PDA

View Full Version : 200 Dollar Jerseys?

AlphaSigMD
August 17th, 2008, 07:37 PM
ASUMountaineer recently informed me that the going price for an ASU game-worn jersey (only white away available) at Fanfest was a wallet-cringing $200.

For this, I think ASU should be ashamed. It's one thing to make the parking more expensive - its a sign of the times - and I understand that in order to work logistics that sometimes prices need to increase. However, 2 years ago, a jersey was $50. Last year, they were $100.

My biggest problem with this particular increase is that it hits the truest ASU fans preferentially (the ones most likely to drive to Fanfest - ps I'm NOT saying that you have to have a GW jersey to be a true fan). These are the people who make the long trek up the mountain in the middle of the summer to see a practice game...true bleeders of black and gold...who are getting screwed on these prices. These aren't the bandwagon fans who account for the extra cars on saturday and therefore for the increased parking problems and prices.

(As a disclaimer to any potential nay-sayer: I wasn't at Fanfest, however I do consider myself true-black fan of ASU. Going to Fanfest is not a requirement for being a true fan. I'm just stating that a greater percentage of the fans who show up at Fanfest are the real deal. I also was already the proud owner of a white game-worn jersey, so I wasn't just pissed because I couldn't afford one for myself. I just think that this is a pretty shameful act on ASU's part and hits the most dedicated fans the most.

APPALACHIANstate
August 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I wasn't at Fanfest, however I do consider myself true-black fan of ASU.

What does RACE have to do with this...

xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx

ASU88
August 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM
That's a pretty typical price for a game-worn jersey, pro or college, isn't it?

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Supply and Demand.

Be happy they are going for that much.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I don't know about the pricing but if you truly felt that you needed a jersey then it should be whatever they think they can get out of them. I think it's silly when people buy the jerseys and so forth unless it's for their bar or a bar in their home or possibly for their child. It in no way effects the averages fans ability to attend the games so I think being a discretionary item like that is actually a good way for the University to make some money to pay the bills. Heck UM's field turf with the yard markers were going for aroun $500/ea. and it's a good way to make money for the GSA if people think they need that stuff. The only prices that effect me are the ones to actually attend the games.

gvilleapp
August 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I would never pay $200 for a game jersey, but I have no problem with the school offering them for that price if folks are willing to pay that for them. They sold all of them, so there were plenty of folks there that felt like it was a good deal. My wife and I attended fanfest with 10,000 other App fans and we didn't spend a dime. Just had a good time walking around the field, talking to players and coaches and then watching a very entertaining scrimmage. I was proud that the school offered such a fun event for the fan base and didn't charge anything for it. You only spent money if you wanted to buy something. Free admission and free parking. It was a very family friendly event.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I would never pay $200 for a game jersey, but I have no problem with the school offering them for that price if folks are willing to pay that for them. They sold all of them, so there were plenty of folks there that felt like it was a good deal. My wife and I attended fanfest with 10,000 other App fans and we didn't spend a dime. Just had a good time walking around the field, talking to players and coaches and then watching a very entertaining scrimmage. I was proud that the school offered such a fun event for the fan base and didn't charge anything for it. You only spent money if you wanted to buy something. Free admission and free parking. It was a very family friendly event.

That right there shows they are willing to keep the good fans or even fair weather fans in mind to hold an event like that free of charge for the fans. The Griz do the same thing with a BBQ every year for the fan base.

Go...gate
August 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
ASUMountaineer recently informed me that the going price for an ASU game-worn jersey (only white away available) at Fanfest was a wallet-cringing $200.

For this, I think ASU should be ashamed. It's one thing to make the parking more expensive - its a sign of the times - and I understand that in order to work logistics that sometimes prices need to increase. However, 2 years ago, a jersey was $50. Last year, they were $100.

My biggest problem with this particular increase is that it hits the truest ASU fans preferentially (the ones most likely to drive to Fanfest - ps I'm NOT saying that you have to have a GW jersey to be a true fan). These are the people who make the long trek up the mountain in the middle of the summer to see a practice game...true bleeders of black and gold...who are getting screwed on these prices. These aren't the bandwagon fans who account for the extra cars on saturday and therefore for the increased parking problems and prices.

