PDA

View Full Version : Will Western Georgia be the Next SoCon Member?

elcid96
August 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
While doing some research on Samford (newest member of the Socon) and their schedule, I noticed they were playing Western Georgia for their first game. The school has 11,000 students and is playing Div II football. They are raising 27 million for a new stadium (9000 seats) and other athletic facilities to allow them to become an FCS team. They also believe their enrollment will top 15,000 in the near future. This came from their website about why it would be good to donate to their new stadium:

"Once this enrollment goal is achieved, the institution desires to move from NCAA Division II status to NCAA Division I (Division I-AA in football) and play against such teams as The Citadel, Furman, Appalachian State, and Georgia Southern to name a few."

This leads me to believe they will putting in a bid to join the SOCON. Anyone else care to comment.

The Cats
August 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
http://www.westga.edu/~stadium/images/angle8_lg.jpg

It's actually the University of West Georgia.

http://www.westga.edu/~stadium/design.html

elcid96
August 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
thanks

cmaxwellgsu
August 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM
There is a lot happening at the other GA schools right now. Ga State will start playing football in 2010 and is already in the Colonial in basketball, and Kennesaw State is looking hard at starting a football program. GSU couldn't be looking to move up at a better time.

introvertedGSUfan
August 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I really think Valdosta State should be the next SoCon member, if anything, as they've shown a great deal of dedication to football.

BearsCountry
August 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM
If I was the Big South I would be making a hard look at West Georgia and Valdosta State. That would give them 8 all-sports members with football plus Stony Brook and it would open up Georgia to the conference. And the divisions would split north and south pretty easy.

North
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Liberty
Radford
UNC Asheville
VMI

South
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Prebyterian
West Georgia
Winthrop
Valdosta State

08Dawg
August 16th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Sounds nerdy, but what's West Georgia's academic reputation? I mean, are we dealing with a Coast Carolina here, or somebody a bit more reputable?

blueballs
August 16th, 2008, 07:09 AM
West Georgia started their program before Georgia Southern back in the late 70's, and quickly became pretty good. With their quick success it became pretty apparent that GSC (at the time) could have a program and sustain it too. Of course getting Coach Russell and then Tracy Ham put us light years ahead of West GA and where we probably would have been.

I sincerely wish the best of luck for West GA in their attempt to join the SoCon... only if it means they're replacing GSU, who will have gone FBS by that time.

blueballs
August 16th, 2008, 07:10 AM
If I was the Big South I would be making a hard look at West Georgia and Valdosta State. That would give them 8 all-sports members with football plus Stony Brook and it would open up Georgia to the conference. And the divisions would split north and south pretty easy.

North
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Liberty
Radford
UNC Asheville
VMI

South
Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Prebyterian
West Georgia
Winthrop
Valdosta State

Valdosta would own that conference in very short order...

elcid96
August 16th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Sounds nerdy, but what's West Georgia's academic reputation? I mean, are we dealing with a Coast Carolina here, or somebody a bit more reputable?

They have received the top rating for their school from the princeton review for the past two years.

Footix
August 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I mean, are we dealing with a Coast Carolina here, or somebody a bit more reputable?

Say what you wish but at least we were smart enough not to go to el sh@tidel.

elcid96
August 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM

He did say what he wished and I believe you were turned down from The Citadel when you applied. Is Coastal still taking students without a high school diploma?

Footix
August 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
He did say what he wished and I believe you were turned down from The Citadel when you applied. Is Coastal still taking students without a high school diploma?

Is el sh@tidel still accepting students without any other option than the military or working at Wal-Mart?

gophoenix
August 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I keep telling you people.

Coastal and Georgia State are your next two members.

West Georgia, KSU, UNA, UNC-Pembroke will all be Big South or OVC

bobbythekidd
August 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
West Georgia is going to be playing Div-II for a while longer. They are led by an admin that is very pro-soccer and anti-football. There was a joke around campus a few years ago saying that the only reason this stadium got approved was that the president thought they were talking about European football not the kind played in pads.

I doubt they will push real hard to move up.

citdog
August 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM

sour grapes.......if you had a pair you too could be a The Citadel Man instead of attending UCLA....upper conway lower aynor

Footix
August 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
sour grapes.......if you had a pair you too could be a The Citadel Man instead of attending UCLA....upper conway lower aynor

On any day, I'll take UCLA over Charleston, where half of the houses are immaculate but the other half are made of cardboard.

