PDA

View Full Version : UNH at UMass

umassfan
October 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Okay let the talk start... This is the new A10 Champ game....

TigerFan17
October 23rd, 2005, 03:11 PM
At this point, easily the A-10 game of the year.

An explosive UNH offense matched with a powerful UMass D! This is gonna be a good one!

UNH 1999
October 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Great offense v. Great defense... who's going to win? Should be interesting. Santos absolutely dismantled NU, poor pups. I feel as if I should be a bit concerned that we have to go into Amherst to play this one but after last season's reenactment of Sherman's March to the Sea, going on the road and rolling over opponents, I am not overly concerned. (Yes I know that we eventually hit a roadblock, Montana) Even though it's early in the week I like our chances.

Oh, and for UNH Alum in CT, there is no way we're going to be able to watch it in the Tallahassee, FL area... internet radio it is!

Go 'Cats!

PapaBear
October 24th, 2005, 06:46 AM
UMass will have to play much better on defense -- especially on pass defense -- than they did at UMaine, if they expect to put a hurting on that Wildcat scoring machine.

They'll also have to be much more physical.

In addition to losing three or four defensive starters to injuries at various points in the game (geez... did you guys not come prepared to play tackle football? :eek: ), UMass gave up several long passes including two for TDs and a third that was called back for holding.

(Calm down ... just having a little fun)

This was, to anyone there, a most winnable game for the Black Bears. We led 14-13 in the third quarter, and after giving up a score and a 2pt to make it 21-14 UMass, we fumbled the kickoff on the 6. UMass scored the easy one and it remained 28-14 until about 5:00 left in the 4th. Maine hit two long passes to get down inside the 20. Then, per our contract with the devil, Whitcomb's arm got hit while passing, and the ball fluttered into the arms of a waiting LB, who obligingly returned it 90 yards for a TD.

Instead of a 28-21 edge-of-the-seater with 4:00 to go, it's now 35-14 and fans start emptying out.

Talk about your bad news bears.

Tribe4SF
October 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM
The key for W&M in beating UNH was pressuring Santos with the front four. He is adept at picking up blitzes and making you pay. Tribe was able to play seven in coverage and keep UNH receivers in front of them, avoiding big plays. When UNH moved into Tribe territory, the shortened field made for tighter coverage, and the Wildcats had difficulty converting their opportunities.

The other key is being capable of scoring alot of points. It's here where I think UMass may have problems, but they showed better at Maine. You don't want to play from behind against UNH.

Wild McGuirk
October 24th, 2005, 07:41 AM
I've been waiting for this one all season and hoping it would play out into a game this big. Definitely agree the key to slowing down UNH is getting to the quarterback consistently. I think the health status of Shannon James is going to be really important. Without him back there at near full strength we might not be able to send enough up front to pressure as well as we need to.

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM
The key for W&M in beating UNH was pressuring Santos with the front four. He is adept at picking up blitzes and making you pay. Tribe was able to play seven in coverage and keep UNH receivers in front of them, avoiding big plays. When UNH moved into Tribe territory, the shortened field made for tighter coverage, and the Wildcats had difficulty converting their opportunities.

The other key is being capable of scoring alot of points. It's here where I think UMass may have problems, but they showed better at Maine. You don't want to play from behind against UNH.

We fell behind big last year vs them and stormed back... Baylark had a field day vs the wildcats last year and if last week was any idea of how he will play this week then it will be a long day for the wildcats... the key to the game is time of poss... if umass can control the clock they will win the game.... The CB who got burnt twice for tds hasnt had that happen since the colgate game... James in our secondary also is a big plus... we played the entire game vs Maine without him... expect him in the lineup vs UNH and in a big way. Last year he had 2 ints vs the wildcats. We beat UNH last year with alot of blitzing... the same will happen this season... Maine was a trap game between JMU and UNH... If we come out and play like we did vs JMU and not Maine we will win.

ChickenMan
October 24th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Here we go again... but the condition of UMass' field will play likely a major role in their game vs UNH. It was a total mud bowl after the JMU game... so my question is...what has UMass done to get the field back into decent playing shape??? The fact is that a poor playing surface can and will limit what either team can do offensively. UD had a similar bad situation with their field... but resodded about 2/3 of the playing surface just prior to the JMU game and the new turf held up very well. UD was held under a hundred yrds rushings... in the mud vs Hofstra... but once the new turf was down... they were able to rush for well over 300 vs a better defense in JMU. Anyone think that the improved playing surface might have had a little to do with UD's increased productivity? Once again the field conditions will likely be a 'hot' topic prior to UNH/UMass.

Tribe4SF
October 24th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I'm not much on last year comparisons, but if UMass holds them to -2 rushing yards again, I think they'll win.

UNHknowledge
October 24th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I'm not much on last year comparisons, but if UMass holds them to -2 rushing yards again, I think they'll win.

UNH held itself to -2 rushing yds last year...there was only 3 rushing attempts by RB's. The other carries were QB scrambles and sacks. But yeah...if for some reason UNH decides to throw the ball 80+ times with 2 different QB's into a very good UMass secondary then we probably lose again.

Old Cage
October 24th, 2005, 10:58 AM
The Amherst forecast is for rain on Tuesday and then rain and SNOW on Wednesday. Sun for Thursday-Friday-Saturday with 45-55 highs.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Will there be more than 5000 there is the big question. :p

Old Cage
October 24th, 2005, 11:37 AM
89Hen - You might have the right question, but probably don't know why.

We are hosting UNH on Friday night and Maine on Saturday night for pucks, and the Patriots are home on Sunday.

So many games, so little time, so few dollars. .

I think there will be a good crowd for football, but - sadly - it just isn't as important to our alums as it seems to be for yours. The hockey crowds will certainly beat your football guess.

FightinBluHen51
October 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Here we go again... but the condition of UMass' field will play likely a major role in their game vs UNH. It was a total mud bowl after the JMU game... so my question is...what has UMass done to get the field back into decent playing shape??? The fact is that a poor playing surface can and will limit what either team can do offensively. UD had a similar bad situation with their field... but resodded about 2/3 of the playing surface just prior to the JMU game and the new turf held up very well. UD was held under a hundred yrds rushings... in the mud vs Hofstra... but once the new turf was down... they were able to rush for well over 300 vs a better defense in JMU. Anyone think that the improved playing surface might have had a little to do with UD's increased productivity? Once again the field conditions will likely be a 'hot' topic prior to UNH/UMass.
You dang well better not change your avatar until AFTER the season!

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Well UNH is ranked number 4 in the sports network poll... I believe UMass is something like 6-0 or 7-0 vs number 4 ranked teams all time... last coming vs number 4 JMU earlier this season. :D

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 01:41 PM
89Hen - You might have the right question, but probably don't know why.

We are hosting UNH on Friday night and Maine on Saturday night for pucks, and the Patriots are home on Sunday.
First weather, now hockey? :eek:

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Sorry if football is not the only quality sport our school has.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM
:confused: Guess all those SEC and ACC teams should stop expanding their stadiums since they're good at soccer, basketball, field hockey, baseball.... :rolleyes:

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM
:confused: Guess all those SEC and ACC teams should stop expanding their stadiums since they're good at soccer, basketball, field hockey, baseball.... :rolleyes:
That is the difference between I-A and I-AA... thanks for pointing it out.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
It's just another excuse in a long line of excuses.

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM
It's just another excuse in a long line of excuses.
Or a reason that makes sense.... If you look at the schools who have high attendance(meaning 15000 plus) how many of them are good at other MAJOR sports?

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Or a reason that makes sense.... If you look at the schools who have high attendance(meaning 15000 plus) how many of them are good at other MAJOR sports?
fan, you draw 2000-5000 for hockey. :rolleyes:

GannonFan
October 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Come on, the basketball program is in shambles (serves you right for hiring Lappas in the first place), the Mullins Center is eerily quiet, baseball went something like 13-32 last year (even being swept by the woeful UD baseball team in a 3 game series by a combined score of 29-6), and UMass hockey isn't even the best UMass team in the state system - the folks over at UMass Lowell have that distinction.

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Come on, the basketball program is in shambles (serves you right for hiring Lappas in the first place), the Mullins Center is eerily quiet, baseball went something like 13-32 last year (even being swept by the woeful UD baseball team in a 3 game series by a combined score of 29-6), and UMass hockey isn't even the best UMass team in the state system - the folks over at UMass Lowell have that distinction.
Is that so... that is why we have finished ahead of Lowell how many years in a row?