(As a disclaimer to any potential nay-sayer: I wasn't at Fanfest, however I do consider myself true-black fan of ASU. Going to Fanfest is not a requirement for being a true fan. I'm just stating that a greater percentage of the fans who show up at Fanfest are the real deal. I also was already the proud owner of a white game-worn jersey, so I wasn't just pissed because I couldn't afford one for myself. I just think that this is a pretty shameful act on ASU's part and hits the most dedicated fans the most.

Colgate often raffles theirs off; $200 sounds about right.

appsfan
August 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I don't have a problem with $200 game jerseys. That is a bit less than authentic NFL jerseys. I don't think you can say that this hits the truest ASU fans preferentially or that they are getting screwed. I look at it as part of the price of success. I might feel differently if the price was higher (instead of lower) than similar types of jerseys. Other schools, what prices have you seen for your respective jerseys?

james_lawfirm
August 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Alpha:

I usually enjoy your posts, however, why so negative? If you weren't even there, then what's the problem?

There is, after all, a remedy for a high price shirt. DON'T BUY THE FREAKING SHIRT!!!! Nobody's forcing them on you. And, near as I can figger, you're not buying them accidentally.

Apparently, somebody out there is willing to pay that, else none would be sold.

Further, isn't it all going to a good cause?; e.g., ASU athletics.

I think all you fellers who got yer panties in a wad over expensive shirts at Fan Fest were asleep in Economics 101.

feb18blacksunday
August 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
You peeps forgot to add that they were the gw jerseys for the Michigan game. I think they sold all of them.

elkinftball2002
August 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
speaking of fanfest whats the deal with armanti not signing autographs but for like 10 minutes.

appstate38
August 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Tell you what Alpha... I will sell you the jersey I wore back in '92. It is the original to the throwbacks the Apps will be sporting this year. I will only charge you half of what they did just to be nice. How's that sound?xsmiley_wix

griz&beer
August 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I think the number 37 went for $400 $500. I got a speical number 15 made for 200 something.

griz&beer
August 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I think the number 37 went for $400 $500. I got a special number 15 made for 200 something. xeyebrowx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Tell you what Alpha... I will sell you the jersey I wore back in '92. It is the original to the throwbacks the Apps will be sporting this year. I will only charge you half of what they did just to be nice. How's that sound?xsmiley_wix

It's not worth much unless it's the #38, it's what all the cool guys are wearing for App State apparel so if it isn't #38 you are SOL. For the Griz though it's #37.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I think the number 37 went for $400 $500. I got a speical number 15 made for 200 something.

A few years back I had a #37 that I had signed by all the players that wore it since Paulson started handing it down and it went for almost $2000 at an auction that was held for a friend with cancer.

Jerbearasu
August 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
You peeps forgot to add that they were the gw jerseys for the Michigan game. I think they sold all of them.

I bought a jersey. #9 DJ Smith. One of my best friends bought #31 Pierre Banks... NEITHER JERSEY HAD A GRASS STAIN, TEAR OR SMUDGE ON THEM... THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY THESE JERSEYS WERE EVER WORN IN A GAME!!!

I bought a black game day jersey after the 05 season (#6 Jerome Touchstone) and it had stitchings that were coming out of where his name would have been, a few grass stains and lots of knicks and tears in it that you could tell it was actually worn in the game.

I think it is wrong they were advertising the jerseys that were sold yesterday as the jerseys worn in Michigan Stadium bc I can promise you they weren't. That being said they are authentic and I got mine signed by DJ so I am still happy with the purchase...

Skjellyfetti
August 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
They should sell them for as much as people are willing to pay, imo.

Also, the throwback jerseys we are wearing against Jacksonville will be auctioned off after the game as well. (I hope they sell for a ton).

ppalachian State's football program is turning the clock back -- for one game, anyway.

When the Mountaineers play their home opener Sept. 6 against Jacksonville, they'll wear throwback uniforms from the 1989 season in honor of Jerry Moore's 20th season as their coach.

The black helmets will have a gold center stripe flanked by white stripes. The black jerseys will have white numerals with gold trim, and two gold stripes around each sleeve. The gold pants will feature black, white and gold stripes on each leg.

Moore is the winningest coach in Appalachian State and Southern Conference history with a 167-70 record. He has won the league's coach of the year award five times.