MoreheadEagle
August 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
West Georgia may be a good addition for the OVC as a travel partner for JSU. Since I don't see Morehead State re-joining in football until our stadium is upgraded (5-7 years) then they might fit in well.

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM

I fully believe that academic standards will play a standard. The SoCon is comprised, not by coincidence, of:

A) small or semi-small (5,000 or fewer students) private schools with strong reputations, who are largely known more for their elite undergrad programs more than their Master's/Doctoral programs. They're not major private research universities, like Wake or Duke, for example, but elite in their own way. Some may call the schools liberal arts, some wouldn't. I'd say that, despite the fact that it's state-supported, The Citadel fits in this category more than the other one, which is...

B) mid-sized public (at least 8,000, fewer than 20,000) universities that are not flagship universities of their states, but are widely-recognized for outstanding undergraduate teaching as well as a number of strong research programs. These schools generally among the more selective schools in their states.

Athletics are obviously important, but cohesiveness with other member institutions is important as well. I'd be shocked if the SoCon ever admitted a member that didn't easily fit in with one of the two categories.

For the record, I'm not implying anything about any schools mentioned as to whether they'd fit into categories A or B.

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't see the SoCon adding West Georgia, Coastal, Ga. State, or anybody else unless somebody left. For a while, it appeared UTC might leave, but that's not happening now. GSU & ASU supposedly could leave for the FBS, but I wouldn't bet on it, at least not for several more years. xtwocentsx

gophoenix
August 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't see the SoCon adding West Georgia, Coastal, Ga. State, or anybody else unless somebody left. For a while, it appeared UTC might leave, but that's not happening now. GSU & ASU supposedly could leave for the FBS, but I wouldn't bet on it, at least not for several more years. xtwocentsx

The commish and a few presidents have stated that 12 is nice but 14 is not only possible but probable (ie a goal).

Samford was brought in earlier because of a specific situation that many fans don't agree with. Coastal was pushed off for a few years because of this. Georgia State's athletics budget isn't going to pay for CAA travel for football very well and... well, that's all I'll say about that for now.

The fact that Delaware State, Hampton and SC State have wanted in has fallen on deaf ears of most of the presidents. Heck, even ECU inquired about participating in everything but baseball and football.

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM

I doubt Ga. State would be accepted by the SoCon. They would probably fit in, geographically and academically, but I don't think the SoCon will take a team that clearly wants to go FBS ASAP. Nobody wants a short-termer if they know that's what they're getting, except for maybe the Big South, which seems to just take in any team they can get.

ButlerGSU
August 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I really think Valdosta State should be the next SoCon member, if anything, as they've shown a great deal of dedication to football.

True but they still play in a high school stadium, albeit a very nice high school stadium.

http://valdostafootball.com/stadium_renovation/aerial/images/DSC00005_smaller.jpg

cmaxwellgsu
August 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
West Ga and Valdosta are also rivals, so they would make a good package deal if they are looking to move up from D2.

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM
True but they still play in a high school stadium, albeit a very nice high school stadium.

sounds like Elon about 9 years ago... if they got a new stadium, they could potentially be a nice addition

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Valdosta would beat most FCS teams. I don't know what they are still doing at D-II.

West Georgia played Furman pretty tough a year or two ago. They couldn't score on anyone, but proved to be one of the tougher defenses we played. It goes without saying that you can recruit football talent in the state of Georgia with your eyes closed.

GSU fans, please spare us the "our time to move up is now" nonsense. You aren't going anywhere right now.

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Valdosta would beat most FCS teams. I don't know what they are still doing at D-II.

People say the same thing about App State. For one, winning national titles is awesome, and maybe they don't want to give that up. VSU wouldn't be likely to do that in FCS, at least not often.

blueballs
August 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM

West Georgia played Furman pretty tough a year or two ago. They couldn't score on anyone, but proved to be one of the tougher defenses we played. It goes without saying that you can recruit football talent in the state of Georgia with your eyes closed.

GSU fans, please spare us the "our time to move up is now" nonsense. You aren't going anywhere right now.

