PDA

View Full Version : LSU QB Situation

JohnStOnge
August 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I happened to come across this today. There's a site I like to refer to because I find it credible in terms of 40 times and such. It's NFLDraftScout.com. It appears to have a higher regard for LSU redshirt freshman QB Jarrett Lee than it does for now-Jacksonville State quarterback Ryan Perrilloux.

Here's the site's take on Perriloux:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56717&draftyear=2010&genpos=QB

He's rated 11th in his NFL Draft "class" by the site.

Here's the take on Lee:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70612&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB

He's rated 4th in his NFL Draft "class."

Lee intrigues me because, on paper, he seems to have a lot of potential. The guy appears to be faster and more agile than the quarterback LSU had last year. Everything that I've heard suggests he has an NFL arm. During his last two years of Texas high school football, he threw for totals of 68 touchdowns and 5,809 yards while hitting on 68% of his attempts.

I really don't know if LSU is going to be as "bad off" at QB as many people are thinking they'll be.

ericsaid
August 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
App beat two first day draft picks last season. Don't think they will be knocked off by someone who is a freshmen being rated the fourth best QB of their draft class.

D.J. Smith ranked #9 out of 158 OLB's by draftscout.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81533&draftyear=2011&genpos=OLB

Tony Robertson ranked #30 for his for OLB even though he plays DE.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81532&draftyear=2010&genpos=OLB

Jaque Roman is ranked #31 at Inside linbacker

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=86258&draftyear=2010&genpos=ILB

Somethings telling me this means nothing to LSU.

asknoquarter21
August 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
is it 4th in HIS draft class....

that just means he has potential....I don't think he will get his full chances, that kid Jefferson is dirty

McNeese75
August 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
App beat two first day draft picks last season. Don't think they will be knocked off by someone who is a freshmen being rated the fourth best QB of their draft class.

xconfusedx So you are back to predicting a win now? ;)

ericsaid
August 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
xconfusedx So you are back to predicting a win now? ;)

Nope, just won't matter where the quarterback is rated.xnonono2x

McNeese75
August 14th, 2008, 10:09 PM

xrolleyesx So you do not think ASU will get beaten by the team with the QB rated ......)? WTH does "Knocked off" mean in the above statement?

FCS Go!
August 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM
xrolleyesx So you do not think ASU will get beaten by the team with the QB rated ......)? WTH does "Knocked off" mean in the above statement?

I think (hope) he meant that the QB would not be the deciding factor in a defeat.

Skjellyfetti
August 14th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I happened to come across this today. There's a site I like to refer to because I find it credible in terms of 40 times and such. It's NFLDraftScout.com. It appears to have a higher regard for LSU redshirt freshman QB Jarrett Lee than it does for now-Jacksonville State quarterback Ryan Perrilloux.

Here's the site's take on Perriloux:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56717&draftyear=2010&genpos=QB

He's rated 11th in his NFL Draft "class" by the site.

Here's the take on Lee:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70612&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB

He's rated 4th in his NFL Draft "class."

Lee intrigues me because, on paper, he seems to have a lot of potential. The guy appears to be faster and more agile than the quarterback LSU had last year. Everything that I've heard suggests he has an NFL arm. During his last two years of Texas high school football, he threw for totals of 68 touchdowns and 5,809 yards while hitting on 68% of his attempts.

I really don't know if LSU is going to be as "bad off" at QB as many people are thinking they'll be.

It would be interesting to see how much Perrilloux's stock dropped after he got kicked out of school and transferred to JSU.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I think (hope) he meant that the QB would not be the deciding factor in a defeat.

OK, defeat for who? xconfusedx

ericsaid
August 14th, 2008, 11:48 PM
OK, defeat for who? xconfusedx

I don't think where LSU's quarterback is rated will be a factor in Appalachian State University losing to Louisiana State University.
xnodx
41-24. (I opened up my prediction a bit.)xnonono2x xbawlingx

McNeese75
August 15th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think where LSU's quarterback is rated will be a factor in Appalachian State University losing to Louisiana State University.
xnodx
41-24. (I opened up my prediction a bit.)xnonono2x xbawlingx

Ok, I gotcha. xthumbsupx

GGASU
August 15th, 2008, 12:25 AM
It is amazing to me that some app fans are predicting a blow out for LSU.

ASU has one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the country...period.

the starting three linebackers group is in the top 10 in all of Division I...what the fuch do you want?

Jesus we played them toe to toe for 3 quarters last time we played,....I know 14-0, but anyone listening or at the game knew it was even.

We are better this time around..they are worse...much worse.

I predict that Hatch gets replaced at halftime with LSU down 28-7

Skjellyfetti
August 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM

xpopcornx

FCS Go!
August 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM

the starting three linebackers group is in the top 10 in all of Division I...what the fuch do you want?

