View Full Version : Iona?

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Any talk as to Iona's strategy going forward? Four sub-IAA opponents on the schedule, but they are traveling to Maine and UC-Davis.

Pioneer? NEC?

danefan
August 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I hope not the NEC. Sorry Iona, but we've already go enough dead weight in the NEC as it is (read Sacred Heart).

Go...gate
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I like Iona, but I hope they are not on the Patriot League's list for possible expansion.

dgreco
August 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I think they are screwed. Indie for a few years, maybe 2, and then shut it down.

hebmskebm
August 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I think they are screwed. Indie for a few years, maybe 2, and then shut it down.

Unless they join Marist in the PFL. It's going to be impossible for them to get games on any sort of consistant basis as an indy (I wonder if Marist will even play them after 2008, I imagine theyd want to keep all of their OOC games with the Patriot/Ivy). Theyve been Frankensteining schedules together from D2, D3 & FCS teams recently, but I can't see how that could work in the long term.

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM
(I wonder if Marist will even play them after 2008, I imagine theyd want to keep all of their OOC games with the Patriot/Ivy).

Who is Marist playing going forward in the Patriot? They're off the Georgetown schedule after 2008 to make room for Old Dominion.

Seawolf97
August 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I hope they hang in there one more season. We play them this year at New Rochelle and they are supposed to visit us in 2009. But if they hint at folding there is plenty of time to schedule another team. Hint Albany, Fordham:)

Lehigh Football Nation
August 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Iona appears to be hanging in there. Their games with Maine and UC Davis show their athletic department is doing a good job giving their players a reason to keep playing - no mean feat.

I think their destiny is to join Marist in some form of conference affiliation. Personally, for men's basketball's sake I think taking them and Marist together for the Patriot League would be a real coup, but I don't think that will happen. I think a more likely scenario would be the PFL breaking apart into the PFL (the midwestern schools and USD) and the Atlantic Sun (the A-Sun teams, Marist, and Iona).

I'd look to 2010, when the NEC gets the autobid. The "Gridiron Classic" would then be between the PFL and A-Sun winners. That's the direction things are going I think. That would also allow Marist and Iona to stay in the MAAC for basketball.

ngineer
August 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Basketball is what drives Marist and Iona...so there could still be a home for them in Patriot.

aceinthehole
August 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM
IMO - Iona has just 2 seasons left playing football, unless the join the PFL.

I think its great they are still playing, but I have no interest in them joining the NEC. With our move to 40 schollys, they have no interest in us either. Don't kid yourself LFN, the $$$ games at Maine and UC-Davis are required to pay for the program, its not about the players. The Iona AD has no interest in subsidizing football - he needs to get the mens hoop team a MAAC contender again. So as long as Iona can get 2 $$ games to pay the bills they may stay alive, but without a conference its difficult to schedule D-I teams and with no chance at a conference championsip it will be difficult to recruit players.

I still think Marist would accept a invite to the Partriot as a FB-only member (not sure if they want to leave the MAAC for everything else), even though they are scheduled to go to the PFL for 2009. I would have taken them into the NEC, but they have stated they have no interset in the NEC scholly model (or our academics). They want to mainitain a competative program on the academic or needs-based grant in aid system. So to me they remain are a good regional non-conference game NEC teams, but we don't need them anymore.

I do see the possiblity of your PFL/A-Sun non-scholly football alliance down the road.

aceinthehole
August 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Who is Marist playing going forward in the Patriot? They're off the Georgetown schedule after 2008 to make room for Old Dominion.

Marist has 11 games on this year's schedule, including six dates at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field. The Red Foxes will compete as a Football Championship Subdivision Independent this season before joining the Pioneer Football League in 2009.

Marist 2008 schedule
08/29/08 at San Diego (PFL)
09/06/08 vs. Lafayette (Patriot)
09/13/08 at Saint Francis (NEC)
09/19/08 vs. Wagner (NEC)
09/27/08 vs. Sacred Heart (NEC)
10/04/08 vs. Bucknell (Patriot)
10/11/08 vs. Bryant (Indy/NEC)
10/25/08 vs. Iona (Indy)
11/01/08 at Fordham (Patriot)
11/08/08 at Georgetown (Patriot)
11/15/08 at Davidson (PFL)

DFW HOYA
August 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I was referring to PL teams in 2009 and beyond...

