PDA

View Full Version : Coulson's at it again....

GrizzlyEdd
August 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
"3. Montana (11-1, 8-0, first)
The Grizzlies will need big performances from stars such as Bergquist and Anderson and for plenty of inexperienced performers to step up on defense and at receiver for Montana to compete for another Big Sky title and playoff berth.
Bergquist is one of the top quarterbacks in the country in clutch situations, but needs to play more consistently throughout games. Running back Thomas Brooks-Fletcher and fullback Kevin Klaboe could help give the Grizzlies a solid running game, but Marc Mariani and Rob Schulte (29 combined catches) need to develop quickly at the receiver positions.
The offensive line could be the best in FCS with center J.D. Quinn, guard Colin Dow and tackle Brent Russum potential All-Americans and plenty of depth behind them.
There are seven starters back on defense, but defensive tackle Craig Mettler and linebackers Loren Utterback and Tyler Joyce are among the players who will need to step up. The hard-hitting Anderson is the only member of the secondary returning.
Besides losing the dependable Carpenter at kicker, the Grizzlies must also replace one of the top punters in the Big Sky, Tyson Johnson."

xshakingmadx

Loren Utterback and Tyler Joyce graduated last year Coulson... get your poop in a group if ya want any cred around the FCS.... and he does this for a living....xeekxxasswhipx

GOKATS
August 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Might as well add this one regarding MT ST.

The Bobcats lost quarterbacks Jack Rolovich and Cory Carpenter to graduation, but Oregon transfer Cody Kempt, JC transfer Mark Iddins or sophomore Jordan Rasmussen should provide a talented replacement.

Rasmussen left the team within days of the Cats signing Kempt. xrolleyesx

I won't waste my time with my opinion of what his Big Sky order of finish is.xoopsx

cats2506
August 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
You would think that if he is not going to do the research to avoid making these kinds of stupid mistakes, he wouldnt write about it. You cant just BS your way through these kinds of stories.

Grizaholic17
August 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
On top of that, those two players were great for the grizzlies. Tyler Joyce anchoring the entire defense. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

This just solidifies the fact that Coulson does not stay in touch with all FCS, shame on him.

McTailGator
August 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
"3. Montana (11-1, 8-0, first)
The Grizzlies will need big performances from stars such as Bergquist and Anderson and for plenty of inexperienced performers to step up on defense and at receiver for Montana to compete for another Big Sky title and playoff berth.
Bergquist is one of the top quarterbacks in the country in clutch situations, but needs to play more consistently throughout games. Running back Thomas Brooks-Fletcher and fullback Kevin Klaboe could help give the Grizzlies a solid running game, but Marc Mariani and Rob Schulte (29 combined catches) need to develop quickly at the receiver positions.
The offensive line could be the best in FCS with center J.D. Quinn, guard Colin Dow and tackle Brent Russum potential All-Americans and plenty of depth behind them.
There are seven starters back on defense, but defensive tackle Craig Mettler and linebackers Loren Utterback and Tyler Joyce are among the players who will need to step up. The hard-hitting Anderson is the only member of the secondary returning.
Besides losing the dependable Carpenter at kicker, the Grizzlies must also replace one of the top punters in the Big Sky, Tyson Johnson."

xshakingmadx

Loren Utterback and Tyler Joyce graduated last year Coulson... get your poop in a group if ya want any cred around the FCS.... and he does this for a living....xeekxxasswhipx

Yep,

He totally screwed up his half @$$ analysis of McNeese by talking up a couple of players (Chris Bush at TailBack and C. Franklin WR) as being BIG impact players.

The problem(s) is THEY BOTH GRADUATED LAST YEAR and Bush was a FB not a tailback.

CopperCat
August 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
On top of that, those two players were great for the grizzlies. Tyler Joyce anchoring the entire defense. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

This just solidifies the fact that Coulson does not stay in touch with FCS teams other than ASU.

