron compared to that place!

last thing, any word on if kegs are allowed?

aust42
August 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM

54-44-3 in the 60's
62-33-7 in the 50's
59-28-5 in the 40's
77-17-5 in the 30's

Sorry I should have continued past the 1970's. I believe your math is off according to the site I'm looking at for historical scores but they did do a bit better in those decades you note. In summary Duke had THREE winning seasons in the '60's, THREE winning seasons in the '50's. Not sure about the '40's since I can only find info after WWII and I'm too lazy to research how bad Duke was during the leather helmut days.

So you really think Duke has some sort of tradition for making 7 bowl games in it's 50+ years of football? Their 2-5 in those bowl games the last win was in the 1960 Orange Bowl, and the last Bowl game was the 1994 Hall of Fame Bowl. Actually, Duke lost to USC in the 1939 Rose Bowl 7-3 not Oregon (They lost to Oregon State in the 1942 Rose Bowl). The only traditional trend I see for Duke football is bad football.

WileECoyote06
August 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
You won't give us a win against UNC C?

That's NCCU. UNC-C is a school better known as the Charlotte 49ers.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
If you look at JMU's schedule they can come right out of the gates and carry a #1 ranking most of the season. Or on the other hand they can be facing playoff elimination really early on.

No predictions but they historically don't play well against FBS teams.

IIRC, there have been discussions on the CAAZone about how Mickey Matthews hasn't played the FBS games as games to win. Haven't there been lots of substitutions and early entrances by the 2nd string in these games? JMHO, but this is one FBS game that should be treated differently. Duke is beatable and with the App game and multiple iron games in the CAA, a win over Duke could be the difference in making the playoffs. Especially if they happen to lose to ASU and a couple of league games.

ASUMountaineer
August 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry I should have continued past the 1970's. I believe your math is off according to the site I'm looking at for historical scores but they did do a bit better in those decades you note. In summary Duke had THREE winning seasons in the '60's, THREE winning seasons in the '50's. Not sure about the '40's since I can only find info after WWII and I'm too lazy to research how bad Duke was during the leather helmut days.

So you really think Duke has some sort of tradition for making 7 bowl games in it's 50+ years of football? Their 2-5 in those bowl games the last win was in the 1960 Orange Bowl, and the last Bowl game was the 1994 Hall of Fame Bowl. Actually, Duke lost to USC in the 1939 Rose Bowl 7-3 not Oregon (They lost to Oregon State in the 1942 Rose Bowl). The only traditional trend I see for Duke football is bad football.

Hey Appalachian has been to 8 bowl games...Puke can suck on it. xlolx

Ivytalk
August 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I'll take JMU by 6!xpeacex

BDKJMU
August 22nd, 2008, 01:01 AM

You're saying Central Carolina should beat JMU! xconfusedx xeekx

th0m
August 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
IIRC, there have been discussions on the CAAZone about how Mickey Matthews hasn't played the FBS games as games to win. Haven't there been lots of substitutions and early entrances by the 2nd string in these games?

That is correct. The biggest reason most JMU fans aren't as optimistic regarding the outcome of this game. Of course, the most recent FBS games were a bit tougher on paper (VT, WVU, I guess UNC doesn't really count but still a bit tougher than Duke..).

Touchdown Yosef
August 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
any of you JMU guys going to put a little money on the game especially if you are getting points?

grayghost06
August 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
any of you JMU guys going to put a little money on the game especially if you are getting points?

If the # goes to 3.5 or higher ( currently Duke - 1.5 )- otherwise just friendly wagers w/ the Dookies at pregame tailgates. While I like our chances, there are games on board the first week offering better value..That having been said, I think it's impressive that an FCS team can play a BCS team on the road and be only a point and a half dog. The gambling community doesn't have a lot of faith in Duke.

mcveyrl
August 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM

According to 5dimes, the last time I looked we were getting three points. That's not enough for me to put anything on it. This is a dangerous game to bet on. First, you've got a new coach who has had some success at other BCS programs. Second, the Duke players are going to by hyped about the new coach. Also, I heard that Duke has shed about 500 lbs. as a team since January and you never know how that's going to affect them.

Too many unkowns to lay down cash on it. Should be a good game, though.

mcveyrl
August 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
If the # goes to 3.5 or higher ( currently Duke - 1.5 )- otherwise just friendly wagers w/ the Dookies at pregame tailgates. While I like our chances, there are games on board the first week offering better value..That having been said, I think it's impressive that an FCS team can play a BCS team on the road and be only a point and a half dog. The gambling community doesn't have a lot of faith in Duke.