Heck, they LED GSU at halftime in the 2007 opener...

...and you're correct about GSU moving to FBS, it won't happen before 2011 at the very earliest.

gophoenix
August 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM
sounds like Elon about 9 years ago... if they got a new stadium, they could potentially be a nice addition

Burlington Memorial Stadium was funded 75% by Elon as a dual use municipal stadium. It wasn't Elon's fault they built a high school next to it.

As for Georgia State. Who says they have FBS ambitions? FBS ambitions are like USF, FAU, FIU when they started. Georgia State doesn't look like they're doing anthing like. Maybe I've missed articles, but where does the FBS stuff come from? All I have seen are fans with their "wish lists" and fans with their pipe dreams. But maybe I've missed somehthing?

Reign of Terrier
August 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Burlington Memorial Stadium was funded 75% by Elon as a dual use municipal stadium. It wasn't Elon's fault they built a high school next to it.

As for Georgia State. Who says they have FBS ambitions? FBS ambitions are like USF, FAU, FIU when they started. Georgia State doesn't look like they're doing anthing like. Maybe I've missed articles, but where does the FBS stuff come from? All I have seen are fans with their "wish lists" and fans with their pipe dreams. But maybe I've missed somehthing?

One of the hints is they have 25K students, which is probably more than anyone else in the conference.

ericsaid
August 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
COASTAL CAROLINA should be invited to the SoCon. Would be good for Coastal and would immediatly add a quality team with lots of upside.

seantaylor
August 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
On any day, I'll take UCLA over Charleston, where half of the houses are immaculate but the other half are made of cardboard.

Now you're reaching. I would much rather go to school at CCU over El Chit, but Conway/Myrtle Beach is an absolute sh#t hole compared to Charleston.

seantaylor
August 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM
One of the hints is they have 25K students, which is probably more than anyone else in the conference.

Georgia State isn't going to FBS. They have a big enrollment, but it is a huge commuter school with a ton of their students on AARP. They are right next to Georgia Tech and thUGA, so they are in FCS to stay.

IndianaAppMan
August 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM

I think this is a valid point. The only real evidence that GStU would go FBS is from the message boards.

Where/when have SoCon presidents or the SoCon commissioner said anything about wanting 14 members? I'd be interested in reading an article about that.

IMO, 12 overall members with 9 football teams is not a bad place to be. For BB, there can be a round-robin within the division, and one game per year against the other teams. In football, every team plays every other team. Adding two more schools would surely mean that some teams would be left off in football, and it would really complicate things in all the other sports.

There seems to be a near-consensus on AGS that Coastal would be the next member. Is that based just on fans' opinions, or is there evidence from the SoCon itself? If the latter is true, what is the evidence? Besides, with the Big South now eligible for an autobid in 2010, why would CCU want to be in the SoCon so much, anyway? Why does the SoCon need them--I mean, the conference is solid with or without them.

furman94
August 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I agree. I want the Socon to stay 9 FB playing teams; and I also agree on the Coastal point. Why would they want to be Socon if by 2010, they can get a bid in a conference where that goal is more attainable.

CID1990
August 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Is el sh@tidel still accepting students without any other option than the military or working at Wal-Mart?

If half your students were smart enough to read maps to get out of Myrtle Beach they would have gone to Voorhees.

(Unless Voorhees' admission standards have gone up)

gophoenix
August 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM

19,200 undergrads. Of those, 12,350 are considered non-commuter or continuing education undergrads. Taking that into account, the size is no different than many of the public schools in the division.

I think this is a valid point. The only real evidence that GStU would go FBS is from the message boards.

Where/when have SoCon presidents or the SoCon commissioner said anything about wanting 14 members? I'd be interested in reading an article about that.

As for the 14 team thing. You can, I think, do a search on this message board and come up with a bunch of articles posted with quotes (the MMB probably has some too).

Coastal was a done deal until UTC looked unstable. Coastal was also not supported fully by a few member institutions inside of SC. Since the basketball schools vote with the majority on football issues, you can imagine who the concerned schools would have been.

