PDA

View Full Version : Most likely playoff team not in auto-qualifying conference

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
xeyebrowx

I welcome suggestions for adjustments to the poll.

uofmman1122
August 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Their schedule is tough, but I think Cal Poly is the most likely playoff caliber team.

SuperJon
August 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Call me a homer, but I watch this team every day and know what they've got more than most people.

TheValleyRaider
August 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Cal Poly, and it's not even close

This is a team we're talking about as possibly a pseudo-dark horse for the National Title

No disrespect to Liberty, Albany or others, but Cal Poly looks like more than just a playoff participant this season xnodx

SuperJon
August 8th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I admitted I was a homer. I can justify why I think we'll be in the playoffs. I can't justify why I think we're the most likely of a non-auto to get in.

TheValleyRaider
August 8th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I admitted I was a homer. I can justify why I think we'll be in the playoffs. I can't justify why I think we're the most likely of a non-auto to get in.

Just in case you were wondering, my post wasn't directed at you xpeacex

Nothing wrong with picking your guys. Liberty intrigues me, but mostly from the standpoint of we don't have much to compare them to. Cal Poly intrigues because they potentially could do real damage. On the other hand, this could change by the end of September once you've both got big OOC games under your belts

SuperJon
August 8th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I just wanna know who voted for Coastal and why? Their starting QB just got out of the hospital and has never played a college game. Their #2 QB came into camp out of shape. Their #3 QB showed how bad he was last year. They lost the best play wide receiver in FCS football to graduation, and one of their top players was just ruled academically ineligible. Is it a pick based on reputation? Is it a homer pick from Coastal fans (I'm ok with that)? I just want to know how someone is justifying that pick.

DetroitFlyer
August 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
No PFL teams? The PFL is going to be brutal this season. San Diego, Dayton, Davidson and Morehead State are all expected to compete for the championship. Drake could be a sleeper as well. Whatever team wins the PFL would be playoff worthy. Unfortunately, with the EXTREME bias in the world of FCS against "non-scholarship" teams, a PFL team would have to go 12-0. Not likely given the parity in the league this season.

appfan2008
August 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
No PFL teams? The PFL is going to be brutal this season. San Diego, Dayton, Davidson and Morehead State are all expected to compete for the championship. Drake could be a sleeper as well. Whatever team wins the PFL would be playoff worthy. Unfortunately, with the EXTREME bias in the world of FCS against "non-scholarship" teams, a PFL team would have to go 12-0. Not likely given the parity in the league this season.

WAWAWAWA
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

OldFootballGuy
August 8th, 2008, 08:09 AM

A 12-0 PFL team does not belong in the playoffs. Until you play a schedule comparable to the other playoff teams, you have no argument.

dgreco
August 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
albany

UAalum72
August 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Even NEC and Big South league champions need to win two games against autobid league teams to have a shot at a bid (let alone ranking in the polls). The entire PFL plays five such games, and I don't like Jacksonville's chances vs. App.

I'd be okay with a bid for all league champs, but given the real world conditions, which PFL team is more likely than those listed to get a bid?

Or just put Dayton in the poll and see how many votes they get.

DetroitFlyer
August 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
A 12-0 PFL team does not belong in the playoffs. Until you play a schedule comparable to the other playoff teams, you have no argument.

Dayton, for example, plays 11 FCS games and one Division II game in 2008.... Care to try again?

RabidRabbit
August 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Poly has the team, the challenging schedule, only USD Coyotes as a non-counter, to be in the play-offs with an 8-4 record or better.

Likewise, UC-Davis has a legitimate shot, but less quality (fewer top 25) opponents, and their non-counter is UND, a likely tougher opponent than USD. If they are 8-4 and wins over Poly and Montana, then they would be in.

Cenn CT - Plays at NDSU early. Without beating the Bison, not a prayer.

Liberty - Needs to win a FBS and beat Youngstown, two unlikely occurrences.

Albany - Who's your OOC? sorry didn't memorize all 123 FCS schedules.

OldFootballGuy
August 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Dayton, for example, plays 11 FCS games and one Division II game in 2008.... Care to try again?

