PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel's Cliff Washburn is Playing for the Texans

elcid96
August 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Houston, Texas – Plagued by injuries on the offensive line, the Houston Texans signed The Citadel alum Cliff Washburn ’02 to a free agent contract this week. Washburn is the second tackle to join the Texans in the past week after the team added Torrin Tucker last Friday.

Washburn, now standing at 6-5, 293 pounds, was given simple instructions from the Texans’ coaching staff upon signing.

“Just to go out and work hard, just give it all I’ve got," Washburn said. "Of course, I’m here to make the team, here to play. I’m not here to be (on the) practice squad or anything else. So that’s my focus, and I think that’s the team’s focus.”

"This is a good team (with) a lot of good ball players,” added Washburn. “I’m just going to have to go out and compete, go out and work hard.”

Washburn has been a scout team journeyman since entering the professional ranks, serving stints on the scout teams of the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bears. Washburn was a member of the Denver Broncos scout team in 2007 and spent the offseason with the Green Bay Packers.

He entered the National Football League as an undrafted free agent with the New York Giants in 2003 after a standout, although abnormal, career at The Citadel. Washburn was a member of the Bulldogs basketball team for four seasons before graduating and spending his fifth year of eligibility on The Citadel football team in the fall of 2002.

A native of Shelby, N.C., Washburn graduated from The Military College of South Carolina in 2002 with a degree in psychology. Washburn was working out at home when he received a call from the Texans.

“Yeah, I was a little surprised," he said of the call. "I’ve just been at home working for a little while, and you know, it was a pleasant surprise to get that call.”

Washburn is currently one of two former Bulldog players vying for a spot on an NFL roster this fall as Nehemiah Broughton is in fall camp with the Washington Redskins.

The Citadel football team opens the 2008 season on Aug. 30 as the Bulldogs host Webber International in a White Out game presented by AT&T at Johnson Hagood Stadium.

For complete coverage of Bulldog Football, visit the official home of The Citadel Athletics at CitadelSports.com.

citdog
August 14th, 2008, 06:04 PM
good luck Cliff!

flea
August 15th, 2008, 04:28 AM
he'll need it :D

elcid96
August 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
This will be his best chance at making the pros. He has great potential and was one the best "athletes" we ever produced. Good luck.

flea
August 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
he'll have had to improved a lot from his time in europe. that said i've not seen him play since