Two years ago, ESPN ran an article about the SoCon when everyone was naysaying Samford as having no chance. This article stated that Samford would be first, with Georgia State and Coastal following in 2 years. So, the first part came true. Considering Coastal had the votes before, they'll be in when the next vote comes. We'll see what pans out this year with Georgia State when they start having to plan travel budgets.

I agree. I want the Socon to stay 9 FB playing teams; and I also agree on the Coastal point. Why would they want to be Socon if by 2010, they can get a bid in a conference where that goal is more attainable.

I don't know. Why did Elon want to be here rather than Big South. Why did Wofford move here rather than the Big South. Why didn't VMI stay? Why do Liberty and Coastal want to move?

I think the answer for (us all) is, is it simply good enough to win and make the playoffs. Or would it be better to play against good teams every week and make the playoffs? And against schools that have lots of football tradition even in Elon, Samford and Wofford.

As for 9 teams. I am for a 12 team SoCon. One where CoC, UNCG and Davidson step up in football or step out. If they step up, go to 11 teams for football.

Maroons
August 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Who or what is UNC-Pembroke?

If the OVC were taking one of those four, I would imagine it would be UNA assuming JSU is still in the OVC.

catdaddy2402
August 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
This leads me to believe they will putting in a bid to join the SOCON. Anyone else care to comment.
They can put in all they want. They aren't a small private school, so they stand zero chance.

furman94
August 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Um, is App a small private? GSU? Chatty? WCU?

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2008, 11:36 PM
No way the conference kicks out the non-football schools. Did you watch this year's basketball tournament? Do you know how much press and money Davidson brought to the SoCon?

Georgia State is a big commuter school. It is smack in the middle of downtown Atlanta. Georgia Tech, while a school in the city, has a large campus that the city grew around. GaState is crammed into a bunch of high rise buildings and is a stone's throw from GT itself.

I agree that GaState would be in FCS to stay. However, I'm one of those people that thinks that there should be 6 FBS conferences and everyone else should drop down. All those schools do by going up is run their program into the ground. It would make the FCS level a lot more interesting if the Idahos, Eastern Michigans, and Florida Interanationals came back down to FCS where they belong.

The Cats
August 17th, 2008, 12:23 AM
No way the conference kicks out the non-football schools. Did you watch this year's basketball tournament? Do you know how much press and money Davidson brought to the SoCon?

I'd certainly agree with this part of your post...... the rest, I'm not so sure of.....

IndianaAppMan
August 17th, 2008, 12:40 AM
However, I'm one of those people that thinks that there should be 6 FBS conferences and everyone else should drop down. All those schools do by going up is run their program into the ground. It would make the FCS level a lot more interesting if the Idahos, Eastern Michigans, and Florida Interanationals came back down to FCS where they belong.

Try telling that to Boise State, South Florida (started not in Big East but in C-USA), Louisville (ditto), or BYU (the only NON-BCS team to actually win the national title, back in 1984). I think most BCS programs would concede that they have belonged in the FBS, even if they're not among the major six.

gophoenix
August 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM

I didn't say they would. But, if all the football schools threw their support together, they would have enough votes to do just this. And they should. It is an unfair allotment of resources for Davidson to throw all their money into a few baskets without having to pay for participating in football. Hell, it should be a slap in the face to us all that Davidson HAS football and refuses to step up, using academics as a reason (Which is complete BS).

And I disagree with one comment. Davidson brought press to themselves. None of the rest of us were a concern and definitely not the conference. It brought no press to the rest of us. Just like the App/Michigan thing. It was huge for App, it was a non-issue for FCS and the rest of us because that wasn't a focal or talking point for 99% of the articles.

They can put in all they want. They aren't a small private school, so they stand zero chance.

All I can say is xrolleyesx

People like you act like "the man" is putting down public schools and favoring private schools. And this mysterious "the man" is doing it and screwing you guys and the conference and there's nothing you can do about it.

New flash!!! The Presidents vote on new members. And 3/4 of the Presidents have to agree to get a school in. The "small, private schools" don't have enough votes to vote anyone in alone. _AND_ there wasn't a vote against Elon, Samford or Wofford.

I think all us private school people should start talking about Western as a small, public school. After all, half the size of App. And less than 1500 larger then Elon. xrolleyesx

elon77
August 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
How about this thought, and it's just a thought. Expand into Va., Richmond, Liberty, W & M, and maybe even JMU. The CAA seems to be plenty big and is getting bigger, and any or all of these schools would keep it a true Southern Conference. Right Citdog?

