PDA

View Full Version : Excellent article from the Missoulian

uofmman1122
August 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Just in case the sports page and ESPN are your only news sources, be advised the economy has hit a rough patch.

It takes almost $75 to fill the gas tank of a minivan. The price of eggs has risen 80 percent and milk 23 percent over the past two years.

Even the beloved Griz football team, western Montana's pillar of strength for 15 years, appears headed for a downturn. Former marquee players like Lex Hilliard and Kroy Biermann are fighting for their NFL lives in the Deep South while Griz coach Bobby Hauck works frantically to find replacements.

No longer is Montana considered a serious threat for a national title. The 2008 version will have its hands full extending its streak of 10 straight Big Sky titles against the likes of Eastern Washington. There's even a distinct possibility Montana could lose its opener at Cal Poly.

So it's only understandable Montana season tickets aren't ... whoa, what's that you say?

Montana has sold 19,364 season tickets? Almost 20 percent more than 2007 when Griz fans set a record in anticipation of a memorable march to Chattanooga?http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/08/17/sports/sports02.txt

It's not just about season tickets....I swear! xthumbsupxxlolx

Grizaholic17
August 17th, 2008, 05:30 AM
MOnte's already ridden in on a horse. :p
I liked the statistic about Boise State. It's impressive how montana does it. We drive great distances.

slostang
August 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I like the part where he says there is a distinct possibility that they may lose their opener at Cal Poly.xsmiley_wix

RazorEdge19
August 17th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Don't feel too bitter about the end of your 2007 campaign. It was two classy groups (at least that's the impression each got of the other) going against each other in a classic battle. I certainly wish UM the best in 2008, unless they are playing my T-Dogs. Good luck, Montana, you guys will find a way to win.

catbob
August 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
You sold more season tickets when you added more seats? Crazy.

IndianaAppMan
August 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Very, very impressive. After 3 straight titles, I sure wish ASU would garner that kind of loyalty. What Montana has is truly amazing!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM

yes catbob, and why were more seats added? The point was that even though the expectations are down and it will cost more to go to the games it has not deterred the fans.

elkmcc
August 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM

2008 bobcat season tickets sold* = 7,000
2008 Grizzly season ticket sold* = 19,364

Total WGS seating capacity*: 25,000
Total bobcat seating capacity*:13,000

percentage (season tickets/total capacity)
bobcats = 53.8%
Grizzlies = 77.4%

Total Grizzly 2007 ticket sales revenue**: $4,124,658 (without Griz/cat game)
Total bobcat 2007 ticket sales revenue**:$1,397,691(with Griz/cat game)
http://www.mus.edu/board/meetings/2008/Mar08/Admin_Budget/FY07_MUS_SUMMARY_INCOME_STATEMENT.htm

2008 Griz/cat game revenue (at WGS) expected to exceed $1,200.000

Grizzly 2007 average seat revenue = $179.33 (Does not include Griz/cat game)
Bobcat 2007 average seat revenue = $107.51 (includes Griz/cat game)

* approximate
** actual

pac10jim thinks catbob should quit while he is ahead.xthumbsupx

catbob
August 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I was making a point, not comparing anything. But way to go overboard to prove a point! You guys are getting too touchy these days. I simply pointed out if you add more seats, it would make sense you sell more tickets.

Grizzaholic
August 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I was making a point, not comparing anything. But way to go overboard to prove a point! You guys are getting too touchy these days. I simply pointed out if you add more seats, it would make sense you sell more tickets.

I must have missed something. I thought Pac10 boy was traded from the Big Sky back to the Pac10 for a player to be named later. What is he doing back?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM

catbob it came off fairly condescending and i think you know I don't mind a little smack back and forth. Since it came off condescending you were getting the appropriate style smack responses. Nobody's being touchy about it. If you didn't mean it the way it comes off then no problem that way either just a misunderstanding. We are real happy with the ticket sales so there is really no nerve you could have touched about it since it is a source of pride.

CrazyCat
August 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
CrazyCat thinks the Griz sell more tickets than the Cats :)

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I must have missed something. I thought Pac10 boy was traded from the Big Sky back to the Pac10 for a player to be named later. What is he doing back?

he excercised a no trade clause and has been playing well in limited time so we're keeping him for the foreseeable future. He hasn't posted in a while but he was cracking me up quite a bit with the 3rd person stuff a month or two back.

pac10jim is funny.

wapiti
August 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM

A griz fan getting a bit touchy!!!!!xeekx Never!! That would never happen! xlolx

elkmcc
August 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
CrazyCat thinks the Griz sell more tickets than the Cats :)

pac10jim thinks crazycat knows his stuff.:D

ericsaid
August 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Very, very impressive. After 3 straight titles, I sure wish ASU would garner that kind of loyalty. What Montana has is truly amazing!

We all have to drive too far.

CrunchGriz
August 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM
We all have to drive too far.

Further than the people in Montana? Huh?

Here's the most extreme example of how hard it is for Montanans to reach Griz games:

Plentywood, MT to Missoula, MT by car: 698 miles - one way.

And the Griz have a lot of out of town fans - although certainly not a lot who go 698 miles one way, admittedly.