Anyways lets get back to topic...

If UMass wins on Sat we win at least a share of the A10 title(granted Richmond loses to JMU or someone) We would have a 2 game lead on everyone and had won vs JMU, UNH, and Richmond.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 02:14 PM
If UMass wins on Sat we win at least a share of the A10 title(granted Richmond loses to JMU or someone) We would have a 2 game lead on everyone and had won vs JMU, UNH, and Richmond.
This is a HUGE game for UMass. A loss bring the Minutemen to Newark with the entire season on the line. You don't want to have to count on beating Army to keep from being 7-4. I could see UMass going 4-0 to finish the season, but I can also see 0-4 or anything in between. :nod:

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 02:15 PM
This is a HUGE game for UMass. A loss bring the Minutemen to Newark with the entire season on the line. You don't want to have to count on beating Army to keep from being 7-4. I could see UMass going 4-0 to finish the season, but I can also see 0-4 or anything in between. :nod:
I see the same thing but anything 2-2 or better or a win here Sat has us in the playoffs.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Is that so... that is why we have finished ahead of Lowell how many years in a row?

Zero years in a row actually, they finished 5th in Hockey East last year while UMass-Amherst was 8th. Lowell even took the season series winning 2 out of 3. You do follow UMass sports, correct? :rolleyes:

Anyways lets get back to topic...

Haven't you forgotten about W&M? They have just the one conference loss (to URI) but have beaten UNH. You'll need to have them lose to nova on Saturday, have Richmond lose to JMU, and you guys beat UNH to win at least a share of the A10 title by this weekend. Agreed that 2-2 the rest of the way gets you in (although unlikely to host a 1st round game), but none of those 4 games are gimmies and 3 are on the road.

nyminuteman
October 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM
What about men's lacrosse? We field a good team most of the time. I agree that there is no excuse for our poor attenance figures at home. I do think that unfortunately, basketball, hockey and even lacrosse draw better than football, when they are successful. Ratface Lappas has destroyed our basketball base and we still have not smelled the NCAA tournament in hockey. Lacrosse does pack them in though!

I do respect and am very jealous of the Delaware fan base. Loyal, rabid, educated. These are just a few of the adjectives I would use to describe it. But the lack of a true fan base should not take away from the historical success of the football program. If the fu#@ing Commonwealth would just pony up some more money to its FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITY, then maybe we could improve the facilities which woul dhelp increase attendance.

Regarding this weekend's game, a healthy UMass beats UNH by 10. A banged up UMass with key players out due to injury means UNH by at least 17.

My two cents.

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
What about men's lacrosse? We field a good team most of the time. I agree that there is no excuse for our poor attenance figures at home. I do think that unfortunately, basketball, hockey and even lacrosse draw better than football, when they are successful. Ratface Lappas has destroyed our basketball base and we still have not smelled the NCAA tournament in hockey. Lacrosse does pack them in though!

I do respect and am very jealous of the Delaware fan base. Loyal, rabid, educated. These are just a few of the adjectives I would use to describe it. But the lack of a true fan base should not take away from the historical success of the football program. If the fu#@ing Commonwealth would just pony up some more money to its FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITY, then maybe we could improve the facilities which woul dhelp increase attendance.

Regarding this weekend's game, a healthy UMass beats UNH by 10. A banged up UMass with key players out due to injury means UNH by at least 17.

My two cents.

Well then I guess we will win by 10 then

FightinBluHen51
October 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Well then I guess we will win by 10 then
Ahhhh, smack forum is three floors down guys.

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Ahhhh, smack forum is three floors down guys.
How is it smack... we are healthy so we will win by 10?

Wild McGuirk
October 24th, 2005, 03:35 PM
UD has one of the best fan bases in I-AA, and they get 22K+ at almost every home game. No one will ever dispute that, especially not any UMass fans here since most of us have been to games at UD. I had a great time there, and look forward to going back.
It's a different situation at UMass, and I don't get why some UD fans have to keep harping on it. By the way, you're talking to the people that go to the games. It's kind of like the coach that gets pissed some guys skipped practice, so he makes the players that ARE there run laps.
Maybe we should drop out of the A-10 because only 4K showed up during a declared emergency, maybe more folks should have put off pumping out their basements or checking on their grandparents until after the game.
I-AA will never be huge in New England because people around here are obsessed wit the BIGTIME. If it's not on SportsCenter like the Red Sox and Pats then it couldn't be worth their time. That is the sole reason that UMass hoops will always be bigger than football. When we win Dick Vitale talks about us, and the kids in the dorms say "cool, when's the next game?"
UMass football doesn't make ESPN, and Bob Lobel and Scott Zolak don't talk about it on Sports Final, so even though UMass is a huge school that that should have a huge fan base, it will never be like UD football.
That said, on Saturday 10K+ will go and have a great time, and hopefully watch a great game. Everyone that sat home and watched a BIGTIME game from far away on the TV will never know about it and I don't care.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I don't get why some UD fans have to keep harping on it.
Because it gets under the skin of so many UMass fans. :D

Sam Adams
October 24th, 2005, 07:20 PM
89hen - If you are posting stuff just to tick people off take it to the smack board please.

As for the game: UNH will probably win. Santos looks to be unstoppable right now. If any team could stop UNH it would probably be UMass w/their D. However UNH deserves the higher ranking and deserves to be the favorite in this game. On the other hand, I said the same thing before the JMU game and look what happened.

I'm psyched for a great football game.

ChickenMan
October 24th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I'll take defense over offense every time... particularly when defense has the home field advantage.

89Hen
October 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
89hen - If you are posting stuff just to tick people off take it to the smack board please.
And if you can't face facts, take it to a UMass board. :cool:

umassfan
October 24th, 2005, 10:44 PM
"UMass has been tough to beat in the friendly confines of McGuirk Alumni Stadium since the start of the 1998 season. The Minutemen have gone 36-10 (.782) at home over the last six years."

Sam Adams
October 24th, 2005, 11:49 PM
And if you can't face facts, take it to a UMass board. :cool:

Hen, the smack board is there for a reason. we all understand that UD was ranked 6th and failed to deliver, but there is no reason for you to intentionally derail threads on the general discussion board because you want to get in the craw of UMass fans. On the smack board that is perfectly legit. But this is a discussion of the upcoming game and I would hope that you would confine your valuable comments to the game without taking shots.

Personally I think Santos will beat the UMass blitzing D and UNH will win. I hope I'm wrong but the Wildcats look to be unstoppable.

UNHWildCats
October 25th, 2005, 05:20 PM
UNH will dismantle UMass.

http://www.theunionleader.com/doclib/photos/2005/october/1025santosgrid.jpg

take note of the URI game, that was played at UNH in a very muddy game.

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
UNH will dismantle UMass.

http://www.theunionleader.com/doclib/photos/2005/october/1025santosgrid.jpg

take note of the URI game, that was played at UNH in a very muddy game.
Keep dreaming man keep dreaming... Santos did so great vs the same secondary last year that he got benched because he couldnt do anything.

UNHknowledge
October 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Keep dreaming man keep dreaming... Santos did so great vs the same secondary last year that he got benched because he couldnt do anything.

You really are the worst football fan ever...you have absolutely no football knowledge, you just talk and talk about nothing. Santos was not benched last year. The UMass game was supposed to be Granieri's "Comeback game", which obviously went sour and Santos came in for relief and could never get into a rythm. Keep talkin about how bad Santos is and you will continue to diminish your credibility on this site.

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM
You really are the worst football fan ever...you have absolutely no football knowledge, you just talk and talk about nothing. Santos was not benched last year. The UMass game was supposed to be Granieri's "Comeback game", which obviously went sour and Santos came in for relief and could never get into a rythm. Keep talkin about how bad Santos is and you will continue to diminish your credibility on this site.
You must not remember the game then because Santos started and then was benched and then came back in when Granieri was not effective either.

"Granieri, who had not played since incurring a knee injury in the season opener, entered the game in the second quarter and finished 19 of 31 for 170 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Ricky Santos who platooned with Granieri following his entry, went 16-for-32 for 98 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. "

I am not talking about how bad Santos is... Santos is great... vs every secondary but UMass's... history and facts prove it.