There, fixed it for ya.xlolx

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Grizaholic17
August 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
There, fixed it for ya.xlolx

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Almost said that myself. But didn't want to start smack. :p

Grizo406
August 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM
BFD!

In his article, he could have said "Head Coach, Don Read has high hopes for starting QB, Dave Dickenson, in the upcoming 2008 season...", and I wouldn't really give a *****! He got our win/loss record right, and thats good enough for me!

I might be the only Griz fan that likes him, and what he brings to the FCS, but I can pretty much guarantee you that I'm not the only Griz fan that reads his articles...xwhistlex

appstate38
August 11th, 2008, 10:07 PM
You know Griz fans, Coulson is a App homer but I guess he keeps picking against because he figures he will be right eventually. As far as talking about players that are no longer a part of the program.... I have nothing to offer for cover on his behalf. Maybe it was the cough medicine that had him a little loopy.xoopsx

CID1990
August 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Doesn't he live in Boone?

If so, you should be glad he even knows Wyoming HAS a football team.

What? Montana?!?

slycat
August 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Well didn't someone on this board say that the reason SN hasn't been putting up as many articles is because the editor is slow? Maybe he wrote part of the this last year.;)

Good article aside from a few mistakes. I'm just glad theres a new one to read.

Tribe4SF
August 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
BFD!

In his article, he could have said "Head Coach, Don Read has high hopes for starting QB, Dave Dickenson, in the upcoming 2008 season...", and I wouldn't really give a *****! He got our win/loss record right, and thats good enough for me!

I might be the only Griz fan that likes him, and what he brings to the FCS, but I can pretty much guarantee you that I'm not the only Griz fan that reads his articles...xwhistlex

Sorry, Grizo, but that's just bad journalism. If you're going to be the premier FCS writer in the country, that kind of sloppiness just won't do. You can get a player wrong if you're writing about Valparaiso, but to do it on a top program like Montana just shows he doesn't know their team.

I was encouraged by his top QB article, but this creates concern about how long Mr. C will hang on.

CoastalFan2005
August 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hi, just poking my head in...xsmiley_wix

cats2506
August 12th, 2008, 12:11 AM
This article on the Big Sky looks like it was written in a few minutes without any real research, I dont see any of the things that are new to this year meentioned except the EWU coach. I dont really care where he places different teams since it doesnt really matter, but if you are going to do a review of the BSC you should really research the teams a little rather than look at what happened last year and write an article.

I see that he has been making changes, trying to cover his @ss

There are seven starters back on defense. Defensive tackle Craig Mettler and the hard-hitting Anderson - the only member of the secondary returning - are among the standouts.

this was about UM, maybe I'm wrong but didnt UM LOSE sever starters on D.

The Bobcats lost quarterbacks Jack Rolovich and Cory Carpenter to graduation, but Oregon transfer Cody Kempt or JC transfer Mark Iddins should provide a talented replacement.

The coaches are still saying that it is a 3 way competition for QB.

His corrections are not even correct

mvemjsunpx
August 12th, 2008, 02:01 AM
this was about UM, maybe I'm wrong but didnt UM LOSE sever starters on D.

Actually, the Griz lost 8 starters on D. Craig Mettler, Mike Stadnyk, & Colt Anderson are the only returning starters, though a few others (namely Tyler Corwin) have had significant playing time.

It's been 6 weeks since Coulson's last article & he still apparently didn't have enough time to get this one right, even on the second try.

uofmman1122
August 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM
The coaches are still saying that it is a 3 way competition for QB.

His corrections are not even correctI don't think he's too far off on that, though.

If Desin ends up the starter, I'll streak the UM vs. SUU game. xlolxxthumbsupx

appfan2008
August 12th, 2008, 07:13 AM
it really is too bad that he cant get these things right bc fcs could use a good national voice

SoCon48
August 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM
All I can say is, dayum!

APP91
August 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Doesn't he live in Boone?

If so, you should be glad he even knows Wyoming HAS a football team.

