PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Starting QB to be named August 24

ngineer
August 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM
In the Morning Call today, Keith Groller noted that Coen expects to name the starting QB after the intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday, August 24. That will give the starter two weeks of running the #1 unit in leading up to Drake. Groller has further comments posted on his blog at www.mcall.com

The comments do give an upbeat perspective on the team's approach to camp and a real sense of a team on a mission to prove themselves after two mediocre seasons.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
In the Morning Call today, Keith Groller noted that Coen expects to name the starting QB after the intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday, August 24. That will give the starter two weeks of running the #1 unit in leading up to Drake. Groller has further comments posted on his blog at www.mcall.com

The comments do give an upbeat perspective on the team's approach to camp and a real sense of a team on a mission to prove themselves after two mediocre seasons.

The article does have an interesting slant about his job security. It basically seems like Coen knows another losing season combined with a loss to Lafayette and he will be gone.

I've said all along the pieces are in place and it's up to Andy to fit them together. As long as there isn't a rash of injuries i don't see any excuse this team can't reach 8 wins. A lot of teams lose QB's so i'm not buying that as a "problem".

C-Mo
August 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM
who do you think will get the nod?

ngineer
August 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
who do you think will get the nod?

Based on physical ability, my nod would go to Clark. The question will be his execution, decision making and grasp of the offense.
On physical tools:
1. Clark
2. Cisneros
3. Bokosky

Bokosky is a tough kid. Not as tall as Clark or Cisneros, so somewhat hindered in the pocket. He needs to roll out, and has good mobility. Additionally, does not have the arm of the other two. With some nice speed now at WR, he's not the one to 'stretch' the secondary.

I think the Morning Call article was accurate to the extent Coen was boxed in on his offense with Threatt the past two years and no real option. Threatt being injured most of last year put the offense more in a box. Now, it's a brand new day, so 'restrictions' on which way the offense is to go.

LUHawker
August 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
The Morning Call reporter, Keith Groller, also maintains a blog and the latest entry was more detail that didn't make the press story. I'm interpreting the tone from Coen as relieved regarding the graduation of Threatt. I think Coen genuinely liked and admired Threatt, but he wasn't his type of QB. This is the most optimistic take on Lehigh I've read in almost three years.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

ngineer
August 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM
The Morning Call reporter, Keith Groller, also maintains a blog and the latest entry was more detail that didn't make the press story. I'm interpreting the tone from Coen as relieved regarding the graduation of Threatt. I think Coen genuinely liked and admired Threatt, but he wasn't his type of QB. This is the most optimistic take on Lehigh I've read in almost three years.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

I agree. Saw the blog later as well and had the same interpretation. Sedale is a terrific person, but the style nor the mechanics were there, but he really had no option. This could/should be his chance to really create the offense in 'his mold'.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Added my 2 cents to the great work by Lehigh athletics and Keith Groller:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2008/08/coach-coen-makes-things-more-crystal.html

Two more programming notes: I added a new poll (Who will coach Coen announce as Lehigh's new QB on Saturday?) and I'm going to start my "Patriot League Offseason 2008" series starting tomorrow.

Pards Rule
August 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
God, would they really ditch Andy after only two seasons? Lafayette gave Tavani quite a few years when he came on to right the ship.

Fordham
August 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
What about the Oline?

I wish you guys the best in the OOC skid but put me down in the skeptical category overall. It's likely our post-Clawson experience that's coloring my opinion here but the results thus far and the comments/frustrations expressed on your board are way too similar to our Foley years experience. Great guy, offensive-line-oriented coach - the kind of guy you can't help but root for but somehow the team doesn't play with passion (going on comments) and it's already year 3 and a new QB with offensive line questions (I think there are oline ?'s but could be proven wrong) all of which combine to make me skeptical.

There's no doubt that the overall talent level is better than what Foley inherited/worked with, so maybe last year will end up being an anomaly. No matter what, I think most Lehigh fans (as well as most PL fans) are taking a 'show me' approach to this year. Those first few games, particularly the opener, are more critical for Lehigh than anyone else in the league imo.

Lehigh74
August 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM
If Coen gets the boot after this year, he would have had three full years on the job not two. However, my gut feeling is that unless Lehigh has a disastrous season Coen will get at least four years to prove himself.

The most interesting aspect of Groller's article and blog posting is that Coen apparently realizes that to be successful he must detach himself from the details of the offense and focus more on the big picture. In my opinion, this is the most significant development for Lehigh football since Lembo left. The last two years Coen has proven himself to be a good recruiter. He has also show that he is a stand up guy and that he is well liked by the players. What he needed to do was learn was how to be a good head coach. The fact that he named an assistant head coach and that his offensive coordinator will be calling the plays are very positive developments. This should give the fans of Lehigh football a reason to believe that Coen still has a real chance to become the type of head coach we hoped for.