My original point is still valid. Until the PFL plays a schedule comparable to the other playoff teams, there is no reason to include them in the playoff discussions. The PFL is FCS in name only, and only because of the ridiculous NCAA rule requiring all sports to play in Division 1 if basketball plays in DI. They should have been allowed to continue to play in DIII where they could have competed for a championship. I understand the frustration. It has to be difficult to play the whole season with no shot at anything more, but the PFL simply doesn't belong in the playoffs right now.

UAalum72
August 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Albany - Who's your OOC? sorry didn't memorize all 123 FCS schedules.
@UMass, @Hofstra, @New Hampshire, @Delaware

DetroitFlyer
August 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
My original point is still valid. Until the PFL plays a schedule comparable to the other playoff teams, there is no reason to include them in the playoff discussions. The PFL is FCS in name only, and only because of the ridiculous NCAA rule requiring all sports to play in Division 1 if basketball plays in DI. They should have been allowed to continue to play in DIII where they could have competed for a championship. I understand the frustration. It has to be difficult to play the whole season with no shot at anything more, but the PFL simply doesn't belong in the playoffs right now.

Pretty obvious that you do not know ANYTHING about the current state of the PFL. Here is a tip to help you out.... Go and ask 2007 playoff participant Fordham or NEC champion Albany if the PFL champion belonged in the playoffs in 2007.... PLEASE document for me the overwhelming reasons that the OVC, MEAC and PL champions belong in the playoffs while the PFL champion does not.... Maybe you are just stuck back in 1993.... Jump ahead to 2008 and open your eyes....

Yeah, there were plenty of Division III teams that sent four players to NFL camps after the 2007 season.... Oh yeah, NOT!!!! San Diego, however had one player drafted, ( JJ signed a 4 year deal with Tampa Bay ), and three others that signed free agent contracts. Oh yeah, San Diego did not even win the PFL last season.... Please try to get a clue before you respond next time....

RabidRabbit
August 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
@UMass, @Hofstra, @New Hampshire, @Delaware

Go 2-2 on those 4, and win NEC, should be in. Good challenging OOC! xbowx xbowx

DetroitFlyer
August 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Go 2-2 on those 4, and win NEC, should be in. Good challenging OOC! xbowx xbowx

Agree, but.... Albany has been playing extremely difficult schedules for years, and has not won most of those tough games.... App State would be lucky to go 2-2 against that OOC schedule, especially with every game being on the road.... Then throw in a tough NEC schedule, and it just ain't happening.... Albany went undefeated in the NEC in 2007, but that just is not going to happen every season. Just more BS that a NEC team or even worse, a PFL team has to walk on freakin water to get a playoff sniff, while the teams of the PL, OVC, and MEAC enjoy a bid every season, and sometimes even two bids.... Maybe this is why the NEC and Big South were awarded AQ's by 2010.... You can only hide behind the outright BS for so long.... Even if you are the NCAA.

Tribe4SF
August 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM

That's right....no PFL teams. The only extreme bias around here is yours for the PFL. Any objective view will lead to the conclusion that middle-of-the-pack, non-playoff teams from the Missouri Valley, SoCon or CAA would run away with the PFL championship.

SuperJon
August 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Liberty - Needs to win a FBS and beat Youngstown, two unlikely occurrences.

We don't have an FBS game. Our top two opponents rankings wise are Youngstown and Elon. We came a point from beating an FCS school last year so I somewhat question your reasoning for "two unlikely occurrences."

What you have to look at with our schedule is the new earned access for non auto-bid leagues. You have to have eight Division I wins, two wins over schools from playoff-bid leagues, and being the top 16 in the rankings and you're automatically in. Now, the first two parts of that seem highly likely for us. If we go undefeated in conference, we have four chances to pick up the extra two wins (Western Carolina, Lafayette, Youngstown, and Elon). To get the top 16 ranking, we'll have to beat the last two on that list. However, after as good as we were the second half of last year, if we have no more than two losses and are competitive in those games, I think the committee puts us in and sends us to a seeded team. People on here don't respect Liberty and that's fine, but coaches and people who know the game of football that have seen us play realize where we're at and the potential we have. We haven't earned anything yet, but we're on the right track and pretty close to it.

DetroitFlyer
August 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
That's right....no PFL teams. The only extreme bias around here is yours for the PFL. Any objective view will lead to the conclusion that middle-of-the-pack, non-playoff teams from the Missouri Valley, SoCon or CAA would run away with the PFL championship.