After the game, the school will auction off the jerseys.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=443431

AlphaSigMD
August 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Alpha:

I usually enjoy your posts, however, why so negative? If you weren't even there, then what's the problem?

There is, after all, a remedy for a high price shirt. DON'T BUY THE FREAKING SHIRT!!!! Nobody's forcing them on you. And, near as I can figger, you're not buying them accidentally.

Apparently, somebody out there is willing to pay that, else none would be sold.

Further, isn't it all going to a good cause?; e.g., ASU athletics.

I think all you fellers who got yer panties in a wad over expensive shirts at Fan Fest were asleep in Economics 101.

I understand quite well the reason that ASU is charging $200 for the jersey's, however I do not agree with it. A 400% increase over the course of 2 years for a shirt just seems more-than-a-little-excessive. I just think it sets a bad example and its a poor play on the part of ASU athletics.

ASU athletics is certainly not hurting for money since our bell-weather of the last 3 years. I'm quite certain our bank account has never been so high. I mean if its so bad that we have increase the prices on everything, how did we ever survive years like 2003, 2004. Did our players have to go without? Nope.

So the answer to the question "can ASU sell a jersey for $200 dollars?" has already been answered. A better question to ask is wether or not they should. Some may agree that its a fair price overall, and some may disagree, but all I'm saying is that after a few years of them being the same set price for them to double in price in each of to consecutive years is a little ****ty.

But then again, I guess you've never complained about the price of gas?

AlphaSigMD
August 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM

Believe if or not, I already have an away jersey from the 1987 year. I think they were pretty close.

I wore it to the national championship game this year, and I had quite a few people ask me where they could get one.

Maybe I should send them your way?

T-Dog
August 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Here's your answers for this (from the MMB).

1) They sold all the $200 jerseys they had. If they sold them all, there is certainly a demand for them and the price might go up. Plus, 50 jerseys x $200 = $10,000.

2) About Armanti, apparently he was on a tight schedule and only had 15 minutes to sign stuff. Stuff happens. He's sign stuff if you go up to him and ask nicely. He's the face of the team and one I'm very proud of myself, on and off the field.

3) Last, remember that ASU didn't have to have a FREE Fanfest with FREE parking and FREE interaction with the players. Yeah the merch went up in price, but there's a huge demand for it, so it's simple S+D. Yeah it's harder to park, harder to get seats and such, but it's a good problem to have. It does put some of the older fans in a pickle who have donated the same amount for years and are now being bumped down because of higher donors, but that's economics. Part of College Football is a business. You need money to survive and possibly thrive.

The good ol days at App weren't really all that great. Sure things were cheaper and more convenient back then, but 30K are now going to games instead of 10-15K, we have more microphones and cameras focused on us than ever before and tons more in money. Before the current administration, football was barely getting by because it was an afterthought of the administration.

It'd be like a farmer who has a core of crops year in an year out. He barely gets by on it. Then one year, he gets twice as many crops due to great weather and other variables. He has to work harder and spend more to harvest them, but he's making more money and getting more results and the market is in demand so prices go up and he profits. But then he says it was better in the old days because it was more convenient to do that core of crops and he wasn't spending as much money and he's just going to concentrate on that core of crops so he doesn't have to buy the more expensive machinery to harvest his fields despite the fact that he's making tons of money and his profits are higher than ever. It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah....bit of a rant there, but after reading the thread(s) on MMB and seeing it here, I got a bit riled up.

And oh yeah, you don't have to buy the jersey. You can still get a lower quality replica for 30-40 bucks around town (plus you can use the coupon for 20% off that you got....guess where....at Fanfest!)

BeauFoster
August 18th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I understand quite well the reason that ASU is charging $200 for the jersey's, however I do not agree with it. A 400% increase over the course of 2 years for a shirt just seems more-than-a-little-excessive. I just think it sets a bad example and its a poor play on the part of ASU athletics.

ASU athletics is certainly not hurting for money since our bell-weather of the last 3 years. I'm quite certain our bank account has never been so high. I mean if its so bad that we have increase the prices on everything, how did we ever survive years like 2003, 2004. Did our players have to go without? Nope.

So the answer to the question "can ASU sell a jersey for $200 dollars?" has already been answered. A better question to ask is wether or not they should. Some may agree that its a fair price overall, and some may disagree, but all I'm saying is that after a few years of them being the same set price for them to double in price in each of to consecutive years is a little ****ty.