UNHknowledge
October 25th, 2005, 07:57 PM
You must not remember the game then because Santos started and then was benched and then came back in when Granieri was not effective either.

"Granieri, who had not played since incurring a knee injury in the season opener, entered the game in the second quarter and finished 19 of 31 for 170 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Ricky Santos who platooned with Granieri following his entry, went 16-for-32 for 98 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. "

I am not talking about how bad Santos is... Santos is great... vs every secondary but UMass's... history and facts prove it.

"Platooned" is correct...you used the word "benched" the first time and it made you sound silly. The substitution was very pre-determined and Ricky was never benched because of poor play. I still believe the outcome would've been different if Ricky was never subbed for and if we atleast tried to establish the run game by handing it off to our RB's more than 3 times. But, UMass beat our ass fair and square and I'm excited to see this year's match-up. You relinquished your credibility by changing the "benched" word.

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 08:03 PM
"Platooned" is correct...you used the word "benched" the first time and it made you sound silly. The substitution was very pre-determined and Ricky was never benched because of poor play. I still believe the outcome would've been different if Ricky was never subbed for and if we atleast tried to establish the run game by handing it off to our RB's more than 3 times. But, UMass beat our ass fair and square and I'm excited to see this year's match-up. You relinquished your credibility by changing the "benched" word.
Santos didnt play poorly huh, 16-32 for 98yds, 1 Td and 3 INTs isnt bad?

UNH_ORACLE
October 25th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Joe Montana couldnt have had a better day then ricky at last years homecoming game....UMASS simply outcoached us, they dropped 8 guys and only rushed three, double and triple covered dave ball and effectively shut down our only means of scoring that day...we should have used the running game more effectively but the whole QB drama got the coaches off the gameplan, UMASS also did a good job offensively, however this is a different wildcat squad a more experienced squad and that is what will make the difference this year...UMASS hasnt been good since 98 and not even a fired up Don Brown will get the minutemen near where they'll need to be to contend with the CATS...

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Joe Montana couldnt have had a better day then ricky at last years homecoming game....UMASS simply outcoached us, they dropped 8 guys and only rushed three, double and triple covered dave ball and effectively shut down our only means of scoring that day...we should have used the running game more effectively but the whole QB drama got the coaches off the gameplan, UMASS also did a good job offensively, however this is a different wildcat squad a more experienced squad and that is what will make the difference this year...UMASS hasnt been good since 98 and not even a fired up Don Brown will get the minutemen near where they'll need to be to contend with the CATS...
Are you serious... man you UNH fans need to stick to hockey because you know nothing about football and the history of I-AA...

UNHknowledge
October 25th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Are you serious... man you UNH fans need to stick to hockey because you know nothing about football and the history of I-AA...

History? You said Ricky is unsuccessful against UMass and history proves it. I know he has nearly broken every record at UNH and will eventually break every A10 passing record but the kid has only played UMass ONCE. Why would you use the word history? Now, will you please remove yourself from 1998 and come into the present.

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 08:52 PM
History? You said Ricky is unsuccessful against UMass and history proves it. I know he has nearly broken every record at UNH and will eventually break every A10 passing record but the kid has only played UMass ONCE. Why would you use the word history? Now, will you please remove yourself from 1998 and come into the present.
Okay... lets just say this... history means past.... in the past(granted just one game) it is still the past. Santos in his history has not faired well vs UMass... Deal with it... as for the 98 crap... have you followed umass football since 98? I guess not... And finally where is your I-AA NC?

UNH_ORACLE
October 25th, 2005, 09:16 PM

UNH has a 3-2 record over UMASS since the 1998 Championship and I will say myself that UNH was not a good team, so I'm going to make the assertion that UMASS has been a bad team since 1998...they got lucky last year it won't happen again...

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 09:18 PM
UNH has a 3-2 record over UMASS since the 1998 Championship and I will say myself that UNH was not a good team, so I'm going to make the assertion that UMASS has been a bad team since 1998...they got lucky last year it won't happen again...
UMass and UNH is a good rivalry... do you forget who holds the overall lead? Also we have been in the playoffs more then UNH since 98... thats all I have to say.

UNHknowledge
October 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
UMass and UNH is a good rivalry... do you forget who holds the overall lead? Also we have been in the playoffs more then UNH since 98... thats all I have to say.

LOL..you make me laugh :D

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 09:26 PM
LOL..you make me laugh :D
Why because you actully make me look good?

UNH 1999
October 25th, 2005, 09:28 PM

hockey is our football up here in the Northeast... and you have to give it to those UMass fans, supporting a Hockey East team that will finish 5th or 6th at best... :p

UNH_ORACLE
October 25th, 2005, 09:30 PM

I dont disagree, but you said that I should stick to hockey because i said UMASS hasn't been good since 98 and they havent, get over it...this is UNH's year...Brownie still has atleast another year before he gets his..

umassfan
October 25th, 2005, 09:31 PM
hockey is our football up here in the Northeast... and you have to give it to those UMass fans, support a Hockey East team that will finish 5th or 6th at best... :p
We had a great recruiting class this season... but ne ways this is a football thread.

Sam Adams
October 25th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Saturday at Amherst. UMass UNH meet in Football during the day and Hockey at night. Should be a great day. If you guys insist on talking smack take it to the smack board. Its booooring. :deadhorse

Now back to football: UMass will come out with its typical balanced offensive attack and solid D. I think you will see lots of Baylark and UMass will try to just keep Santos on the sidelines. Will UNH try to establish some kind of ground game w/McCoyor will Air Santos be taking off right form the get go?

A10 Showdown of the Season:
No.1 Pass Offense against No.1 Pass Defense
No.1 Scoring Offense against No.1 Scoring Defense
No.1 Overall Offense against No.1 Overall Defense

If you are a football fan you just Got to Love it !!!!

UNHknowledge
October 26th, 2005, 12:46 AM
This is definitly the game of the year for both teams especially with the heated rivalry. Our buddy Dougherty from the Sportsnetwork is pickin UMass by 2 TD's...very typical of him. Just like after the GSU game last year, he's gonna jump on our bandwagon saying "I knew it all along". I don't blame Dougherty though, even our local media thinks our success is a fluke. I will still welcome Mr. Dougherty on board the Wildcat Express in December.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 01:08 AM
I’ll make a trek on Interstate 95 for the second week in a row, but this time I’m headed north for a game I’ve been looking forward to for a while. For one, the matchup between the Wildcats and Minutemen is only the third game of the season between top 10 teams (including the Southern Illinois-Western Kentucky contest). Also, the winner will just about lock up a playoff berth and have a great shot at earning a top four seed and the Atlantic 10 automatic spot. But none of those intriguing subplots is my real reason for getting excited about a drive up to Amherst. What makes this game really intriguing is watching New Hampshire’s offense, probably the best passing unit in the country, face a Massachusetts defense that swarms the opposing passing game. New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos has 2,160 yards and 21 touchdown passes, and the Wildcats rank fourth in the nation in passing with 313.3 yards per game. The numbers could be even better, but New Hampshire has barely even needed Santos in the second half of five easy victories. Nothing will come so easy against the Minutemen, who rank first in the nation with only 106 passing yards allowed per game. The Massachusetts secondary led by Shannon James has 12 interceptions and has only given up two touchdowns. Santos was stifled by the Minutemen defense a year ago, as Massachusetts forced him to the bench with three early interceptions in a 38-21 victory. Santos also tossed three picks against a tough UC Davis defense in the season opener. He has more game experience now, and should play better than last year’s outing. But Massachusetts’ secondary won’t get torched like other UNH opponents, and figures to record at least a few interceptions as the Wildcats go to the air. Even if New Hampshire plays better on offense this year, winning the game will be difficult with a tough matchup on the other side of the ball. The New Hampshire defense gives up 141.1 yards per game on the ground, and has struggled against good running offenses. William & Mary ran for 190 yards earlier in the year, and Massachusetts tallied 197 yards on the ground in last year’s win. Steve Baylark went for 192 yards and three touchdowns on 43 carries, and figures to get another heavy workload this season. Santos and David Ball will provide the Massachusetts defense with its toughest test of the season, but they won’t see the ball enough with the Minutemen controlling the clock with the ground game. Santos will throw an interception or two and the Massachusetts offense will grind it out for a critical win against the Wildcats. Prediction: Massachusetts 31, New Hampshire 20

OMG even he uses the word BENCHED for Santos last season... I guess he doesnt know what hes talking about either right?