Go...gate
August 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I was referring to PL teams in 2009 and beyond...

I would predict they will continue to stay on our skeds. Let's face it, you have Lehigh-Drake and Fordham-Dayton, showing that the PL is not going to embargo the PFL - so why not play Marist?

DetroitFlyer
August 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I would predict they will continue to stay on our skeds. Let's face it, you have Lehigh-Drake and Fordham-Dayton, showing that the PL is not going to embargo the PFL - so why not play Marist?

Don't forget Davidson and Georgetown starting up their series again. I hope to see a steady stream of PFL/PL games in the future.

Go...gate
August 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Don't forget Davidson and Georgetown starting up their series again. I hope to see a steady stream of PFL/PL games in the future.

A look at 2009-2011 PL schedules on the PL website indicates your hopes will be realized, at least to some extent. Marist, Dayton and Davidson are on the dance cards of some of our member schools and it looks like Fordham-Dayton is going to continue. Personally, I would like to see Colgate and Davidson play, which they previously did in 1976 (Richardson Field) and 1988 (Andy Kerr Stadium in [what else?] an October blizzard).

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
The magic year for all sorts of conference moves seems to be 2010: with the Big East split, the expansion of the FCS Playoffs, etc. I think that Iona is sticking this out until the magic year of 2010: and at that time, the future of non-scholarship FCS football will be in clearer focus.

I don't think Iona is interested in going to full-scholly football. The key will be Marist. Marist and Iona are just ideal travel partners in an A-Sun conference. Take Marist away, and Iona will have a much harder go with things. Marist seems to want the Patriot League: the question is really, does the Patriot League want them?

An A-Sun conference could have great benefits, oddly, for the Patriot League football-wise. Don't laugh: they are good academic private schools (Davidson, Belmont, Campbell) in the football-fertile south - great for recruiting. Academics and better recruiting - what's not to like? They are also D-I wins - just don't schedule too many.

DetroitFlyer
August 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The magic year for all sorts of conference moves seems to be 2010: with the Big East split, the expansion of the FCS Playoffs, etc. I think that Iona is sticking this out until the magic year of 2010: and at that time, the future of non-scholarship FCS football will be in clearer focus.

I don't think Iona is interested in going to full-scholly football. The key will be Marist. Marist and Iona are just ideal travel partners in an A-Sun conference. Take Marist away, and Iona will have a much harder go with things. Marist seems to want the Patriot League: the question is really, does the Patriot League want them?

An A-Sun conference could have great benefits, oddly, for the Patriot League football-wise. Don't laugh: they are good academic private schools (Davidson, Belmont, Campbell) in the football-fertile south - great for recruiting. Academics and better recruiting - what's not to like? They are also D-I wins - just don't schedule too many.

Hmmmm.... Just a bit on the arrogant side there LFN.... Maybe you can refresh my memory.... What was the score the last time Davidson played PL member Georgetown? Granted, if the A-Sun ever gets off the ground I would not expect it to be a great conference anytime soon, but if teams like Davidson or even Morehead State ended up in the conference, you could have a couple of very competitive teams right off the bat.... Not to mention that Campbell would have a few years under its belt and they could end up being a competitive team as well. Here are some words to the wise.... Never count your victories until they are completely in the book, and do not look down on another FCS conference or even a potential FCS conference unless you wish the same fate upon the PL.

DFW HOYA
August 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM

The Big East isn't going anywhere. Its TV contracts run through 2013, and what the Big East does or does not do should not have a material impact on I-AA football.

Hmmmm.... Just a bit on the arrogant side there LFN.... Maybe you can refresh my memory.... What was the score the last time Davidson played PL member Georgetown?

November 12, 2005: Davidson scored all of 10 points that day, Georgetown 3. Bob Benson's 13 year career at Georgetown ended with a 34-7 loss to Colgate a week later.

Just eight days earlier, Georgetown stood at 4-4, 2-3 in the PL. Since then? 3-22.