Yep, just like Illinois State did last season against Drake.... Care to try again?xlolx

SteelCurtain
August 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Yep, just like Illinois State did last season against Drake.... Care to try again?xlolx

I wouldn't exactly call Ill. St. middle of the pack..They were 4-7 with two wins in the conference...

Like he said..any middle of the pack team would dominate that league with ease..

UAalum72
August 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't exactly call Ill. St. middle of the pack..They were 4-7 with two wins in the conference...
Neither was Drake - they had four conference losses with the fifth-best Pioneer League record.

JetsLuvver
August 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Not to stir up an old debate, but I think it's wrong that there are even non-automatic conferences. If the NCAA started arbitrarily excluding the champions of "weak" conferences from basketball, baseball or another sport's tournament, there would be much outcry.

JetsLuvver
August 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Aside from Dayton, which has carved out a niche as sort of a non-scholarship powerhouse, to me the Pioneer League seems like a collection of misfits and oddballs.

Drake, Morehead, and Davidson are all in big-name FCS leagues, but are either unwilling or unable to upgrade. Why their "native" conferences allow them to compete in another league for a sport sponsored by the conference I don't understand.

Campbell seems to have its eye on full-fledged scholarship ball (Big South), as does Jacksonville (Either SoCon or Big South likely homes).

San Diego, Butler and Valpo all come from conferences that have zero interest in football, and Marist is a refugee from the failed MAAC.

I could see PFL eventually splitting, if only because of its ridiculous geography.

crusader11
August 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Patriot League is non-scholarship and gets plenty of respect. And you are right, the PFL is going to be brutal...brutal to watch.

Peems
August 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I voted Cal Poly, but it could be tough depending on how the first three games go. San Diego St, Montana, McNeese are all very tough games, and Cal Poly's record could range anywhere from 3-0 to 0-3.

GannonFan
August 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Pssst- hey DF, the PFL's not in the playoffs because the schools in the PFL (and their Presidents) don't want to be in the playoffs. The NEC and the Big South just got autos, meaning pretty much all the PFL had to do was to ask and they would've likely gotten one too. All your NCAA conspiracies are cute and all, but your own school and conference apparently don't share your views. But hey, rant away all you want. :p

stevdock
August 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
PFL or no PFL teams, to answer the question it has still got to be Cal-Poly. Based on their team make-up and strength of schedule, it's not even close. There should have only been one option for this question.

X-Factor
August 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone who does not pick Cal Poly in this poll is a complete homer end of story. These guys are loaded with talent this year, and unlike some of the teams listed, actually play a legitimate schedule to be considered a likely candidate for a bid.

OldFootballGuy
August 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Pretty obvious that you do not know ANYTHING about the current state of the PFL. Here is a tip to help you out.... Go and ask 2007 playoff participant Fordham or NEC champion Albany if the PFL champion belonged in the playoffs in 2007.... PLEASE document for me the overwhelming reasons that the OVC, MEAC and PL champions belong in the playoffs while the PFL champion does not.... Maybe you are just stuck back in 1993.... Jump ahead to 2008 and open your eyes....

Yeah, there were plenty of Division III teams that sent four players to NFL camps after the 2007 season.... Oh yeah, NOT!!!! San Diego, however had one player drafted, ( JJ signed a 4 year deal with Tampa Bay ), and three others that signed free agent contracts. Oh yeah, San Diego did not even win the PFL last season.... Please try to get a clue before you respond next time....

No need for all the hostility. I simply stated my opinion, which you have done nothing yet to refute. Play a representative schedule comparable to the other playoff teams and post a comparable record and I'll be 100% in favor of PFL inclusion in the playoffs. Until then, it is just so much bellyaching.

Seawolf97
August 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Cal Poly is the best of the that group by farxnodx

Poly Pigskin
August 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I voted Cal Poly, but it could be tough depending on how the first three games go. San Diego St, Montana, McNeese are all very tough games, and Cal Poly's record could range anywhere from 3-0 to 0-3.

The schedule scares the crap out of me. The 3 you listed plus @SDSU (lost there last year), UCD (you can never predict this outcome), and of couse @Wisconsin to wrap up the season. And the fact that we only have 11 games with USD as a non-counter...no margin for error whatsoever. I think we'll make it, but just barely.

AggieFinn
August 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Agreed, schedule is funky, but I think Poly can take SDSU.