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 02:00 AM
These must be A-10 rankings because in NCAA I-AA:
No. 1 Pass Offense= Grambling
No. 1 Scoring Offense= Southern Illinois
No. 1 Total Offense= Eastern Washington
The three No. 1 defense rankings mentioned are owned by UMass.

Ralph you shoulda forced a prediction out of Mr C.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 03:05 AM
He is on the UMass wagon this year but loves a good offense too (he is a west coaster). We both love DEFENSE, me more than him (I am from the midwest). I remember the 13-6 Montana champ win a few years ago where I told him it was a great game and he was not into it. Some folks love the fireworks but I love the crush.

Im shocked in Matty Ds prediction... didnt think after he picked us to lose to JMU that he had much faith in us even thought he thought we had a shot at the championship

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 03:13 AM
methinks it may be like last year.... unless Santos throws 15 TDs :)
Well we have the players on D to play the same way we did last season... Thats why I dont think much will change... the only player who is missing who played a big part of our team last year is Peebler and London has more then steped up his game this year... UNH will look to stop Baylark... that will be the key to victory for them. If they stop our running game then they could pull off the win easy. Prob is teams average 140+ yards a game vs them on the ground. Brooks for W&M got 190 on them and Baylark is def a better back then Brooks.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Yep, massive O vs. UMassive D. Classic game.

2004 Atlantic 10 Football Conference Team Statistics Through games of Nov 21, 2004 (Conference games)

RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
-----------------------------------------------------
Northeastern........ 8 332 1249 3.8 13 156.1
New Hampshire....... 8 331 1208 3.6 10 151.0

PASS OFFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
New Hampshire....... 8 284 169 8 59.5 2149 7.6 21 268.6
Massachusetts....... 8 271 152 14 56.1 1819 6.7 17 227.4

SCORING OFFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
-----------------------------------------------------------
New Hampshire....... 8 36 30 1 0 10 0 278 34.8
Massachusetts....... 8 27 23 0 0 2 0 191 23.9

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
-------------------------------------------------------------
New Hampshire....... 8 1208 2149 615 3357 5.5 31 419.6
Massachusetts....... 8 1161 1819 561 2980 5.3 26 372.5

RUSHING DEFENSE G Rushes Yards Avg. TD Yds/G
-------------------------------------------------------
New Hampshire....... 8 314 1102 3.5 9 137.8
Massachusetts....... 8 307 1333 4.3 16 166.6

PASS DEFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
Massachusetts....... 8 244 139 10 57.0 1484 6.1 10 185.5
New Hampshire....... 8 312 167 11 53.5 2145 6.9 14 268.1

SCORING DEFENSE G TD XP 2XP DXP FG Saf Pts Avg
-----------------------------------------------------------
New Hampshire....... 8 24 22 0 0 10 2 200 25.0
Massachusetts....... 8 28 22 1 0 5 0 207 25.9

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
------------------------------------------------------------
Massachusetts....... 8 1333 1484 551 2817 5.1 26 352.1
New Hampshire....... 8 1102 2145 626 3247 5.2 23 405.9

What a difference a year makes... this year we have a few new starters and a couple of players who really steped up their game...

Jason Hatchell last year was injured with a torn ACL but played through it... this year he leads the team in tackles. Comes into the UNH game with 61 total tackles 3 for a loss and one forced fumble.

James Ihedigbo last year was a good SS but this year he leads the A10 in sacks and has become a real force on our D... Last week vs Maine he had a forced fumble, INT and sack... cant remember the last time a UMass player had those three in one game. Has 7.5 sacks on the season 11 tackles for a loss 2 ints and 1 forced fumble.

Steve Costello last year sat out due to a sports enduced hernia... this year he is a staple in out secondary and controls one side of the field... has had his share of injuries this season but still a great player in his own right.

John Hatchell last year was forced to sit out due to transfer rules... came over from Lehigh... broke the UMass bench press record and has been a monster on the line for our D... Had a sack for the JMU QB where he was fighting off the OLineman and still sacked him with one arm. Alone he has turned around our run defense. Has 2 sacks 4 tackles for a loss and 25 tackles on the season.

David Burris last season was a walk on for the minutemen... this year he is on scholarship and has started all but one game(when he was suspended). Another part of our new Dline who has just ate up the run this season... comes in on the year with 1.5 sacks 3 tackles for a loss and 26 tackles on the season.

UNHWildCats
October 26th, 2005, 03:55 AM
1 game against a team isnt a history, it could be a fluke, it could have been a freshman downer it could have been a number of things but you cant call it a history with just one game to look at

UNHWildCats
October 26th, 2005, 04:01 AM
OMG even he uses the word BENCHED for Santos last season... I guess he doesnt know what hes talking about either right?
The only benching of Santos your gonna see this weekend will be just like the URI and Northeastern games when he finds his spot after leading the UNH to 49 1st half points.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 04:03 AM
1 game against a team isnt a history, it could be a fluke, it could have been a freshman downer it could have been a number of things but you cant call it a history with just one game to look at
Just like he was never benched right?

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 04:04 AM
The only benching of Santos your gonna see this weekend will be just like the URI and Northeastern games when he finds his spot after leading the UNH to 49 1st half points.
We have given up 29 points all season but we will give up 49 in the first half vs UNH.... come on guys please get real or get lost.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Great news for the Minutemen as Sannon James will play Sat James vows to play (http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1130290801305480.xml&coll=1)

UNHWildCats
October 26th, 2005, 05:58 AM
We have given up 29 points all season but we will give up 49 in the first half vs UNH.... come on guys please get real or get lost.

lets look at who UMass has played

Team
Scoring offense Yardage offense
@ Richmond
#81 #63
@Colgate
#71 #67
Albany
#118 #120
URI
#29 #22
Northeastern
#49 #73
James Madison (Mud Game)
#9 #29
@Maine
#67 #95

Now I think we can all agree the only team on there you can classify with New Hampshire's offense is James Madison and you lucked out and got a mud bowl that day.

UMass is a good team, but New Hampshire is the better team and that will be proven Saturday afternoon.

BTW look at your teams results and readd you gave up 50 points.

Sam Adams
October 26th, 2005, 07:32 AM
These must be A-10 rankings because in NCAA I-AA:
No. 1 Pass Offense= Grambling
No. 1 Scoring Offense= Southern Illinois
No. 1 Total Offense= Eastern Washington
The three No. 1 defense rankings mentioned are owned by UMass.

Correct Ralph that is why I prefaced those statistics with stating that it was the "A10 Showdown of the Season:"

Sam Adams
October 26th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Team
@ Richmond
#81 #63
@Colgate
#71 #67
Albany
#118 #120
URI
#29 #22
Northeastern
#49 #73
James Madison (Mud Game)
#9 #29
@Maine
#67 #95

Now I think we can all agree the only team on there you can classify with New Hampshire's offense is James Madison and you lucked out and got a mud bowl that day.

UMass is a good team, but New Hampshire is the better team and that will be proven Saturday afternoon.

Some mighty big talk from Wildcat fan, thanks for giving the UMass Defense some nice bulletin board material. BTW the UMass Defense has surrendered only 29 points all season (4.1 per game average). UMass offense has given up 21 points.

Should be a great one.

boozeANDammo
October 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Wow... what a game. Wish I could be there to watch this one.

O vs D.

Going with O this time though UMass does have a terrific D.

bandl
October 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Wow... what a game. Wish I could be there to watch this one.

O vs D.

Going with O this time though UMass does have a terrific D.

I really, really WANT UNH to win....but I think Umass's D is just too damn good. I think the difference will be turnovers. Umass will create a few that lead to some easy scores for them.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Team
@ Richmond
#81 #63
@Colgate
#71 #67
Albany
#118 #120
URI
#29 #22
Northeastern
#49 #73
James Madison (Mud Game)
#9 #29
@Maine
#67 #95

You are really searching for anything and everything to back up UNH and how they will win but the more and more you try the more and more you look worse.

UNH is the most overrated team in I-AA... our defense will prove that on Sat. I see Santos throwing a couple INTs and UNH scoring no more then 14 points.

UNHWildCats
October 26th, 2005, 12:40 PM
You are really searching for anything and everything to back up UNH and how they will win but the more and more you try the more and more you look worse.