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Try telling that to Boise State, South Florida (started not in Big East but in C-USA), Louisville (ditto), or BYU (the only NON-BCS team to actually win the national title, back in 1984). I think most BCS programs would concede that they have belonged in the FBS, even if they're not among the major six.

My grand scheme is to keep the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big East, Big 12, ACC, and (possibly) Conference USA intact. Both the Pac 10 and Big 10 will need to add another team and a conference championship game. A team like Boise would need to join the Pac 10 and Notre Dame go to the Big 10, for example.

My proposal really just kicks out the MAC, Moutain West, Sun Belt, and WAC. And of course, there are some teams in those conferences that deserve to stay (Utah, BYU). Some conferences could lose a member or two to make it more competitive on the whole. For instance, knocking Duke out of ACC football. Further, a new conference could be established that combined the better teams from the weak conferences like Boise, Fresno State, BYU, Utah, Hawaii, TCU, etc. (I realize most of them already play together). The armed services could drop down. It would be about 20 someodd teams.

While I think it would solve all of this "Hawaii playing for the national championship" nonsense, I think it would be great for the FCS. I envision a new Idaho/Montana rivalry. The Southland schools would add North Texas. Army could win more than one game a year. The reality is, at least in my eyes, that a lot of those teams would be better served playing teams in the FCS level week in, week out.

Granted, this is just a pipe dream. I just see the top level of FBS as being so much better than the bottom echelon. There's far more of a gap than in the FCS. While far from perfect, I just envision a place where teams like Middle Tennessee get put in a position where they would be more competitive, rebuild their fanbase, and improve their program. Maybe even a system like the Champions league which drops down the three worst teams and calls up the three best from the next level down each season (I realize that also will not work due to scheduling games 6 years in advance).

I'm also a realist who knows this will never work nor will it ever even be considered. xrotatehx Meh, I just like competitive football.

gophoenix
August 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
How about this thought, and it's just a thought. Expand into Va., Richmond, Liberty, W & M, and maybe even JMU. The CAA seems to be plenty big and is getting bigger, and any or all of these schools would keep it a true Southern Conference. Right Citdog?

Problem is, you have to take schools willing to come. The CAA and SoCon are basically a wash overall in all the sports except for basketball where the CAA is much better. With that, W&M won't leave the CAA. Richmond could be possible if the CAA tells them to enter for all sports or leave, but not likely.

Here's the options that look like for long term options (ie schools not likely looking to move up any time soon but that would be good for most aspects of the conference)

Virginia: Hampton, VMI or Liberty
South Carolina: Coastal or SC State
Georgia: Georgia St (or maybe Kennesaw St)
Tennessee: Tennessee Tech
Kentucky: Eastern Kentucky

Problem is, travel costs are impacting schools a lot now (more so than we all want to admit).

elon77
August 17th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Problem is, you have to take schools willing to come. The CAA and SoCon are basically a wash overall in all the sports except for basketball where the CAA is much better. With that, W&M won't leave the CAA. Richmond could be possible if the CAA tells them to enter for all sports or leave, but not likely.

Here's the options that look like for long term options (ie schools not likely looking to move up any time soon but that would be good for most aspects of the conference)

Virginia: Hampton, VMI or Liberty
South Carolina: Coastal or SC State
Georgia: Georgia St (or maybe Kennesaw St)
Tennessee: Tennessee Tech
Kentucky: Eastern Kentucky

Problem is, travel costs are impacting schools a lot now (more so than we all want to admit).

As a true Socon fan is there any school on your list that you would truly, and I said truly would want to see in the Socon?xrulesx

gophoenix
August 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
As a true Socon fan is there any school on your list that you would truly, and I said truly would want to see in the Socon?xrulesx

I'd be ok with any of them.

IndianaAppMan
August 17th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Personally, I'm content with the status quo. 12 teams overall, 9 for football. It's tightly regional, but still manages to contact 5 states. Most people with connections to SoCon schools have some kind of connection to most of the other schools. For example, I have had family or friends at every SoCon school except UTC. When more schools are added, it makes the conference seem less relevant to fans.