I guess you are forgetting about that $50mil facility enhancement that we are in the middle of completing? And there's those scholarships that aren't completely funded yet, too. Anyone that complains about the price of a jersey, a complete luxury item, gets no sympathy in my book.

ASU88
August 18th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Some may agree that its a fair price overall, and some may disagree, but all I'm saying is that after a few years of them being the same set price for them to double in price in each of to consecutive years is a little ****ty.
Actually, that pales in comparision to what they have done to the price of parking.
- Two years ago, Raley lot and Greenwood lot were free parking, first-come first-serve.

- Last year, Raley became Yosef club with $250 donations. Greenwood remained free.

- This season, Raley AND Greenwood are Yosef club with $1000+ donations.

I don't like it, but the school is striking while the iron is hot. Demand is at record levels and they can get away with it. I can't think of many schools that wouldn't do the same given the situation.

jonmac
August 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM
We also have to remember that this wasn't a yard sale. These are collectables. Go to a sports memorabilia shop and see what "game worn" jerseys go for. And as for them not being "worn". How many of you have a flag or know someone who has a flag that was "flown" over the Capital or White House. Do you know that there is someone raising and lowering flags all day just to be able to fill as many requests as possible. I would venture to say that that is exactly what happened in this case, the jersey's were worn briefly and then packed away to be sold at fan fest. I would also venture to say to say that the actual "game worn" jerseys are safely sealed away for the time being by the proud PLAYERS that wore them in that great game, rightfully so. Should that have been mentioned in the advertising, maybe, maybe not.

tarmac
August 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I bought a jersey. #9 DJ Smith. One of my best friends bought #31 Pierre Banks... NEITHER JERSEY HAD A GRASS STAIN, TEAR OR SMUDGE ON THEM... THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY THESE JERSEYS WERE EVER WORN IN A GAME!!!

I bought a black game day jersey after the 05 season (#6 Jerome Touchstone) and it had stitchings that were coming out of where his name would have been, a few grass stains and lots of knicks and tears in it that you could tell it was actually worn in the game.

I think it is wrong they were advertising the jerseys that were sold yesterday as the jerseys worn in Michigan Stadium bc I can promise you they weren't. That being said they are authentic and I got mine signed by DJ so I am still happy with the purchase...

I never saw it advertised the jerseys were worn in the Michigan game. This is how they were advertised on GOASU.COM "an exclusive sale of uniforms and travel gear previously worn by your favorite Mountaineers." Note it does not even say game worn just worn.

SideLine Shooter
August 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Actually, that pales in comparision to what they have done to the price of parking.
- Two years ago, Raley lot and Greenwood lot were free parking, first-come first-serve.

- Last year, Raley became Yosef club with $250 donations. Greenwood remained free.

I don't like it, but the school is striking while the iron is hot. Demand is at record levels and they can get away with it. I can't think of many schools that wouldn't do the same given the situation.

That is such a small price to pay to enjoy the success we have had the last three years. xnodx xnodx

elon77
August 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I will bet if you beat LSU and or win 4th in a row they will be more next year. Yep

appfan2008
August 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
to me asu could charge a thousand dollars if they felt they would have people pay that much!

listen... honestly the price will come down if no one buys them... otherwise, asu is making a ton of money so good for them

Banks!!!
August 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I didn't go to Fanfest, but read the griping on the MMB and I think it's unfortunate. Anyone associated with the university or a fan of ASU should be proud of the high price afforded by actual player jerseys...I know I am. I think what might be magnifying this somewhat for the folks mad at the sticker price is the fact that replica jerseys aren't widely available for our team. This is a problem, IMO - that needed to be solved a year or two ago. I'm not sure what the process is, but I'd wager this is costing us some bigtime dollars in lost merchandise sales.

Due to this, I can somewhat understand the disappointment associated with someone driving up the mountain to Fanfest, hoping to score a jersey just to have one with their favorite players name and number on it (game worn or not), and to find out the cost is $200 instead of the $75-$100 they had in mind. Perhaps we'll be able to purchase replica jerseys before too much longer and it won't be as much of an issue.