UNH is the most overrated team in I-AA... our defense will prove that on Sat. I see Santos throwing a couple INTs and UNH scoring no more then 14 points.

I hope every UNH fan on here rubs every word that you say right back in your face saturday evening.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I hope every UNH fan on here rubs every word that you say right back in your face saturday evening.
I have been able to make alot of fans eat their words this season... this week will be just one of another... Hope you get hungry after Sat.

bandl
October 26th, 2005, 12:49 PM

EASY....don't take umassfan's bait! beat them first, THEN make him eat it! you've got a BIG test ahead of you! if you win, you deserve it and umassfan deserves everything to be thrown back at him. if you lose, umassfan deserves another week of backing up his smack talk...

yikes! what am i doing???? who am i defending (in a roundabout way)??? :p

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM
EASY....don't take umassfan's bait! beat them first, THEN make him eat it! you've got a BIG test ahead of you! if you win, you deserve it and umassfan deserves everything to be thrown back at him. if you lose, umassfan deserves another week of backing up his smack talk...

yikes! what am i doing???? who am i defending (in a roundabout way)??? :p
I always like the backup but again lets get to football and not smack...

If UNH wants to win this game they will have to stop Baylark... something they couldnt do last season either. They give up 140 yards rushing a game and we saw how he can take over a game last week vs Maine. Maines D is much better then UNH therefore Baylark could have another career day vs the Wildcats. If so then Santos wont get much time to beat the Minutemen.

Old Cage
October 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Rhody coach today:

'UMass has a Division I-A defensive football team. They are out of the league in terms of A-10,' Stowers said. 'In 25 years of coaching, I've probably only seen three defenses that rank up there with UMass' defense."

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Rhody coach today:

'UMass has a Division I-A defensive football team. They are out of the league in terms of A-10,' Stowers said. 'In 25 years of coaching, I've probably only seen three defenses that rank up there with UMass' defense."
Those are some pretty bold statements... and heck he saw us on a dry track too... :eek:

saint0917
October 26th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Rhody coach today:

I don't know if I would go that far, but the Umass "D" is pretty good. It's going to be a great game no matter who wins, Santos is one of the best if not the best QB in I-AA right now, the Umass "DBs" are going to have thier hands full. If Umass can pound it on the ground and contol the clock and keep Santos off the field Umass will have a good shot at winning, but, if Santos comes out on fire it will be lights out early for Umass.

UNHWildCats
October 26th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Rhody coach today:

The only halfway decent offense they have faced this season was James Madison and that was in the mud. I don't think there opponents to date is a fair sample of how good there defense is.

in there two common opponents URI and Northeastern UNH beat URI 59-3 while Mass beat them 14-6. And Northeastern who UNH beat 52-21 and Mass beat 27-0. Lets assume as people here claim that UNH's defense isnt that good so now you have to assume both these schools have bad offenses which I pointed out earlier.

Out of 120 IAA schools URI ranks 29th in points and 22nd in yards while Northwestern ranks 49th in points and 73rd in yards.

I know someones gonna point at the 21 points UNH gave up to Northeastern but keep in mind UNH led 49-7 at half and by the time they added on there 2 TDs late 3rd and 4th string defenders were in the game.

Basically the reason the Mass defense is so good is because they have faced far inferior offensive teams.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM
The only halfway decent offense they have faced this season was James Madison and that was in the mud. I don't think there opponents to date is a fair sample of how good there defense is.

in there two common opponents URI and Northeastern UNH beat URI 59-3 while Mass beat them 14-6. And Northeastern who UNH beat 52-21 and Mass beat 27-0. Lets assume as people here claim that UNH's defense isnt that good so now you have to assume both these schools have bad offenses which I pointed out earlier.

Out of 120 IAA schools URI ranks 29th in points and 22nd in yards while Northwestern ranks 49th in points and 73rd in yards.

I know someones gonna point at the 21 points UNH gave up to Northeastern but keep in mind UNH led 49-7 at half and by the time they added on there 2 TDs late 3rd and 4th string defenders were in the game.

Basically the reason the Mass defense is so good is because they have faced far inferior offensive teams.

Keep thinking that... 29 points in 7 games is 29 points... I dont care who we played when we played them or where we played them... point is we shut teams down...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM
My gawd, I'm away from the forum for two weeks and all sorts of trash talking UNH fans have materialized. Don't know if I should be happy for more Wildcat folks or not! :rolleyes: Maybe the Florida Panhandle is a parallel universe! :D :D :D

Anyway, I agree with Sam Adams, take the trash talking to the Smack Forum. Just don't expect me over there with you.

My thoughts about the game -- it hurts to be missing it, but I made the choice and am living with it. Should be an excellent matchup, but I'm concerned about the quality of the playing field. Would have the same concern if it was at Cowell -- there's just been so much rain in New England in October and too many games already played on wet grass surfaces.

I have too much respect for the A-10 and the UMass-UNH rivalry to even think about UNH being far superior to UMass or visa versa as some have suggested. And I agree that one game is not the basis for history. I'm sure not getting all excited because one game a couple of years ago UMass was rolling toward the playoffs and had to play Tim Day at QB and ended up derailed by UNH.

And I think far too much is being read into last year's game. While UMass played an excellent game and deserved to win, that whole game for UNH was a bad karma contest with the game plan of virtually all passing and the planned return of Mike Granieri to the lineup. I don't believe Granieri took another snap after that game and the UNH attack was much more balanced the rest of the season. I remember being in the stands at the game last year saying to myself "WTF is going on, this isn't even close to the same team I saw at Delaware, Rutgers, Dartmouth, Villanova and at home versus William & Mary".

No matter how much all the "experts" think they know about both teams, nobody knows what the Any Given Saturday mystique has in store, how the ball is going to bounce on all the flukey plays, what Mother Nature is going to conspire between now and late Saturday, what injuries might occur during the remainder of practice or in the game, etc. Save all you energy writing trash for cheering at the game!

bandl
October 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
What's the injury line on Shannon James?? If he's still out, I think the tide goes SLIGHTLY more in UNH's favor....but I haven't seen the backups too much, so I could be dead wrong.

umassfan
October 26th, 2005, 01:49 PM
What's the injury line on Shannon James?? If he's still out, I think the tide goes SLIGHTLY more in UNH's favor....but I haven't seen the backups too much, so I could be dead wrong.
As I posted earlier... he will play. His backup, Greg Scott, started his career as a QB and then became a WR... He is also on our LAX team.

Maroon&White
October 26th, 2005, 01:50 PM

"Don't make a game plan without me. I'm playing just like I never got hurt." - Shannon James

http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1130290801305480.xml&coll=1

Maroon&White
October 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM
His backup, Greg Scott, started his career as a QB and then became a WR... He is also on our LAX team.

What does that have to do with anything?

TypicalTribe
October 26th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I must admit that I will be rooting hard for UNH to win this game. Mainly, because I think UMass has a much harder upcoming schedule and it could open the way for W&M to run the table and get a home game.

That being said, I think the Wildcats are in for a tough day. The thing that would worry me as a UNH fan is the fact that the offense, as prolific as it is, has a tendency to be feast or famine. In other words, when a defense steps up and hits them in the mouth a couple of times and disrupts their rhythm, they can really struggle. Considering that this is what UMass is best at, and that they did it with pretty good success last year, I think that the Minutemen will win this game, and possibly pretty smoothly.

UMass 30
UNH 17

Sam Adams
October 27th, 2005, 12:02 AM

This post is illogical, full of baseless assumptions, and ends in an unsupported conclusion - thanks for the laugh.

Sam Adams
October 27th, 2005, 12:04 AM

Thanks for more bulletin board material for the UMass Defense. Keep talking ... I love it !!! :D

Sam Adams
October 27th, 2005, 12:15 AM
This will be a close, hard fought contest between two great teams and two great schools. We have been playing UNH for like a hundred years it seems and its always a good one. I ALWAYS have respect for UNH fans and their teams always exhibit great sportsmanship as do the UMass teams. What exactly is the point in creating lame smack board stuff on this board?

This should be one helluva a football game with alot on the line and 2 super teams. 1 thing that folks need to think about in analyzing this game is that UMass has a very talented kicker in Koegel. IMHO much of the UMass success defensively begins with the fact that Koegel has an NFL type of boot that really buries opponents - JMU game being a perfect example.