Of course, that kind of thing probably is not considered in expansion talks among the presidents/chancellors. What is considered is travel costs, which makes any expansion into Virginia highly unlikely, IMO.

The Cats
August 17th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I think all us private school people should start talking about Western as a small, public school. After all, half the size of App. And less than 1500 larger then Elon. xrolleyesx

I'd get back my money if that's the math skills they taught you at Elon.

ASU - Undergraduates: 13,997
WCU - Undergraduates: 9,055
Elon - Undergraduates: 4,939
(source Wikipedia)

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Personally, I'm content with the status quo. 12 teams overall, 9 for football. It's tightly regional, but still manages to contact 5 states. Most people with connections to SoCon schools have some kind of connection to most of the other schools. For example, I have had family or friends at every SoCon school except UTC. When more schools are added, it makes the conference seem less relevant to fans.

Of course, that kind of thing probably is not considered in expansion talks among the presidents/chancellors. What is considered is travel costs, which makes any expansion into Virginia highly unlikely, IMO.

I agree with you. The conference fits a balance that was clearly intentional. The games are played in some great settings, in great cities. The basketball teams are not just dead weight.

gophoenix
August 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I'd get back my money if that's the math skills they taught you at Elon.

ASU - Undergraduates: 13,997
WCU - Undergraduates: 9,055
Elon - Undergraduates: 4,939
(source Wikipedia)

Use a real source of information why don't you. xrolleyesx
The ACT citizen times claims that Western claims distance education and part time students for that extra 1900 that puts them over 9000. So, I guess you could count them, but if you're going to do that, quantify it and do it for all three.

Appalachian website - Undergrads 13447
2008 US News College Rankings - Western Undergrads 7146
Elon Magazine sitting on my desk - Elon undergrads 5747

JetsLuvver
August 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I can't understand why Davidson doesn't try to upgrade in football. You're in one of the best FCS conferences with many area rivals, yet you keep your program in a conference of mediocre misfits mostly located outside of your geographical area.

elcid96
August 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Here is my proposal. Eliminate the FCS/FBS ratings. Go back to Div I football for all. Let there be a playoffs with each conference getting an auto bid and then pick more teams to create a field of 32 or 64 and conduct a playoffs just like basketball. Then the SOCON or CAA or any other conference could compete. The larger conferences (SEC, ACC, etc..) would obviously get the at-large bids. Otherwise, just keep it the same.

introvertedGSUfan
August 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I can't understand why Davidson doesn't try to upgrade in football. You're in one of the best FCS conferences with many area rivals, yet you keep your program in a conference of mediocre misfits mostly located outside of your geographical area.

Davidson, I believe despite being Division I, doesn't offer sports scholarships, so that would put them at a severe disadvantage (better players are going to accept scholarship offers right?) if they played football in the SoCon or any conference that participates in the playoffs.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Davidson decided back in the early 1970's to make football grants only to students with 'need'. It was one of those 'flexible' policies where tuition assistance would be made available if you could perform in the classroom as well as on the field.

By the late 1980's they decided to go D-III eliminating all football scholarships. I'm sure they offer some tuition assistance today to football players but there is no, none, nada, zippo, zero interest in returning to a fully-funded football grant-in-aid program.

UNC-Charlotte, small chance as it is, will fully fund an FCS football program before Davidson ever sticks their toe back in the water.

The issues with Charlotte may be insurmountable. They would have to double student fees (needing special approval from the UNC system Board of Governors to do so), the creation of a substantial endowment for expenses and a capital building fund for the construction of an on-campus stadium.

They have no on-campus facility and would have to play at Charlotte Memorial Stadium in 'Uptown' - an 'aging' facility to say the least but capable with minimal upgrades (primarily restrooms, concessions, etc).

Charlotte has stated their 'intentions' and done their due diligence. The final decision from the Chancellor/trustees is due this Fall IIRC.

I just don't see the state BOG going along with doubling student fees. Unless they come up with alternative financing (i.e., a $30-50 million donation) their aspirations may be useless.

They would be a logical addition to the SoCon HOWEVER it is their stated intention to use FCS as a stepping stone in making a rapid transition to FBS. I guess we ain't good enough for 'em xeyebrowx