What? Montana?!?

Nope, Philly, I believe. Moved a couple of years ago.
Fresno St. Grad

cats2506
August 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I don't think he's too far off on that, though.

If Desin ends up the starter, I'll streak the UM vs. SUU game. xlolxxthumbsupx

Point taken that it likley will be Iddins or Kempt, but as of yesterday Ash has said that Desin is still in the mix for the #1 spot and getting equal reps with the other two.

andy7171
August 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Link?

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
SO how is Lynch looking for App St this year I hear he's a real impact player.

xrolleyesx xconfusedx

I also hear the cats are moving up to the FCS this year good for the ag school.

P.S. Tony Moss rarely made these kind of mistakes and Yes I know Lynch graduated last year. I know this even living on the other side of the country and this isn't even my job.

BDKJMU
August 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, well Coulson forgot to mention how Lezotte could be JMU's 1st 5 time All American...xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Santos is back again with Ball isn't he?

I remember when they play us back in 1997 and Ball was hurt but Santos had a decent game against us.

CrazyCat
August 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Link?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/indexpic.htm

WCU LawCat
August 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Guys I hear Jayson Foster moved to defense this year so he can try to be the first player ever to get the Payton AND the Buchanan xlolx

GrizzlyEdd
August 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I just checked out the story again and Mr. Coulson has edited it to leave out Utterback and Joyce's names.... at least he knows how to edit....xlolx

Maybe he will be a little more thorough with his musings from here on out....:o

It is called RESEARCH and GETTING THE FACTS STRAIGHT COULSON!!xreadxxrolleyesx

Ivytalk
August 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Dave's Ivy League reporting has always been good. I don't understand the hostility in this thread.

cats2506
August 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Dave's Ivy League reporting has always been good. I don't understand the hostility in this thread.

This kind of stuff is par for the course for Coulson, nothing new. One of the few things that both Cats and griz will agree on is that Coulson is no good.

McNeese75
August 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I just checked out the story again and Mr. Coulson has edited it to leave out Utterback and Joyce's names.... at least he knows how to edit....xlolx

Maybe he will be a little more thorough with his musings from here on out....:o

It is called RESEARCH and GETTING THE FACTS STRAIGHT COULSON!!xreadxxrolleyesx

I see he has corrected the McNeese blurb as well xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
August 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I see he has corrected the McNeese blurb as well xthumbsupx

So.......... he reads AGS and edits well......... And is 3-0 in national champ predictions......................... Whats wrong with that ???

xsmiley_wix

Tod
August 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
So much hatred...xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

McNeese75
August 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
So.......... he reads AGS and edits well......... And is 3-0 in national champ predictions......................... Whats wrong with that ???

xsmiley_wix

Hey, it's tough to work with a couple thousand editors xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Man guys, he made a mistake and I'm sure he regrets not getting it right the first time but it seems like some of you are taking a lot of joy with this. I don't read the The Spiriting News anymore because I started noticing last summer what seemed to be a lack of coverage on the teams out west and conference preview type of materials last summer. I'm not trying to change your opinion about the guy but to read your comments and the amount of schaedenfreude even when he most likely read comments on here and then corrected the mistakes seems pretty punitive.

seantaylor
August 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Coulson is a giant joke. But, he does he a sweet mullet.

CoastalFan2005
August 13th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Man guys, he made a mistake and I'm sure he regrets not getting it right the first time but it seems like some of you are taking a lot of joy with this.

It's not that he made this one mistake.

It's the mistakes he continually makes year after year after year (like the glaring ones he made in his preview of the Big South in last year's Sports Network Big South article, which included entire sections on how players would contribute to their teams when those players had already graduated).

It's the obvious bias he often displays (especially in his write-ups of Appalachian State).

It's also about the unverified "scoops" he claims to have information on (like when he accused CCU of "illegal/backhanded recruiting" with no source to back it up - we've still seen no source to verify what he extolled as truth).

