PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Question

ISUMatt
October 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
With 8 teams being seeded this yr, do schools still bid on a 1st round home game or will the 8 seeds automatically get the home game. OR plan C, will the seeds be determined by who puts up the most cash. Anyone know for sure?

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
With 8 teams being seeded this yr, do schools still bid on a 1st round home game or will the 8 seeds automatically get the home game. OR plan C, will the seeds be determined by who puts up the most cash. Anyone know for sure?

I didn't know they were seeding 8 teams this year. If so, it's about time. We (WKU) got screwed last year when we went into the playoffs ranked # 3 in the country and were sent on the road. Still, I'm not sure whether the last 4 seed will automatically get a home game. Hopefully WKU will be one of the top 4 seeds and not have to worry about that. Right now it's looking pretty good for us, but our upcoming schedule is brutal.

AppGuy04
October 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
hey topper, u might want to hold your tongue until that sentence is finished, might bite ya in the ass, you know what has happened to #1 teams in the country thus far

yosefcity
October 23rd, 2005, 03:18 PM
I want ASU to host Furman. I don't care how it happens or when. We want Furple again at home.

Killtoppers90
October 23rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
I didn't know they were seeding 8 teams this year. If so, it's about time. We (WKU) got screwed last year when we went into the playoffs ranked # 3 in the country and were sent on the road. Still, I'm not sure whether the last 4 seed will automatically get a home game. Hopefully WKU will be one of the top 4 seeds and not have to worry about that. Right now it's looking pretty good for us, but our upcoming schedule is brutal.

Wasn't the reason we were on the road is because of attendance and bid money to the NCAA, instead of us just getting "jobbed"? Not sure but thought that had a lot to do with it!

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 08:36 PM
hey topper, u might want to hold your tongue until that sentence is finished, might bite ya in the ass, you know what has happened to #1 teams in the country thus far

Well, it hasn't happened yet. What are you going to post when we run the table and finish 10-1?

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Wasn't the reason we were on the road is because of attendance and bid money to the NCAA, instead of us just getting "jobbed"? Not sure but thought that had a lot to do with it!

It absolutely was the reason. Still, that doesn't mean the team and fans didn't get screwed. We deserved a home game (hell, we should have been given one of the top 4 seeds and wouldn't have had to bid), regardless of the bids. Too bad $ determines so much.

galojay
October 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Well, it hasn't happened yet. What are you going to post when we run the table and finish 10-1?

Lets worry about that when it happens. We have the toughest part of our schedule still to come.

We've not even played a Top 25 team yet.

ASU Kep
October 23rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
so...are the 4(8) teams guaranteed home advantage or not?

ASU Kep
October 23rd, 2005, 09:02 PM
nevermind, i somehow missed your post ralph...helpful as always. it would seem pretty crazy to make a seeded team go on the road (unless it's another seeded team). but hey, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

ASU Kep
October 23rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
heh, at least it's not the f'ing BCS in any case.

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2005, 09:59 PM
Lets worry about that when it happens. We have the toughest part of our schedule still to come.

That opportunity is coming fast in the next couple of weeks.
:D

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
That opportunity is coming fast in the next couple of weeks.
:D

Yes, and this week you have the opportunity to play the # 1 team in the country. :eek:

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2005, 10:08 PM
Looking forward to it. :beerchug:

blukeys
October 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
nevermind, i somehow missed your post ralph...helpful as always. it would seem pretty crazy to make a seeded team go on the road (unless it's another seeded team). but hey, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
In '03 unseeded Florida Atlantic hosted seeded Colgate in a semifinal game. Also in '03 highly ranked but not seeded Southern Illinois was sent to Delaware for an opening round game. The discussions on seeding has been ongoing since 2001 when the NCAA stopped seeding the 16 teams and seeded only 4 in the interest of saving travel money after 9-11. The AGS archives have this issue debated to death .

For the record JMU won the NC last year winning every game on the road. However the playoff games at W&M, Furman and Chatty were close enough for anyone who wanted to travel by car.

Toppermaniac
October 23rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
In '03 unseeded Florida Atlantic hosted seeded Colgate in a semifinal game. Also in '03 highly ranked but not seeded Southern Illinois was sent to Delaware for an opening round game. The discussions on seeding has been ongoing since 2001 when the NCAA stopped seeding the 16 teams and seeded only 4 in the interest of saving travel money after 9-11. The AGS archives have this issue debated to death .

For the record JMU won the NC last year winning every game on the road. However the playoff games at W&M, Furman and Chatty were close enough for anyone who wanted to travel by car.

The bottom line is road games should be earned and not bought. If 1-AA football is in such bad shape that they can't crown a champion based on performance and fairness, they they should just fold the tent. Everyone on here always talks about how the 1-AA title is earned on the field as opposed to the 1-A title. While that is partially correct, it damn sure isn't 100% true. Just like in 1-A, $ plays the biggest role. WKU won the title in 2002 by playing the top three seeded teams in successive weeks, all on the road, but that will rarely happen. Simply put, homefield advantages should be earned, just like the title.

