PDA

View Full Version : Does your schedule have what it takes?

LarryBoy
August 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
...to be the toughest?

Make your case...

Included in Furman's murderous 2007 slate:

@ Virginia Tech (#15 FBS)
Delaware (#9)
@ Wofford (#13)
@ App State (#1)
@ Elon (#15)
Georgia Southern (#17)
The Citadel (#23)
@ Colgate (not ranked, but it's North of the Mason-Dixon line...not our best region)

I would say that, opponent-wise, App State has the tougher schedule (switch out Va Tech and Delaware for LSU and James Madison), but their conference schedule is favorable with the majority of the big ones at Kidd Brewer. That, and they don't have to play themselves.

Oh, and if there's already been a thread about this, then disregard. I just read an article about this specifically and it got me thinking.

Eight Legger
August 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Yours is pretty tough.... I think ours is pretty close overall. Our top games:

at Elon (#15)
at UVa
at Villanova (#21)
vs JMU (#6)
at UMass (#5)
vs. Delaware (#9)

FargoBison
August 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
at Wyoming
at #3 UNI
at #12 YSU
vs #11 SIU
vs #19 SDSU
vs #25 WIU

The toughest part of our schedule probably is that we have a 6 week stretch that looks like this.....@Wyoming-@YSU-Bye-SIU-WIU-@UNI

LarryBoy
August 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Yours is pretty tough.... I think ours is pretty close overall. Our top games:

at Elon (#15)
at UVa
at Villanova (#21)
vs JMU (#6)
at UMass (#5)
vs. Delaware (#9)

With (correct me if I'm wrong) 6 CAA and 5 SoCon teams in the Top 25, any schedule within those two conference is ridiculous to start with...but NDSU, you'll certainly have to earn that #2 ranking, as well.

slostang
August 19th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Cal Poly:

@ San Diego State
#8 Montana
@ #10 McNeese State
@ #19 South Dakota State
@ Wisconsin

appfan2008
August 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
as already pointed out...
@ LSU
@ JMU
@ GSU
Furman
Elon
The Citadel
Wofford

ChickenMan
August 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
and the winner is...

@ Maryland
@ Furman
@ UMass
@ Hofstra
@ JMU
@ Richmond
Villanova

JMU DUUUKES
August 20th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I would argue JMU has the toughest schedule, even know thats in a diff thread ... 4 playoff teams from last season, all in the top rankings, plus an ACC team (i know i know but still)

App St, UMass, UD, Richmond, and Duke

mcveyrl
August 20th, 2008, 07:43 AM
and the winner is...

@ Maryland
@ Furman
@ UMass
@ Hofstra
@ JMU
@ Richmond
Villanova

Agreed on this one. Not only do they have tough opponents, but almost all of them are on the road.

93henfan
August 20th, 2008, 07:57 AM
And the scary thing is, UD has to find a way to win three of those road games to sniff the playoffs. Youch.

Houndawg
August 20th, 2008, 08:10 AM
at Wyoming
at #3 UNI
at #12 YSU
vs #11 SIU
vs #19 SDSU
vs #25 WIU

The toughest part of our schedule probably is that we have a 6 week stretch that looks like this.....@Wyoming-@YSU-Bye-SIU-WIU-@UNI

@ Northwestern (Big 10)
vs #3 UNI
@ #2 NDSU
@ #12 YSU
vs #19 SDSU
vs #25 WIU

I think we have it slightly tougher, Fargo.:D

Uncle Buck
August 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM
We're tough, but like someone else pointed out, anyone in this conference has it tough.

@ UConn
Richmond #4
@ UMass #5
@ JMU #6
Delaware #9
@ New Hampshire #16

mcveyrl
August 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
And the scary thing is, UD has to find a way to win three of those road games to sniff the playoffs. Youch.

Thus, Uber-Toughness...

appfan2008
August 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I like deleware's so far...

Millwoch
August 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
9/6 @Clemson (#9 FBS)
10/4 @Appy #1
10/11 Elon # 15
10/18 @Furman
11/1 GSU #17
11/8 @ Wofford # 13
11/22 @ Florida (#4 FBS)

93henfan
August 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
9/6 @Clemson (#9 FBS)
10/4 @Appy #1
10/11 Elon # 15
10/18 @Furman
11/1 GSU #17
11/8 @ Wofford # 13
11/22 @ Florida (#4 FBS)

That one's a swift kick to the nuts as well.

danefan
August 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Toughest non CAA and/or SoCon schedule:

I'll put ours up there. Even with having St. Francis and Sacred Heart on it:

@ UMass (#5)
@ Hofstra (ORV)
@ UNH (#16)
@ Delaware (#9)

In the first five weeks. We open NEC up on the road too. Five away games in the first 6 weeks (with a bye) and not a home game until October 11th. These kids are going to be tired.