LUHawker
August 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM
put me down in the skeptical category overall. No matter what, I think most Lehigh fans (as well as most PL fans) are taking a 'show me' approach to this year.

I think skepticism and "show me" are both legitimate points of view to have. Despite last year's disappointing season, I just want to point out that Lehigh was not horrible. The team lost 4 close games, including tight ones against Fordham, Colgate and Lafayette. I don't think LU is as far back behind the pack as early season poll positions would indicate.

ngineer
August 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Skepticism is legitimate in light of last year. We could not 'seal the deal' in the close games and mostly due to the offense being hamstrung in its ability to move downfield at crunch time with defense getting worn out from being on the field too long. The taking a 'step back' by Coen and delegating more would appear to be a good move...assuming Brown has the 'touch' to dial up the right stuff the situation calls for.

Pard94
August 19th, 2008, 09:18 AM
God, would they really ditch Andy after only two seasons? Lafayette gave Tavani quite a few years when he came on to right the ship.

HUGE difference...Tavani walked into a program that narrowly survived an attempt by it own administration to scuttle the program. Coen was not "righting the ship" He took the helm of a program that was a perenial PL powerhouse and representative in the national playoffs. He assumed control over what was generally considered to be one of the premier QB's in the league (i never agreed with this...Threatt was mediocre at best). Lastly, Tavani had been an assistant at Lafayette for over a decade. Complete apples to oranges comparison.

ngineer
August 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM
HUGE difference...Tavani walked into a program that narrowly survived an attempt by it own administration to scuttle the program. Coen was not "righting the ship" He took the helm of a program that was a perenial PL powerhouse and representative in the national playoffs. He assumed control over what was generally considered to be one of the premier QB's in the league (i never agreed with this...Threatt was mediocre at best). Lastly, Tavani had been an assistant at Lafayette for over a decade. Complete apples to oranges comparison.

Agreed. The comparison of the circumstances each encounted upon taking the reins cannot be done. The debacle Tavani faced warranted him getting a lot of slack from everyone. Coen, unfortunately, inherited a situation that on the surface looked 'great' but in reality had some weaknesses that he was unable to overcome with immediate results. The waiting period is much shorter for him. I think he is secure for a least two seasons so as to get his full recruitment classes and system installed.
Lehigh's program did not 'hit bottom' as Lafayette's did. Tavani literally has had to retool from ground zero. Lehigh going 6-5 and 5-6 is not a similar situation. However, that places more pressure on Coen to get quicker results.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Agreed. The comparison of the circumstances each encounted upon taking the reins cannot be done. The debacle Tavani faced warranted him getting a lot of slack from everyone. Coen, unfortunately, inherited a situation that on the surface looked 'great' but in reality had some weaknesses that he was unable to overcome with immediate results. The waiting period is much shorter for him. I think he is secure for a least two seasons so as to get his full recruitment classes and system installed.
Lehigh's program did not 'hit bottom' as Lafayette's did. Tavani literally has had to retool from ground zero. Lehigh going 6-5 and 5-6 is not a similar situation. However, that places more pressure on Coen to get quicker results.

I do think some people are over reacting a little bit by the 5-6 season. Colgate was i 4-7 in 2006 and turned it around to 7-4 last year. The talent is there i really believe that. Lehigh wasn't terrible last year, the game against Holy Cross was the only game they weren't competitive in. Every other game they lossed they had their chances to get a "W". If Coen can get that little extra out of the team this year they're going to be pretty good. Besides QB there has been very little concern or talk regarding other positions. If Coen can get one to play solid it will only improve their outlook (like Clark to get the nod). The defense is going to be very good, maybe the best in the league. The OL and skill positions are more experienced and there's some developing depth. I'm really looking forward to the Drake game to see what they look like in action. The Villanova game in week 2 should be a great barometer.

Pard94
August 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I do think some people are over reacting a little bit by the 5-6 season. Colgate was i 4-7 in 2006 and turned it around to 7-4 last year. The talent is there i really believe that. Lehigh wasn't terrible last year, the game against Holy Cross was the only game they weren't competitive in. Every other game they lossed they had their chances to get a "W". If Coen can get that little extra out of the team this year they're going to be pretty good. Besides QB there has been very little concern or talk regarding other positions. If Coen can get one to play solid it will only improve their outlook (like Clark to get the nod). The defense is going to be very good, maybe the best in the league. The OL and skill positions are more experienced and there's some developing depth. I'm really looking forward to the Drake game to see what they look like in action. The Villanova game in week 2 should be a great barometer.