Where'd you get 1.5?

grayghost06
August 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Where'd you get 1.5?...about 5 min ago @ 5Dimes

appfan2008
August 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
dont forget jmu fans that duke seriously has no running back... they had an awful running game last year and graduated 2 of their top 4 and the other two got injured and are out for the year... and they didnt bring in any top rb's... should be an interesting running game this year

mcveyrl
August 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
...about 5 min ago @ 5Dimes

Wow, that moved pretty quick. It was 3 a couple of days ago.

grayghost06
August 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
dont forget jmu fans that duke seriously has no running back... they had an awful running game last year and graduated 2 of their top 4 and the other two got injured and are out for the year... and they didnt bring in any top rb's... should be an interesting running game this year

I really didn't fear their running game too much. We've always played the run pretty well, even against WVU, UNC and ASU. Held Kay-Jay Harris to 2.9 yds/ carry in 22 caries, UNCs RBs to an average of 2.9 yds on 34 carries and Kevin Richardson to 3.7 yds on 38 carries ( two games). Armanti Edwards types throw a different dimension of course w/ their running ability but primarily it's those 3rd and 8s that we seem to give up so regularly and Duke does have a pretty good passer.

appfan2008
August 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
I really didn't fear their running game too much. We've always played the run pretty well, even against WVU, UNC and ASU. Held Kay-Jay Harris to 2.9 yds/ carry in 22 caries, UNCs RBs to an average of 2.9 yds on 34 carries and Kevin Richardson to 3.7 yds on 38 carries ( two games). Armanti Edwards types throw a different dimension of course w/ their running ability but primarily it's those 3rd and 8s that we seem to give up so regularly and Duke does have a pretty good passer.

hes not a good passer but what he is is an experienced passer as I believe this is his third year under center starting...

grayghost06
August 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
hes not a good passer but what he is is an experienced passer as I believe this is his third year under center starting...

perhaps not, but the only time I saw him live last year, he did torch Navy for 428 yds.

DTSpider
August 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
JMU should be able to handle Duke. I've watched Duke in person each of the last two years (UR @ Duke in 2006 & Duke @ Navy in 2007). I think that JMU's defense should be able to make Duke one dimensional, and unless there are major secondary meltdowns, I don't see Duke scoring a lot on a full field. If JMU can keep a handle on the ball, they should be able to win the posession battle and wear Duke down.

DTSpider
August 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
JMU should be able to handle Duke. I've watched Duke in person each of the last two years (UR @ Duke in 2006 & Duke @ Navy in 2007). I think that JMU's defense should be able to make Duke one dimensional, and unless there are major secondary meltdowns, I don't see Duke scoring a lot on a full field. If JMU can keep a handle on the ball, they should be able to win the posession battle and wear Duke down.

Hoboken Dukes
August 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
i was reading on the Duke rivals board that they plan on playing both qb's at the same time, the jr. starter who is a pocket qb and is more adept at the deep ball. this other guy - zack asack maybe? - is supposed to be a very mobile qb who they think will actually be the starter this year at some point. coaches have confirmed that they'll both be on the field at the same time, probably starting against us.

i cannot wait until next weekend.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the words of support from everyone. I don't know how I feel about this game. It is so important for Duke to win its home opener to start off on a good step with Cutcliffe, and it is equally important for JMU to not let the "FCS" world down. No argument would hold water anymore if we lose next week. It's Duke. Yet they will be a different team this year I think.

Anyway, I believe it will be a close game, but JMU can win if they do not drop the football.

Also, I believe Duke's starting RB is out 4-6 weeks, not the entire season. Still, one less weapon. If JMU can shut down the pass somehow (namely, pressure on the QB), I think JMU wins.

appfan2008
August 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
i was reading on the Duke rivals board that they plan on playing both qb's at the same time, the jr. starter who is a pocket qb and is more adept at the deep ball. this other guy - zack asack maybe? - is supposed to be a very mobile qb who they think will actually be the starter this year at some point. coaches have confirmed that they'll both be on the field at the same time, probably starting against us.

i cannot wait until next weekend.

very interesting... i hadnt heard that ... i will have to look into that

ASUG8
August 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
The only thing that would make me happier than an App win at LSU would be to see the University of New Jersey at Durham get smacked BAD by JMU.

Third place goes to a McNeese win at Kenan stadium.

Hoboken Dukes
August 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the words of support from everyone. I don't know how I feel about this game. It is so important for Duke to win its home opener to start off on a good step with Cutcliffe, and it is equally important for JMU to not let the "FCS" world down. No argument would hold water anymore if we lose next week. It's Duke. Yet they will be a different team this year I think.

Anyway, I believe it will be a close game, but JMU can win if they do not drop the football.

Also, I believe Duke's starting RB is out 4-6 weeks, not the entire season. Still, one less weapon. If JMU can shut down the pass somehow (namely, pressure on the QB), I think JMU wins.

sullivan is out 4-6 weeks, according to mickey, he was our 1-B to eugene's 1-A. appy fans will remember sullivan fondly.

if there's any position for us to lose a man, it's at rb. we are absolutely loaded there. griff yancey prob goes to #2 and then noble and others backing them up. i just want to see us take the ball on our 1st drive and confidently move it down the field, none of this UNC business.