EDIT: The more I look at it, I'm not sure it qualifies as a non-CAA schedule.xrolleyesx

HensRock
August 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I think El Cid's trumps Delaware's. Wow.

footballer23
August 20th, 2008, 09:01 AM
MVFC + Wyoming... 'nuff said.

bonarae
August 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Not the toughest in the Ivy, but take a look:

Lehigh
Lafayette
Holy Cross
(all contending for the PL championship)
and of course..
Yale (I think it will be the Ivy game of the year)

Uhumm...

Penn perhaps:
Villanova (#21)
Lafayette

Dartmouth:
New Hampshire
Colgate
Holy Cross

The Ivies basically play the same opponents year after year, but sometimes the predicted standings of these opponents change... so the strength of our schedule varies each year.

Kymermosst
August 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I'm willing to throw ours into this mix as well.

Albany (ORV) <-- I feel like Albany may be the most underrated team in FCS coming into this year. I may be sorely disappointed, but we'll see.
@ Holy Cross (ORV)
@ #6 JMU
@ #12 Texas Tech (FBS)
#9 Delaware
#4 Richmond
Maine (ORV)
@ #16 UNH
Hofstra (ORV)

We luck out with two of our big games being at home, but we get all of the meat of the CAA South, plus TT and some decent OOC opponents. Probably not the toughest, but definitely not a walk in the park.

Eaglesrus
August 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
My answer about our schedule is no, my vote goes to The Citadel. However, opening with the FBS' #1 does present somewhat of a challenge.

89Hen
August 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
9/6 @Clemson (#9 FBS)
11/22 @ Florida (#4 FBS)
xnutsx

89Hen
August 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
and the winner is...

@ Maryland
@ Furman
@ UMass
@ Hofstra
@ JMU
@ Richmond
Villanova
I think because of the @'s that's got to be top 2 or 3.

JMU DUUUKES
August 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Damn i hadn't seen UDs like that, I'll give them the nod over JMU

93henfan
August 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
MVFC + Wyoming... 'nuff said.

Save for Wyoming, that's Delaware's typical path to the championship game.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
No question our SOS is improved this year over last.

Starting with SBU, CCU and FU is certainly not a gentle ramp-up. Dartmouth, Princeton and Cornell are always competitive OOC games.
Fordham in NYC is very tough, as is LU in Bethlehem and BU in Lewisburg. HC and LC know how to win in Hamilton, and Georgetown will be improved (one of these years, I can see them emerging all of a sudden and dominating the Patriot League).

Grizaholic17
August 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM
It's not the Griz's toughest schedule...but it's far better than we've seen in the past two years for sure. !!!!!

WrenFGun
August 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have some fears about UNH's schedule not living up to the bill (to answer the question asked initially). UNH plays only 4 teams that finished over .500 last season ('Nova, Hofstra, Albany and UMass) and only two of those four were really legitimate playoff contenders by season's end (Hofstra got throttled by good teams, Albany didn't have the quality of competition).

Albany's schedule is brutal (@ 4 CAA schools before the NEC schedule), so it's difficult to imagine them having a quality record. Hofstra, IMO, is due for some significant regression as well, which leaves 'Nova and UMass as the two primary candidates to be good teams. UNH is going to have to beat one of them to have a signature win on their resume, especially if they're 8-3. The other teams? Army, URI, Dartmouth, W&M, Towson, Maine, NU. Perhaps Maine, W&M or NU will put up a competitive season.

CID1990
August 20th, 2008, 02:12 PM
We will have a tough time this year, not only with the two FBS games, but also with the fact that we will be playing Furman, Wofford and ASU on the road.

One thing is for sure- although we won't beat clempson or UF, we WILL hurt one of those teams' BCS rankings. I am thinking clempson. They are totally overlooking us right now. All the talk at clempson is about the opener with Alabama. Most posters on their fan sites have them beating us by more than 50-60 points. If we play them to within two touchdowns (not totally unrealistic) then they will suffer when the BCS pairings go out, assuming they are still in the hunt at the time.