Jesus we played them toe to toe for 3 quarters last time we played,....I know 14-0, but anyone listening or at the game knew it was even.

Get real man. When was the last time App played a great defensive team??? Besides an FBS game... 2006? 2005? This will be a defense (and a team) that is not asleep at the wheel. No sneaking up on LSU this year. Sorry.

SirApp
August 15th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Back on subject here. Lee is really, really good. Luckily, he is an incoming freshman so I hope we won't have to see him for more than a few snaps during the game.

But I do think he will the starter for LSU at some point after being halfway done with the season.

GGASU
August 15th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Get real man. When was the last time App played a great defensive team??? Besides an FBS game... 2006? 2005? This will be a defense (and a team) that is not asleep at the wheel. No sneaking up on LSU this year. Sorry.

Why does anyone think LSU is a great defensive team?
When is the last time they played a spread offensive team that didn't score 21+ on them?

It was propably the last time they played ASU, but that was a very different type of spread offense, and AE runs the current version better than anyone in the country.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 15th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Back on subject here. Lee is really, really good. Luckily, he is an incoming freshman so I hope we won't have to see him for more than a few snaps during the game.

But I do think he will the starter for LSU at some point after being halfway done with the season.

Lee is a redshirt freshman who SHOULD already have a grasp of most of the playbook since he most likely practiced with the scout team while being redshirted......The incoming freshman is Jefferson.....

SirApp
August 15th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Lee is a redshirt freshman who SHOULD already have a grasp of most of the playbook since he most likely practiced with the scout team while being redshirted......The incoming freshman is Jefferson.....

Thanks. In my insomnia, I switched them. In that case, I didn't think Lee was that highly touted. Went to Rivals a couple weeks back to watch highlight videos of the QB's and wasn't overly impressed with him. But those were just highlight videos. I think Jefferson is going to be a really good one for LSU.

In this case, still a little confused why Hatch is the starter. Heard he is a little bit more mobile than Lee and he's a good decision maker. Is there something special about him I don't know?

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Look at this part in bold. C'mon, and people wonder about the word delusional......

ASU88
August 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
It is amazing to me that some app fans are predicting a blow out for LSU ... ASU has one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the country...period ...the starting three linebackers group is in the top 10 in all of Division I...what the fuch do you want? ... Jesus we played them toe to toe for 3 quarters last time we played,....I know 14-0, but anyone listening or at the game knew it was even ... We are better this time around..they are worse...much worse ... I predict that Hatch gets replaced at halftime with LSU down 28-7

OK ... it's a little more clear now how we knocked off Notre Dame for the "Most Delusional Fan Base" award.
xlolx

elon77
August 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM

whoa, if they get down anywhere close to that he will be replaced before halftime.xnodx

elcid96
August 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM

We have a winner.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't bank on him if he hasn't played a down of college football. The most hyped high school players typically don't turn out to be the best players.

biggie
August 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Is Lee's injury being factored into the App game at all? Never heard a deciding diagnosis on it and if he will be available/100% by Aug 30.

AppGrad06
August 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM
OK ... it's a little more clear now how we knocked off Notre Dame for the "Most Delusional Fan Base" award.
xlolx

Yeah

AppGrad06
August 15th, 2008, 10:21 AM
It would be interesting to see how much Perrilloux's stock dropped after he got kicked out of school and transferred to JSU.

as of right now RP is ranked as the top "small school" QB for 2010 and 4th best "small school" pick overall for 2010. He is rated 11th out of 131 QBs

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top100sc.php?draftyear=2010

ASUG8
August 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Just curious - where's Jayson Foster in the 2008 class? Not in the top 50 overall? Pleeeeez....

FCS Go!
August 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Why does anyone think LSU is a great defensive team?
When is the last time they played a spread offensive team that didn't score 21+ on them?

It was propably the last time they played ASU, but that was a very different type of spread offense, and AE runs the current version better than anyone in the country.

I suppose LSU's defense is no better than any of the defenses App faces in the SoCon or faced in the playoffs???

Just curious - where's Jayson Foster in the 2008 class? Not in the top 50 overall? Pleeeeez....

As for Foster I guess you think he should've been one of the top picks at the QB position in this years draft? I think you might not fully grasp what the rankings are about. Based on his performance in his first game as a pro he has a ways to go before he is tearing through the NFL like he tore through App.

Sorry to the rest of you for the thread hi-jack.

ericsaid
August 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Kind of sad when someones predicting App to be winning 28-7 at the half. LSU would come back and win probably 42+ to 28 if that were the case.

41-24. LSU 17 points not too bad.

