PDA

View Full Version : ODU finally takes the field.

Tribe4SF
August 15th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Promising program gets underway.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_teel_0815aug15,0,3606746.column

Photo gallery.

http://www.dailypress.com/dp-odufootball,0,439847.photogallery

Husky Alum
August 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Tribe -

I hear that Tommy Reamon has already led them to 2 come from behind victories, achieved a 4.0 and has saved 3 old ladies from a burning building.

And that was all in the first morning of practice. ;-)

Can't be true, can it?

Looking forward to seeing you for our quadrennial arse whooping at Zabel in November!

CSUBUCDAD
August 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I am honestly excited about this new program. Wish them all the luck in the world and can't wait to see them take the field Sept 5, 2009.

appfan2008
August 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
xhurrayx congrats on getting started...

who will they be playing next year?

KAUMASS
August 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know? Is ODU just going to "practice" this year and redshirt all their kids? I didn't see anything when I researched all of the articles and website.
I also didn't know that ODU used to be a 2 year division of W&M. That should be a great rivalry when ODU is up to speed in a few years. Facilities and support look impressive.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM
This year I believe they are playing some practice teams, some lower division teams in scrimmages. For example, I think they might be playing George Mason's club football team or something like that, but then next year, it gets more real:

2009 Old Dominion University Football Schedule

Sept. 5 - Chowan

Sept. 12 - Virginia Union

Sept. 19 - at Jacksonville

Sept. 26 - Monmouth

Oct. 3 - NC Central

Oct. 10 - Presbyterian

Oct. 17 - Campbell

Oct. 24 - at Savannah State

Oct. 31 - Georgetown

Nov. 7 - OPEN

Nov. 14 - at Iona

Nov. 21 - at VMI

elcid96
August 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Are there any OD graduates on AGS?

griz8791
August 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Is it 40 years or 68 years? The photo captions say 40, but the article says the program has been dormant for 68 years.

I know little about ODU beyond hearing the name and knowing that ex-Griz basketball player and coach Blaine Taylor now coaches BBall there, but 40 years without football is one hell of a long time for anyone to go without football and I'm glad they have their program back.

Now if we can just get Gonzaga to do the same.

Monarch History
August 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
This year I believe they are playing some practice teams, some lower division teams in scrimmages. For example, I think they might be playing George Mason's club football team or something like that, but then next year, it gets more real:

In answer to those who ask who Old Dominion will play this year, NCAA regulations will only allow the Monarchs to scrimmage against themselves this year.

Here is another article from the Virginian-Pilot regarding the Monarchs first day of practice. The second link is to ODUBLITZ.com which will contain ongoing articles and videos about the Monarchs.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/08/odu-football-team-hits-practice-field-running

http://hamptonroads.com/pilot/sports/odu-football

Tribe4SF
August 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Tribe -

I hear that Tommy Reamon has already led them to 2 come from behind victories, achieved a 4.0 and has saved 3 old ladies from a burning building.

And that was all in the first morning of practice. ;-)

Can't be true, can it?

Looking forward to seeing you for our quadrennial arse whooping at Zabel in November!

All true! He's to be feted by the Mayor with a special new medal. His father will accept for him.:D

As to our meeting in November, all I can say is that I love tradition.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
August 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Is it 40 years or 68 years? The photo captions say 40, but the article says the program has been dormant for 68 years.

I know little about ODU beyond hearing the name and knowing that ex-Griz basketball player and coach Blaine Taylor now coaches BBall there, but 40 years without football is one hell of a long time for anyone to go without football and I'm glad they have their program back.

Now if we can just get Gonzaga to do the same.

it went dormant in 1940 which was 68 years ago!

furman94
August 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Go Monarchs!

Hoseinexile07
August 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
In answer to those who ask who Old Dominion will play this year, NCAA regulations will only allow the Monarchs to scrimmage against themselves this year.

Hey, at least you're guaranteed a perfect season. xthumbsupx

danefan
August 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hey, at least you're guaranteed a perfect season. xthumbsupx

Or that you'll lose every game.xnodx :D

DaBigBlue
November 14th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Old tread bump.
It doesn't seem that long ago, just crazy how fast three years went by.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 15th, 2011, 05:29 AM
You should be extremely proud of yourselves, not many football teams have done what you accomplished. The last team to pull this off was Coastal Carolina.

UIWWildthing
November 15th, 2011, 07:06 AM
So in 3 years you've gone from scrimmages against yourselves to a probably playoff spot? Way to go Monarchs!

andy7171
November 15th, 2011, 07:10 AM
4th and 29

LMAO

appfan2008
November 15th, 2011, 07:18 AM
great job at getting a program started from nothing and even better job ressurecting this thread!