EmeryZach
August 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Albany (ORV) <-- I feel like Albany may be the most underrated team in FCS coming into this year. I may be sorely disappointed, but we'll see.
@ Holy Cross (ORV)
@ #6 JMU
@ #12 Texas Tech (FBS)
#9 Delaware
#4 Richmond
Maine (ORV)
@ #16 UNH
Hofstra (ORV)

We luck out with two of our big games being at home, but we get all of the meat of the CAA South, plus TT and some decent OOC opponents. Probably not the toughest, but definitely not a walk in the park.

Yeah, this is going to be a hard one.

BirdieJack
August 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I think SDSU's beat writer, Terry Vandrovec raises a good question when it comes to SDSU's brutal schedule. As a fan, I love the Jack's OOC schedules, but only time will tell if it's the wise thing to do given the conference they now compete in.

As far as the question of this thread in regards to SDSU. It definitley does and then some.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a4f454d93-7b4e-459e-8ac3-37e46e10a52e&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

Go Jacks!!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I like deleware's so far...

Me too!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah, all of us in the SoCon and CAA have tough schedules, as well as the MVC to a lesser degree IMO. Things will be flip-flopped upside down this year. Out of JMU, App. St., Elon, Delaware, Furman, Richmond - Maybe 3 of those in the playoffs this year. Could be crazy before it is all over. Not one of these teams can afford a "bad" loss without a "great" win to cover it.

elcid96
August 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
9/6 @Clemson (#9 FBS)
10/4 @Appy #1
10/11 Elon # 15
10/18 @Furman
11/1 GSU #17
11/8 @ Wofford # 13
11/22 @ Florida (#4 FBS)

Two of the top 10 FBS schools and 3 away games at top 25 SOCON schools make this the hardest schedule we have ever played. xrulesx

kalm
August 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM

@ Holy Cross (ORV)
@ #6 JMU
@ #12 Texas Tech (FBS)
#9 Delaware
#4 Richmond
Maine (ORV)
@ #16 UNH
Hofstra (ORV)

@ #12 Texas Tech (FBS)
@Colorado (FBS)
@Portland State
# 7 Montana
@Montana State
NAU
@ Weber State

Not the toughest, but the two opening games could cost us an at-large. Hopefully we'll loosen up Texas Tech the week before UMASS plays them. xthumbsupx

LarryBoy
August 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
We will have a tough time this year, not only with the two FBS games, but also with the fact that we will be playing Furman, Wofford and ASU on the road.

One thing is for sure- although we won't beat clempson or UF, we WILL hurt one of those teams' BCS rankings. I am thinking clempson. They are totally overlooking us right now. All the talk at clempson is about the opener with Alabama. Most posters on their fan sites have them beating us by more than 50-60 points. If we play them to within two touchdowns (not totally unrealistic) then they will suffer when the BCS pairings go out, assuming they are still in the hunt at the time.

Did Clemson fans take too many blows to the head during last season's annual collapse? Or did they just simply forget that last year another SoCon team outgained them offensively, mercilessly shut down their "unstoppable" rushing attack, sacked their QB 5 times, and would have been given the biggest "Fire Bowden!"-fest of all time if not for turnovers and atrocious ACC officiating? Heck, it's not even like we were that good last year.

Sure, I can see that one being a 50-60 point, easily...

Give 'em a wake-up call, Bellhops!

Touchdown Yosef
August 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I have to say The Citadel's schedule looks to be the toughest I've seen.

Seawolf97
August 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Colgate
Elon
@Maine
@Brown
Hofstra
@Liberty
@Coastal Carolina
Plus the rest of the Big South. Maybe not overwhelming for of the elite teams but for us at this stage every game will be a challenge. These are solid well coached teams. The only sure win is Nov 8th at Iona.

Hoseinexile07
August 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
With games against Wofford, Appalachian, Liberty, Coastal, and Elon, the Hose are in for a tough and victory-challenged season.

Hood
August 20th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Nicholls State has

@ New Mexico State
@ Memphis
@ UNI
@ McNeese
and we have Central Arkansas & Sam Houston at home (both have fabulous offenses).

The rest of the schedule isn't that big a deal.

stevdock
August 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
We definitely don't have the top schedule. Either Delaware or The Citadel. But this is probably our toughest schedule in a long time. Definitely the toughest I remember.

FargoBison
August 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Here is the toughest schedule.....

SDSU
@Iowa State
YSU(#12)
WIU(#25)
@UNI(#3)
McNeese St(#10)
Cal Poly(#14)
@SIU(#11)
@NDSU(#2)

CID1990
August 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Did Clemson fans take too many blows to the head during last season's annual collapse? Or did they just simply forget that last year another SoCon team outgained them offensively, mercilessly shut down their "unstoppable" rushing attack, sacked their QB 5 times, and would have been given the biggest "Fire Bowden!"-fest of all time if not for turnovers and atrocious ACC officiating? Heck, it's not even like we were that good last year.