On the other hand UNH doesn't seem to have to punt since Air Santos generally gets them a TD every time he gets on the field! :eek: :p

ChickenMan
October 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I hope UMass wins big and comes into the Tub next week all 'puffed up' like a toad... :p

89Hen
October 27th, 2005, 07:39 AM
This post is illogical, full of baseless assumptions, and ends in an unsupported conclusion
How's that? Seems there was more analysis in that post than any others I've seen claiming UMass' defensive superiority. No doubt UMass has a good defense, but only time will tell if it's enough to beat UNH.

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Sam Adams
This post is illogical, full of baseless assumptions, and ends in an unsupported conclusion

How's that? Seems there was more analysis in that post than any others I've seen claiming UMass' defensive superiority. No doubt UMass has a good defense, but only time will tell if it's enough to beat UNH.

the reason its illogical to him and baseless is because it proves the point that Perhaps and im not syaing it is just suggesting that Umass defense mayby over rated and he knows it

McUMass
October 27th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Sort of like how UNH's offense COULD be overrated... who knows? So far both team have shown they are very VERY good at their respective strengths, hence a good game. Can't wait to be there watching it!!

GO UMASS!!!!!

bkrownd
October 27th, 2005, 07:23 PM
...what has UMass done to get the field back into decent playing shape???

What do you have against good old fashioned mud?

bkrownd
October 27th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umassfan
His backup, Greg Scott, started his career as a QB and then became a WR... He is also on our LAX team.

What does that have to do with anything?

It means he knows how to win in the NCAA tournament. :o :bawling:

Sam Adams
October 27th, 2005, 07:53 PM
the reason its illogical to him and baseless is because it proves the point that Perhaps and im not syaing it is just suggesting that Umass defense mayby over rated and he knows it

No the reason it is illogical is that you are drawing overly broad conclusions based upon specious assumptions. For example you assume that every team performs the same way in every game. You fail to account for the the fact that every game creates unique matchup scenarios that are not replicated in prior and subsequent performances. You draw the bizarre and unsupportable assumption that both URI and NU have bad offenses. Then you start talking about Northwestern. Then you rationalize UNH giving up 21 points to NU based on your statement that UNH scored late in a blowout. However you did not assess any UMass game based on the same dynamic. Based on all these questionable assumptions you baselessly assert that:

"the reason the Mass defense is so good is because they have faced far inferior offensive teams."

You totally fail to account for the idea that the reason that UMass is the #1 ranked defense in the A10 and 1AA is because they have the best defense thus far in the season.

Great!! You go ahead and presume that having the best defense in 1AA after 7 weeks is simply because everybody UMass has played sucks.

See you on Saturday cats.

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2005, 08:05 PM
No the reason it is illogical is that you are drawing overly broad conclusions based upon specious assumptions. For example you assume that every team performs the same way in every game. You fail to account for the the fact that every game creates unique matchup scenarios that are not replicated in prior and subsequent performances. You draw the bizarre and unsupportable assumption that both URI and NU have bad offenses. Then you start talking about Northwestern. Then you rationalize UNH giving up 21 points to NU based on your statement that UNH scored late in a blowout. However you did not assess any UMass game based on the same dynamic. Based on all these questionable assumptions you baselessly assert that:

"the reason the Mass defense is so good is because they have faced far inferior offensive teams."

You totally fail to account for the idea that the reason that UMass is the #1 ranked defense in the A10 and 1AA is because they have the best defense thus far in the season.

Great!! You go ahead and presume that having the best defense in 1AA after 7 weeks is simply because everybody UMass has played sucks.

See you on Saturday cats.

My bad on mistakingly saying Northwestern, anyone with half a brain would figure that was a typo since I was talking about Northeastern!

The statement about the Northeastern points was that NORTHEASTERN scored twice late when UNH 3rd and 4th stringers were in the game.

Lastly you wanna talk about each game being unique yet you and your buddy Mass fans seem content on assuming your superiority in the upcomming game because of your great defense, therefor any argument to challenge the assertation of your defense is valid, therefor as i stated before your defense is OVERRATED and UNTESTED by a QUALITY offense.

Tribe4SF
October 27th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Any thread that includes the word "specious" is not for me. xpumpukex

And by the way....Go Cats! :hyped:

umassfan
October 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
My bad on mistakingly saying Northwestern, anyone with half a brain would figure that was a typo since I was talking about Northeastern!

The statement about the Northeastern points was that NORTHEASTERN scored twice late when UNH 3rd and 4th stringers were in the game.

Lastly you wanna talk about each game being unique yet you and your buddy Mass fans seem content on assuming your superiority in the upcomming game because of your great defense, therefor any argument to challenge the assertation of your defense is valid, therefor as i stated before your defense is OVERRATED and UNTESTED by a QUALITY offense.
Your offense is OVERRATED and UNTESTED by a QUALITY defense... so cool it.

JMU2004
October 27th, 2005, 09:50 PM
can we just move any and every UMass related post to the smack board....their fans certainly take every thread into the smack area

umassfan
October 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM
can we just move any and every UMass related post to the smack board....their fans certainly take every thread into the smack area
Only when provoked...

JMU2004
October 27th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Only when provoked...

yep...only problem is, every time someone has a different opinion, you people get "provoked"

umassfan
October 27th, 2005, 10:05 PM
yep...only problem is, every time someone has a different opinion, you people get "provoked"
Anyways... back to the game

Forcast for sat is rain/snow and 44 degrees... looks like great weather to slow down a high powered offense :D

JMU2004
October 27th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Forcast for sat is rain/snow and 44 degrees... looks like great weather to slow down a high powered offense :D

I think UMass has paid off mother nature

umassfan
October 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I think UMass has paid off mother nature
If we did then it was a great pay off... getting our moneys worth.

McUMass
October 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM
you people

Now come on, lets not lump us all together :D

GO UMASS!!!!

JMU2004
October 28th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Now come on, lets not lump us all together :D

GO UMASS!!!!

well, its pretty official.....everyone around here hates UMass......and it isn't because of the actions of the football team

umassfan
October 28th, 2005, 03:54 AM
well, its pretty official.....everyone around here hates UMass......and it isn't because of the actions of the football team
Jealous ones envy... guess it sucks being on top because eveyone hates ya.

JMU2004
October 28th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Jealous ones envy... guess it sucks being on top because eveyone hates ya.

hmm...sure, thats it....look at the poll on the lounge............

umassfan
October 28th, 2005, 04:00 AM
hmm...sure, thats it....look at the poll on the lounge............
Already did... made my post there too... People hate whos on top... what can I say. Now that JMU has gone back to their normal ways... its all Delaware and UMass.

UNHWildCats
October 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Pouring rain and mud didnt slow us down against URI.

saint0917
October 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM
you people

Funny, I don't re-call doing any smack on this thread, who are you referring to when you say "You People" :confused:,. Don't lump us all together :nonono2:

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2005, 07:04 AM

JMU2004 you don't speak for "everyone around here" (wherever that is). Most people understand this is simply a football discussion board and there is no reason to "hate" an entire university full of students (even if its JMU). Chill out on the bogus rhetoric, focus on your football team, get over JMU's loss to UMass and Check yourself before you wreck yourself. ;)

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Pouring rain and mud didnt slow us down against URI.

What happened against William & Mary though? :smiley_wi

I am so psyched for this game - wish it was today. LETS GET IT ON !!!!!!!! :hyped:

saint0917
October 28th, 2005, 07:38 AM

They don't hate everybody. ;) There are some very well respectable Umass fans on this board.

bkrownd
October 28th, 2005, 07:42 AM
They don't hate everybody. ;) There are some very well respectable Umass fans on this board.

Hey man, the more they hate the less they concentrate on blocking, tackling, snapping, ball handling, etc. - so let 'em hate hate hate all they want! :D

HE HATE ME! bwwwwaaaaaa!

Wild McGuirk
October 28th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I really hope people don't characterize all UMass fans as being like "umassfan". Most of us are pretty rationale I think.
Especially JMU folks, becaue when I'm in the 'burg I always think that the people there would fit right in at UMass. The whole partying outdoors and wearing flipflops when it's cold out mentality

umassfan
October 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Weather for Sat (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday-details.html?locid=01003&dayNum=1)

Looks like another wet one for sure... now its up to an 80% chance of rain and snow...

umassfan
October 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
UMass's key to bringing home the W (http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2005/10/28/sunshiner_warmed_to_umass/?page=2)

Sam Adams
October 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Weather for Sat (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday-details.html?locid=01003&dayNum=1)

Looks like another wet one for sure... now its up to an 80% chance of rain and snow...

