PDA

View Full Version : 4 weeks left and playoff possibilities

GSU Eagle
October 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
O.K. Here we go. These are the teams still in contention IMO to make the playoffs:

A-10: UMass, UNH, Hofstra, Richmond, W&M, JMU, Towson and Delaware still have a chance. 8 teams still in the hunt with some obviously in better shape. If I am guessing right now I would say 3 A-10 teams make the playoffs.

Gateway: YSU, WKU, SIU, Ill. St., and UNI all have a chance. 5 teams in the hunt right now. Right now I would put 3 Gateway teams in.

Big Sky: PSU, Montana, MSU, and EWU are still in the hunt. From these 4 I would figure 2 would make the playoffs, but there is a possibility of only 1. Right now I go with 2.

Big South: Coastal Car. is the only real contender here. If they finish 10-1 they will make the playoffs.

Great West: Cal Poly got jibbed last year but I believe they get in this year. 1 bid from Great West.

MEAC: Hampton, SC St., Bethune-Cookman are still in the hunt. I believe only 1 MEAC team will make the playoffs however. Hampton would be the choice now.

OVC: EIU, Jack. St. and EKU are all fighting for the autobid. Only 1 bid should come from this league.

Patriot: Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh and Holy Cross are in the hunt. I have a hard time seeing 2 Patiot teams getting in. I say only 1 Patiot team in.

Southern: ASU, Furman, GSU, Wofford and Chattanooga all have chances. To me it all comes down to the Furman/GSU game in 2 weeks. If GSU wins and wins out I believe the SoCon gets 3 in (ASU, Furman and GSU). If GSU does not win out then I go with 2 (ASU and Furman)

Southland: Texas St., McNeese, NW St. are in the running for what probably will be 2 bids.

So right now I would have
A-10: 3 bids
Gateway: 3 bids
Big Sky: 2 bids
Big South: 1 bid
Great West: 1 bid
MEAC: 1 bid
OVC: 1 bid
Patriot: 1 bid
Southern: 3 bids
Southland: 2 bids

Well that is 18. That won't work. The best I can predict right now is that the 2 that are reduced from the above list will come from:
Possibly not a 3rd SoCon team
Possibly not a 2nd Southland team
Possibly not a 3rd Gateway team
Possibly not a 2nd Big Sky team

So remove 2 of the above 4 and you have 16 playoff teams.

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Probably difficult for the Big Sky to not get at least two teams in. Most publications I've heard has the conference either the strongest or the second strongest this year. Seems crazy that strong a conference would not get at least two in.