To the person who got the Banks jersey - I'm completely jealous. Got any extras? :D

HiHiYikas
August 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm disappointed this gripe session spill over onto AGS...wasn't happy to see it on the MMB. It's not something that needs to be discussed on an all-FCS message board. It only perpetuates the negative associations posters already have about ASU fans and the often-ludicrous proliferation of ASU-related threads.

This was the first year I attended Fan Fest, since the 600-mile round trip usually keeps me away from anything but actual games. But I had family stuff going on in Western NC, so I stuck around for most of the weekend and headed up the mountain Saturday morning. I had a very good time.

I mentioned to my wife that I might buy a jersey, and that it would be very expensive. She balked at first, but said it could be an early birthday present. I was among the first dozen or so to shop the surplus sale, but ultimately decided that $200 would be better spent on gas, tailgating supplies, or other more useful fan gear.

$200 for an authentic surplus jersey, even if it didn't get a lot of in-game action, is price that's better than fair.

In a world where a game jersey worn by Scott May of the ECHL Elmira Jackals sells for $300 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmira-Jackals-Scott-May-XX-Patch-ECHL-Game-Worn-Jersey_W0QQitemZ220266980155QQihZ012QQcategoryZ734 21QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), maybe the 3X defending National Champs ought to stop cutting folks such a good deal.

ASUTed
August 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Do you realize that the athletic scholarships for the university are still not fully funded! The field hockey team has less that half the team on full scholarships that they divide up, heard that at the charlotte yosef rouser. If you didn't go, and you aren't goind to buy one, then why does it even matter to you? If you think ASU has enough money, then you must be crazy, we have been scraping by for years and are just now able to approach the funding we need to pay for the scholarships. I doubt you would have a very good team to pull for with a bunch of walkons. I understand $200 isn't priced for everyone, but it was not intended for everyone, they only had 60. We are no longer small time, powdunk football, and big time football costs money. You might want to go to any ACC school and see what an authentic jersey costs there, it is $150+.

The Moody1
August 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM

The only one that should be ashamed is you. Why were you compelled to bring this up on a national FCS board? If you have a problem why don't you call Charlie Cobb and address it with him.

Appaholic
August 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I see the ASU Nazi / NeoCon / Al Quaida fanbase contingent is in full affect today. AlphaSigMD brought up a b*tch, whether or not valid, on a national message board because he is a regular poster on said board. He brings this up as a discussion topic to generate, you guessed it, discussion. He has stated his beef with the policy in a concise and mature manner. The responses are to question his loyalty and that he should be ashamed........you guys are a fokking joke. It's OK from time-to-time to tell the emperor he is wearing no clothes. That's how policy is debated and decided......have a problem with the amount of money given to App in past years? Look at your local state legislators and ask them why the tax money earmarked for our PUBLIC university system has not been spread equitably.....don't question the local fans who may not be able to give as much as you guys. Forgive us for wanting to participate......we realize it is a matter of supply and demand......don't question our loyalty if we choose to verbalize some of the same thoughts I imagine a fair amount of ASU fans who don't participate on message boards have thought recently.......

BeauFoster
August 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I see the ASU Nazi / NeoCon / Al Quaida fanbase contingent is in full affect today. AlphaSigMD brought up a b*tch, whether or not valid, on a national message board because he is a regular poster on said board. He brings this up as a discussion topic to generate, you guessed it, discussion. He has stated his beef with the policy in a concise and mature manner. The responses are to question his loyalty and that he should be ashamed........you guys are a fokking joke. It's OK from time-to-time to tell the emperor he is wearing no clothes. That's how policy is debated and decided......have a problem with the amount of money given to App in past years? Look at your local state legislators and ask them why the tax money earmarked for our PUBLIC university system has not been spread equitably.....don't question the local fans who may not be able to give as much as you guys. Forgive us for wanting to participate......we realize it is a matter of supply and demand......don't question our loyalty if we choose to verbalize some of the same thoughts I imagine a fair amount of ASU fans who don't participate on message boards have thought recently.......

I'll agree with you that anyone who complains about these costs shouldn't be called any less of a fan, they are likely just as big of a fan as you or I. But I do take issue with people calling the administration greedy in this instance (and the YC increases - you and I had that fight a few months ago). That is a point where our views diverge. It is fine if someone wants to complain about the cost of any item - I'll listen to the argument. But if someone is going to critique, they need to be prepared for their arguments to be analyzed, as well. Again, the person doesn't deserve to be attacked, but their argument can be. xthumbsupx

BeauFoster
August 18th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Double post, sorry!