How dare they try to play a football game outdoors in the the cold rain & snow. ;)

One thing is for sure, UNH will not be whining about the weather.

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2005, 09:26 PM
As the high-tech brain-drain from Mass to NH continues, UNH ekes out a 19-17 win! The bedraggled Nanosecondmen go on to lose to Da Hens, but that's another story! :p

bkrownd
October 28th, 2005, 10:35 PM
As the high-tech brain-drain from Mass to NH continues, UNH ekes out a 19-17 win!

Hey man, our Polymer Science department can whoop their Polymer Science department any day!

umassfan
October 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM
As the high-tech brain-drain from Mass to NH continues, UNH ekes out a 19-17 win! The bedraggled Nanosecondmen go on to lose to Da Hens, but that's another story! :p
With UDs WRs going down like flys... they will become cuff and cuff only... I feel bad for Riccio because he has no one besides cuff to throw to anymore... We will NOT lose to the hens but first we need to kick some wildcats all over the field... One game at a time there ivy... BTW hows harvards season looking this year ;)

charliej
October 28th, 2005, 11:12 PM

That brings up another question. How will UMass handle a decent team on a good field?

I noticed that Maine,who is dead last in total O in the A10,was able to put up over 400 yds on the minutemen when playing on turf.

blukeys
October 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Hey man, our Polymer Science department can whoop their Polymer Science department any day!

YO!!! Watch the Smack!!! This is the Discussion Board. Reasoned opinions only! Everyone knows that Delaware's Polymer Science department is the envy of the A-10. We may be young but we have several endowed chairs thanks to the Dupont company. We have an up and coming Defense thanks to our grants from DARPA for new armor for Abrams tanks. No one else in the A-10 can boast of that. Our Offense is led by DR. Sonny whose work in Polymers for the aircraft industry gives us an excellent air attack. If we could only get a law school. (We kicked one away 30 years ago) We could take on Harvard. ;) ;) :) :) :)

umassfan
October 29th, 2005, 01:55 AM
That brings up another question. How will UMass handle a decent team on a good field?

I noticed that Maine,who is dead last in total O in the A10,was able to put up over 400 yds on the minutemen when playing on turf.

I have been reading alot of quotes and from what I gather... when shannon james went down it threw alot of our rotations out of wack... he has played in every game of his career(i think started them all too) so when the glue is gone to the D.... it changes a few things... with that said we still held them to 14 points on two bombs.

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I have been reading alot of quotes and from what I gather... when shannon james went down it threw alot of our rotations out of wack... he has played in every game of his career(i think started them all too) so when the glue is gone to the D.... it changes a few things... with that said we still held them to 14 points on two bombs.

...and Shannon James was superb for UNH letting David Ball get behind him for 4 TD's and could have been 6 TD's if Santos was able to hit the wide open receivers Aaron Brown and TE Sean Lynch.

Umass74
October 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM
...and Shannon James was superb for UNH letting David Ball get behind him for 4 TD's and could have been 6 TD's if Santos was able to hit the wide open receivers Aaron Brown and TE Sean Lynch.

UNHKnowledge:

James is a free safety not a corner. Ball caught one TD each off Steve Costello CB and one off Tracy Belton CB. I don't know who was covering on the other one or the scramble TD.

And if you want to talk what might have been, then that called back UMass TD on a motion penality would have won the game for UMass. And everybody here would be bad mouthing UNH's defense.

You won. You have a superb offense. You are my pick for National Champions.

Maybe we'll get a do-over in the playoffs...

UNHWildCats
October 30th, 2005, 09:55 AM
UNHKnowledge:

James is a free safety not a corner. Ball caught one TD each off Steve Costello CB and one off Tracy Belton CB. I don't know who was covering on the other one or the scramble TD.

And if you want to talk what might have been, then that called back UMass TD on a motion penality would have won the game for UMass. And everybody here would be bad mouthing UNH's defense.

You won. You have a superb offense. You are my pick for National Champions.

Maybe we'll get a do-over in the playoffs...

You cant assume that TD would have given Mass the win cause then UNH wouldnt have been keeping the ball on the ground for there last couple possesions!

Umass74
October 30th, 2005, 10:09 AM
You cant assume that TD would have given Mass the win cause then UNH wouldnt have been keeping the ball on the ground for there last couple possesions!

Who knows? If UNHKnowledge can speculate, then so can I.

Especially since he does not know what position James plays or who was covering Ball.

Congradulations on your victory and a great year.

Again, it would be nice to meet in the playoffs.

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I have been reading posts on this site for quite some time now as i just never felt the need to reply or give my two cents. But now is as good a time as any because as of lately ppl have been making statements that lead me to believe they have no fb smarts. unhknowledge said james got beat for 4 td's and umass fan said he didnt get beat. well the truth is massfan is right about belton and costello getting beat. but the other 2 tds umass was in cover 2, both to james' side. he should have cheated over to Mr. Ball but Santos looked him off and ball found the hole in the zone..... so you were both partly right .... but dont take anything away from james he is a heck of a player but with that said umass "d" is not as good as ppl make them out to be

go unh

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Who knows? If UNHKnowledge can speculate, then so can I.

Especially since he does not know what position James plays or who was covering Ball.

Congradulations on your victory and a great year.

Again, it would be nice to meet in the playoffs.

C'mon bitter man...I know what position Shannon James plays and I know that they weren't ignoring David Ball. Ball simply beat your corners and got over top of James with ease.

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM
James should be embarassed after he and his teammates disrespected UNH in every paper that I read.

blukeys
October 30th, 2005, 12:21 PM
James should be embarassed after he and his teammates disrespected UNH in every paper that I read.

any links?

Umass74
October 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I have been reading posts on this site for quite some time now as i just never felt the need to reply or give my two cents. But now is as good a time as any because as of lately ppl have been making statements that lead me to believe they have no fb smarts. unhknowledge said james got beat for 4 td's and umass fan said he didnt get beat. well the truth is massfan is right about belton and costello getting beat. but the other 2 tds umass was in cover 2, both to james' side. he should have cheated over to Mr. Ball but Santos looked him off and ball found the hole in the zone..... so you were both partly right .... but dont take anything away from james he is a heck of a player but with that said umass "d" is not as good as ppl make them out to be

go unh

Smarts1:

Thanks for joining in. We need your expertise since we got no football smarts.

umassfan
October 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
So every TD that goes against umass goes against James? Come on man get real.

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM
So every TD that goes against umass goes against James? Come on man get real.

3 out of 4 on saturday were...they were only in man once. Its ok though...maybe he won't be so confident next time...oops he probably won't get a next time.

umassfan
October 30th, 2005, 03:11 PM
3 out of 4 on saturday were...they were only in man once. Its ok though...maybe he won't be so confident next time...oops he probably won't get a next time.
He is still the best DB in all I-AA... you must have been watching a different game then me because he was not burnt for 3 of the 4 tds. Also he plays safety not CB therefore you have no idea what his job was to do on each play. We dont run your normal D buddy.

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 05:40 PM
He is still the best DB in all I-AA... you must have been watching a different game then me because he was not burnt for 3 of the 4 tds. Also he plays safety not CB therefore you have no idea what his job was to do on each play. We dont run your normal D buddy.

U're in Vegas, I was at the game. Everyone in the country knows that he is a safety and everyone also knows that he got beat and everyone DEFINITLY knows he's not the best DB in the country.

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM
wow... this forum stuff gets pretty intense.... First i would like to say not all fans of UNH are like knowledge.... and i hope all Mass fans are not like Umassfan.... with that said, in an earlier post i explained that James did not get beat 4 times but he got beat over the top in the cover 2 (twice) when Ball found holes in the zone. i am well aware of the fact that Umass plays a NFL style defense so do not reply and tell me that... because the fact is a cover 2 is a cover 2 (they do much more up front with coverage but none the less 2 deep is 2 deep) James is the best Db in nation... but he made poor decisions in the UNH game. I dont care if the coach told him to not to shadow Ball.... an all american should know that Ball is a game breaker and he needs much more attention then your average wide out.... Knowledge knows his football but he goes about it the wrong way.

Maroon&White
October 30th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Ball is definitely the best player on the UNH team.