I do have to give him credit for going back and correcting his mistakes this time. That's more than he's done in the past.

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM

It's the mistakes he continually makes year after year after year (like the glaring ones he made in his preview of the Big South in last year's Sports Network Big South article, which included entire sections on how players would contribute to their teams when those players had already graduated).

It's the obvious bias he often displays (especially in his write-ups of Appalachian State).

It's also about the unverified "scoops" he claims to have information on (like when he accused CCU of "illegal/backhanded recruiting" with no source to back it up - we've still seen no source to verify what he extolled as truth).

I do have to give him credit for going back and correcting his mistakes this time. That's more than he's done in the past.

I remember the CCU recruiting comments. CCU have stolen one from App somewhere along the way.

The way I see his App bias is through the lack of important news coverage from Western (Apps rival). No mention of the hiring of WCU's new coach last year when pretty much every new coach in FCS got an article of some type. The only hire in the SoCon for 2008...the conferance he knows the most about.xreadx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Was this last year or this year's recruiting? Like I said I don't go to the site anymore but that does seem a little tabloid instead of actual news. Do any of you try to get ahold of someone at website to report the errors and make your complaints known to someone?

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Was this last year or this year's recruiting? Like I said I don't go to the site anymore but that does seem a little tabloid instead of actual news. Do any of you try to get ahold of someone at website to report the errors and make your complaints known to someone?

The illegal recruiting comments came on AGS where "Mr. C" got into a discusion battle with some AGS members including some Coastal fans. That was about 2 years ago before he was at TSN and only writing for I-AA.org and ASU. Back then Coastal was a good upstart team and the Apps and Chants got after each other pretty good on the board. The comments didn't come in the form of an article or news. "Mr. C" started posting about things he had heard from coaches and people etc.

CoastalFan2005
August 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
This post goes on forever and branches into a couple different topics, mainly due to the fact that I worked on it over a couple hours and had to research old posts on 2 different websites. Sorry.

Was this last year or this year's recruiting? Like I said I don't go to the site anymore but that does seem a little tabloid instead of actual news.

This whole thing got started back when the "Who's Coming To Dinner? SoCon Special Edition" was going on (2006). It was between mainly between CCU and Samford as to who might get the invite to join the conference - Coulson provided his "inside scoop" as to why we wouldn't get in.

Supposedly, our coaches were running around telling recruits that the coaching staffs of ASU and WCU were going to be fired. Keep in mind, he first posted this rumor in a thread that was about getting a definitive source for rumors. This rumor (which is what it was) remains unsubstantiated, now over 2 years later.

Here's his posts from the thread this all went down:

...On the subject of Coastal Carolina, there are still MAJOR obstacles for the Chanticleers to overcome. There are a whole bunch of members still very much opposed to CCU joining. That is a fact. Unless the new commish can change some views, CCU will not get an invite in the near future.

Here we go again. I wasn't bashing Coastal Carolina, I was just passing along some insight on a subject that I do know something about. I talk to people around the SoCon all of the time, who share info about a variety of subjects. No one is going to go on the record "officially" about this subject, but there are people at all of the schools who will give you a feel for what they have heard. When a recruit tells coaches what other schools are saying about your program and how they are telling recruits that coaching staffs are about to be fired, etc., the word gets around. That is common knowledge around the SoCon. And Coastal Carolina cost itself A LOT of support by doing that. CCU coaches were telling recruits that Jerry Moore, last year's I-AA AFCA coach of the year and national champion coach, was about to fired, along with his staff during recruiting before the 2005 season. They said the same thing about Kent Briggs and the Western Carolina staff. Here this guy is fighting cancer and some CCU coaches are pulling that crap. Lying is lying and it has NO place in recruiting. Tell the kids what a great program you have, don't do all of this negative stuff. The facts are that CCU went from being a school that had a lot of support to one that didn't in a short length of time and the actions of the assistants were a major reason for that erosion. I'm sorry that some folks from CCU don't like it, but that is what SoCon people are saying. I am under no obligation to quote people in a message board, unless I choose to, though a multitude of head coaches, assistants and support people from several different schools have confirmed this. You can choose to believe me, or not believe me. That is your choice. Like a lot of people around here, most of us choose to participate in this board as a community and we all do a lot to provide information and opinions on a variety of subjects. I'm sorry that some people take honesty so personally.