If Lehigh beats Nova in week 2 I think all of us non-Mountain Hawks will need to re-examine our expectations for the upcoming season.

LU73
August 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM
If Lehigh beats Nova in week 2 I think all of us non-Mountain Hawks will need to re-examine our expectations for the upcoming season.

In that case, even we Mountain Hawks will be re-examining our expectations for the upcoming season.

ngineer
August 22nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Tomorrow (Saturday) is the 'big' intrasquad scrimmage after which it is expected Coen will name the starting QB. Weather looks great for fair test for the competitors. Sunny and in the low 80's. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to miss it, so I'm hoping LFN will be there as his intrepid self to give us the bits of tid....;)

LUHawker
August 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
In that case, even we Mountain Hawks will be re-examining our expectations for the upcoming season.

I live very close to Nova and I've been over posting on their message board as well. I haven't met a Lehigh or Nova fan that is predicting a Lehigh win, including myself. I'm hoping Nova feels a little "overconfident" entering that game.

ngineer
August 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
I live very close to Nova and I've been over posting on their message board as well. I haven't met a Lehigh or Nova fan that is predicting a Lehigh win, including myself. I'm hoping Nova feels a little "overconfident" entering that game.

No question. They have always looked down their noses at us. Two years ago when we beat them at their place, Talley was the most ungracious loser I'd seen in awhile. It was all because his players didn't take us seriously. Hello...That's the coach's job to point out the strengths of the opposition and be ready for it. VU plays West Virginia next weekend, but then has a week off before playing us. So any bumps and bruises encountered should be healed up. If they play them close or even pull the upset, that would be the best thing for us as they'll consider themselves world-beaters. I also think VU has a big game the week following us, so 'little Lehigh' could be the typical 'trap game'.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Tomorrow (Saturday) is the 'big' intrasquad scrimmage after which it is expected Coen will name the starting QB. Weather looks great for fair test for the competitors. Sunny and in the low 80's. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to miss it, so I'm hoping LFN will be there as his intrepid self to give us the bits of tid....;)

As you can tell since I'm posting here... I'm not going to be at the scrimmage today.

However... I believe that the announcement is not coming today: it's coming the following day. So one more day of waiting... xreadx

ngineer
August 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
As you can tell since I'm posting here... I'm not going to be at the scrimmage today.

However... I believe that the announcement is not coming today: it's coming the following day. So one more day of waiting... xreadx

Probably want to go over the films...xrotatehx

C-Mo
August 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
LFN - when will you continue with the PL previews?

ngineer
August 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Lehigh press release regarding today's intrasquad scrimmage is at www.lehighsports.com Sounds like the offense had some explosions but that the D held its own in the red zone. Interesting comments on Goodman Stadium's new natural turf--a 'faster track'. Coen however said he will name the starting QB for another day or two. Sounds, though, as if its between Junior Bokosky and Sophomore Clark. Both had some nice down field throws and TD passes.

ngineer
August 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Although Coen has not named the starter, yet. It appears circumstances may dictate the result. Although Bokosky reportedly had an 'efficient' scrimmage, he may be banged up somewhat, so it is possible Clark may get the nod due mostly to being more physically able to go on September 6. BTW, freshman Lum out of Michigan has reportedly impressed many with his passing and ability in 'checking down' on his options. Reminds many of Stambaugh.
A few injuries have arisen which may shelve some players, although the time line is uncertain.
One of the big highlights of the camp is tha addition of speed to the Lehigh WR, secondary and kick/punt return units. Some frosh have turned some heads and put some heat on the upperclassmen. 13 days until kickoff!

Lehigh74
August 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Although Bokosky reportedly had an 'efficient' scrimmage, he may be banged up somewhat, so it is possible Clark may get the nod due mostly to being more physically able to go on September 6. BTW, freshman Lum out of Michigan has reportedly impressed many with his passing and ability in 'checking down' on his options. Reminds many of Stambaugh.

What would you say the chances are that like Stambaugh, Lum becomes the starter before the end of his freshman year?

ngineer
August 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM
What would you say the chances are that like Stambaugh, Lum becomes the starter before the end of his freshman year?

Really can't talk about chances at this time. If neither Bokosky or Clark are able to move the offense by mid-October, we could see a move. However, the question will be whether the cause is the QB as opposed to other factors. I hope we don't have to go to that scenario, as it will mean not a very good start.