Appaholic
August 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'll agree with you that anyone who complains about these costs shouldn't be called any less of a fan, they are likely just as big of a fan as you or I. But I do take issue with people calling the administration greedy in this instance (and the YC increases - you and I had that fight a few months ago). That is a point where our views diverge. It is fine if someone wants to complain about the cost of any item - I'll listen to the argument. But if someone is going to critique, they need to be prepared for their arguments to be analyzed, as well. Again, the person doesn't deserve to be attacked, but their argument can be. xthumbsupx

Agreed.....I was looking for a fight with my thread (hence the title "Appalachian Money Whore"), but hate to see someone attacked for merely bringing up a topic for discussion......counter the argument, but don't question his fanhood....xpeacex

BeauFoster
August 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Agreed.....I was looking for a fight with my thread (hence the title "Appalachian Money Whore"), but hate to see someone attacked for merely bringing up a topic for discussion......counter the argument, but don't question his fanhood....xpeacex

You? Looking for an argument? Now I've heard everything! xlolx

Aho_Old_Guy
August 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM

xeyebrowx

I think perhaps you are being a bit harsh.

As noted this is not the 'forum' for you to launch your tirade. The issue is one to be raised with Charlie, Chancellor Peacock and Jimmy Deal.

I take it you have contributed to the Facilities Enhancement Campaign? Maybe you are a member of the Yosef Club? Or perhaps you contribute to any of Appalachian's endowment funds?

Perhaps you don't. That's okay, too.

It takes more than public money (tax dollars) to run a state university in North Carolina. I'm happy they can get $200 for a jersey and hope this coming season is successful enough that they can get $300 each at next years FanFest.

Because when we win on the field it benefits not only the entire university but the local community as well.

UNHWildCats
August 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
why would u even wear a GW jersey? If I was to buy one it would be for a fav player and then I would attempt to get it signed and then frame it.

$200 for one seems more then fair to me.

ASU88
August 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
That is such a small price to pay to enjoy the success we have had the last three years. xnodx xnodx
I don't disagree, which is why I still go to the games. But I don't have to like that it either costs more (if you poney up) or causes inconveniences (if you don't).

But yes, I wouldn't trade the last 3 years for anything. It's been a great ride ... that hopefully isn't quite over yet! :)

AlphaSigMD
August 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I guess you are forgetting about that $50mil facility enhancement that we are in the middle of completing? And there's those scholarships that aren't completely funded yet, too. Anyone that complains about the price of a jersey, a complete luxury item, gets no sympathy in my book.

You might want re-read either of my original posts. I never asked for, nor do I desire your sympathy.

I was calling attention to a particular grievance that I was concerned about as far as the school was concerned. I believe it was legitimate to do so, considering the grievance was directly concerning a FCS related topic and this is an FCS related message board.

I can assure you that your justifications do not fall on deaf ears, and I certainly understand your ASU espirit de corps, however I stand behind my initial statement and rationalization.

AlphaSigMD
August 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM

I addressed the parking situation and how I believe its justified in my original post.

That increase hits everyone, even away fans, equally.

AlphaSigMD
August 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm disappointed this gripe session spill over onto AGS...wasn't happy to see it on the MMB. It's not something that needs to be discussed on an all-FCS message board. It only perpetuates the negative associations posters already have about ASU fans and the often-ludicrous proliferation of ASU-related threads.

This was the first year I attended Fan Fest, since the 600-mile round trip usually keeps me away from anything but actual games. But I had family stuff going on in Western NC, so I stuck around for most of the weekend and headed up the mountain Saturday morning. I had a very good time.

I mentioned to my wife that I might buy a jersey, and that it would be very expensive. She balked at first, but said it could be an early birthday present. I was among the first dozen or so to shop the surplus sale, but ultimately decided that $200 would be better spent on gas, tailgating supplies, or other more useful fan gear.

$200 for an authentic surplus jersey, even if it didn't get a lot of in-game action, is price that's better than fair.

