PDA

View Full Version : Elon will win because or Richmond will win because.........

elon77
August 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Just thought I would get something started on why you think one of these teams will win. This should be a very interesting early season test for both teams. Any thoughts?

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM
elon sucks....that's my thought... can't beat The Citadel but think you can beat "Confederate Capitol U"xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

there is already a thread on this game........this one is unnecessary.....take it to the phoenix phorum with your 5 posters.

elon77
August 13th, 2008, 08:32 AM
elon sucks....that's my thought... can't beat The Citadel but think you can beat "Confederate Capitol U"xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

there is already a thread on this game........this one is unnecessary.....take it to the phoenix phorum with your 5 posters.

just one thought, why didn't you want girls in that little boys school of yours?xbawlingx

BlueHen86
August 13th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Why is this thread here?

elon77
August 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Why is this thread here?

HIT THE WRONG DANG KEY, SORRY.xcoffeex

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 09:15 AM
just one thought, why didn't you want girls in that little boys school of yours?xbawlingx

because women should be in the kitchen making me a sammi......

elon77
August 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
xnodx
because women should be in the kitchen making me a sammi......

after you eat your sammi do you want to predict how bad elon is going to beat your boys?

OhioHen
August 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Why is this thread here?

Because the Mods and agsadmin are asleep at the switch? xconfusedx

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM
xnodx

after you eat your sammi do you want to predict how bad elon is going to beat your boys?

WE ONLY HAVE MEN! NO BOYS HERE. WE WILL DO TO ELON WHAT WE HAVE DONE THE LAST 8QTRS AGAINST Y'ALL........BEAT YOU

elon77
August 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
WE ONLY HAVE MEN! NO BOYS HERE. WE WILL DO TO ELON WHAT WE HAVE DONE THE LAST 8QTRS AGAINST Y'ALL........BEAT YOU

dog, i can feel it in my bones that this is the year we wup ya. or it could just be my bursitis acting up. i'll give you the last 8 qtrs, but this is a new year.

gophoenix
August 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Uhm, Greensboro was the last acting Capital of the Confederacy. Elon is a superb of said city. You know, back when your boys were on the run.

citdog
August 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Uhm, Greensboro was the last acting Capital of the Confederacy. Elon is a superb of said city. You know, back when your boys were on the run.

WRONG! Abbeville, Sc was the last meeting of the Cabinet

gophoenix
August 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
WRONG! Abbeville, Sc was the last meeting of the Cabinet

And was never considered a "capital" because there was no president or vice president at the meetings and 5 states had fallen by then xrulesx xrolleyesx

elon77
August 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
now, back to the subject. elon will win because they have better team speed than richmond. asu's team speed just overwhelmed richmond last year, and even though elon did not have the depth or strength of asu their team speed was just as good. with just about the same team back this year they should be a year more mature, stronger, and have more depth. this game should be a contrast of two styles of football. socon 1 caa 0.

DLS
August 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
elon because richmond cant defend good quarterbacks.

bostonspider
August 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
How did Richmond beat both Santos and Flacco last year then??? And how will Elon defend against Richmond's strong ground game and dynamic passing game? I think UR runs all over Elon, keeping their offense on the sidelines and wins 31-24

gophoenix
August 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
How did Richmond beat both Santos and Flacco last year then??? And how will Elon defend against Richmond's strong ground game and dynamic passing game? I think UR runs all over Elon, keeping their offense on the sidelines and wins 31-24

31 points is not running all over....

But, I think Elon loses. I don't think we're there yet this year. Close, but not quite.

phoenixphanatic21
August 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
This is gonna be a great game and I for one can barely wait another day for it. The diehard Elon fan in me says Elon will pull off the upset on a touchdown in the last 3 minutes of the game. The realistic fan in me says Richmond will win, but Elon will keep it close for a while before Richmond pulls away at the very end, much like the App game last year.

Eight Legger
August 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
App ran all over us because they were the national champions and because we had guys playing in our LB corps and secondary who were forced into duty as the result of injuries to starters. I think we win a close game because of our ability to control the tempo, and the ball.

Phoenix87
August 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Right now I think it's a crapshoot. Elon proved that they can stop a one dimensional running attack when they played Wofford last year. With the entire D-Line back and a solid LB crew, I don't see Richmond running all over the Phoenix. LB transfer from Va Tech to arrive soon at Elon according to a friend of mine, paperwork just has to be finalized. With him and Weaver, could be the best LB corps in the Socon.

On the flip side, the Phoenix haven't looked all that great in practices so far, although they looked really bad last year in preseason and then took it to South Florida which set the tone for the season.

I really can't get a feel for who is going to win. If Richmond can even the playing field out and get their passing attack going along with the run I think we're in trouble. If they just run, run run, than I think it should be close; or if the Phoenix get the offense rolling, it could be a blow out.

Too many factors and expectations for both teams to make an honest guess.

Mountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 11:11 PM
With him and Weaver, could be the best LB corps in the Socon.

Pierre Banks, Jacque Roman and D.J. Smith laugh in your direction. xlolx :p

I'll be pullin' for you guys though. xthumbsupx

elon77
August 14th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Right now I think it's a crapshoot. Elon proved that they can stop a one dimensional running attack when they played Wofford last year. With the entire D-Line back and a solid LB crew, I don't see Richmond running all over the Phoenix. LB transfer from Va Tech to arrive soon at Elon according to a friend of mine, paperwork just has to be finalized. With him and Weaver, could be the best LB corps in the Socon.

On the flip side, the Phoenix haven't looked all that great in practices so far, although they looked really bad last year in preseason and then took it to South Florida which set the tone for the season.

I really can't get a feel for who is going to win. If Richmond can even the playing field out and get their passing attack going along with the run I think we're in trouble. If they just run, run run, than I think it should be close; or if the Phoenix get the offense rolling, it could be a blow out.

I know a little about Tech, who's the guy?xoopsx

bostonspider
August 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Not sure where you get the impression that UR is a one dimensional offense. Most Spider followers just think we will run it more in this game to keep the ball away from Elon's offense and give UR's defense a bit of a break. UR tends to rush for more yards than they pass for, but last year it was about 3300 yrds rushing and 2400 yrds passing, so don't think they can't or won't pass a fair amount.

ur2k
August 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Richmond will win because I am a homer and:

- Justin Rogers will run past your special teams players into the endzone
- Elon's passing attack will be rusty (it's the first game of the season)
- Richmond's not intimidated by playing on the road
- Spider Fans will be sauced up and vocal (at least Legger, me and
BigHouse will be)

Actually, I think this one is to close to call but should be a good game. Looking forward to seeing the Spiders back on the field.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think Richmond will have the guns to go punch for punch with Elon in an offensive battle.

If the Spiders are able to run the ball, churn the clock, and keep Riddle and Hudgins on the sidelines, they will win going away.

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
having watched in person both of these teams play app state last year i think richmond will win

DLS
August 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM

co-signed

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM

I'm debating whether there is any "great" linebacking corps left in this conference. The spread offense has forced even stallwart Furman to abandon the 4-3 to get another safety on the field.

There's not a team in this conference who I would say has a very good defense. I suppose one teams linebackers are just as good as anothers these days.

furman94
August 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, offenses in the Socon are a completely different story though!

WrenFGun
August 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Um, Santos put 38 up on Richmond. That said, that defense should get better with age.

I think Richmond is going to throttle Elon, to be honest. With Grayson, Ward and Vaughn, with that young and talented defense, I don't think Elon has much of a shot. Richmond and JMU are two of the three best teams in the country, with APP.

Mountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I'm debating whether there is any "great" linebacking corps left in this conference. The spread offense has forced even stallwart Furman to abandon the 4-3 to get another safety on the field.

There's not a team in this conference who I would say has a very good defense. I suppose one teams linebackers are just as good as anothers these days.

I realize you're conditioned to drink the Purple Kool-Aid. xlolx But those three are as good as advertised and are going to get better. Did you even see Smith at all last year? He was wrecking ball as a freshman.

Reign of Terrier
August 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Personally I think Wofford has a great LB corps (maybe best in conference) because:
A)All Seniors
B)All with significant playing time
C) 3 of 4 were starters last year
D) Significant depth
E) Good at stopping run last year (4 of front 7 are LBs) we'll be good at stopping the run this year (5 of front 7 are seniors with significant experience)

ur2k
August 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Um, Santos put 38 up on Richmond. That said, that defense should get better with age.

I think Richmond is going to throttle Elon, to be honest. With Grayson, Ward and Vaughn, with that young and talented defense, I don't think Elon has much of a shot. Richmond and JMU are two of the three best teams in the country, with APP.

But we put up 45. Off the topic at hand, but that was an absolutely great game. I forgot about it until I just read your post. Santos was a beast in that game. Richmond finally got some pressure on him in the 4th quarter and sacked him a few times on the final drives.

I also hope the Elon game goes like you say. They say we have some new speed at the other wide outs so if a team loads up against Grayson, we have other weapons.

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM
PhoenixPhanatic21 - that Mayers pic is one of my favorites... stupid app.

I just cant wrap my head around the idea that the team I watched barely get double digit wins while i was there (03-06) can pull it off. That said, its definately not the same team, we've got some real talent. And that we even have a chance is a helluva lot better than where this program was. Im crazy pumped for this one, should be great.

phoenixphanatic21
August 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
PhoenixPhanatic21 - that Mayers pic is one of my favorites... stupid app.

xnodx That picture is one of my all-time favorites, easily one of my two favorite Elon pictures, with the one below being the other. Stupid app indeed. But oh well. We shall beat Richmond AND App this year and we will all be happy...least that's how it went down in a dream I had once. That's almost as good, right? xnodx