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 10:03 PM
wow... this forum stuff gets pretty intense.... First i would like to say not all fans of UNH are like knowledge.... and i hope all Mass fans are not like Umassfan.... with that said, in an earlier post i explained that James did not get beat 4 times but he got beat over the top in the cover 2 (twice) when Ball found holes in the zone. i am well aware of the fact that Umass plays a NFL style defense so do not reply and tell me that... because the fact is a cover 2 is a cover 2 (they do much more up front with coverage but none the less 2 deep is 2 deep) James is the best Db in nation... but he made poor decisions in the UNH game. I dont care if the coach told him to not to shadow Ball.... an all american should know that Ball is a game breaker and he needs much more attention then your average wide out.... Knowledge knows his football but he goes about it the wrong way.

James is not the best DB in the country and YOU know that, but I obviously think highly of him because he was on my fantasy team on a previous post.

footballsmarts1
October 30th, 2005, 10:51 PM
who is the best then? Knowledge i think he is the best but you seem to think differently or Doughty. i listen to one of his on the radio this year and it seemed like i heard his name 100 times

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 11:17 PM
who is the best then? Knowledge i think he is the best but you seem to think differently or Doughty. i listen to one of his on the radio this year and it seemed like i heard his name 100 times

I'm gonna pleade the 5th...my opinions are very good for starting up commotion. I'm gonna wait and see how James plays against Hofstra (season finale) before I put him back in my top 3 DB list.

UNHknowledge
October 30th, 2005, 11:26 PM
If all you want is commotion then you should post on the Smack board. This is for reasoned discussion.

Never said tryin to start commotion, I said my opinoins seem to cause commotion.

Ralph,
I understand that nobody on this site disagrees with you except me because you run this site but I'm just a fan. You seem very short with me. I just like UNH football...not a guru.

McUMass
October 30th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Great game, UNH was the better team... no excuses. Other than that, Im not sure how this whole thing got skewed and put on jamses' shoulders.The guy is one of the best at his position in the nation and didn't play his best a week after suffering from a concussion. He also did NOT give up four touchdowns on his own, UNH's offense played better and won them the game... period.

Congrats on the win, hopefully we'll be seeing you in the playoffs.

umassfan
October 31st, 2005, 01:58 AM
U're in Vegas, I was at the game. Everyone in the country knows that he is a safety and everyone also knows that he got beat and everyone DEFINITLY knows he's not the best DB in the country.

Okay I dont think everyone Definitly knows anything you stated... Yes I am in vegas but the game was on tv... did you forget that? As for the best DB in the country... He was last years A10 D player of the year, rated as the number 1 small school prospect in the country(all poss), and first team all american for everyone who puts out a list... therefore I would say EVERYONE thinks he is the best DB in I-AA... He is also the current active leader in INTS in all of D-I football. Maybe you should learn more about I-AA football and not just UNH before you open your mouth... Yes everyone on here knows how I support UMass but I do know my I-AA.

UNHknowledge
October 31st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Okay I dont think everyone Definitly knows anything you stated... Yes I am in vegas but the game was on tv... did you forget that? As for the best DB in the country... He was last years A10 D player of the year, rated as the number 1 small school prospect in the country(all poss), and first team all american for everyone who puts out a list... therefore I would say EVERYONE thinks he is the best DB in I-AA... He is also the current active leader in INTS in all of D-I football. Maybe you should learn more about I-AA football and not just UNH before you open your mouth... Yes everyone on here knows how I support UMass but I do know my I-AA.

You spent 2 weeks talkin your team up...excessive diahrrea from the mouth and you lost. You must think that i think shannon james is bad...which is obviously not the case...he was the first one i put on my fantasy team a few weeks ago. You should stop worrying about me and start your gabbing at the UD, Army, and Hofstra fans because they are your real problem now. UNH beat UMass...its over.

wildcat_fan
October 31st, 2005, 01:06 PM
Well, now that UNH has settled the score from last year and proven which team belongs at the top of the division, what are your thoughts about next week's game against Hofstra? They have given UNH trouble in the past, and despite UNH's juggernaut offense, I am worried about this game. BTW, I'm new to this forum. I'm no expert on the technical aspects of football, but I love my UNH Wildcats.

89Hen
October 31st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Yes everyone on here knows how I support UMass but I do know my I-AA.
Really? :cool:

Edit: I just reread that and I'm now assuming you were going for that everyone here knows how you support UMass and not that everyone here knows that you know your I-AA.

dwtime
October 31st, 2005, 01:54 PM
Well, now that UNH has settled the score from last year and proven which team belongs at the top of the division, what are your thoughts about next week's game against Hofstra? They have given UNH trouble in the past, and despite UNH's juggernaut offense, I am worried about this game. BTW, I'm new to this forum. I'm no expert on the technical aspects of football, but I love my UNH Wildcats.

Welcome fellow Wildcat Fan!

I agree about the Hofstra game, it appears that defense is not their strong suit but they hung a goose egg on Maine. Could be another back and forth contest like the UMass game.

umassfan
October 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Really? :cool:

Edit: I just reread that and I'm now assuming you were going for that everyone here knows how you support UMass and not that everyone here knows that you know your I-AA.
Correct!

charliej
October 31st, 2005, 05:19 PM

Man, you guys are crawling out of cyber space lately! Every time I log in there's another UNH fan! ;) Welcome to the par-tay!

The only thing I'll predict in the Wildcat/Pride match up is plenty of points. I think UNH will take it,but so far this year what I think & what actually happens are, more often than not, very different. :rolleyes:

wildcat_fan
November 1st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Man, you guys are crawling out of cyber space lately! Every time I log in there's another UNH fan! ;) Welcome to the par-tay!

I've been a UNH fan for as long as I can remember. Both of my parents are alums, as am I. Up until last year, we never had much to celebrate with UNH football. They were always competitive but could never win the big game. Ricky Santos and David Ball changed that and now we're coming out of the woodwork.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
I've been a UNH fan for as long as I can remember. Both of my parents are alums, as am I. Up until last year, we never had much to celebrate with UNH football. They were always competitive but could never win the big game. Ricky Santos and David Ball changed that and now we're coming out of the woodwork.

Geez, I didn't know that 1991 and 1994 were THAT long ago! And I know that the Jerry Azumah days gave us something to celebrate. And frankly with the relative disadvantage UNH has due to reliance on out of state players (high out of state tuition) and due to inferior facilities compared to other A-10 teams, I know I celebrated just remaining competitive.

Not picking on you Wildcat_Fan in particular, just kind of amazed at the different prospective I have from a middle-aged heading toward old fart point of view. And I never have quite understood the younger generation's view that anything other than winning means you suck and are not worthy of watching. The UNH Athletic Department will be in a world of hurt if the hockey team started having .500 seasons and the "fans" started ignoring the team.

BTW, I'm very glad to have more UNH fans jumping on the bandwagon because we need more of you if we're going to get Cowell enhanced. Just don't be fickle, stay around for the long haul. Continued success in the A-10 is very difficult, but the product is worth watching regardless of your team's standing. :twocents:

UNHWildCats
November 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
BTW, I'm very glad to have more UNH fans jumping on the bandwagon because we need more of you if we're going to get Cowell enhanced. Just don't be fickle, stay around for the long haul. Continued success in the A-10 is very difficult, but the product is worth watching regardless of your team's standing. :twocents:

Well since the A-10 football conference will be gone soon...it wont be to difficult, lol but continious success in the Colonial Athletic Association will be difficult.

Time for a new stadium!

wildcat_fan
November 1st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Well since the A-10 football conference will be gone soon...it wont be to difficult, lol but continious success in the Colonial Athletic Association will be difficult.

Time for a new stadium!

Is that true? I was just getting used to the A-10. I'm still partial to the Yankee Conference. Definitely second your call for a new stadium. Cowell Stadium is embarrassing particularly when you consider the luxurious new digs that the hockey team got!

UNHWildCats
November 1st, 2005, 02:57 PM
Is that true? I was just getting used to the A-10. I'm still partial to the Yankee Conference. Definitely second your call for a new stadium. Cowell Stadium is embarrassing particularly when you consider the luxurious new digs that the hockey team got!

Yea 7 of the members jumped making the A-10 inelgible to be a conference so the rest of the remaining teams applied for membership with the CAA beggining with the 2007 season it will be the same teams just diff name