You can peruse that thread (start with his first post that I linked above and read to the end of the thread for the stuff about CCU) for yourself to read how the whole thing got started.

Do any of you try to get ahold of someone at website to report the errors and make your complaints known to someone?

I'm not sure it would do much good. Coulson has responded to his critics here on AGS by neg repping them and sending messages such as, "So where is your conference preview, buddy? Let me see your work, so I can pick it apart," which to me is akin to saying "Oh yeah? Well...well...I know you are, but what am I?!?" (That message was his reply to criticism over the Big South article - the poster it was sent to posted it over at CoastalFans, which is where I quoted it from.)

Also, Ralph used to make his way over to CoastalFans and tell us how wrong we were for criticizing Coulson (this is just an example):

... A 'national reporter' David Coulson has covered App State for a long time and I feel is generally an ASU homer. He has no love for us and also tries to discredit us. He put out a rumor a month or two ago...
...roka better look in the mirror and look up the facts before smearing someone or else you'll look the fool. A simple search at I-AA.org will show you Coulson has always written favorably about CCU (EDIT: no, he really hasn't) but not so much good stuff about some blowhards that are CCU homers. It is so obvious you post as a homer, are you a radio guy?
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Gawd this is tiresome... :? Why can't some CCU fans grow up?

Sorry, but when Coulson does things like characterize our loss to App in the '06 playoffs as a "thrashing" (when we wound up scoring more points against them than any of their other playoff opponents, as well as [if I remember correctly] passing for more yards than any other QB they faced), he's going to catch criticism. When he does things like go to the ASU @ Michigan game instead of the National FCS Game of the Week when he's the head columnist for TSN, he's going to catch criticism.

I'd love to try and get someone to do something about it, but it's been this way for years now (in the years I've been posting on AGS and CoastalFans, it hasn't changed). I doubt it'll change any time soon.

However, I will restate my praise for him going back and fixing the mistakes he made this time. Again, that's more than I can remember him ever doing in the past.

catbob
August 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM
We got into a big fight with Ralph on Bobcatnation. Ralph claims Mr. C is not Coulson, blah blah blah.

That is one of the main reasons Bobcatnation boycotts TSN, we have zero respect for Ralph from that big fight. Not to mention we don't love Coulson anyway.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks CoastalFan, I'm sure that was a good amount of searching and so forth. I didn't know anything about that stuff and it does seem like a fairly slanted take on things. It is interesting as to how he described Montana in 2004 as running up the score on UNH but when App beats someone handily they lay a thrashing on the other team. the same thing happened but it is a different way to describe it for the respective teams.

Tribe4SF
August 14th, 2008, 11:50 PM
We got into a big fight with Ralph on Bobcatnation. Ralph claims Mr. C is not Coulson, blah blah blah.

That is one of the main reasons Bobcatnation boycotts TSN, we have zero respect for Ralph from that big fight. Not to mention we don't love Coulson anyway.

I can't imagine Ralph would claim that. He may have said you don't KNOW it's Coulson. It would be silly anyway. Mr. C has responded to me in PMs regarding comments I made on Dave's writing. It's certainly common knowledge.

CoastalFan2005
August 14th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I can't imagine Ralph would claim that. He may have said you don't KNOW it's Coulson. It would be silly anyway. Mr. C has responded to me in PMs regarding comments I made on Dave's writing. It's certainly common knowledge.

It has been so claimed in the past. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a way to search Asterisk Man's posts anymore to provide substantiating evidence for that. I do remember it being said, though.