Sure, I can see that one being a 50-60 point, easily...

Give 'em a wake-up call, Bellhops!

I am banking on Tommy Boy's penchant for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory to be in full force this year, as in all past years.

URMite
August 21st, 2008, 02:30 AM
My opinion hasn't changed from the last thread, the top 3 schedules are (in no particular order):

The Citadel (Socon) - 2 ranked FBS; and @ASU (if they are as good as last year) is a devastating top 3 with 2 home & 2 away ranked FCS as well.

Delaware (CAA) - With 6 away games among the tough portion of their schedule (plus a ranked home opponent), that is a difficult road to the playoffs as well.

SDSU (MVFC) - With 2 ranked OOC, a FBS, and 5 tough Conf games, that is a lot of opportunities for a loss.

It is going to take one hell of an effort for any of them to get 8 Div I wins this year.

JackTwice
August 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM
With schedules like these will it ever become possible that selection committees look past the stigma of 7 - 4 and alllow a team with a brutal schedule that goes 7-4 into the playoffs?

RabidRabbit
August 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
With schedules like these will it ever become possible that selection committees look past the stigma of 7 - 4 and alllow a team with a brutal schedule that goes 7-4 into the playoffs?

7-5 could even be ok, as long as no non-counters. I believe both El Cid and Del play one game against a non-counter. Jacks don't.xnodx

Millwoch
August 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM

It hurts their BCS numbers just by playing us. Look @ Auburn a few years ago. Some folks say if they had not played El Cid, they would have been in the BCS title game

Benne
August 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM

SDSU
@Iowa State
YSU(#12)
WIU(#25)
@UNI(#3)
McNeese St(#10)
Cal Poly(#14)
@SIU(#11)
@NDSU(#2)

Just brutal. I cringe every time I see it. It's going to be a fun ride.

ysubigred
August 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
YSU has a tough one and 4 of 7 at home xwhistlex

@tO$U #1 or 2 in FBS
@SDSU(#25)
NDSU(#2)
LIBERTY(#32) Receiving votes.
UNI(#3)
SIU(#11)
@WIU(#25)

We have some good talent, little depth and some key injuries already this summer session xbawlingx Maybe a long year in Y-town :(

elcid96
August 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM

SDSU
@Iowa State
YSU(#12)
WIU(#25)
@UNI(#3)
McNeese St(#10)
Cal Poly(#14)
@SIU(#11)
@NDSU(#2)

Good, solid, and tough schedule, but not the toughest. The game against Iowa State is your only FBS game and you have a good chance of winning the game.

elcid96
August 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
It hurts their BCS numbers just by playing us. Look @ Auburn a few years ago. Some folks say if they had not played El Cid, they would have been in the BCS title game

Those are not good quotes for FCS football

cowbellnation
August 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
@ Iowa State
#12 YSU
#25 WIU
@ #3 UNI
#10 McNeese State
#14 Cal Poly
Illinois State
@ #11 SIU
@ #2 NDSU

There's your mother flippin schedule

89Hen
August 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
7-5 could even be ok, as long as no non-counters. I believe both El Cid and Del play one game against a non-counter. Jacks don't.xnodx
This may seem completely unfair, but I would wager good money on SDSU not getting a bid at 7-5. One, no team has ever gotten an at-large with 5 and two, SDSU has no playoff history. xpeacex

cowbellnation
August 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
Actually here is your toughest schedule, courtesy of USD.

St. Ambrose (NAIA)
@ #3 UNI
@ Southeastern Louisiana
Culver-Stockton (NAIA)
@ Montana State
@ #14 Cal Poly
Missouri S&T (DII)
@ North Greenville (NCCAA 'National Christian College Athletic Association')
Southen Oregon (NAIA)
@ SUU
UND

xlolx

RabidRabbit
August 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
This may seem completely unfair, but I would wager good money on SDSU not getting a bid at 7-5. One, no team has ever gotten an at-large with 5 and two, SDSU has no playoff history. xpeacex

Depends on how many 8-4 or better teams there are, and which games SDSU wins. My hope is that the Jacks are 8-4 or better, and have wins over half of the late season top 25, and this isn't an issue.

stevdock
August 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM

I agree with you as I think there will be some 8-4 teams left at home this year. As far as not having any playoff history, that is pretty lame if that is a deciding factor on who makes the playoffs or not.