UAalum72
October 24th, 2005, 06:23 AM
As I recall Colgate was on the road because they did not submit a bid to host that playoff game, not even the minimum, not that they were outbid.

GannonFan
October 24th, 2005, 08:17 AM
The bottom line is road games should be earned and not bought. If 1-AA football is in such bad shape that they can't crown a champion based on performance and fairness, they they should just fold the tent. Everyone on here always talks about how the 1-AA title is earned on the field as opposed to the 1-A title. While that is partially correct, it damn sure isn't 100% true. Just like in 1-A, $ plays the biggest role. WKU won the title in 2002 by playing the top three seeded teams in successive weeks, all on the road, but that will rarely happen. Simply put, homefield advantages should be earned, just like the title.

Hey, I look at it one way - sure, $ plays the biggest role, but the $ comes from fans - a Montana can get home games because their fans show up every week in multitudes and fork over the $. The fans are being rewarded when their team gets the home games. As far as I know, I think this is the most fan friendly policy out there. Granted, the teams on the field aren't treated that fairly, but they can look behind them and blame the fans for not supporting their program.

Eaglegus2
October 24th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Hey, I look at it one way - sure, $ plays the biggest role, but the $ comes from fans - a Montana can get home games because their fans show up every week in multitudes and fork over the $. The fans are being rewarded when their team gets the home games. As far as I know, I think this is the most fan friendly policy out there. Granted, the teams on the field aren't treated that fairly, but they can look behind them and blame the fans for not supporting their program.

Gannonfan......you have made the correct analysis. The Team that has the most fan support usually gets the bid for the home game. These teams can bid more than the minimum and receive the luxury of hosting. The bidding is more about $$$$ that the NCAA receives.

In the past, Georgia Southern was one of those schools that would put a large number of fans in the seats for a playoff game. Hence, a large payout for the NCAA. Now, I doubt there would be that many fans for a 1st round game at GSU.

shakdaddy3
October 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM

You did play Illinois State who will be in the top 25 this week. not to mention how close that game was.

shakdaddy3
October 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM

You just said that teams going to the Nat'l championship on the road is rare, but you do realize that WKU in 2002 did it and JMU did it last year. So, yea, it does happen and is not as rare as one might think... that's why they play the games instead of just giving the win to the home team, right?

SoCon48
October 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I want ASU to host Furman. I don't care how it happens or when. We want Furple again at home.

That would be just too sweet.

SeattleGriz
October 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Montana got Sam Houston at home last year after getting whooped at SHSU earlier in the season. Of course had EWU not lost to SHSU, we would have gotten them as well.

Anything can happen.

TypicalTribe
October 24th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Montana got Sam Houston at home last year after getting whooped at SHSU earlier in the season. Of course had EWU not lost to SHSU, we would have gotten them as well.

Anything can happen.

Some interesting potential rematches for this season's playoffs:

Umass/Colgate
W&M/Hampton
Cal Poly/Montana
JMU/Furman
CCU/Appy St
GSU/UNH (in NH this time?)

Some are more far-fetched than others, but fun to think up.

SeattleGriz
October 24th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I think a lot of Montana fans would love to see EWU back in Missoula. But on the flip side, EWU scares a lot of fans (myself included) since they have had the most success of all teams in winning at WA-Griz stadium.

ThreadStopper
October 24th, 2005, 09:16 PM
A rematch with the Montana, even in Montana, would be fine by me. First it means Cal Poly is in the playoffs! Secondly, I don't think most Montana and Cal Poly fans really were satisfied with the either team's performance on Saturday. Fumbles, penalties, interceptions and defensive lapes. These are two quality teams that can play better. It would be a great game!

Toppermaniac
October 24th, 2005, 10:18 PM
You just said that teams going to the Nat'l championship on the road is rare, but you do realize that WKU in 2002 did it and JMU did it last year. So, yea, it does happen and is not as rare as one might think... that's why they play the games instead of just giving the win to the home team, right?

If you would actually take the time to read my post before responding, you'd see that I mentioned the fact that WKU won the title in 2002 by playing 3 road games. Now, just how many times has that happened? Not too damn many. Read before you post. It'll make you look smarter.

inpsite1919
October 25th, 2005, 01:14 AM

Hampton will finish the season ranked #1 two of the I-AA Polls, Because
WKU WILL LOSE ANOTHER GAME!!!

Grizo406
October 25th, 2005, 02:10 AM
If that happens I will go swimming in Lake Michigan.

Naked?

Toppermaniac
October 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Hampton will finish the season ranked #1 two of the I-AA Polls, Because
WKU WILL LOSE ANOTHER GAME!!!

Well, guess that could happen, considering the fact that Hampton plays NO ONE!!!!!