In a world where a game jersey worn by Scott May of the ECHL Elmira Jackals sells for $300 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmira-Jackals-Scott-May-XX-Patch-ECHL-Game-Worn-Jersey_W0QQitemZ220266980155QQihZ012QQcategoryZ734 21QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), maybe the 3X defending National Champs ought to stop cutting folks such a good deal.

I am not a member of MMB, and I use this message board as my sole outlet of FCS-related information because of the diversity and intelligence of the members who post.

I did not know that this similar conversation was being had on MMB, however, it does go to show there are other people who feel raw about the situation.

AlphaSigMD
August 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Do you realize that the athletic scholarships for the university are still not fully funded! The field hockey team has less that half the team on full scholarships that they divide up, heard that at the charlotte yosef rouser. If you didn't go, and you aren't goind to buy one, then why does it even matter to you? If you think ASU has enough money, then you must be crazy, we have been scraping by for years and are just now able to approach the funding we need to pay for the scholarships. I doubt you would have a very good team to pull for with a bunch of walkons. I understand $200 isn't priced for everyone, but it was not intended for everyone, they only had 60. We are no longer small time, powdunk football, and big time football costs money. You might want to go to any ACC school and see what an authentic jersey costs there, it is $150+.

By your phrase "no longer small time powdunk" do you mean that we were "powdunk" when the jersey's cost 50 bucks apiece? So we were a "powdunk" team in 2000 when we were 1 overtime away from the national championship game, or heaven fobid in 2005 when we won our 1st national championship?

As a 2nd generation graduate of ASU believe that you stating ASU was a "powdunk" based totally on football as your qualifier is a little short sighted.

BeauFoster
August 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
You might want re-read either of my original posts. I never asked for, nor do I desire your sympathy.

I was calling attention to a particular grievance that I was concerned about as far as the school was concerned. I believe it was legitimate to do so, considering the grievance was directly concerning a FCS related topic and this is an FCS related message board.

I can assure you that your justifications do not fall on deaf ears, and I certainly understand your ASU espirit de corps, however I stand behind my initial statement and rationalization.

As I said to Appaholic, you are more than entitled to your opinion. When I said the stuff about sympathy, I meant that I don't agree with the assertion that ASU is gouging people, which is what I deemed your post to mean. I may have completely misread your intention, if so, I apologize. As for the rest of my quoted post, ASU isn't rolling in the cash, I know this for a fact. It was a struggle to get adequate funding for the east side addition, the majority of it came from the state. Yes, ASU has seen significant advances in raising athletic revenue, but that cash has only helped balance the budget as it pertains to student athletic fees. Regardless, we all want the best for our schools, whether we are Cantamounts, Griz, or Mountaineers. xthumbsupx

Thank god it's only 12 days til football...we might not make it otherwise!

AlphaSigMD
August 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
The only one that should be ashamed is you. Why were you compelled to bring this up on a national FCS board? If you have a problem why don't you call Charlie Cobb and address it with him.

If you feel the need to attack me personally because of an opinion I express, that is your own problem, not mine.

I am neither ashamed, nor concerned about bringing this up on an FCS board. Its FCS related, and its my only FCS outlet.

At 50 Jersey's at $200 apiece, thats $10,000.

Thats $5000 dollars more than what they would have had.

Perhaps I will call Charlie and ask him directly. I would be interested to know that if I increased my donation to the ASUAthletics to $5000 if they would lower the price back to $100.

Jerbearasu
August 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I never saw it advertised the jerseys were worn in the Michigan game. This is how they were advertised on GOASU.COM "an exclusive sale of uniforms and travel gear previously worn by your favorite Mountaineers." Note it does not even say game worn just worn.

It was never print advertised but David Jackson was saying it on his mic throughout FanFest. Once again, I am not complaining about the price (I've paid $150 for a Panthers jersey that isn't even the authentic; I think the authentics run around 300 but I may be wrong on that). My only point was that I thought it was wrong that they were saying these jerseys were worn in the games like against UM. It wasn't said just once, it was said multiple times.

I think $50 is ridiculously cheap to get a jersey like these which I got one back in 06. $200 seems reasonable to me but I guess if you look at it like 2 years ago I got it for 1/4 the cost you may feel like it is price gauging... IMO, in 06 and 07 they were just incredibly generous with the prices because they didn't know what kind of demand there would be for the jerseys...