JohnStOnge
August 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM

He was not considered a "quarterback" by that site. Neither, for that matter, is Armanti Edwards.

Here are the assessments:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=25747&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR (Foster)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR (Edwards)

The site looks at both as "wide receiver" prospects rather than quarterback prospects. Remember, they're projecting for the NFL. There's no way a guy who is 5'7", 169 (Foster) or 6'0", 178 (Edwards) is going to be drafted as a QB in the NFL. Just isn't going to happen.

Saint3333
August 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I sincerely hope some of my fellow ASU posters aren't serious about some of these predictions, it's getting deep in here.

McNeese75
August 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I sincerely hope some of my fellow ASU posters aren't serious about some of these predictions, it's getting deep in here.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/customavatars/avatar17897_2.gif

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks. In my insomnia, I switched them. In that case, I didn't think Lee was that highly touted. Went to Rivals a couple weeks back to watch highlight videos of the QB's and wasn't overly impressed with him. But those were just highlight videos. I think Jefferson is going to be a really good one for LSU.

In this case, still a little confused why Hatch is the starter. Heard he is a little bit more mobile than Lee and he's a good decision maker. Is there something special about him I don't know?

Nothing at all....Miles is playing it safe and will play the guy who won't turn the ball over....for now....

After all....LSU has that huge line and 4 more-than-capable running backs that will wear down that smaller Mountaineer defense.....

But don't be surprised to see Both Hatch and Lee play....

Although the kid I would be fearing in the near future is Jefferson....But he could turn out like Mackey from Bastrop (Ole Miss Committ) and end up being an athlete who had WRs that were a beast at Desterhan....

Lionsrking
August 15th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Nothing at all....Miles is playing it safe and will play the guy who won't turn the ball over....for now....

After all....LSU has that huge line and 4 more-than-capable running backs that will wear down that smaller Mountaineer defense.....

But don't be surprised to see Both Hatch and Lee play....

Although the kid I would be fearing in the near future is Jefferson....But he could turn out like Mackey from Bastrop (Ole Miss Committ) and end up being an athlete who had WRs that were a beast at Desterhan....

Jordan Jefferson and Randall Mackey are two completely different types of QBs...Mackey is a freelance, backyard type QB who excels when the pocket breaks down, while Jefferson is a pocket guy who happens to be mobile.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 16th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Jordan Jefferson and Randall Mackey are two completely different types of QBs...Mackey is a freelance, backyard type QB who excels when the pocket breaks down, while Jefferson is a pocket guy who happens to be mobile.

True on the QB comparison......

Probably the reason Mackey is being converted to WR at Ole Miss.....

ericsaid
August 16th, 2008, 01:46 AM
He was not considered a "quarterback" by that site. Neither, for that matter, is Armanti Edwards.

Here are the assessments:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=25747&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR (Foster)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR (Edwards)

The site looks at both as "wide receiver" prospects rather than quarterback prospects. Remember, they're projecting for the NFL. There's no way a guy who is 5'7", 169 (Foster) or 6'0", 178 (Edwards) is going to be drafted as a QB in the NFL. Just isn't going to happen.

People are even talking about turning Tebow into a fullback in the NFL. The NFL is scared of mobile quarterbacks. Drew Brees is 6'0. Mike Vick is 6'0. Doug Flutie is like 4'10. I think maybe given the chance(granted he won't be)Armanti could succeed.

Lionsrking
August 16th, 2008, 02:21 AM
True on the QB comparison......

Probably the reason Mackey is being converted to WR at Ole Miss.....

Mackey's didn't qualify...he's at East Mississippi Community College.

JohnStOnge
August 16th, 2008, 05:17 AM
On the Rivals thing:

After his high school career, Jordan Jefferson was rated 8th in the "pro style quarterback" category:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=56979&sport=1

Lee came out in 2007 rated 7th in that category:

So the two appear to have been comparable level recruits...at least as far as Rivals was concerned.

BgJag
August 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
On the Rivals thing:

After his high school career, Jordan Jefferson was rated 8th in the "pro style quarterback" category:

Lee came out in 2007 rated 7th in that category:

So the two appear to have been comparable level recruits...at least as far as Rivals was concerned.

I guess that's why they have practice and games. Regardless how a sport agency determine your worth you still have to fit in the system that you're in and perform. Skill wise, the best QB on LSU team didn't play much last year but the one that did performed good enough in their system to win a National Championship.

JohnStOnge
August 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM
For some reason I was able to watch the Rivals highlights on Lee. The never showed him really throwing it deep or anything. He did seem to be good at dropping it over the top against tight coverage. But what I found most interesting is that most (I think) of the highlights had him throwing the ball on the run. It looked like that's how the offense was designed. Definitely wasn't a "statue" type quarterback in high school.